Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chadm

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2007
It's a market that Apple has officially denied interest in.

Is it really a market they've denied interest in? Steve Jobs said at one point, "But we'll wait and see how that nascent category evolves, and we have got some pretty interesting ideas if it does evolve". That sounds to me like an admission of interest, but not something they're going to rush into.

I think that they will enter the netbook market, but probably for around $500 instead of the $250-$350 range like the current breed of netbooks... The "really big ipod touch" idea sounds pretty likely, though it would have to have some neat features for me to spend the extra money... like running multiple tasks at the same time, and cut and paste... you know, real innovations... heh I keed, I keed...

Lepton

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2002
Cold Spring Harbor, NY
It's the NetPad, baby!

The NetPad is coming! As I predicted at the end of last year. About the size of three iPod Touches side by side, same thickness, accepts finger, stylus with Apple Ink, bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Lots of details in my blog article here.

Bonte

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2002
Bruges, Belgium
A full blown osX would need a fast and expensive tablet, there is no real market for that. I personally hope for a bigger ipod, simple, cheap and more than enough apps in the Appstore to fill my needs.

kerryn

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2007
Well, it's finally happening.

The Last Great Rumors are coming true.

We just got the xMac, and now the MacTablet will soon be upon us.

Are you smoking something? xMac? Where?

If you refer to the the updated Mac mini then that is a long way away from the xMac....

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I wouldn't necessarily expect Apple's to be "low-cost" either.

No, Apple's never been interested in selling cheap products. And it doesn't matter that other companies got out of the gate first with netbooks. Other companies had MP3 players before the iPod. I'm hoping Apple is taking its time with this so that they can get it right. The cheap netbooks (like Acer's EeePC) are really limited in what they can do. (A 4 gb hard drive!?)

What if Apple finally released its version of the tablet, a complete OS X computer with a multi-touch interface? It would require a shift in how people view computers. Most people perceive computers as keyboards and screens. The iPhone and Touch have begun to break with that tradition. But Apple would have to make some huge strides with the interface to sell people on an entirely touch-screen machine.

mambodancer

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2004
Denver
Like with the iPhone? :rolleyes:

Apple will likely reinvent the netbook and within six months other manufacturers will be producing copies described as MacBook Touch killers ;)

I will second that sentiment.

I love the "Ballmeresque" quotes starting to appear in this thread.

j5045096

Oct 27, 2007
This was quite sad reading. Did you even want to go on this trip? Thank God nature didn't interfere with your phone signal.

Hey I know it's a popular thing on these boards to get philosophical and/or self-righteous so thank you for doing both, but yes I wanted to be on the trip and no I didn't have the phone out the whole time. I needed my wife to call me with that SS# so we could make sure we didn't get stuck with a fat hospital bill (7 days in NICU) so next time before you decide to share your staunch self-righteousness, make sure you know somebody well enough to justify judging them. But Thank God my post didn't interfere with your self-righteousness.

TheGraphicMac

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2009
In a house
I'm guessing that the "netbook" this company is referring to is nothing more than a new version of the MBAir.

People clammoring for a "netbook" crack me up. What is the Air? Is it not a netbook? It's small, underpowered, light and a laptop. I guess a netbook must have a 12" or smaller screen to be considered a netbook... If that's the case, then Apple still already has one, it's called the iPhone. ;)

RyanR.

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2008
Virginia
If they produce a reasonably-priced tablet style portable then I'll be happy. Call it a netbook if you want, the definition gets fuzzier and fuzzier every day as it seems to describe everything ranging from smart-phones to pretty powerful laptops these-days!

A good-sized touch-screen portable, with modest (1.0 to 1.4 ghz?) processor, 512mb RAM and decent storage (hard-drive? Small SSD's are pointless and big ones are expensive!) is all that's needed to make a great little device.

I agree. I run my own service business. I would like something like this for on the road. Preferably it could run windows as well because of some software that I have for working out and about. It would also need usb's and hold your breath firewire.
I like the tablet idea. Even if your had an iLife Tablet where it's like the iPhone ,but you can use iMovie, itunes, iPhoto and such. I mean if they used the same type of smart keyboard what could you not make on it with that software.

yes, I'm a fanboy and proud of it!:rolleyes:

j5045096

Oct 27, 2007
No, Apple's never been interested in selling cheap products. And it doesn't matter that other companies got out of the gate first with netbooks. Other companies had MP3 players before the iPod. I'm hoping Apple is taking its time with this so that they can get it right. The cheap netbooks (like Acer's EeePC) are really limited in what they can do. (A 4 gb hard drive!?)

The more I'm reading about all of this I'm reminded of when the iPod came out--for $399.00 when you could get other mp3 players for half that. Granted they were junk but if you are on here thinking an Apple netbook is coming for $299.00 at Costco like they sell the Asus I think you're going to be waiting for a long time. Apple has no incentive to build something like that. It's not like that's where computing is heading; it's a supplemental novelty.

If anything I could see Apple reducing the size of the MB Air even more (it's really not that much smaller than the Alu MacBook -- it's thinner yes, but the footprint is not that much smaller. They might as well reduce the size of that thing so as to differentiate itself from the MacBook even more.

