Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kurosov

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2009
Apple has said it has "ideas" about how to make a better netbook, so we know it's at least on management's minds. Whether this is it, who knows. But if it is, based on previous Apple exec comments it won't compete with inexpensive netbooks, i.e., it will cost significantly more than the typical $299-399.

I'm guessing somewhere in the $799-999 range, but it will have a true C2D, not a wimpy Atom. It would also probably mean the end of the MBA and lowend MB lines. I don't think Apple can support 4 different laptop lines. It's too confusing for consumers.

I'd be in line for a basic low powered C2D 2.0+ tablet/netbook/subnote MB if Apple can keep it under $1000. As long as it has a real keyboard, BT/802.11n, 5+ hrs *real* battery life/and 60GB+ SATA 2.5" SSD I'm happy.

I doubt they'd drop the macbook no matter what they may release in the future. The macbook line is the main apple purchase for students apart from ipods.

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU
BINGO!

Beat me to the punch.

Take (1) Netbook = ~ 200.00
Add Touchscreen functionality = ~ 150.00

Subtotal = ~ 350.00

Add magical Apple fairy dust at the factory

Total = $699.00 :eek:

I'd gladly pay $300 extra dollars for the functionality of OSX. It's not just hardware specs, it's the seamless integration of hardware/software that Apple does well.

Also, show me a Netbook that has decent build quality (i.e. solid aluminum unibody).

edit: will someone please integrate a Turbo3G modem into one of these guys as well ... that's alone would be worth a $300 difference.

babyj

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2006
No, Apple's never been interested in selling cheap products. And it doesn't matter that other companies got out of the gate first with netbooks. Other companies had MP3 players before the iPod. I'm hoping Apple is taking its time with this so that they can get it right.

Where does this "Apple isn't interested in selling cheap products" come from? Everyone seems to forget the iPod Shuffle, which in my book is a cheap product at least partly aimed at the bottom end of the market - Apple producing a similar iPhone or Mac wouldn't be out of place.

Its the same with everyone claiming Apple is an innovator and doesn't follow trends or copy product ideas - none of which is the case. They generally take existing products and produce a better version of it, examples being; the app store, the mp3 player, computers and mobile phones. Apple weren't first to market with any of them, they just did it better.

I can't believe people believe Steve Jobs and Apple when they say they have no interest in a particular market, as it means nothing except that they are most likely working on products for that market but don't have anything ready for release yet.

j5045096

Oct 27, 2007
I see your point. I don't "need" firewire, but I use firewire external hard drives. USB's are a must. I mean my BlackBook works fine on the road, but tablet would be cooler.:D

Sure and I'm sure that it'd be nice to have something made out of aluminum or something like that assuming you keep it a car/truck -- and the black color probably doesn't help keeping it cool; ...and I understand firewire hard drives; I'm definitely in the camp that thinks Apple should have left Firewire in all their computers like they used to (*cough* MacBook) but there are a lot of posts in here saying "Apple should..." when I'm just looking at reality: they won't.

Tablet would be cooler for your applications - I agree. I've always wondered why Apple has never made an attempt at like UPS/FedEx or the shipping receiving industry to build a tablet device for them but I'm going to assume that Apple can't compete in price and/or those companies are Windows-based and planning on staying that way.

If Apple could crack that niche I think we'd have seen an Apple tablet years ago.

The Dells and the HPs etc. have had so much market share for so long that they've just flooded the market with choices - there are so many different Dell or HP computers you can be whereas Apple has been very efficient in their offerings (Mac Mini, iMac, Pro for desktops; Air, MacBook, MB Pro for portables) and again, that is probably why Apple isn't struggling right now. They aren't going to change a business model that isn't broken. That's the whole issue with this netbook craze.

lftrghtparadigm

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2008
I wish this was a good thing. This very well could be the first big mistake in jobs absence.

Why? Because, one of the following needs to be true:
1. The product will seriously compromise (cripple) OSX.
2. The product will not compete (price wise) with other netbooks.
3. The product will not do 1 or 2, and will destroy sales of the appropriately priced apple laptops.

No matter what, as an investor and developer, this will be awful for the company.

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
The underlying theme among netbooks is both portability and affordability. Netbooks are typically used for e-mail and web browsing, a very light solution for those who want basic functionality in a portable package.
If Apple does indeed enter the game, which feature do you think they will completely blow out of the water? a) portability or b) affordability

My money is on B

On another note, a netbook from Apple just may be the ultimate replacement for the 12" Powerbook G4............

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
I remember a rumor some time ago about a larger-than-iPod touch device (7"~9") coming in fall 2009. Maybe that device and the "Apple Netbook" are actually the same thing?

The NetPad is coming! As I predicted at the end of last year. About the size of three iPod Touches side by side, same thickness, accepts finger, stylus with Apple Ink, bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Lots of details in my blog article here.
Agreed for the most part, and you basically said what I've been saying here for a while, just more and better. But I doubt there will be user-replaceable anything. Also I hope for two models with differing screen sizes (≈5.5", ≈8").

