Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Yeah, and as we all know, this attitude of his almost killed Apple back then and got Jobs fired from the company that he founded.

Jobs was fired for almost destroying the company himself, even he admitted that, and he also admitted that Scully made the right call. He'd made a ton of big mistakes and cost the company millions.

So no. This is not the 'attitude', you're comparing TWO COMPANIES talking over their issues to ONE PERSON getting fired for screwing up. Not even remotely similar events...not by a longshot.

oheckyeah

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2011
ABQ, NM
Have you forgotten about this already? Samsung's Market Cap Takes $10 Billion Hit Amid Rumors of Apple DRAM Deal with Elpida. It's glaringly obvious who needs who here. :cool:

I don't think either one needs one more than the other. We have Apple fanboys (you) claiming that Elpida (or similar company) will provide the components Apple needs. Will they be up to Samsung quality? Most likely not. Will Apple's sales drop if quality is lost? Or if they can't get the volume Samsung provides? Yes. Not to mention all the other parts that Samsung makes, and at such high volume.

On the other hand, Samsung does have a large market in making parts for Apple. Huge demand for them, and a huge market share.

So to suggest that this relationship is anything but symbiotic, and take sides as to who needs who, is stupid. They both benefit, hence the reason neither company has dropped the other, and the reason that they are attempting to resolve this, whether it be in court or through settlement talks.

Get off your high horse. Neither company is better than the other.

Last edited:

djrod

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2008
Madrid - Spain
I would like to see the face of Tim Cook when the Samsung CEO shows up wearing New Balance, Levi's and a black turtleneck...

akbarali.ch

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2011
Mumbai (India)
I Agree

I Agree to the fact that only reason samsung came out better in the whole Android sea of devices was that their Whole look of the phone was almost similar to iPhone at half the cost. Which obviusoly made the samsung the next best thing after Apple iphone. People who coulodn't reach to iphone ended up buying mirage reflection of it. There is no other reason why no other device came up to sell so many as Samsung, considering all the high end android phone almost had (and still have, go check..) same spec and same size of the screesn and same OS (with Samsung using iPhone UI)
It felt they are buying a piece of iphone.
I cant believe how blatantly they copy apple, in every aspect. Look at samsung stores, thier device presentation in the shop, now lately thier Samsung's unvealing of Galaxy s3...

oliversl

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
I don't think if "flamed" is the right word, I would say "educated" fits better. Try searching Wikipedia for ideas about: Siri and widgets.

Here is a Preview: Siri does not only convert speech to text, ask Google does. It also uses AI in its data center.

And a classic:
http://www.reddit.com/tb/kr14a

HTH
Oliver

1st off....I can't stand Samsung, as they have good products, but they are almost all overpriced for what you get. However I am getting tired of Apple trying to sue the heck out of everyone. If someone thinks of using an icon apple sues them for their thoughts. Apple has copied many people as well.

iPad copies Samsung?

http://www.androidauthority.com/behold-samsungs-ipad-made-in-2006-21278/

Siri was an improved version of what Android had already done.
iOS added a quick bar at the top of the iOS...Copy from Android.
Mac have widgets. Not sure if Android, Apple, or MS was 1st here, but someone copied someones idea.

Apple sues people over laptop designs when Apple stole the HP design on the MBP. I supported this HP garbage back in the day, and the 1st time I saw the MBP I thought it was that HP Laptop. (looked the same, but a MBP is a far better product ;-))

I like my Apple stuff (especially my Mini), and can't believe I just wrote the above statements. But I try not to look at things with blinders on.

I am ready to get flamed now :)

Mortalias

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I think Tim will take a slightly different approach than Steve would have.

I can even picture it. 3 minutes from the start of the meeting. Steve: "Everything you do is *******." :p

Here's to hoping everything gets sorted out between the two.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
You do realize Apple,Inc. has lost almost $60 Billion in market Cap. over the last 20 days right ?

Actually yes I do. However I don't believe it is in relation to anything Samsung has done. While Samsungs loss was believed to be directly related to Apple.

caligomez

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2011
San Juan, PR
That was true a year or two ago, I think... and might still apply to the physical appearance of their larger tablets.

Well, what about new services like S-Cloud, the new retail strores, S Voice (Siri) Music Hub (same scan and match service as iTunes Match), the new Airplay-esque feature with Samsung TV's, etc..

You don't think they are STILL trying to mimic Apple's ecosystem? I agree with you that they have held back in mimicking the products, but now it's everything else..

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
I don't think either one needs one more than the other. We have Apple fanboys (you) claiming that Elpida (or similar company) will provide the components Apple needs. Will they be up to Samsung quality? Most likely not. Will Apple's sales drop if quality is lost? Or if they can't get the volum Samsung provides? Yes. Not to mention all the other parts that Samsung makes, and at such high volume.

On the other hand, Samsung does have a large market in making parts for Apple. Huge demand for them, and a huge market share.

So to suggest that this relationship is anything but symbiotic, and take sides as to who needs who, is stupid. They both benefit, hence the reason neither company has dropped the other, and the reason that they are attempting to resolve this, whether it be in court or through settlement talks.

