Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What describes you?

• No way would I build a hackintosh

Votes: 349 23.0%
  • I'd consider it if Apple doesn't provide a new Mini or headless iMac in the next three months

Votes: 185 12.2%
  • I'm considering it right now

Votes: 578 38.2%
  • I already built one

Votes: 403 26.6%

• Total voters

Jack Flash

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2007
yes i do! there is a program that does it! but i forget the name :( hopefully somebody will know.. sorry!

Found SwitchResX but was hoping there was a way to simply add the resolution to the existing Display Pref. Pane. How do they force the resolution on the Mini 9?

macrem

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2008
After further consideration I guess if you're actually hacking some code yourself to get OS X working on a PC, there is a sense of accomplishment to get it working; however, we already know it's doable and if you're just following some online instrux, downloading pirated software which could be altered to spy on you, etc. then I fail to see the point...

You're totally missing the Mac hardware experience and getting a subpar software experience (problems with upgrades, etc.). I still think if you like to tinker better to get a Mac with OS X and then tinker around with Linux instead. I'd rather buy a used Mac if $$ is the issue to have a true Mac experience.

Donar

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
Germany
There is no need to pirate software for building a Hackintosh. From my point of view used Macs are overpriced - i would rather buy a new one. And no it is not "lack of funds" that let me build my Hack, it's the missing model in Apples lineup: A consumer grade tower. Apple decided to not serve this market, so here we are.

djellison

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2007
Pasadena CA
You're totally missing the Mac hardware experience

How? The Mac 'hardware experience' spends it's time under a desk when it comes to a hackintosh. £500 rather than £2000 for a high performing desktop computer running OSX.

Second hand doesn't come close to bridge that chasm.

macrem

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2008
Just read about boot-132 & see what you guys mean...although technically speaking I guess it's not really a "hackintosh" anymore, it seems to be legal (assuming OS X is purchased) & risk free.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Found SwitchResX but was hoping there was a way to simply add the resolution to the existing Display Pref. Pane. How do they force the resolution on the Mini 9?

thats the program!, but im not sure how to put it into the existing preferences pane. i tried a quick google to custom change the settings, but nothing came up :( sorry

NoSmokingBandit

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2008
Just read about boot-132 & see what you guys mean...although technically speaking I guess it's not really a "hackintosh" anymore, it seems to be legal (assuming OS X is purchased) & risk free.

The DMCA violations are illegal, but only if the courts decide its ok that apple ties OSX to their own hardware, which is part of what Psystar is in court about. Boot-132 doesnt make anything more legit, just much easier. All the hacks are in place, just on a different partition.

nullx86

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2009
Wilmington/Jacksonville, NC
The DMCA violations are illegal, but only if the courts decide its ok that apple ties OSX to their own hardware, which is part of what Psystar is in court about. Boot-132 doesnt make anything more legit, just much easier. All the hacks are in place, just on a different partition.

And apple will never be able to do that. Wanna know why? Get technical. Does Apple own nvidia, samsung, toshiba, realtek, broadcom and a crapload of other companies? NO. Therefore, apple does not "technically" own that hardware fully 100%, which means they cant claim its their own. In Apple's TOS it says to use it only on Apple-labeled hardware, which as far as I'm concerned, is a PC with an Apple sticker. Also, as far as I'm concerned, until Apple comes out with a 8.9inch netbook, I'm rolling my own.

snakesqzns

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2007

Even with the DMCA, you can legally break copy protection on items you already own. You cannot however instruct others how to break copyright protections or distribute tools to do so.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
And apple will never be able to do that. Wanna know why? Get technical. Does Apple own nvidia, samsung, toshiba, realtek, broadcom and a crapload of other companies? NO. Therefore, apple does not "technically" own that hardware fully 100%, which means they cant claim its their own. In Apple's TOS it says to use it only on Apple-labeled hardware, which as far as I'm concerned, is a PC with an Apple sticker. Also, as far as I'm concerned, until Apple comes out with a 8.9inch netbook, I'm rolling my own.

yeah, good luck with that argument. because that's how the law works.

not.

