Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What's your opinion of Transformers (the movie)?

• Great!

Votes: 32 55.2%
  • Good

Votes: 13 22.4%
  • Mediocre

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Disappointing

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Have not seen it

Votes: 5 8.6%

• Total voters

combatcolin

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2004
Northants, UK
Import sites

Can anyone recommend any Japanese import sites for Transformers toys, intrested in both the proper re-issues and the dodgy "un-licensed" toys, such as the special teams China knock-offs that turn up on eBay.

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
Something really annoyed me about this movie.

They didn't want megatron to turn into a gun like G1 because they didn't want him to change mass. This is also the reason for Optimus's truck change, because the regular semi he was wouldn't have had enough mass to make him such a big robot.

Basically they said this "mass changing" was cheating.

Then they went away and did it with the allspark cube. It went from massive down to a little tiny cube... Isn't that the same thing as megatron getting smaller...

It seems they just wanted an excuse to make all new toys!

combatcolin

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2004
Northants, UK
Maybe the Baystertm will bring in the "Mass Displacement Technology" (C Simon Furman) in the next film.

The Constructicons are rumoured to be in the next film, and Devastator is simply huge compared with most Transformers.

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
Maybe the Baystertm will bring in the "Mass Displacement Technology" (C Simon Furman) in the next film.

The Constructicons are rumoured to be in the next film, and Devastator is simply huge compared with most Transformers.

Devastator was in the movie. He was a tank!

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Exactly what i was thinking as i sat through the movie. It's a cool movie about transforming robots, but it is not a transformers movie.

Yeah that's exactly how I felt after seeing it.

It's great movie for people with little or no recollection of 'The Transformers' G1, but for us late 20's early 30's peeps who grew up with them; this was a rather sullied experience.

Exactly as you say TBi 100%

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
Well, I've had the chance to see it and I'm afraid I wasn't that impressed. The special effects were certainly excellent, but in terms of storyline it was very, very lacking and there were sections of the film where it just seemed to drag.

Giant fighting robots and explosions are quite ace of course, so I enjoyed that, but as for the rest... overall, I was quite disappointed with it.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
I'll be checking out Transformers tonight and am curious to see what my reaction is after reading all the feedback. I grew up with the Transformers (still have my original Optimus Prtime, Megatron, Starscream, Omega Supreme, etc. figures! :D ) so I'm eager to see what my thoughts are based on my background with the franchise. I have no doubt the visual effects will be great, especially on the big screen, but whether the movie itself ends up being excellent or not is still up in the air for me based on these reviews - not sure what I'll make of it...

Only a few hours and I guess I'll see for myself! :cool:

Giant fighting robots and explosions are quite ace of course, so I enjoyed that, but as for the rest... overall, I was quite disappointed with it.
No kidding. I sware, I almost wished I'd blocked my ears and had a fast forward button so I could jump to all the action sequences. Honestly, I bet some fan out there who thinks the way we do could actually re-cut the movie into something that isn't crap. --Even more so after the DVD comes out and there's more "robot" interaction footage to choose from. Me personally, I couldn't live through it again. I'd have to kill myself.

Kind of... kind of like the process that gave us this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tpbp9GXOGU

--Which made me laugh.

~ CB

Clydefrog

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2006
Pittsburgh,PA
I saw the movie last weekend, overall the thought it was a pretty good movie, good affects, etc and most parts were not over done. Can't wait for the sequel!!

Chrismcfall

Suspended
Aug 10, 2006
I quite liked it. The cars were nice as well. Imagine a UK version..With Barricade as a Astra Police car:p Was a little long though.

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2006
The above poll needs another option:

'Michael Bay must never be allowed anywhere near a film again."

(And, no I haven't seen the film. And I never will.)

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
The above poll needs another option:

'Michael Bay must never be allowed anywhere near a film again."

(And, no I haven't seen the film. And I never will.)

After The Island I thought I'd give him just one last chance.

I wish I hadn't.

I'm 21, but I also grew up with Transformers due to re-runs here in the UK.

