Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cfs112

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2012
damn, i tried it again on my iPhone 5, the touch recognition freeze happened momentarily. it isn't that big of a deal, but the thing i loved most about apple was the high quality build of their items . . . if this is a hardware issue i would definitely expect a replacement. but then again i'm torn, how often do i swipe rapidly in a diagonal motion on my iPhone? before i saw this article, never. so it really doesn't affect my day to day use of my phone.

LeoNobilis

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2006
The Netherlands
Screen unresponsive here-and-there

I've noticed compromised responsiveness in the edges, most particularly, the bottom, of the iPhone 5 (running iOS 6.0.1). This is most evident when typing: the Language, Space, Shift keys quite often won't react properly.

Also, the screen mapping appears to be quite inaccurate: sometimes I'll have to touch the same spot a few times for the screen to react.

Mine is a new (arrived a couple of days ago) iPhone 5 64GB, white, in otherwise an exemplary state.

I hope, this is a software issue that won't take long for Apple to resolve.

deyjavoo

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2008
Wow this the most retarded news I have seen regarding the iPhone 5. I don't like the apple apologists, but c'mon this is absolute rubbish and never affects real usage.

BuckusToothnail

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2012
Why does it seem like Apple products are getting worse and worse? The iPhone 4 screen looked better than the iPhone 4S screen, and now the iPhone 4S screen works better than the iPhone 5 screen.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
This is very simple, but most people like you are clueless as to the actual facts.
The reason capital gains are taxed at a lower rate is because the money used to buy stocks, bonds or anything like that has already been fully taxed as wages or salary.
You buy stocks with money that has already been taxed at regular rates. You are being taxed twice on the same money. That is why capital gains are taxed lower than salaried income. Make Sense? Or is it just that anybody who has worked hard, and invested their hard earned (and fully taxed) money is somehow evil?

Fact of the matter is pretty much all money in circulation has been taxed at some point or another anyway. Ultimately money paid as salary was initially revenue for the employer which was already taxed. (and that revenue was someone else's income which was taxed, etc...)

And the system is broken anyway. It's very easy for people who are already rich to game it. Those of us who aren't fortunate enough to have millions lying around end up paying more in tax. Let's say I earn $250k/yr. I invest and make a gain of another $20k or so. Guess what, I end up paying my income tax rate (which is 36% or whatever) on that $20k.

Someone like Steve Jobs who had a Ssalary of $1 pays <15% on his billions

Why should his gains be taxed less than mine, especially when I end up earning considerably less?

----------

This is moronic. Any increase in the capital gains rate will result in fewer people cashing out their gains, which means LESS revenue for uncle Sam.

Rich folk who pay no taxes, are living off of after tax cash they already had in the bank. They will take no salary from their jobs (Steve had a $1 salary as CEO), and instead take compensation in comapny stock which they do not sell, or realize a gain. Whatever other income they have, they offset by write-offs (deductions, charity) so their effective income is in fact actually ZERO. When they do sell their company stock, yes they're taxed at long term (after one year) capital gains rates.

If you want to tax rich people more, all you have to do is implement a different capital gains rate, for those who earned their stock/assets through job compensation.

Here's the thing though. Even if I invest only with what I had saved (and therefore already paid taxes on), my gains end up getting taxed based on what my salary is -- not based on how much I make through the market. I disagree with that policy. It should not be based on my tax bracket, but instead on the amount of money I gained when I decide to cash out.

The only way I can possibly enjoy such low tax rates is if I have enough money saved up that I don't need an income to sustain my life's requirements.

----------

In addition to what others have said, you must realise that investing isn't a safe process. One is not guaranteed to make a profit. Any effective tax rate on capital gains already makes it difficult to invest, as it (along with brokerage fees, etc.) cuts into the percentage gain. Imagine I've invested $1000.00 each in two companies, and one stock under-performs and I lose money while the other makes me slightly more than I lost with the former. With such a high effective tax rate, I'll end up losing money on the ordeal.

In other words, it makes the risk involved in investing/trading too great for many (or potentially most) people. Plus it will hurt the small-time investors disproportionally more than the large; those with more money have greater access to diversification.

The moment you cash out, the risk is taken out of the equation. I'm not saying one should pay taxes based on how much the stocks are worth. I'm saying one should pay taxes based on how much money they actually gained by the time they decide to sell the stocks. As it stands now, if you realize several million dollars through the market, but your actual salary was very low, you end up paying 15% in taxes.

The guy who earns $100k on salary and earns a modest $25k in the market will pay ~30% on those gains.

Edit: I was thinking of short term capital gains for most of my post. Though even someone with no salary pays 0% on long-term anyway, so I think the point applies. Ideally, the amount you're taxed should depend on the amount you make through the market.

