Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rainbowsofwhite

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
i can't believe people are saying we will have to wait until June for a new display!

by June it will be 20 months since the new iMac slim design was released! that's insane my friends! :confused:

Who is saying that we will have to wait until June for a new display?
Are you talking about a new Thunderbolt display?
Can you please give us a link to where you read this?

I've got no problem waiting until June, it's the "not knowing" if they actually are updating it, which is driving me crazy!!

rainbowsofwhite

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
I'll wait for another month and see what happens, otherwise I'm purchasing a new TB from Apple online. If anything new comes out, I'll at least have no problem selling it (especially with ALL the original packaging).

or the ASUS.

Last edited:

ABCDEF-Hex

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2013
NC
Thanks for this.

I just watched a "used" one year old Apple Thunderbolt Display sell on eBay for almost (AUS) $900 (with no original packaging or box), absolutely crazy!

There is no way that some plastic ASUS, Dell, Lenovo, LG etc monitor is going to hold it's value like a TB.

This has really made me reconsider the Thunderbolt Display.

I'll wait for another month and see what happens, otherwise I'm purchasing a new TB from Apple online. If anything new comes out, I'll at least have no problem selling it (especially with ALL the original packaging).

I have been stuck waiting also and have to decide soon since I'm going from an older iMac to a nMP.

(Just checked the USA online store and there are no refurbished displays.)

Last edited:

rainbowsofwhite

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
I have been stuck waiting also and have to decide soon since I'm going from an older iMac to a nMP.

(Just checked the USA online store and there are no refurbished displays.)

I know I'm hopeless. I've changed my mind again.
I don't think I could cope with Thunderbolt Display's reflective screen all day.

so the waiting game continues...

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
I know I'm hopeless. I've changed my mind again.
I don't think I could cope with Thunderbolt Display's reflective screen all day.

so the waiting game continues...

ahahaha I'm just the same. One day I have figured to just stick with two tb displays, then again I want a 4k asus. then a dell and so on.

I need my nMP to arrive so I can sell the imac and am being forced to purchase the TB display just to put an end to this silly debate in my head :rolleyes:

Jspring86

Suspended
Oct 7, 2011
Tempe, AZ
I know exactly what you mean...

Another monitor I've been looking at and hesitant because of DisplayPort compatibility with my MacBook Pro Retina is the:

ASUS PA279Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSiSMr3BpJ0

Not 4K, but it looks quite nice and no reflective screen.

Does this monitor not work at full resolution over DP with the retina MBP? Or is it just the RGB and sRGB that do not work? I was considering this monitor or perhaps:

http://www.amazon.com/PB278Q-27-Inch-LED-lit-Professional-Graphics/dp/B009C3M7H0/ref=pd_cp_pc_0

rainbowsofwhite

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
I know exactly what you mean...

Another monitor I've been looking at and hesitant because of DisplayPort compatibility with my MacBook Pro Retina is the:

ASUS PA279Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSiSMr3BpJ0
Not 4K, but it looks quite nice and no reflective screen.

back to the drawing board...
"OSX doesn't support 10-bit color, so wide gamut monitors are currently useless. As far as I know to get 10 bit wide color gamut support all the links in the chain have to support it, the video card, OS, and the application itself. To get 10 bit support you need to use windows"
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3609137

rainbowsofwhite

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
I'm going to wait it out.

I'm sorry Apple, you're not getting my money until you come out with the new Thunderbolt 2 Display.

Otherwise the new Thunderbolt 2, LG display (LG 29UM95) is being released soon and is looking nicer every day.

Last edited:

Xerotech

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
Got this off slickdeals, if anyone is interested in a 4k monitor @ 30hz.

*Still waiting on TBD2 myself*

Dell has their brand new 28" 4K Ultra HD Monitor available for $598.49 + Tax

Steps to replicate the deal:

1. Go to the Dell EPP Page.
2. Search for P2815Q in the upper right hand corner (monitor should come up as $35 off list price of $699).
3. Add to cart.
4. Apply coupon code $3SXSG419DDB2P (total should come to $598.49).

If you are a Dell Advantage member (free sign up), you'll also get a promotional gift card for 5% of the total purchase ($30).

Shipping is free.

Please note: 30 Hz refresh rate might not make this ideal for gamers.

