Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrBukey

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2015
I am going to go ahead and explain why "I" did something that I have done for the past 7 years, I work, I work a lot of hours so I really was living under a rock and it never crossed my mind that NO stores would have the 7+. It was not until 4 to 5 hours into my "waste of time" and I pulled up macrumors to lurk on others experience while waiting in line that I got the first hint that although I was first in line (on purpose) I may not get what I had been so excited to get since keynote. For the next 5hrs I looked for hope that Att would at least get a few of the plus and so thankful I went to Att and not Apple cause it was for sure they would not get any pluses. Now I was already vested in my wait by the time I got a hint it may not be .......

I do feel for you - I know you're disappointed (I am on my delivery that got pushed yesterday, was due for delivery to store today and now it's 3rd October - at the moment). I get it --- but my point stands that we all know it's a gamble.

I know it's worked out for you in past years, and you were lucky - for so many of us it hasn't. My 6 Plus I couldn't get until October 19th. My 6S Plus was the 12th October. My Apple Watch was similar.

These are the joys of deciding to want something on launch day. I'm sure Apple would love nothing more than to have enough stock for everyone on day one. Unfortunately - as I've said many times in the past 24 hours - they have to build a sustainable supply and an ability to manufacture and supply that actually works.

I guess it's a lesson to learn from though - we're all busy, but check out online stories and news ahead of a launch. I know it won't guarantee you a phone/device. I know it doesn't change today.... But it will make sure that you don't use up 10 hours so that they feel like they're wasted as you do today.....

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
You like to stand in line. Cool, that's a choice. Fair play to you - but we all know it's still a gamble....

As anyone that stands in line knows, there are no guarantees. Equally to everyone that pre-orders, you know there's no guarantees. Likewise going either route through a carrier or third party retailer.....

Everyone knows that demand will always outstrip supply. Many of us have been disappointed many times - it's disappointing, but not the end of the world.

Apple now have 90 different SKUs and launch to more countries at the same time than in the past. That's a heck of a lot of variations for a heck of a lot of customers - however you dice it.

Until Apple launched pre-orders they weren't sure what the most popular variants were going to be. Sure, they could make educated guesses - but that was it.

It's impossible with such a complicated supply chain and 90 SKU variations to meet all of day one demands - or even week one - in a sustainable business model.

The best chance you would have had was to pre-order. You could have still gone down and queued if you'd liked. Of course, there would have been no guarantee that your pre-order would definitely have been scheduled for pick-up today - but as we all know, whatever you choose to do there is always a gamble to be made for a launch of an iPhone.....

Agreed in most points.

But I will say Apple has had two full generations of Plus phones to anticipate demand. More people like you to move UP in size rather than down.

The real issue this year is Apple hasn't been manufacturing phones very long at all.

Here is a read:
http://m.gsmarena.com/foxconn_rumor...hone_7_plus_worldwide_shipment-news-20363.php

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
This is the first time I have been pissed off at Apple enough to post my frustrations! They knew this was the first year those customers who signed up for their upgrade program. They also know that a large portion of their loyal customers opt out of pre-orders and stand in line, in thousands of stores across the world. The customers who are entitled for an upgrade expressed outrage because they could not practice their entitlement for at least 2months. To make it right with them they used the devices that were set aside for launch day and then claim the demand for the new phone is so overwhelming the biggest one ever so 98% of any store including Apple will not have the most desired phone. I bet before all the calls started coming in there were plenty of phones for those who camped out. Instead, i am bitchin about them on my 6s plus. Someone should be fired
Sorry to hear about your experience.

I have purchased a new iPhone at every launch... Except this one. The reason I skipped this year is because I don't find it compelling enough for my needs.

That said, unfortunately we are witnessing a new more narcissistic careless Apple that's so self important they're busy posturing, pontificating and throwing their weight around.

Tim Cook is heavily involved in social issues, politics and hob nobbing with Hollywood and Hip Hop personalities.

Focused on iPad Pros, Apple Watches, Electric Cars and a Space Ship Campus, Apple is spread very thin. Assuming iPhone 7 would launch on autopilot they took their eyes off the ball.

A botched launch is the result.

P0stalTek

Suspended
Feb 25, 2011
Sorry to hear about your experience.

I have purchased a new iPhone at every launch... Except this one. The reason I skipped this year is because I don't find it compelling enough for my needs.