It doesn't take a genius to note that the risk isn't as large as portrayed by some. All one has to look at is how much the overall wealth of the "investor class" grew in comparison with everyone else.

Last edited:

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Unless you are Steve Jobs you don't know what he would or wouldn't have approved. So drop that line.

As for the state of things, Jobs had his share of things coming out with bugs. It happens with tech no matter how many variations you try to test.

And Jobs would have very possibly approved of the iPad Mini as it is. The screen looks fine for 99% of the target audience and that is who would matter to him.

Actually the LCD looks fantastic to 99.5% of the , ready, here we go, the hard part, " TARGET Costumer/Audience". So simple, yet so much Apple Hate in the World.

Wait till Q4 2013. Buy now people. Buy now. ;)

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
This is very simple, but most people like you are clueless as to the actual facts.
The reason capital gains are taxed at a lower rate is because the money used to buy stocks, bonds or anything like that has already been fully taxed as wages or salary.
You buy stocks with money that has already been taxed at regular rates. You are being taxed twice on the same money. That is why capital gains are taxed lower than salaried income. Make Sense? Or is it just that anybody who has worked hard, and invested their hard earned (and fully taxed) money is somehow evil?

umm it is not tax twice. You should do the math on it. You are only tax at the difference between what you bought the stock at and then its gains. AKA profit.

Now the only argument for it slightly being lower is you have had that money tied up for at least 1 year min as if you sell in under a year it is tax as income. Now I would be fore saying up to X amount of money (say 20-30k) to be taxed as capitial gains but anything after that is treated as income.

STiNG Operation

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
The Zoo
So they do and the issue doesn't happen for them

But really that is moot. Return periods exist so if YOU are not happy with your purchase, regardless of how someone else feels, you can return it for your money or another product. So go get that 4s and enjoy

Thanks. Now let this thread die.

ezhilk

macrumors member
May 15, 2011
Michigan
Bollocks. You can scroll down in Safari as fast as possible, you have to do it at least 5 times faster than that to trigger this.

The amount of people in this thread popping up saying "I've noticed this" when they blatantly haven't or even better the ones applying this to the reason why they think they're keypad isn't as responsive as the 4S. Brilliant. Sigh.

A little hot under the collar aren't we..Seeing that your signature doesn't list the 5 as one of the devices you own, I am just not sure how you can confidently proclaim the issue that I am facing on my 5 is just my imagination. Disagree with me all you want, but at least back them up with rational arguments instead of some asinine remark.

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
Fact of the matter is pretty much all money in circulation has been taxed at some point or another anyway. Ultimately money paid as salary was initially revenue for the employer which was already taxed. (and that revenue was someone else's income which was taxed, etc...)

And the system is broken anyway. It's very easy for people who are already rich to game it. Those of us who aren't fortunate enough to have millions lying around end up paying more in tax. Let's say I earn $250k/yr. I invest and make a gain of another $20k or so. Guess what, I end up paying my income tax rate (which is 36% or whatever) on that $20k.

Someone like Steve Jobs who had a Ssalary of $1 pays <15% on his billions

Why should his gains be taxed less than mine, especially when I end up earning considerably less?

----------

Here's the thing though. Even if I invest only with what I had saved (and therefore already paid taxes on), my gains end up getting taxed based on what my salary is -- not based on how much I make through the market. I disagree with that policy. It should not be based on my tax bracket, but instead on the amount of money I gained when I decide to cash out.

The only way I can possibly enjoy such low tax rates is if I have enough money saved up that I don't need an income to sustain my life's requirements.

----------

The moment you cash out, the risk is taken out of the equation. I'm not saying one should pay taxes based on how much the stocks are worth. I'm saying one should pay taxes based on how much money they actually gained by the time they decide to sell the stocks. As it stands now, if you realize several million dollars through the market, but your actual salary was very low, you end up paying 15% in taxes.

The guy who earns $100k on salary and earns a modest $25k in the market will pay ~30% on those gains.

Edit: I was thinking of short term capital gains for most of my post. Though even someone with no salary pays 0% on long-term anyway, so I think the point applies. Ideally, the amount you're taxed should depend on the amount you make through the market.

It doesn't take a genius to note that the risk isn't as large as portrayed by some. All one has to look at is how much the overall wealth of the "investor class" grew in comparison with everyone else.