NoSmokingBandit

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2008
Even with the DMCA, you can legally break copy protection on items you already own. You cannot however instruct others how to break copyright protections or distribute tools to do so.
The DMCA is such a mess, it should never exist.

In Apple's TOS it says to use it only on Apple-labeled hardware, which as far as I'm concerned, is a PC with an Apple sticker.
I agree. I want to get some custom-made case stickers that have the apple logo on it. Kinda like those old square AMD stickers. Slap one of those on my case just for giggles.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California

Um, no.

`(a) VIOLATIONS REGARDING CIRCUMVENTION OF TECHNOLOGICAL MEASURES- (1)(A) No person shall circumvent a technological measure that effectively controls access to a work protected under this title. The prohibition contained in the preceding sentence shall take effect at the end of the 2-year period beginning on the date of the enactment of this chapter.

There is no exemption that applies to "items you already own" (other than certain specific enumerated circumstances (http://www.copyright.gov/1201/)

The DMCA is such a mess, it should never exist.

I agree. I want to get some custom-made case stickers that have the apple logo on it. Kinda like those old square AMD stickers. Slap one of those on my case just for giggles.

Note that Apple's now talking about "apple-branded" (http://images.apple.com/legal/sla/docs/macosx106.pdf). And unless Apple comes to your house and puts the sticker on for you, that wouldn't pass legal muster even under the "apple labelled" stuff.

snakesqzns

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2007
Um, no.

`(a) VIOLATIONS REGARDING CIRCUMVENTION OF TECHNOLOGICAL MEASURES- (1)(A) No person shall circumvent a technological measure that effectively controls access to a work protected under this title. The prohibition contained in the preceding sentence shall take effect at the end of the 2-year period beginning on the date of the enactment of this chapter.

There is no exemption that applies to "items you already own" (other than certain specific enumerated circumstances (http://www.copyright.gov/1201/)

U.S. District Court Judge Marilyn Hall Patel on a recent ruling against RealDVD sales:

"So while it may well be fair use for an individual consumer to store a backup copy of a personally-owned DVD on that individual's computer, a federal law has nonetheless made it illegal to manufacture or traffic in a device or tool that permits a consumer to make such copies," Patel wrote.

Fair Use vs DRM debate is heating up. Patel skirted the issue here.

(c) Other Rights, Etc., Not Affected.—(1) Nothing in this section shall affect rights, remedies, limitations, or defenses to copyright infringement, including fair use, under this title.
(2) Nothing in this section shall enlarge or diminish vicarious or contributory liability for copyright infringement in connection with any technology, product, service, device, component, or part thereof.
(3) Nothing in this section shall require that the design of, or design and selection of parts and components for, a consumer electronics, telecommunications, or computing product provide for a response to any particular technological measure, so long as such part or component, or the product in which such part or component is integrated, does not otherwise fall within the prohibitions of subsection (a)(2) or (b)(1).
(4) Nothing in this section shall enlarge or diminish any rights of free speech or the press for activities using consumer electronics, telecommunications, or computing products.

NoSmokingBandit

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2008
Note that Apple's now talking about "apple-branded" (http://images.apple.com/legal/sla/docs/macosx106.pdf). And unless Apple comes to your house and puts the sticker on for you, that wouldn't pass legal muster even under the "apple labelled" stuff.

Im aware of this, but i would still like an apple sticker so that by strict literal interpretation i have an apple-labeled computer.

Didnt they change the 10.6 EULA to say "apple branded"? I remember reading that somewhere.

Ironically, debating the legality of hacs is pointless because people are going to do it regardless of how illegal it may or may not be. It doesnt bother my conscience at all so im not really concerned about it.

nullx86

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2009
Wilmington/Jacksonville, NC
Im aware of this, but i would still like an apple sticker so that by strict literal interpretation i have an apple-labeled computer.

Didnt they change the 10.6 EULA to say "apple branded"? I remember reading that somewhere.

Ironically, debating the legality of hacs is pointless because people are going to do it regardless of how illegal it may or may not be. It doesnt bother my conscience at all so im not really concerned about it.