That said, unfortunately we are witnessing a new more narcissistic careless Apple that's so self important they're busy posturing, pontificating and throwing their weight around.

Tim Cook is heavily involved in social issues, politics and hob nobbing with Hollywood and Hip Hop personalities.

Focused on iPad Pros, Apple Watches, Electric Cars and a Space Ship Campus, Apple is spread very thin. Assuming iPhone 7 would launch on autopilot they took their eyes off the ball.

A botched launch is the result.

I assume these are largely assumptions? I'm not necessarily saying you are wrong, I have no idea. It just seems to be quite a lot of supposition unless you are friends with Tim Cook in the RL. :p

Reactions: MrBukey

jk4lebron23

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2010
Nashville,TN
You are ticked off at Apple and then you purchase a 6s+?

Me personally, I am going to decide in the next week or so whether to cancel my 7+/256G black that's supposed to ship in early Oct. Just going to live with my 6+ which still works great.
So in the next week you're going to decide if you should just wait another week for your phone to ship? That doesn't fully make sense at all... plus orders for then are slowly getting tracking #'s now so most likely you'd get it sooner rather than later

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Sounds like it was a rather frustrating day for you, and for that I'm sorry.
Here's hoping that Apple 'do right' and were\is able to still process an order for you in a timely manner...

This is the first time I have been pissed off at Apple enough to post my frustrations! They knew this was the first year those customers who signed up for their upgrade program. They also know that a large portion of their loyal customers opt out of pre-orders and stand in line, in thousands of stores across the world. The customers who are entitled for an upgrade expressed outrage because they could not practice their entitlement for at least 2months. To make it right with them they used the devices that were set aside for launch day and then claim the demand for the new phone is so overwhelming the biggest one ever so 98% of any store including Apple will not have the most desired phone. I bet before all the calls started coming in there were plenty of phones for those who camped out. Instead, i am bitchin about them on my 6s plus. Someone should be fired

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Apple underestimated the demand for the iPhone 7 series. The jet black also was late in the process to be manufactured.

It was supposed to be a down year for Apple if you read any analysis before the official announcement. Most observers were saying this iPhone 7 is basically a 6se and it kinda is. Laws of supply and demand and production was limited while demand went through the roof.

Q-Dog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2007
It seems like maybe Apple has finally figured out a way to keep the scalpers from buying up all the most desirable devices on launch day?

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
Agreed. I don't waste my valuable time like that any more. I order it, and when it comes it comes.

This! ^^^

It's a mobile device. It gets here when it gets here. In the meantime, life is short and should always be full-steam ahead!

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
You lost me at "entitled."

No, you are not.

I think she meant eligible and mis-spoke.

people that are negative towards the OP, i don't understand? everyone has hobbies, or i would hope. And i am sure some people would think that was a waste of time. People spend their time how they want. why would it bother other people? Especially if it isn't hurting anyone? just my thoughts.

Arnezie

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
I understand your upset and you should be. It was important to you and I for one am sorry that this happened. No sarcasm just sincere empathy Thank you for sharing your experience and hopefully these things will get better every year , hey at least it's Friday and you didn't have to go to work

Reactions: txcallahan

bidwalj

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2007
If anyone else was in her position you would be upset too, be it an iPhone or something else. Different things make us happy.

I think Apple really needs to handle their upgrade program similar to carriers. Let people upgrade and have them turn the phone in later. If they don't, charge them. Would have made it easier for people to preorder and not deal with the mess that occurred.

P0stalTek

Suspended
Feb 25, 2011
To me, it's silly to spend thousands in going to Disney World every year. However, my friend Bob loves taking his family each year.

Bob is not an idiot for spending his vacation how he wants.

Snot Rox

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
SF Bay Area, CA
I hate the consumer mindset. This is just unreal. I assume most of you are adults....maybe some delayed gratification skills would help.

tzlrq.jpg

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
How is it poorly executed? What if they sold more than last year but also had more demand?

IMHO the yearly upgrades from Apple, Verizon, and AT&T made this problem. We used to be on two year cycles, now we are on yearlies.

Many people are on yearlies? I don't think so.

Agree that this is not really Apple's fault though.

Could they have handled things better?...absolutely.

If each store had a walk-in allotment that was rerouted to the IUP customers...that, I'm not in favor of.

Last edited:

Osaka23

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2012

Hmm I am sensing someone has first world problems.

Reactions: WiseAJ
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.