Get off your high horse. Neither company is better than the other.
Honestly I was just simply resulting the article that Samsung lost valuation do to an founded Apple rumor. I never said that Elpida would be able to produce the volume Apple needs, or even match Samsungs quality. Secondly the meeting of the 2 CEO's is something that more than likely would have never happened under Jobs reign as he vowed to go to "thermonuclear war" against Android. This is probably the courts, and Tim Cooks doing. Honestly I'd like to see all of these patent disputes resolved, and great products released from both companies. I have a 3D TV from Samsung as well as a blu ray player so I'm not anti Samsung just merely contributing to healthy discussion.

tshrimp

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2012
I don't think if "flamed" is the right word, I would say "educated" fits better. Try searching Wikipedia for ideas about: Siri and widgets.

Here is a Preview: Siri does not only convert speech to text, ask Google does. It also uses AI in its data center.

And a classic:
http://www.reddit.com/tb/kr14a

HTH
Oliver

Then educate me. The speech recognition on Android is not just for typing text. But as I mentioned Siri is better, but on Android you can just hit a button and say "navigate to Walmart" and it will start the gps software and start telling you where Walmart is. As many companies do Apple took a good idea an built upon it. As for widgets I never stated who started Widgets, but just the someone did and others followed. I will say that I am ready for them on the iPhone.

Thanks for your input.

Edit: just found this on Widgets. I was shocked. http://www.irintech.com/x1/co/498/Who-invented-the-widget?---you-will-not-believe,-but-its-true
(but can we really believe everything we read on the web?)

kdarling

macrumors P6
You don't think they are STILL trying to mimic Apple's ecosystem? I agree with you that they have held back in mimicking the products, but now it's everything else..

True, although that effort is neither new nor restricted to Samsung :)

Everyone's tried to copy Apple's ecosystem at one time or another... and pretty much failed. Partly because they're too impatient. It can take a long time to get established and earn customer trust that the service won't go away.

tshrimp

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2012
True, although that effort is neither new nor restricted to Samsung :)

Everyone's tried to copy Apple's ecosystem at one time or another... and pretty much failed. Partly because they're too impatient. It can take a long time to get established and earn customer trust that the service won't go away.

I agree. Everyone has tried to copy and failed. I actually find the Apple ecosystem a little limiting for my tastes, but it for most you can't beat it....and no one has :)

Sensation

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2012
The only reason that Samsung is the second most profitable company (when it comes to the mobile space) is because their strategy is to essentially copy what Apple is doing. A simple strategy, that has proven to be more successful than they could have ever imagined.

Will they just drop this now? No way.. The legal battles are just a cost of doing business..

What the hell are you on about? Samsung make some excellent phones such as the Galaxy Nexus, SG2 and soon the SG3. They have fantastic displays and look incredible.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
The speech recognition on Android is not just for typing text. But as I mentioned Siri is better, but on Android you can just hit a button and say "navigate to Walmart" and it will start the gps software and start telling you where Walmart is. As many companies do Apple took a good idea an built upon it.

You're apparently unaware that Apple had voice control software in iOS before Siri. Speaking as someone who was an Android user and now is an iPhone 3GS (that means no Siri) user - my impression is that neither is particularly useful except in a certain limited set of circumstances. Both systems strike me as being rather gimmicky, frankly.

Siri looks like very cool technology, but again I don't think I'd find it particularly useful in most practical matters.

Mr Bigs

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2010
Bklyn N.Y
You're apparently unaware that Apple had voice control software in iOS before Siri. Speaking as someone who was an Android user and now is an iPhone 3GS (that means no Siri) user - my impression is that neither is particularly useful except in a certain limited set of circumstances. Both systems strike me as being rather gimmicky, frankly.

Siri looks like very cool technology, but again I don't think I'd find it particularly useful in most practical matters.
That was so pitiful no-one even used it and Windows Mobile had it before the iPhone even came out.

sazivad

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
New Jersey
1. http://www.androidauthority.com/behold-samsungs-ipad-made-in-2006-21278/
2. Siri was an improved version of what Android had already done.
3. iOS added a quick bar at the top of the iOS...Copy from Android.
4. Mac have widgets. Not sure if Android, Apple, or MS was 1st here, but someone copied someones idea.
5. I am ready to get flamed now :)
1. All that thing could really do is store media, which is only a part of what tablets today do.
2. through 4. They all had different implementations. Plus, if nobody took cues from one another, which really everybody is guilty of, we'd still be using ENIAC. Or something.
5. I sure hope I'm not... :)

Last edited:

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin

Siri is Beta software. You have to start somewhere. I have a vision of Siri being like the 'computer' on Star-Trek. It will take time, just as it took 35 years to get where personal computers are now from the original Apple I. There was relatively very little use for that technology way back then also.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Actually yes I do. However I don't believe it is in relation to anything Samsung has done. While Samsungs loss was believed to be directly related to Apple.

You do realise "market cap" losses are not actual losses for the corporate entities right ?

Stock price affects trades and shareholders. It has no relation to a company's health really, being the result of pure investor speculation. A company losing some market cap means nothing for the business itself, it has loss no money because of it. Revenues and profits will be the same regardless of the market cap going up or down.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
Hopefully this competition will push both companies to create cutting edge devices which is good for the consumer. Personally I think everyone copied the iPhone after 2007

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.