I think they did change it from "Apple-labeled" in 10.4-10.5 to Apple-branded in 10.6, watch it change soon :D

@cmaier, wtf are you, Apples laywer? Any one with a good understanding of the law will agree with what I just said, because it comes from the house's mouth its self. Jeeze. lrn2get your facts. Also, Apple Devs (any one with a paid membership, has legal right to try to put it on, per Apples dev TOS. Not sure what subsection it is, but last time I checked (10.5.6) it was legal for devs to do it, and guess what? I'm a dev. And also, what i said earlier: apple does not own any of those companies, and their stuff is found in many other things around the world, so Apple cant technically claim it all as their own, which is basically where Psystar got their foot in the door at.

Frankly, people are going to do it, either because their PC runs OSX better than their OS, or because Apple doesnt make their netbook, or whathaveyou, but IMO, as long as we buy the copy of the retail disk, we're legal to do it. And we aren't breaking any copyright software or anything like that, because there isnt any on Mac OS X. That shi* only comes on Microsoft. Only thing the "community" does is make drivers for parts that aren't supported and try to recreate the EFI, which has been done on some platforms. Whether Apples likes it or not, OSX is a lot closer to becoming a PC-supported OS, and not reserved for just their computers.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
I think they did change it from "Apple-labeled" in 10.4-10.5 to Apple-branded in 10.6, watch it change soon :D

@cmaier, wtf are you, Apples laywer? Any one with a good understanding of the law will agree with what I just said, because it comes from the house's mouth its self. Jeeze. lrn2get your facts. Also, Apple Devs (any one with a paid membership, has legal right to try to put it on, per Apples dev TOS. Not sure what subsection it is, but last time I checked (10.5.6) it was legal for devs to do it, and guess what? I'm a dev. And also, what i said earlier: apple does not own any of those companies, and their stuff is found in many other things around the world, so Apple cant technically claim it all as their own, which is basically where Psystar got their foot in the door at.

I am not Apple's lawyer, but I am an intellectual property lawyer. "Apple labeled" does not mean "has an apple logo on it." It means the party to the contract ("Apple") applied a label to it. It has nothing to do with who "owns" the pieces of hardware. Further, who said Psystar got their foot in the door? They were sued, and will likely lose spectacularly. Their defense is based on a claim that it is illegal to tie the software to the hardware and on exhaustion of rights, not based on what "apple can technically claim ... as their own."

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California

Yep. I'm just saying that the "it's okay as long as you do it yourself" and the "it's okay as long as you slap an Apple sticker on it" arguments aren't going to fly. I'm not saying Apple's going to enforce it against individuals, or that I wouldn't do it myself if I still had that sort of free time and energy, or even that it should really trouble anyone's conscience. But I do think people should just fess up and admit that it violates the EULA and stop trying to justify it. I have a lot more respect for people who are honest about things.

matteusclement

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2008
victoria
WHoa, too much legal talk....

Man... is there an easy way to find the combo deals on newegg?
I am trying to piece together a quad core and just when I think I have it, bam! There's a deal (combo) and I start from scratch again.
The canadian site seems to lack some of the parts mentioned here.

pooprscooper

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2008
U.S. District Court Judge Marilyn Hall Patel on a recent ruling against RealDVD sales:

"...a federal law has nonetheless made it illegal to manufacture or traffic in a device or tool that permits a consumer to make such copies," Patel wrote.

That's about as stupid as saying you have the right to free speech but it's illegal for anyone to offer you a platform on which to practice that right. So in effect, your so-called "right" is only theoretical.

Do we have to seriously wait 50 years for all the old people to die off along with their archaic ways of thinking? History has taught us this is the most likely outcome.

NoSmokingBandit

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2008
Anyone running SL with ALC888 audio? I havent yet found any kexts that work for me when running in x64 mode. If i can get audio i'm going to ditch leopard right away. I installed SL on a spare drive i had laying around and got everything (minus sound) functional on the first boot!
At first i didnt think SL was going to entice me too much, but just being able to drill down in stacks makes life tons easier. While im on the subject, does anyone know how to get the dock contextual menus to be white like the rest of the system? The mishmash of GUI elements in SL is just atrocious.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
Anyone running SL with ALC888 audio? I havent yet found any kexts that work for me when running in x64 mode. If i can get audio i'm going to ditch leopard right away. I installed SL on a spare drive i had laying around and got everything (minus sound) functional on the first boot!
At first i didnt think SL was going to entice me too much, but just being able to drill down in stacks makes life tons easier. While im on the subject, does anyone know how to get the dock contextual menus to be white like the rest of the system? The mishmash of GUI elements in SL is just atrocious.
Here's a couple of people (A, B) that seem to have found solutions.

