Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Can't tell if good pictures or scenic landscape.

/Fry meme.

But in all seriousness, the camera sucks. Wait til you get indoors. I'd wager many subpar cameras taken in such scenic landscape and in daylight would come out fairly well.

Or maybe you had lower expectations for the camera due to feedback you've read. Anyway, in fairly normal usage -- taking pics of friends, things indoors, etc. -- the Moto X camera is dreadful.

----------

Same here. The Moto X gets most things right.

Possibly ....

Thankfully I didn't buy it for the camera, I have my S5 & Lumia 930 for that.

----------

Hey, no fair! You get a Moto X AND get to be at the ocean?!? :D

LOL ... I'm at the ocean 3 times a day :p (I'm a part-time Fish) :D

SpoonCody

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2014
Motorola Event, Sept 4th: http://www.droid-life.com/2014/08/1...r-4-event-for-new-moto-x-moto-g-and-moto-360/

motorola-event2.jpg

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010
The camera was the primary reason I got rid of the Moto x. You can get decent pictures here and there, but on average, they were of very poor quality IMO.

I really liked the phone otherwise (up until they also screwed up / disabled Ok Google). Not a huge deal but the Moto version of that feature was slower.

Actually I'm surprised the camera isn't as bad as everyone says it is. It's certainly on par with the M8's camera.

Just taken in the past hour ...

View attachment 485228

View attachment 485229

View attachment 485230

View attachment 485231

mel823

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2012
NYC
Yes!!! Finally a date!!

I think the animation is so cute. (I wonder how many people remember the fortune teller game?)

Nice that they were upfront about what to expect.

SpoonCody

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2014
The headset should be interesting too...

This should be an exciting event. There's something for everyone. Moto X for higher end, Moto G for lower end, Moto 360 for smartwatch, and even a headset.

Hope they nail it.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
September is turning out to be the hot month for mobile devices with the iPhone(s), Moto X (and apparently G) successor, Note 4, and likely the Xperia Z3 (sorry--the Galaxy Alpha doesn't register as newsworthy for me), not to mention the Moto 360 and possible iWatch. I'm really looking forward to everyone's offerings, can't wait.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Yeah finally an announcement date!!

I'm also excited for the Moto G. All I want is 1080P video recording on that one and the rumored 5 inch display. Don't need 1080P display.

I'm sure the X+1 will be the best device of the year to date. Stock android with the rumored specs is as perfect as it can get (except for the AMOLED display).

I hope we can get it in Europe at the same time as the rest and also a not too hefty price tag please.

SpoonCody

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2014
September is turning out to be the hot month for mobile devices with the iPhone(s), Moto X (and apparently G) successor, Note 4, and likely the Xperia Z3 (sorry--the Galaxy Alpha doesn't register as newsworthy for me), not to mention the Moto 360 and possible iWatch. I'm really looking forward to everyone's offerings, can't wait.

Yeah. What a time to be alive. All very exciting.

tumblr_inline_n7zkeojlr21qepjjt.png

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I hope we can get it in Europe at the same time as the rest and also a not too hefty price tag please.

Yep. It was because of this I decided to get the moto x now. Rather than wait for the +1. If it does come out sooner, I may upgrade but on general I'm really happy with the moto x. Its really comfortable to use daily. Its amazing how the past year I've used so many devices and the moto x is by far the most ergonomic and physically comfortable. I hope they don't ruin those ergonomics with the +1...

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Just being doing some interesting speed comparisons of the moto x & s5.

Basically they open apps pretty much identically, though often the X opened a millisecond quicker - it wasn't too much of a difference.

However big difference in multi-tasking.

Moto X managed to open every backgrounder app without reloading. After 4-5 apps on the S5 every app older than that had to reload.

S5 told me I still had memory left in task manager, that I was as 1.36gb of 1.67gb; but clearly this isn't the case or Samsung are aggressively shutting down backgrounded apps.

The Moto X in apps settings / running told me I was using a staggering 495mb with 1.3gb free ......

So the same 9-10 apps and the moto x had the same amount of memory free, as the S5 said it was using .....

Amazing difference in memory management & consumption between devices ...

If anything once apps are loaded and backgrounder it means the moto x is a faster device to use and re-open apps in daily use because of it, making it's dual core snapdragon 400 feel much faster than the 801 2.5ghz quad core in the S5.

Hopefully moto don't feck up the +1 because the X is great.....

El3ctronics

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2011
NYC
I found the Moto X to be slower than my Nexus 5 which is why I got rid of it (well, the speed and the camera which was brutal). I'm actually hoping to see an improvement in speed. If the Galaxy S5 was slower than the Moto X than that's pathetic for Samsung. I'm hoping the Moto X+1 will be Nexus fast and have iPhone camera quality and then I'm sold.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Just being doing some interesting speed comparisons of the moto x & s5.

Basically they open apps pretty much identically, though often the X opened a millisecond quicker - it wasn't too much of a difference.

However big difference in multi-tasking.

Moto X managed to open every backgrounder app without reloading. After 4-5 apps on the S5 every app older than that had to reload.

S5 told me I still had memory left in task manager, that I was as 1.36gb of 1.67gb; but clearly this isn't the case or Samsung are aggressively shutting down backgrounded apps.

The Moto X in apps settings / running told me I was using a staggering 495mb with 1.3gb free ......

So the same 9-10 apps and the moto x had the same amount of memory free, as the S5 said it was using .....

Amazing difference in memory management & consumption between devices ...

If anything once apps are loaded and backgrounder it means the moto x is a faster device to use and re-open apps in daily use because of it, making it's dual core snapdragon 400 feel much faster than the 801 2.5ghz quad core in the S5.

Hopefully moto don't feck up the +1 because the X is great.....

I have read this type of comparison between the two elsewhere and from a very reputable source who has had basically the litter of android phones. You have confirmed it and thanks for taking the time to compare.

I have been fooling with the X more and more at BB. Kind of slipped under my radar when it came out. I probably have done worse with other devices down the road since I have low priority with using better cameras with those anyhow.. Lesson learned.

Wiesenlooser

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
Pls no ugly front facing speakers... why make a nice , decent smartphone design so ugly. I'd be out if this turns out to be true.

:(

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Pls no ugly front facing speakers... why make a nice , decent smartphone design so ugly. I'd be out if this turns out to be true.

:(

Sad thing is - if it's like the Moto E - it won't even be front facing speakers. It'll just be the microphone housed in that horrible thing below - to 'mirror' the earpiece on the top. Yep it's F'UGLY ..........................

Wiesenlooser

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
Sad thing is - if it's like the Moto E - it won't even be front facing speakers. It'll just be the microphone housed in that horrible thing below - to 'mirror' the earpiece on the top. Yep it's F'UGLY ..........................

I cant believe it... the Moto X is such a beautiful phone because it has a quietly decent design language.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
and yet....you are still using it...refusing to upgrade! Sorry sensamic...... just needling ya :)

I know! :D:D I mean, I hate their designs and build quality, even on my SGS3 (you should see how poorly it looks after 2 years of good care...), and that's one of the reasons I don't want to upgrade to another Samsung phone.

IMO all the other companies (Sony, LG, Motorola, HTC) have much much better designs and build quality.

This doesn't mean I won't ever buy another Samsung. I would if it were the only decent option available at the time, but if I can avoid them I will, every single time.

SpoonCody

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2014
Any chance the Moto X+1 will have wireless charging?

The Moto 360 does, so perhaps Motorola would implement it in their flagship smartphone, too? I hope so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.