So you think I’m mad, eh? Pie in the sky? A science fiction writer?
All of the above. But that's a good thing. :)

SpinThis!

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2007
Inside the Machine (Green Bay, WI)
I'd gladly pay $300 extra dollars for the functionality of OSX. It's not just hardware specs, it's the seamless integration of hardware/software that Apple does well.
The keyword there Mac OS X. People forget these netbooks come with Linux (blah) or Windows XP, and maybe if you can find drivers, Vista Home. People who complain Apple's hardware is $300 overpriced haven't factored in OS X, iLife, and rest of OS X—something even the $300+ Vista Ultimate can't match.

I doubt we'll see Apple release a "Netbook" though... it'll be a touchscreen tablet and it'll cost the same price as the bottom of the line MacBook, maybe $100 less.

smooth

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2007
Detroit
Apple has said it has "ideas" about how to make a better netbook, so we know it's at least on management's minds. Whether this is it, who knows. But if it is, based on previous Apple exec comments it won't compete with inexpensive netbooks, i.e., it will cost significantly more than the typical $299-399.

I'm guessing somewhere in the $799-999 range, but it will have a true C2D, not a wimpy Atom. It would also probably mean the end of the MBA and lowend MB lines. I don't think Apple can support 4 different laptop lines. It's too confusing for consumers.

Having an inexpensive netbook would go against Apple's marketing of selling the whole package, not just the hardware so I agree that an Apple netbook would be considerably higher priced - but also better configured.

I think Apple's lineup is already confusing to consumers. Why is the lowest priced 15" notebook $2000? Many PC users I know just don't want a 13" notebook and will not switch for that cost.

I've said this before, but offer 4 sizes - 11" in addition to the 3 current sizes. Each size comes as either MB or MBP with the Pros having firewire, larger standard hard drive, faster processor etc. The white MB will probably be gone fairly soon and the Air would be a stand-alone product line, possibly even an 11-inch version. It gives the consumer much more choice and simplifies things in the process.

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU
The keyword there Mac OS X. People forget these netbooks come with Linux (blah) or Windows XP, and maybe if you can find drivers, Vista Home. People who complain Apple's hardware is $300 overpriced haven't factored in OS X, iLife, and rest of OS X—something even the $300+ Vista Ultimate can't match.

until I can compile a 50-page research proposal in MSWord on a good Linux distro, there is no alternative for me. I need OSX for the UNIX-based software.

it's either OSX or a dual-boot Windows/Linux machine ... which really sucks for day to day usage.

j5045096

Oct 27, 2007
Where does this "Apple isn't interested in selling cheap products" come from? Everyone seems to forget the iPod Shuffle, which in my book is a cheap product at least partly aimed at the bottom end of the market - Apple producing a similar iPhone or Mac wouldn't be out of place.

the iPod shuffle first came out the size of a pack of Wrigley's and was $99 for 512 memory when there were several other options out there from other companies for less than half that price. Today the Shuffle is $49 for the 1gb. It costs Apple probably $20-25 to make. WalMart sells a SanDisk Sansa 1GB for $29. the iPod costs 67% more. Yes, it's *only* $50 and you too can own an iPod but had you bought the SanDisk you could have also filled up (or at least partially) a tank of gas. Not to mention that it has no screen and the SanDisk does. And If I had $50 to spend and didn't own an mp3 player I would choose the Shuffle over the SanDisk any day simply because of iTunes and the shuffle design.

I imagine I'm not alone in this: my first iPod was a shuffle. It's like a gateway drug! Get you hooked on iTunes - then you wanna start making playlists, or downloading videos--suddenly the Shuffle doesn't cut it. It's brilliant marketing. How many Shuffles were purchased out there and now laying in drawers somewhere because they were replaced quickly with a Nano or Touch or iPhone? I bet quite a few.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
until I can compile a 50-page research proposal in MSWord on a good Linux distro, there is no alternative for me. I need OSX for the UNIX-based software.

it's either OSX or a dual-boot Windows/Linux machine ... which really sucks for day to day usage.

You can compile your research proposal in OpenOffice.Org, or one of the various Latex editors (I know I didn't capitalize that right, I don't care to take the time to figure it out), or in other specialized software for doing so. Linux is perfectly capable, it's just not as nice to work with. I personally much prefer OS X, but don't pretend that Linux can't get the job done.

jW

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
We don't need another laptop, we need another desktop IMO.

That said, I'd probably buy it. I've been after a netbook and was considering an Aspire One. Since I use OSX, I'd rather an Apple netbook.

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
I was eyeing up a Vaio P the other day, wondering about the hurdles to get OS X onto it. Then I realised for £100 more I could just buy a Macbook. The trouble with current Netbooks is that their main function is to sit on the sofa as an internet portal. You feel like an idiot carrying them around in the real world because they are cheap little pieces of crap.

