Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

txcallahan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2016
Looks like the trolls are out again persecuting a newbie for commenting on their own genuine experience trying to get an iPhone. You all should be ashamed. Apple is at fault here. Poorly executed launch this time. If Apple can't supply enough stock on launch, move the launch date especially knowing customers will stand in line waiting overnight for days.

I really thought that I was in a "safe place" that I could share some thoughts, clearly I have def learned my lesson.

Reactions: Breezygirl

golfdude

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2005
Serious question to the upset iPhone wannabe purchasers. Would you not be upset if, Apple held the launch back 1 month and you got a phone on launch day? If you would not be upset, how is this any different than you getting one a month from now? Is the launch day phone really that big a thing?

Well as I am learning lots of folks enjoy the camping out and getting a phone. I never have but usually pre-order. So I get the frustration of it...it would be like going to Disney World and space mountain being closed.

Reactions: rui no onna

txcallahan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2016
I never stated that and I hope you aren't confusing me with another poster.

I am sorry, I could have been, but when I answered the person who was not giving me a compliment it was with 100% sarcasm

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
I get it, I promise I do. I just don't know why me being pissed off at Apple turns into making me accountable to war zones and poverty
Hi. Just a note, there are lots of bizarre users in these forums that will attack some users if they speak against Apple. They will go so far to distort your comments and link them to unreasonable and off topic conversations. Don't take notice of them. You're here to express your viewpoint. Thank you. Bullying and harassment isn't appropriate, so if you see a comment that you feel is incredibly insulting and attacking, click the "Report" button and a moderator will look into it and see if it meets or doesn't meet the forum discussion rules.

adammull

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2009
Well as I am learning lots of folks enjoy the camping out and getting a phone. I never have but usually pre-order. So I get the frustration of it...it would be like going to Disney World and space mountain being closed.

Apparently more people would be happier if instead of waiting in line at Space Mountain, Disney closed the park for a month and built five more Space Mountains, then reopened and the wait time for all five was then only a few minutes.

golfdude

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2005
Screwed up how?

To not have availability at the Apple stores for a product launch was not smart. They know they have a loyal following, borderline lunatic following (my hands raised), they feed into it and to let the fans down will have ripple effects.

Bad business, guarantee that will never happen again, assuming Apple has good leadership.

adammull

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2009
To not have availability at the Apple stores for a product launch was not smart. They know they have a loyal following, borderline lunatic following (my hands raised), they feed into it and to let the fans down will have ripple effects.

Bad business, guarantee that will never happen again, assuming Apple has good leadership.

I think they had stock and then pulled it for AUP customers.

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
How is it poorly executed? What if they sold more than last year but also had more demand?

IMHO the yearly upgrades from Apple, Verizon, and AT&T made this problem. We used to be on two year cycles, now we are on yearlies.
We won't know that until the release of the sales figures. In previous launches they released sales figures for the launch weekend, this time they've stopped being open and honestly reporting like that, good or bad. So, we won't find out until the reporting period now.

MrBukey

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2015
I know, right? I keep hearing that Tim Cook is 'master' of the supply chain. Yeah right. That's why both Apple Watch 2 AND the iPhone 7+ are delayed. The whole 'they didn't know what the demand would be' is a bunch of bull.

It's not about "not knowing what the demand will be" - it's about building a supply chain to manufacture and supply the phones in a sustainable manner.

It's not possible to meet the entire demand up front. You couldn't operate a business like that.

golfdude

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2005
Apparently more people would be happier if instead of waiting in line at Space Mountain, Disney closed the park for a month and built five more Space Mountains, then reopened and the wait time for all five was then only a few minutes.
No....Apple loyalists enjoy that once a year where they wait in line overnight for a chance at the phone, they didn't get that this year.

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
I really thought that I was in a "safe place" that I could share some thoughts, clearly I have def learned my lesson.
These forums are toxic at times especially if you have suggestions for Apple or comments that put Apple in a negative light. The aim is not to get discouraged and keep speaking your truth, views and keep commenting. You can easily ignore the crazy users by clicking on their user name and clicking 'Ignore'. Cheers

MrBukey

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2015
Looks like the trolls are out again persecuting a newbie for commenting on their own genuine experience trying to get an iPhone. You all should be ashamed. Apple is at fault here. Poorly executed launch this time. If Apple can't supply enough stock on launch, move the launch date especially knowing customers will stand in line waiting overnight for days.

It doesn't work like that. So whilst they move the launch, they then have to have stock that they've built sitting in a warehouse. Which stops more stock being made as it's got nowhere to go.

"Hire a bigger warehouse!" you'll say then... But then they'll probably need to pay for it for twelve months when it will be needed for a week? So the costs will rise, and they'll be passed on to the consumer.

It is impossible to supply enough stock on launch day for something as popular as the iPhone - and that would be the case with a couple of variants, let alone the 90 SKUs there are....

Last edited:

Macshroomer

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
I hate the consumer mindset. This is just unreal. I assume most of you are adults....maybe some delayed gratification skills would help.

On one hand, this is the most bungled product launch I have ever seen in my 25 year history of using the products professionally.

But on the other hand, yeah....what these devices and the ethos of "Look at ME", "I got it FIRST", "I can TOTALLY Text & Drive" & "I am BETTER than you" have done to society is nothing short of disgusting.

Last edited:

golfdude

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2005
I hate the consumer mindset. This is just unreal. I assume most of you are adults....maybe some delayed gratification skills would help.

LOL. Spare me the soapbox speech. If you are wasting your time on this site today responding to these threads then you just being a hypocrite.

syphern

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
No one should be fired. To Apple you are just $$$ preorder or not they dont give a crap as long as they get the income.