I'm not going to argue about the details with you. Our difference is really about philosophy regarding Government. For example, lets say I've done a lot of research on rare coins. I decide to buy one that I think might gain substantial value. I pay $1000 for this coin. Two years later I sell the coin for $4000. Tell me why the Government is entitled to a percentage of my $4000 when I did all the research and made the wise choice. Tell me why they deserve a cut of my gain when I disagree with 98% of the ways they intend to spend the money they extort from me. If I don't pay up they send in their enforcer the IRS. If I still don't pay they throw me in jail. It comes down to what you believe the function of government is. I believe Govt. should provide a military, a police force, firefighters, jails, and not much else. A bare minimum of services. I'm betting you think bigger government is a good thing. People like you are willing to trade freedom for security. It's the way we are headed. It's sad to watch the US slowly sink into the mire.

hchung

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2008
It was on a power strip/board at work.
Tried it at home and wasn't an issue.
Interesting nonetheless.

The sleep issue is still occurring.

As you can probably tell, there's something up with the power outlets at your work. This happens all over the place with all sorts of devices from all sorts of manufacturers. Typically in older buildings or ones wired up by amateurs, causing the voltage compared to earth ground to be significantly different.

Not sure about the sleep issue though, not enough info for me to speculate.

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK
So this is actually a product of touching the edges of the phone while you do this... Try it and keep your finger within the range of the screen... it won't drop at all. :)

I've tried to replicate the touch recognition issue on my iPhone 5 with iOS 6.0.1 and keeping my finger within the range of the screen (which is what you would be doing in use) I do not have the touch recognition issue.

Like you say "this is actually a product of touching the edges of the phone" which is understandable as the touch screen operation would get interrupt if the finger was going off of the touch screen area of the phone.

Like others have mentioned, in game play (has this is what would be affected most with a screen recognition issue) there is no touch recognition issue.

----------

Why does it seem like Apple products are getting worse and worse? The iPhone 4 screen looked better than the iPhone 4S screen, and now the iPhone 4S screen works better than the iPhone 5 screen.

Unless I'm mistaken, the iPhone 4 and 4S screen are the same. I've had the iPhone 4, iPhone 4S and I now have the iPhone 5. I find the iPhone 5’s screen to be a lot better than my iPhone 4 & 4S screen. The colours on my iPhone 5 are a lot more vivid.

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
So if you scrub at your phone like a crazy man the phone gives up and stops scrolling. Can't see this as a problem at all, it could of course be the accidental tough heuristics kicking in with the phone rejecting this as invalid input. Either way can't see it effecting many people.

digitalrampage

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2001
Sydney, Australia
Ug

This reeks of the same nonsense as the purple tinge on the iPhone 5 photos.

OMG It must be the sapphire lens..

Technology evolves, products evolve, we should too.

If MacRumors was created on the first day, I was here on the second.

kernnell

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2012
Tried several iPhone 5 demo units, i can replicate problem in all of them, it doesn´t take more than 5 or 6 diagonal swipes,
however it doesn't happen in the maps app. is it because of the multitouch support?

Has anyone tried this on Fuit Ninja or Infinity Blade.
Please try it guys!

i really like the iPhone 5, but this is a deal breaker for me.

i couldn't try this myself because i cant instal any apps on the store demonstration iPhones

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA

The 4 screen looks better than the 4S?

My 4S looks way better than my friends 2 year old 4. His 4 screen is washed out and almost faded looking compared to my crisp 4S screen.

Maybe you're talking about the screens getting warmer since the 4S, which I do agree with.

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK
Tried several iPhone 5 demo units, i can replicate problem in all of them, it doesn´t take more than 5 or 6 diagonal swipes,
however it doesn't happen in the maps app. is it because of the multitouch support?

Has anyone tried this on Fuit Ninja or Infinity Blade.
Please try it guys!

i really like the iPhone 5, but this is a deal breaker for me.

i couldn't try this myself because i cant instal any apps on the store demonstration iPhones

I'm sure the games you mentioned we're tried by someone earlier in the thread and they did not suffer any touch recognition issues.

kernnell

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2012
Holy ****

I've encountered this glitch in Temple Run and Infinity Blade and I thought I was going insane hahaah

can anyone else confirm this?

Why doesn't it stop responding in the maps app?

----------

if you don't have any of those games you can try it Blood & Glory, it's free!

gsletta

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2012
Unless it is a limitation on the touch processor (which I highly doubt because it probably wouldn't be able to do the diagonal swipes at all nvm after a couple seconds of doing it) This is a software issue and can/will be fixed in due time. Its not like it affects my daily use anyways

kernnell

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2012
Unless it is a limitation on the touch processor (which I highly doubt because it probably wouldn't be able to do the diagonal swipes at all nvm after a couple seconds of doing it) This is a software issue and can/will be fixed in due time. Its not like it affects my daily use anyways

now we just need to know that for sure... and that is the million dollar question

----------

imagine that the problem is an incompatibility between the touch processor and the new screen size

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.