Hope it helps. :)

sneezymarble

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2008

I've currently got a perfectly working SL installation on the hardware in my sig which uses ALC888 audio. I'm using the DSDT method so my audio configuration (ALC888) is compiled into my dsdt.aml file. My Chameleon boot partition has my dsdt.aml file in /Extra. In /Extra/Extensions I have LegacyHDA.kext. Sound works perfectly. The LegacyHDA.kext I'm using works in both 64bit and 32bit. If you do the DSDT thing, then there's absolutely no modifying of the SL installation required.

screenshot20090922at415.png

screenshot20090922at416.png

screenshot20090922at416.png

screenshot20090922at418.png

NoSmokingBandit

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2008
Tried that, gives me compiling errors. The DSDT hacks are the worst thing to happen to the osx86 scene imo. Everything was getting to be really easy, then dsdt came along and now everyone is expected to know how to edit it by hand...

edit:
i found a kext called "hdefenabler" and it says its x64 compatible. However, the only legacyhda i could find is x86 only. Would you mind sending me a copy of your legacyhda? Thanks a ton!

sneezymarble

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2008
Tried that, gives me compiling errors. The DSDT hacks are the worst thing to happen to the osx86 scene imo. Everything was getting to be really easy, then dsdt came along and now everyone is expected to know how to edit it by hand...

What are you using to create your dsdt.aml file? I don't know why you'd be getting compiling errors. Also, the only hand editing you need to do to you dsdt.aml file is adding the cmos fix which entails changing a single number from a '4' to a '2'.

My advice, stay away from the Mac DSDT patchers. The dsdt.aml files they produce do in fact need a lot of editing to get things like video, sound, and network working. Use the DSDT patcher referenced in blackosx's guide at InsanelyMac.

You'll need a Windows installation to use it, but you don't need to know any fancy code to get video, sound, or network working. You just use information you get from IORegistryExplorer.app to select a few things from a drop down menu, then check a few boxes and select 'patch', then you'll get a nice looking dsdt.aml file. Then just drop your dsdt.aml onto iaslMe.app to decompile the dsdt.aml file into a dsdt.dsl file which you can edit with TextEdit. Apply the CMOS patch, save, drop the dsdt.dsl onto iaslMe.app and you'll get a new dsdt.aml.

That's it. Then you don't need to screw around with patched kexts in the S/L/E or whatever, and you can keep your SL installation 100% vanilla. Hell, I'm tempted to make a dsdt.aml for you. What motherboard are you using?

i found a kext called "hdefenabler" and it says its x64 compatible. However, the only legacyhda i could find is x86 only. Would you mind sending me a copy of your legacyhda? Thanks a ton!

All the x64 compatible kexts you'll need are here.

NoSmokingBandit

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2008
I got it!
And posted it: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=188349

I really dont care about keeping the install 100% vanilla. I'll keep it as clean as possible, but 2 kexts dont bother me at all.

I do remember using the windows based dsdt patcher a long time ago for the 10.5.6 update which as it turns out didnt require a patched dsdt after all, lol.

Thanks for the links, i'll probably go with the dsdt thing eventually, im just jazzed to have everything working on SL already, lol.

I already have the cmos fix in and it compiled well enough, just the usual single warning. I found a AppleRTC kext that supposedly fixes the cmos reset deal, but i found it after i patched my dsdt so id didnt get a change to test it. My worries are that i'll lose my dsdt and have to do the whole thing from scratch again, which will piss me off a lot. Kexts are easy to find ;)
I suppose i could just email it to myself and let gmail hold the file for me. I have attachments 2 years old that gmail still has, and 10.7 should be out by winter 2011, lol.

Thanks a ton for your guidance, i really appreciate it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.