Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

McRosco

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2012
True, it is clear on their site. I just fancy a neater solution without having to remove part of the case all the time.

I should point out that my ire is not directed towards Twig - very pleased with my case, a thing of great beauty.

HowEver

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
Toronto
FYI, the bamboo engraved case slides neatly over a Power Support HD Anti-Glare screen protector with no problem whatsoever.

There was a problem with the apparently badly cut temporary screen protector I was using (Rocketfish garbage), bulging up. But hey, not the fault of the case, just the stupidly oversized Rocketfish product.

Now I am complete : ) .

tmgarvey

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2012
South Jersey
FYI, the bamboo engraved case slides neatly over a Power Support HD Anti-Glare screen protector with no problem whatsoever.

There was a problem with the apparently badly cut temporary screen protector I was using (Rocketfish garbage), bulging up. But hey, not the fault of the case, just the stupidly oversized Rocketfish product.

Now I am complete : ) .
Toldja so!! :) Glad it worked out.

S.E.

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2012
Can anyone confirm BodyGuardz Pure screen protector works with Twig Case? Thanks.

dbo43867

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2012
I thought I'd post some pictures of my Twig case! I was not part of the pre-order, but I did get it quickly.

The tolerances are very tight. I had a Skinomi on the back, and I think I could have forced the phone into the case, but I decided to remove the back film instead. A thinner, dry film may still work on the back.

My Mediadevil screen protector has been ever so slightly disrupted by the case. It is because of the screen protectors alignment though- I am not good at applying protectors and it is slightly off center. At the edge of the side where it almost sticks out over the bezel, the Twig case and the protector don't get along. I am confident that with competent installation, this, and other screen protectors will work well with this case!

Update: I peeled and reapplied the protector, centered this time, and there is no interference. It is still very close though!

So far I really like the case, I will report back to this thread in a week or two!

Here are the pictures:

dsc01322p.jpg

dsc01327eq.jpg

dsc01348ll.jpg

dsc01351tc.jpg

dsc01344d.jpg

dsc01357ax.jpg

dsc01359g.jpg

Last edited:

DanielCoffey

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2010
Edinburgh, UK
That really does look lovely.

You should not need the back protector if you are using a Twig Case - in fact they advise not using one due to the tight tolerances.

My order #1880 was despatched on the 20th, arrived in the UK on the 22nd and has been sitting "Awaiting Customs Charging" ever since. Still, it (or the VAT demand) will probably arrive shortly.

mysterydate

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2010
Waseca, MN
Cyber Monday is for amateurs. We're kicking it up a notch.

Discount code: TWIGTHANKSYOU

Free Priority shipping in the US, Free First Class International shipping everywhere else. On everything.

ALL WEEK LONG.

BTW, those are some sweet pics :)

dbo43867

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2012
Nope, the headphones fit great.

I just hope some day, auxiliary cable manufacturers or cell phone case manufacturers wake up and create a product that allows you to fit the cable in without removing the case. At least this one is split so you only have to remove the bottom and not the entire case.

Many splitters these days have a cable so they attach to the jack like normal headphones.

My normal, non-Apple (Thinksound- also a very eco friendly company!) headphones fit just fine. Old school, oversized headphones maybe not. But all of the OTC earbuds will fit just fine: SkullCandy, Sony, Sennheiser, etc.

I think one reason why I like this case so much from a visual standpoint is that the black sides and the black and white pattern on the back sort of balance out the contrast between the screen and the white front of the phone.

No doubt about it, it's hard to beat the naked phone for sheer elegance, but given that most of us want to protect it somehow, this is about as good as it gets, as far as I'm concerned.

Agreed 100%

And since I really need a case, why not make it an awesome one that adds some character!

Can anyone confirm BodyGuardz Pure screen protector works with Twig Case? Thanks.

I just ordered a Pure. I will let you know when I get it.

That really does look lovely.

You should not need the back protector if you are using a Twig Case - in fact they advise not using one due to the tight tolerances.

My order #1880 was despatched on the 20th, arrived in the UK on the 22nd and has been sitting "Awaiting Customs Charging" ever since. Still, it (or the VAT demand) will probably arrive shortly.