The Vaio P seems to break this stigma somewhat, but not because of the elevated price point, more the branding and desirability through competence in design. I’m certain anything that Apple produces would be even better, and would surely be able to undercut the Vaio P price, and add a premium to the regular netbook market price. Although I would hate to see the whole world carrying around functionally crippled mini-notebooks. It would also surely cannibalise apples burgeoning marketshare for its traditionally sized notebooks. It's a difficult market to judge, and how it fits into the whole mobile computing ecosystem.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
I would love to see a Mac netbook and would pay a premium (up to a point) for one. I was thinking of replacing my MacBook with a netbook/mini combo so the timing is great. Same spec as the MacBook, smaller CPU, no DVD, smaller battery, 9" screen. 1.8" drive. Perfect. If it disappoints, I'll buy a Dell mini 9 and hackintosh it but I bet for around $700, Apple could pull off something great.

MysterMac

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2007
Every netbook I've played around with was painful
... it's awkward to use ... beyond awkward ... the thing is just impossible to use.

wow, painful - ok Im with you

awkward, I thought you just said painful ?

beyond, oh beyond awkward is it now..

impossible, cmon - youre getting carried away now :rolleyes:

iPhoneNYC

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2007
Netbook

I would wish that it had an IPhone built in or the option to activate...

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU
You can compile your research proposal in OpenOffice.Org, or one of the various Latex editors (I know I didn't capitalize that right, I don't care to take the time to figure it out), or in other specialized software for doing so. Linux is perfectly capable, it's just not as nice to work with. I personally much prefer OS X, but don't pretend that Linux can't get the job done.

jW

Actually, I've tried OO several times and, I hate to say this, but it fails almost every single time. OO can't get it done with 20+ embedded images. When you have very precise restrictions (like not having a seventh line of text within one vertical inch and margins measured to the mm) and tons of money on-the-line, I can't trust OO to work when I need it to. It's ages better than it was even 2 years ago, but it's not an MSWord substitute just yet.

Hence, OSX is the best way to get MSWord and Unix-based apps on one single-booting operating system.

Diaresi

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2007
BINGO!

Beat me to the punch.

Take (1) Netbook = ~ 200.00
Add Touchscreen functionality = ~ 150.00

Subtotal = ~ 350.00

Add magical Apple fairy dust at the factory

Total = $699.00 :eek:

Man that man me laugh :D

IMO the MacBook Air is a pointless product. I just cannot see a reason for an insanely priced, thin, 13" laptop without an optical drive.

And you say netbooks are underpowered? Well, of course they'll never get close to a full-sized laptop, but there are already chips/chipsets in the works that would allow an Eee or whatever to playback Full HD video - which is no mean feat!

Netbooks do and will continue to cater to a LOT of people. It wouldn't surprise me if the netbook marketshare on its own surpassed the ENTIRE Mac market share in a few years.

I'm not saying Apple can't compete in this market, but I can't see how an Apple NetBook would "change the playing field". Perhaps Apple will surprise me. The reason why the iPod succeeded is because (in order): They put Firewire (compared to USB 1.1) on the thing and made it easy to sync with iTunes rather than drag & drop, they brought iTunes out on Windows, they released the iPod Mini (in effect, they created a cheaper product).

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
I'm one of those people who doubts Apple will release a netbook and if it does, I'm sure it'll be way overpriced and underpowered compared to what's out there. Something I'd like to see is the tablet Mac sold at macsales.com or something like a PADD on Star Trek. Just something simple, just a screen, 2-3 USB ports, 9-10" touchscreen, iSight, built-in GPS, & an SSD drive. But that's just me.

HyperZboy

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2007
The lowest-end Mac Pro.

You must be joking or on crack!

The X-Mac is the mythical $1599-$1999 low-cost Mac mini-tower that will never happen as long as Steve Jobs runs Apple.

I hate to sound old, but back in the day, the low PowerMac tower was $1599 if I remember correctly and quite a powerful machine for the day too. Back then the Performa was the equivalent of today's iMacs.

Now, the low end Mac tower is $900 more and in some countries certainly more than $1000 or more expensive!

Personally, I'd never in a million years buy an iMac no matter how nice they are even though I like them.

Forcing people to end up with a useless expensive sweet widescreen LCD display that they have no use for in 3-5 yrs is nothing more than one of Steve Jobs' classic con jobs.

That's why you WON'T see an X-MAC or a $1599 Mac Pro anytime soon or possibly ever.

Well, unless, Mac sales start tanking and they get desperate, but honestly, even that probably wouldn't change Steve Jobs mind since Apple seems to have more interest in iPhone/iPod, etc than Macs lately.

And at the current pricing of new Mac products, I'm not optimistic for '09 for Macs.

I mean, c'mon, how many years has the Powermac G5/Mac Pro case design been used now?

Apple is just redesigning the term "long in the tooth" when it comes to towers.
Swap out some parts, shove it in the same old case, yeah, that's the ticket.

NOT!

Sad, in my opinion. :(

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
I saw an article recently that said Intel was working to greatly lower the expense of the ULV type processors used in the Macbook Air to bring more power to the high end netbook market.

My money is on a Macbook Air model for $899 or $999, putting it in it's rightful place below the Macbook in price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.