Props to jj14 for tracking down this deal here. I just thought this was slick enough to get its own post.

rainbowsofwhite

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
Got this off slickdeals, if anyone is interested in a 4k monitor @ 30hz.

*Still waiting on TBD2 myself*

That's a great deal and I look forward to reading some hands on reviews with regards to the performance at 30Hz refresh (3840 x 2160) full resolution.

Some interesting information on this Dell monitor:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hiBY2zc7K4

Unfortunately it's not available in Australia yet.

Last edited:

rainbowsofwhite

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
Come on Apple, what's going on?

Hey Apple, hello? anyone there?!?

I've got my money in my hands, ready to purchase two displays today!

BUT,

We're talking about a 2011 monitor here!

It's a nice monitor and I'm sure it was "very" nice when it was released (3) three years ago.

But I just can't justify spending money on something that needs updating...badly.

Doesn't have to be 4K resolution, but updated ports - USB 3.0 & Thunderbolt 2 would be nice (the new iMacs have USB 3.0), and a new "full lamination" screen (like the iMac) which has 75% less reflection.
Can we please have a "re-engineered display" like the iMac, or do we really have to settle for second best?
http://www.apple.com/au/imac/design/

Not too much to ask is it?

Last edited:

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin

BUT,

It's a nice monitor and I'm sure it was "very" nice when it was released (3) three years ago.

But I just can't justify spending money on something that needs updating...badly.

Doesn't have to be 4K resolution, but updated ports - USB 3.0 & Thunderbolt 2 would be nice (the new iMacs have USB 3.0), and a new "full lamination" screen (like the iMac) which has 75% less reflection.
Can we please have a "re-engineered display" like the iMac, or do we really have to settle for second best?

Just send feedback to apple ^^

cs02rm0

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2013

BUT,

It's worse than that when I'd give my money to Dell if Apple don't want it, but I can't use their 4k monitors at more than 30hz with OSX. I can't cope with Windows, but if I hear Linux has support for it I'll be going in that direction as fast as I can enter my credit card details. It seems crazy that they've left this obvious void.

millertime

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2009
Please be it this time - low availability of current display

I've been fooled numerous times before by the Apple display being in low quantities with retailers, but for the first time in a few months (since I last posted this same thing!), availability is trending down again.

Last weekend Amazon went out of stock. They are now showing availability in 1 to 2 months. Amazon and J&R were the only ones as of last weekend, but today BH Photo, MacMall, and CDW have all gone out of stock as well. All had stock earlier this week. Best Buy still has stock as does Apple.

I'm sure this is just another false alarm. I've about given up all hope of Apple updating this display. It is really WAY overdue. For a company that has led in monitors since the iMac LCD, it is a disappointment.

ABCDEF-Hex

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2013
NC
Just checked Best Buy and they are out.

I've been fooled numerous times before by the Apple display being in low quantities with retailers, but for the first time in a few months (since I last posted this same thing!), availability is trending down again.

Last weekend Amazon went out of stock. They are now showing availability in 1 to 2 months. Amazon and J&R were the only ones as of last weekend, but today BH Photo, MacMall, and CDW have all gone out of stock as well. All had stock earlier this week. Best Buy still has stock as does Apple.

I'm sure this is just another false alarm. I've about given up all hope of Apple updating this display. It is really WAY overdue. For a company that has led in monitors since the iMac LCD, it is a disappointment.

There have also been periods with no refurbs lately.

Edit - Sorry, I did find it on Best Buy.

Last edited:

evilpaddy

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2012
I was waiting on a Thunderbolt 2 display, but I succumbed and got myself an iMac instead :D
I'd get any of NEC's monitors if I was in your boat though, they don't have those huge logos on the lower bezel and have better color accuracy than the TB displays.

27"
http://www.necdisplay.com/p/desktop-monitors/pa272w-bk-sv

30'
http://www.necdisplay.com/p/desktop-monitors/pa302w-bk-sv

^ Same.

I'll be driving my nMP on an 2013 iMac until the TBD2 is out, then i'll retire the iMac to secondary desktop use.

millertime

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2009
update

Unfortunately, Amazon UK now has stock again. Everyone else is still out of stock in the US except Apple and Best Buy. This could just be because of the Mac Pro just coming out and driving up demand, but I've never seen it out of stock this long at this many places.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.