Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What's your opinion of Transformers (the movie)?

• Great!

Votes: 32 55.2%
  • Good

Votes: 13 22.4%
  • Mediocre

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Disappointing

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Have not seen it

Votes: 5 8.6%

• Total voters

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
^^

The acting was horrible, the characters were one-dimensional, it was packed to the brim with one-liners and gratuitous references to the Transformers cartoon series, it was fairly predictable, right down to the sequel-allowing ending, and the whole movie was a thinly veiled General Motors commercial.

In summary...

I want to see it again. Brilliant. Simply brilliant. Quite possibly the best live-action conversion of a cartoon I have ever seen. It couldn't have brought me back to being eight years old any better if it had energion cubes.

iMichael72

macrumors regular
May 19, 2007
Maryland, U.S.A
Just saw this thread.

I loved the movie. I was a huge Transformers cartoon and toy fan growing up.

The special effects were amazing.

And Megan Fox...so freaking hot!!

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
000493880458nt7.jpg

^^^Blackout

Here is a nice article about the guy who designs the transformers. Some nice high quality renders on the last page.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I never watched the cartoon but I thought this was the best movie I've seen in a long time, and I've seen a lot of movies recently. Wow! Who'd have ever thought I'd have enjoyed it! :cool:

applecrag

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2004
I just saw the movie again and noticed during the credits there is a brief clip of starscream flying off into space. Makes sense for a great sequel!

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
It had a very lose end.. What was the point that humans found their language out and the whole FBI/Swat team invading the dudes home (all that crap) when discovering that they used a language didn't make a difference at all in the end.

Yea... just nit-picking, I loved it.

ryan

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2002
Denver, CO
The one thing...

that I didn't like about it (and maybe I'm just getting old) but during the final battle scene I had a hard time telling the Autobots and Decepticons apart. I think the reason for this is that the camera shots were too close, they needed to pull back a bit, and there wasn't that much difference visually between the two sets of robots when they were in robot form.

iamdavor

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2007
Seen it twice and every-time I squeal with joy like a little school girl. Kidding, but def worth the money.

What I didnt really seem to understand is, at the end of the movie when the all-park burns Megatron and they say that they will dispose of him. You see the helicopters hoist him into the air in one piece and start to drop him into the water, just as they found him lying there. You'd think they'd go ahead and dismember him or something, to prevent further chaos. I believe this is the key to possibly a sequel.

combatcolin

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2004
Northants, UK
Uk release.

Saw it today on 1st day of general release in the UK, much better than i thought it was going to be.

The best special effects i have ever seen, generally laugh out loud humour and and a real sense of occasion (and the hairs on my back standing on end!!) when Sam meets Prime for the 1st time.

Slightly annoying that all the alt modes were all American, the original was much more representative of different country's.

Tempted to watch it again, maybe in a sequel Megatron will finally get his Earth robot mode and not a sheer uncharismatic mess of metal.

Anyone else had the feeling that Sam would bond with Prime as a Powermaster in the end or was it just me?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Slightly annoying that all the alt modes were all American, the original was much more representative of different country's.

I think you understate it! It was a GM commercial. In addition to the autobots, I don't think there was a single road vehicle aside from Barricade that was not a General Motors (USA) vehicle. Even the lady with her son on the bridge when OP and Megatron were fighting is in a Cadillac SRX.

Still, amazing, and I'm glad you got to see it. :)

combatcolin

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2004
Northants, UK
I think you understate it! It was a GM commercial. In addition to the autobots, I don't think there was a single road vehicle aside from Barricade that was not a General Motors (USA) vehicle. Even the lady with her son on the bridge when OP and Megatron were fighting is in a Cadillac SRX.

Still, amazing, and I'm glad you got to see it. :)

According to Wikipedia GM coughed up all the wagons for free, in exchange for the advertising.

Although it was annoying that they were all Yank Tanks (Jazz not a Porsche?! ) actually having real cars made a massive difference.

And, amazingly enough, they almost made an American car desirable to this Brit, Bumblebee's ancient Camero was sort of oddly cool.

Another point, none of the Transformers used any sort or rifle/pistol like the original series, every weapon was built in to there bodies. That didn't register untill i got home.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Another point, none of the Transformers used any sort or rifle/pistol like the original series, every weapon was built in to there bodies. That didn't register untill i got home.

My girlfriend, who was making fun of the "physics" of the original transformers, was amused and relieved when I told her that Megatron did not turn into a gun that could be held in the hand of another Transformer who was the same size as him in robot mode. :D

combatcolin

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2004
Northants, UK
My girlfriend, who was making fun of the "physics" of the original transformers, was amused and relieved when I told her that Megatron did not turn into a gun that could be held in the hand of another Transformer who was the same size as him in robot mode. :D

PAH!

Just ask her when the live action My Little Pony movie is out! :p

combatcolin

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2004
Northants, UK
DR Kermode (he use's his doctorate when he's in a bad mood - which is often) is always worth listening to, whether you agree with him is another matter.

You can sub to his film review podcasts via the BBC on iTunes by the way.

And you can also win a new car if he ever reviews a film without saying "narrative" or "genre"!!

And while his comments of "The game of the toy" are accurate, if the story or characters were't any cop then they wouldn't have made either film?, eh Mark, cough, sorry DR Kermode

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.