I saw the film with 2 other guys and 3 gals. They were all younger than me by a little bit, and none of them really remembered the show. They all enjoyed the film, but I was scowling!

Gah!

Someone stop giving Michael Bay money... oh yeah, that'd be me then...

combatcolin

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2004
Northants, UK
Heartbreak Ridge

Was watching Heartbreak Ridge tonight on Channel Five (UK), and i realised that the BaysterTM lifted the whole scene where they have to use a credit card to contact base in order to call in an air strike after they lose there normal means of communication.

Naughty!

lozanoj83

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2006
Southern California
Was watching Heartbreak Ridge tonight on Channel Five (UK), and i realised that the BaysterTM lifted the whole scene where they have to use a credit card to contact base in order to call in an air strike after they lose there normal means of communication.

Naughty!

Im not sure if I understood you correctly, but that was in the movie...
unless im lost :confused::rolleyes::eek:

combatcolin

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2004
Northants, UK
Clint Eastwoods Gunnery Sargent and his platoon are trapped inside a building under small arm and cannon fire.

They cannot use there radios, i think they were shot up and need to contact command for air support.

Clint then orders one of his men to mend an old phone line that had been cut, they then place a reverse charges call back to there base a 1000 miles away in the States, the operator thinks at first it is a joke but still insists on a valid credit card.

The grid co-ordinates are then relaid back via the public telephone system to the Army, who organise an air strike to destroy the enemy.

Sound familiar at all????!!!???

;)

I had forgotten that scene from Heartbreak Ridge as well.

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
I appreciate people are deeply into the comics, TV series and so on but for the most part, what I find amusing about all the people who say this film is a travesty and the storyline is sh*t, and the TV series was the best thing ever, consider this; with all the hype around the movie my brother and I (33 and 25 respectively) bought the whole TV series on DVD. When we were kids we used to watch the show religiously, I had the toys etc etc.

Five minutes in to the first episode and I was pretty amused. Not because the cartoons are so amazing and the film was such a disaster in comparison, but because the TV series, when you look at it now, is pretty laughable. Sentimentality still makes it's great and and all, but come on, are you really trying to tell me it's stood the test of time and the story lines are so amazing? That the animation, artwork etc. are just legendary? B/S. It's a 20 year old cartoon, and masturbating over how good that is and how the film sucks is ridiculous. For example, there's an episode where all the Decepticons get drunk. Hilarious? Definitely. Oscar winning? Hardly. Another episode is called, "The girl who loved Powerglide"... Is this really so different from some of the criticised "humor" in the film? I don't think so.

And how does pretty much every episode of the TV series go? Decepticons beat Autobots, Autobots come back and beat Decepticons. Next episode: reverse scenario. Next episode; throw in a new character (if you're lucky) and "Ohhh these two robots join together!"

And most of it is ridiculously cheesy too - just like the film. And the film is over two hours long, right? Sit down and in one go watch the same amount of time watching the cartoon, then see how amazing you think it still is.

The movie is a Transformers movie and all said and done, if you look at the TV series without your rose-tinted glasses they're not too far apart in terms of quality.

Another relevant test? Go into Toys 'R Us now and I bet you'll find it a pretty different experience compared to when you were nine years old. Sure, some of the toys are still cool. But, overall, the fact that you're now the same height as the shelves and not looking up in awe as endless rows of shiny toy packaging, boxes, bicycles and climbing frames makes it a bit different, doesn't it?

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
I felt the same way about the Smurfs. Loved them when I was a kid. Saw a few episodes recently, and they were just awful. Even for the time. He-Man was no different. We just don't like seeing our childhoods messed with. Some changes are fine. Welcome actually. But some of it is just pandering and completely against character. I.e. SpiderMan 3.

Still haven't seen the movie, but at this point I can wait until it comes out on DVD.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
transformers (from graphics and rendering POV) = THE BEST MOVIE EVER MADE!!!!!!!
omg its incredible!!!!!

from the original story its pretty not close to it, but best movie ever IMHO

Retired
May 16, 2006
I loved the film, but the only knowledge I had beforehand was that things transform into robots, and I'd seen pictures of Optimus Prime :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.