Here is the problem though--nobody's going to buy a $1699 netbook, and how far is Apple going to come down??

zombitronic

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2007
The article says touch "panels." Couldn't these just be components for the trackpad of a notebook? There's no mention of a size, which is the info we'd really need to make an educated guess about what product this might be applied to.

dernhelm

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2002
middle earth
The more I'm reading about all of this I'm reminded of when the iPod came out--for $399.00 when you could get other mp3 players for half that. Granted they were junk but if you are on here thinking an Apple netbook is coming for $299.00 at Costco like they sell the Asus I think you're going to be waiting for a long time. Apple has no incentive to build something like that. It's not like that's where computing is heading; it's a supplemental novelty.

If anything I could see Apple reducing the size of the MB Air even more (it's really not that much smaller than the Alu MacBook -- it's thinner yes, but the footprint is not that much smaller. They might as well reduce the size of that thing so as to differentiate itself from the MacBook even more.

Here is the problem though--nobody's going to buy a $1699 netbook, and how far is Apple going to come down??

netbooks are considered netbooks because of their low cost and limited applicability (e.g. you aren't running photoshop on one no matter who made it).

If Apple produces a $1700 appliance with a touch screen, it won't be a netbook by definition.

It'll be something else. And I bet there will be a LOT of people that want one.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Apple has said it has "ideas" about how to make a better netbook, so we know it's at least on management's minds. Whether this is it, who knows. But if it is, based on previous Apple exec comments it won't compete with inexpensive netbooks, i.e., it will cost significantly more than the typical $299-399.

I'm guessing somewhere in the $799-999 range, but it will have a true C2D, not a wimpy Atom. It would also probably mean the end of the MBA and lowend MB lines. I don't think Apple can support 4 different laptop lines. It's too confusing for consumers.

I'd be in line for a basic low powered C2D 2.0+ tablet/netbook/subnote MB if Apple can keep it under $1000. As long as it has a real keyboard, BT/802.11n, 5+ hrs *real* battery life/and 60GB+ SATA 2.5" SSD I'm happy.

j5045096

Oct 27, 2007
I agree. I run my own service business. I would like something like this for on the road. Preferably it could run windows as well because of some software that I have for working out and about. It would also need usb's and hold your breath firewire.
I like the tablet idea. Even if your had an iLife Tablet where it's like the iPhone ,but you can use iMovie, itunes, iPhoto and such. I mean if they used the same type of smart keyboard what could you not make on it with that software.

yes, I'm a fanboy and proud of it!:rolleyes:

Ryan, in your service business what would you need firewire for while on the road? I'm not being rude - just asking because most firewire applications revolve around storage or video so while you said you would need Firewire while working on the road, I just can't see Apple making something like this with firewire when they cut it from the MacBook.

What you're describing is not a consumer level machine but something more Pro level which would cost a fortune.

I just can't see Apple making a Netbook like we know them today.

RyanR.

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2008
Virginia
What if Apple finally released its version of the tablet, a complete OS X computer with a multi-touch interface? It would require a shift in how people view computers. Most people perceive computers as keyboards and screens. The iPhone and Touch have begun to break with that tradition. But Apple would have to make some huge strides with the interface to sell people on an entirely touch-screen machine.

Perhaps, I think they have had a tablet in the works for awhile now, but like you said they wouldn't sell like they would now. The iPhone/Touch have changed everything. I can see myself now making home movies on my MacTouch using iMovie '09. *** Via firewire Apple!***

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
As per usual it will be $300 more than it should be. I'm sure it will be cool, but overpriced.

"overpriced" is rather subjective. Clark Howard, the consumer advocate, thinks anyone spending more than $500 on a laptop is crazy. Me, my time is valuable, so I find Macs generally are a bargain when you factor in productivity.

RyanR.

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2008
Virginia
Ryan, in your service business what would you need firewire for while on the road? I'm not being rude - just asking because most firewire applications revolve around storage or video so while you said you would need Firewire while working on the road, I just can't see Apple making something like this with firewire when they cut it from the MacBook.

What you're describing is not a consumer level machine but something more Pro level which would cost a fortune.

I just can't see Apple making a Netbook like we know them today.

I see your point. I don't "need" firewire, but I use firewire external hard drives. USB's are a must. I mean my BlackBook works fine on the road, but tablet would be cooler.:D

j5045096

Oct 27, 2007
I'm guessing somewhere in the $799-999 range, but it will have a true C2D, not a wimpy Atom. It would also probably mean the end of the MBA and lowend MB lines. I don't think Apple can support 4 different laptop lines. It's too confusing for consumers.

I'd be in line for a basic low powered C2D 2.0+ tablet/netbook/subnote MB if Apple can keep it under $1000. As long as it has a real keyboard, BT/802.11n, 5+ hrs *real* battery life/and 60GB+ SATA 2.5" SSD I'm happy.

Ain't happening, ain't happening, ain't happening.

First of all the specs you describe would DESTROY Apple's margins. They didn't get 10s of billions in the bank by selling stuff with low margins. Even the iPhone--they're making money on that phone. AT&T might not be on the actual sale of the phone but Apple is.

And these little 8-9" screen netbooks with Core 2 Duos? Fat chance...they don't need them--these aren't power machines. They're billed and advertised as e-mail and internet tools. They can run programs -- you could, in theory, install Adobe Premiere on a netbook, but good luck and why would you? These things were built for checking e-mail and browsing on the internet. Why would they need anything more than an Atom and that said, what incentive do any of these companies have to adding more expensive processors when they can't sell them for any real increase in price?

The expectation has now been set: $400 or less -- again, if I were Apple, I'd sit on the fence and laugh. Don't tell me there are people who are defecting from Apple loyalty to a netbook. ...and don't tell me an Asus netbook is making Joe computer buyer's decision to buy an iMac or a MB/MB Pro harder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.