Customs! Well, it will be worth the wait once you get it! Yeah I read the advisory, but I'm one of those who likes to try things (and sometimes break them!) just to confirm myself. Fortunately this time nothing was broken, but when Twig says not to use a protector, they mean it.

BTW, those are some sweet pics :)

Why thank you. :) This is a sweet case!

Last edited:

terminus123

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2012
Just got my Gate Bamboo case! (pic will come soon, once I find another camera other than my iphone).

-Amazing detail!
-Very solid construction, I think bamboo one's are less flexible than pure paper cases
-Very tight fit, dust will most likely not get in there
-Buttons slightly harder to press, kinda obvious
-Very Light!
-Packaging case is a nice bonus!
-I set my phone screen down now so A) I can show off the design on the back and B) the screen doesn't touch the table since the case provides some space.
-Also, I chose the Gate Bamboo since the black background seamlessly melds into the black side/bezels of the case.

HowEver

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
Toronto
So for those that have had their TwigCase a while: is the lasered bamboo surface getting that patina from being handled?

I was going to lacquer or something but want to wait until it gets a patina.. by which time it might have smoothed out so it doesn't even need a lacquer.

Thoughts?

"Patina ( /ˈpætɨnə/ or /pəˈtiːnə/) is a tarnish that forms on the surface of copper, bronze and similar metals (produced by oxidation or other chemical processes); stone;[1] a sheen on wooden furniture produced by age, wear, and polishing; or any such acquired change of a surface through age and exposure. Patinas can provide a protective layer to materials that would otherwise be damaged by corrosion or weathering. They may also be aesthetically appealing."

tmgarvey

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2012
South Jersey
So for those that have had their TwigCase a while: is the lasered bamboo surface getting that patina from being handled?

I was going to lacquer or something but want to wait until it gets a patina.. by which time it might have smoothed out so it doesn't even need a lacquer.

Thoughts?

"Patina ( /ˈpætɨnə/ or /pəˈtiːnə/) is a tarnish that forms on the surface of copper, bronze and similar metals (produced by oxidation or other chemical processes); stone;[1] a sheen on wooden furniture produced by age, wear, and polishing; or any such acquired change of a surface through age and exposure. Patinas can provide a protective layer to materials that would otherwise be damaged by corrosion or weathering. They may also be aesthetically appealing."
On their FAQ page, they suggest using a little mineral oil if you want to deepen the color on the bamboo. http://www.twigcase.com/pages/faq I'll be interested to see what happens with the white on my b/w case over time. It's fine as it is, but I think with a natural patina it might look very interesting.

HowEver

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
Toronto
I think I'll wait a while before I deepen the colour, see how it goes. .. Does deepen mean darker?

On their FAQ page, they suggest using a little mineral oil if you want to deepen the color on the bamboo. http://www.twigcase.com/pages/faq I'll be interested to see what happens with the white on my b/w case over time. It's fine as it is, but I think with a natural patina it might look very interesting.

tmgarvey

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2012
South Jersey
Patina on leather darkens it from age and exposure to oils. Deepen does mean darken. The impression I have (and maybe our friend from Twig can enlighten us) is that handling the bamboo case will darken it as a result of the oils in your skin. The application of mineral oil should have the same sort of effect, only sooner.

mysterydate

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2010
Waseca, MN
Patina on leather darkens it from age and exposure to oils. Deepen does mean darken. The impression I have (and maybe our friend from Twig can enlighten us) is that handling the bamboo case will darken it as a result of the oils in your skin. The application of mineral oil should have the same sort of effect, only sooner.

This post shows the difference.

Hand 'oil' naturally comes with dirt and skin, so bamboo cases all get a bit grey with use, though I've found a bit of mineral oil every now and again brightens it a bit.

The color cases are pretty special as there is nothing out there like them. Those get darkened quite a bit with use, and the resulting darker colors seems to have a depth to them like nothing else I've seen.

The new solid Green and Red cases look amazing after a bit, and the Blue darkens to a rich, dark navy. Those all look amazing on white iPhones. Same with Brown. Ah, hell - same with all of them :)

One day after all this Xmas madness, I'll do a before and after on all the colors.

HowEver

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
Toronto
Ordered another Vines case.

So should you all!

Awesome quality, protection and precision fit beyond compare.

The patina on my iPhone 5 bamboo case continues to impress and delight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.