Shazamadoo

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2015
lol at people trying to correlate poverty/death/3rd world issues with the iphone release.. Really shows how intelligent people are..

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
It doesn't work like that. So whilst they move the launch, they then have to have stock that they've built sitting in a warehouse. Which stops more stock being made as it's got nowhere to go.

"Hire a bigger warehouse!" you'll say then... But then they'll probably need to pay for it for twelve months when it will be needed for a week? So the costs will rise, and they'll be passed on to the consumer.

It is impossible to supply enough stock on launch day for something as popular as the iPhone - and that would be the case with a couple of variants, let alone the 90 SKUs there are....
So popular they won't release the weekend sales figures. :rolleyes:

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
LOL. Spare me the soapbox speech. If you are wasting your time on this site today responding to these threads then you just being a hypocrite.
Funny, I'm at work and outpacing my team in tickets closed. I post on here while loading bars go by.

Edit:Literally just closed out another work ticket.

Last edited:

Suspended
Sep 22, 2007
This is the first time I have been pissed off at Apple enough to post my frustrations! They knew this was the first year those customers who signed up for their upgrade program. They also know that a large portion of their loyal customers opt out of pre-orders and stand in line, in thousands of stores across the world. The customers who are entitled for an upgrade expressed outrage because they could not practice their entitlement for at least 2months. To make it right with them they used the devices that were set aside for launch day and then claim the demand for the new phone is so overwhelming the biggest one ever so 98% of any store including Apple will not have the most desired phone. I bet before all the calls started coming in there were plenty of phones for those who camped out. Instead, i am bitchin about them on my 6s plus. Someone should be fired

Look, these are first world problems that send helpless Snowflakes into a state of terrible depression over a piece of gear that will be largely forgotten in 24 months, but you do have a point. The buying experience for iPhones around launch day tends to frustrate and generate a massive amount of negative views. Don't know how you could change it without some sort of market prediction algorithm that predicts the future perfectly, but every year too many customers come away upset.

Part of the problem is that ordering a few hours after launch can put you into the Christmas shopping season, where inventory in stores is under even more pressure. The way things exist today, Apple really should move launch events earlier in the summer.

Macshroomer

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
Part of the problem is that ordering a few hours after launch can put you into the Christmas shopping season, where inventory in stores is under even more pressure. The way things exist today, Apple really should move launch events earlier in the summer.

To the consumer who has to have it right away to feel connected to the social currency that is being current, this is a problem. To Apple and their shareholders, this is feeding time at the zoo for profits.

These items are announced and launched in the 3rd quarter for a reason, they short supply to create demand and the press associated with that and then it puts the most desired product fulfillment times into the 4th quarter, the cash cow of rampant consumerism...Christmas.

Apple is one of the biggest companies in the world because in terms of 90% of their customer base, they sell legal drugs. I know the metrics above as a fact because I live in one of the richest and most expensive towns on earth and know many millionaires and at least 1/2 a dozen billionaires, personally.

This will not change unless people vote with their wallets (en masse) and even then, that will still be a tall statue to topple. Moving iPhone launch dates to the Summer....?....SO not gonna happen.

Last edited:

ajiuo

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
OP: Apple did say a couple of days ago not to bother waiting in line for the plus models... why did you still do it? I stopped waiting in line after the 6. I didn't get the color I wanted for the 5s or 6. It's not worth it to wait in line all night not even knowing what they will get.... pre-order is the way to go... but if you follow that at all people who were ordering within the first few minutes we're already pushed back to October or even November.... That should be a good indication that what's going to take place in the store is even worse.

Reactions: MrBukey

MrBukey

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2015
So popular they won't release the weekend sales figures. :rolleyes:

So now you're being contradictory. It's either popular and there's issues, or it's not popular and so people wouldn't be getting as upset as they are.

Apple have manufactured a lot of phones across 90 variants. The iPhone is a very popular product. Until just 7 days ago, they weren't sure which were the most popular variants. They've had to build a sustainable supply chain initially with a bit of educating guessing, now to meet understood demand for each variant - but still in a sustainable manner with capacity (raw materials, manufacture, warehouse, shipping, carrier/retail, courier, staffing, etc, etc)....

I'm being entirely logical here, and explaining how and why I think things are the way they are - and supporting my point of view. It appears you already have a narrative whereby you've found the answer without understanding how to get there, and that can't be substantiated or supported through logic. That's your right, and I respect that. I'm just not getting to grips with the post-facts and post-logic world. Maybe I'm an old fart in my mid thirties, I don't know... But the change to the modern "negativity rules", "if it adds up, it don't add up" world is difficult for me....

txcallahan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2016
OP: Apple did say a couple of days ago not to bother waiting in line for the plus models... why did you still do it? I stopped waiting in line after the 6. I didn't get the color I wanted for the 5s or 6. It's not worth it to wait in line all night not even knowing what they will get.... pre-order is the way to go... but if you follow that at all people who were ordering within the first few minutes we're already pushed back to October or even November.... That should be a good indication that what's going to take place in the store is even worse.
I am going to go ahead and explain why "I" did something that I have done for the past 7 years, I work, I work a lot of hours so I really was living under a rock and it never crossed my mind that NO stores would have the 7+. It was not until 4 to 5 hours into my "waste of time" and I pulled up macrumors to lurk on others experience while waiting in line that I got the first hint that although I was first in line (on purpose) I may not get what I had been so excited to get since keynote. For the next 5hrs I looked for hope that Att would at least get a few of the plus and so thankful I went to Att and not Apple cause it was for sure they would not get any pluses. Now I was already vested in my wait by the time I got a hint it may not be .......

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.