Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

melburstein

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2012
Hey Apple, hello? anyone there?!?

I've got my money in my hands, ready to purchase two displays today!

BUT,
You know I felt the same way. I found two Dell monitors that looked good (I am a fan of Dell). Then I visited store that had all three on display and I brought my rMBP (mid 2012) with me along with a Thunderbolt cable. The salesman helped me try all three with my notebook. When I saw the TBD and the ease of connecting it, I no longer cared that it is 3 years old and not USB 3. I have had it for two months and remain very happy with my decision.

rainbowsofwhite

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
You know I felt the same way. I found two Dell monitors that looked good (I am a fan of Dell). Then I visited store that had all three on display and I brought my rMBP (mid 2012) with me along with a Thunderbolt cable. The salesman helped me try all three with my notebook. When I saw the TBD and the ease of connecting it, I no longer cared that it is 3 years old and not USB 3. I have had it for two months and remain very happy with my decision.

I think the problem was that you compared it to Dell.
Dell monitors are known to be very incompatible with Mac, no matter how hard you try.

As the weeks approach March, more "new" monitors will be available from other sources, like LG.
And we won't be so "forced" to purchase an "old" Thunderbolt display anymore.

I'm excited about the new LG34UM95 (which will be available in March $1299 AUS).
(comes with Thunderbolt 2 port, it looks absolutely gorgeous)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpnT_r35Muk

Last edited:

ABCDEF-Hex

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2013
NC
Bad news -

I've been fooled numerous times before by the Apple display being in low quantities with retailers, but for the first time in a few months (since I last posted this same thing!), availability is trending down again.

Last weekend Amazon went out of stock. They are now showing availability in 1 to 2 months. Amazon and J&R were the only ones as of last weekend, but today BH Photo, MacMall, and CDW have all gone out of stock as well. All had stock earlier this week. Best Buy still has stock as does Apple.

I'm sure this is just another false alarm. I've about given up all hope of Apple updating this display. It is really WAY overdue. For a company that has led in monitors since the iMac LCD, it is a disappointment.

It looks like Amazon has them back in stock.

Thares

Cancelled
Feb 25, 2011
I think it will probably come along side to an updated version of the Mac Mini. So... probably never.

cs02rm0

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2013
Don't expect ATD2 until Apple releases proper 4K support in Mavericks.

Don't expect it then, at this rate.

If the Seiki drops to $399 again on Amazon before the rMBP supports 60Hz on the 32" Dell I'll give up waiting.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Glad I got ATD back in 2012 when I got the rMBP. If/when Apple does do ATD2, I will get my niece two purchase 2 for me with ed discount and I will give her our current ATDs. Maybe....just maybe....by the end of the year. Let's see what pops out at WWDC the summer.

Gannon1

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2014
I'm looking into buying a display to accompany my Thunderbolt Macbook Air. I'm looking at the TBD and the Dell U2713HM. Is it worth the few hundred extra for the TBD? Would my TB MBA even be compatable with the Dell?

P.S. I will be primarily using this for graphic design work.

meeks

macrumors regular
May 1, 2005
I can get a pristine TB display for $700 cash no tax. I'm in need of a screen somewhat. Do you guys think it's a good deal? I'm thinking of getting it and just selling it right when the new ones are announced.

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
I can get a pristine TB display for $700 cash no tax. I'm in need of a screen somewhat. Do you guys think it's a good deal? I'm thinking of getting it and just selling it right when the new ones are announced.

I would, new one is $1199 in Australia:)

unfrostedpoptar

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2010
I think the problem was that you compared it to Dell.
Dell monitors are known to be very incompatible with Mac, no matter how hard you try.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpnT_r35Muk

What are you talking about? I've used many Dell monitors for years with many different Macs and they've all worked perfectly. Not to mention not having the awful Apple mirrored screens!

Where is the list of these supposed incompatibilities?

Dr Charter

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
Oklahoma

That sounds like a great deal. Apple refurbs are $799 + tax. If you can live without USB3, I say go for it. I love my ATD and have been itching to get a second one for the office.

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
That sounds like a great deal. Apple refurbs are $799 + tax. If you can live without USB3, I say go for it. I love my ATD and have been itching to get a second one for the office.

Do they run hot like the old 09 iMacs? Really want one for my office but had a 09 iMac that was like a heater. $1139 here. Might just get one and try it for the 14 days.

Dr Charter

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
Oklahoma
Do they run hot like the old 09 iMacs? Really want one for my office but had a 09 iMac that was like a heater. $1139 here. Might just get one and try it for the 14 days.

Not at all. I've never even felt the display get warm. I will say that my 2011 MacBook Air fan would kick on when in clamshell mode during processor intensive tasks, but that really had nothing to do with the monitor. My retina Macbook Pro is quiet as a mouse when driving the display.

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
Not at all. I've never even felt the display get warm. I will say that my 2011 MacBook Air fan would kick on when in clamshell mode during processor intensive tasks, but that really had nothing to do with the monitor. My retina Macbook Pro is quiet as a mouse when driving the display.

No worries, i read one of the reviews on the Apple store and they said it radiates heat. I might just bite the bullet and get one, i mainly want it for photos/video/tv/movies and will read on my MBPr, least i can return it if i don't like it.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin

Go for it!

I found a similar deal and got two of them just last week for the nMP.

I could even sell them more expensive on ebay now.. So if Apple comes out with ATD2 (and they will, probably this year)
I will just sell them and get new ones @4k.

I guess this will be the icing on the nMP cake!!! :cool:

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
Go for it!

I found a similar deal and got two of them just last week for the nMP.

I could even sell them more expensive on ebay now.. So if Apple comes out with ATD2 (and they will, probably this year)
I will just sell them and get new ones @4k.

I guess this will be the icing on the nMP cake!!! :cool:

Refurbs are 799 so that extra 99 buys you a 1 year warranty plus the ability to add 2 more for another 99, I'd go refurb

Thares

Cancelled
Feb 25, 2011
Well, there are not many 4k displays out there. So while I am not happy with Apple holding on so long to renew their monitor lineup, I don't see any alternative.

There are some 4k displays. Yes. But they're expensive as hell. Excepting the crappy Dell 28-something 4k monitor.

The real shame here is that they managed to renew the iMac with a beautiful slim design but had no chance to do the same for the display.

parivera30

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2012
I have a chance to get 1 or 2 Apple Thunderbolt displays for $700 a piece or 1 or 2 Apple 24 inch Cinema displays for $300 each. Need help choosing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.