Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
Agreed. I am hoping that they will keep 3 sizes with similar specs.

This iPhone 5c with iPhone 5 specs was silly in my book, and I couldn't understand why anyone would want last years tech in a cheaper shell.

In this case last years tech isn't all that bad... It's just as good as everyone else's flagship.

The truth is in my book I can't see how people find two tone aluminum and glass attractive. That's why I bought a 5c. I'm a guy that's had every single iphone released up until the 5s. I bought the 5 and returned it to stay on my 4s for this reason.

I've never understood why it baffles people as to why someone else would want something different.

Yes I got the 5 c only to hold me over until the 6 was released, but in the time I've had it I've noticed it's not a bad phone at all. It runs just like the iPhone 5, but IMHO it looks better

giggles

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
So when the iPhone 3 came out I complained about the screen size and got FLAMED repeatedly by the local Fanbois. "Steve said this was the right size, therefore, it is the right size so deal with it' is what I heard. The they got a bit taller, and the Fanbois jumped on the bandwagon because Apple said it was OK.
NOW, it looks like Apple is heading in Samsung's direction, size-wise. I can't wait to see if/when the devices are released how the Apple minions will praise Apple for such an incredible, wonderful, better and better, bigger and bigger, cool, cooler etc. product.
And the same hold true for the ipad size changes...especially the rumored 12 incher.

I wonder if Jobs is rolling in his unmarked grave or laughing int it.

You would be right if they only released the bigger model.
Apparently they will release both a small and big model. 4.5" isn't an actual inch bigger than the old 3.5" 3g because the aspet ratio changed meanwhile. A 4.5" in the old aspect ratio would have been too wide. The shift to 16/9 last year paved the way to bigger iphones.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
Let's hope these rumors are true It'll be right around the time I can jettison my Galaxy S4

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
God if they have the bigger model as the flagship I will be ****ing mad

Yes I agree that would be stupid. There is a huge core of Apple customers that would be the 4.8 inch customer and not a 5-6" phablet customer. I'm pretty sure that both models will have beefy specs since the 5C experiment wasn't that well received.

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
I don't think Apple will drop their current 5s size screen. I would imagine if this rumor is true about a 4.7 and a 5" plus iphone coming out...that apple would also keep the current size as well in the lineup. For as many people who want a larger screen, there are just as many who think the current size is perfect. I could see apple offer the current size along with one or two larger sizes. Discontinuing the 5c is a good idea tho. It's not even much cheaper. So I'm not surprised about that.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
What Apple should do is keep the 4" size and release a 4.3-4.5" to go along with it. A 5+" phone is ridiculous. They should also keep similar specs between the two devices like they did for the Mini Retina and iPad Air.

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
I think that the only people who thought the 5C wasn't a one year wonder were the people that actually bought one.....

The 5c will not get discontinued. You can remember this post come June or September or whatever. It's not that I don't think it's a "1 year wonder" I'm pretty certain it won't be.

Just because someone has different tastes from you doesn't make that person less. I could've have bought the 5s had I wanted it. I didn't want it because I don't like the form ... So what? Why does that matter to you?

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
I'm cool with this 2 larger phone approach but I hope they both have the same specs. I don't want the smaller phone having less goodies outside of battery life.

The C model going away is a surprise. I guess when Apple releases the earnings that will validate the C was not very successful apparently.

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
I'm cool with this 2 larger phone approach but I hope they both have the same specs. I don't want the smaller phone having less goodies outside of battery life.

The C model going away is a surprise. I guess when Apple releases the earnings that will validate the C was not very successful apparently.

No one knows the iphone 5c or c is going away. This is a report from an analyst. People read this crap and eat it up. When it gets closer that's when we will know the truth

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
"people familiar with the situation said"

Wow that's really reliable. :rolleyes:

Apple won't get rid of the 5C it will become their budget model.

Of course Apple never got rid of a model a year (sometimes less than a year) later. Never has Apple done anything like that.

Their budget experience didn't go too well because people realized that they are better off with an iPhone 5, so I wouldn't be suprised if they change course again and keep the 5s.

nexusrule

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2012
lol @ 5c buhahaha @ Apple for thinking it would be so "amazing", bigger LOL at those who bought it... now give me a 4.7" or bigger iPhone please..

Waiting for those to complain and ask me to make a better product than Apple...

Waiting for those to complain that anything over 4" is too big...

Waiting for those to complain about my post in general...

Waiting for you to grow up and tone down…

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
i'm guessing the screen resolution would be the same between this 2 phone, that's a given.
but the exact resolution is still a mystery.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
I wouldn't mind a 4.5"-5" iPhone with zero bezel to keep the case as small as possible. Move the camera to the side to shrink the top and bottom bezels while your at it.

Once I got my hands on an iPhone 5s and felt how thin it was compared to my old iPhone 4S, I felt that I could handle a bigger iPhone with one hand. But I think 5.5-inches is too big. I think I would rather have something in the 4.3-inch range, but I could deal with 4.5 inches.

The only reason I would buy a 5.5-inch phone is if Apple made the smaller version noticeably compromised compared to the larger version. The larger version would have to have something really compelling to get me deal with a gigantic smartphone every day.

I can easily see the folks who use cases on the iPhone not liking this increase in size though. With a Slim Armor case on my iPhone (which I use when on vacation or when doing outdoors stuff like hiking), I think the phone gets a bit big (even at 4-inch screen size).

The larger screen will be more manageable if they reduce bezels and make it thinner too. I am having mixed feelings about this larger screen size thing.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
lol @ 5c buhahaha @ Apple for thinking it would be so "amazing", bigger LOL at those who bought it... now give me a 4.7" or bigger iPhone please..

Waiting for those to complain and ask me to make a better product than Apple...

Waiting for those to complain that anything over 4" is too big...

Waiting for those to complain about my post in general...

You do realize that the 5c sold better than virtually every Android phone to ever exist, right? No, of course not, you're only comparing its sales to another iPhone.

giggles

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
i'm guessing the screen resolution would be the same between this 2 phone, that's a given.
but the exact resolution is still a mystery.

Apple won't cause a "black bars in apps situation" just 2 years after the last one.

That's acceptable every 5 to 7 years, no less.

So the resolution will be exactly the same or be quadrupled to retina (2272x1280, but that's more likely to happen in 2015 or 2016; EDIT: then again, nobody expected a 2048x1536 ipad in 2012, even from a technological standpoint, or at least I was completely shocked it was already feasible, so the same could happen this year with retina 4.6 and 5.5 iphones, and non retina 5C still on the market).

Last edited:

kupkakez

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Austin, TX
I would LOVE a bigger screen. Sure I will never be able to use it one handed or put it in my pockets but I carry a handbag for a reason! :cool:

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
I'd welcome a larger phone as I have long hands. My wife, however, is happy with the screen size of the iPhone 5.

I'd hate to see them offer the larger phone with better features than the smaller (i.e; iPhone 5s vs 5c). I'd prefer them to offer the same phone in different sizes so that you don't have to sacrifice power/features if you do not prefer the larger phone. Some people just cannot use that big of a phone comfortably. Maybe then keep the low end (currently 5c) as the cheaper option with previous hardware/feature specs.

iPhone 6 = 5"+
iPhone 6 = 4.8" or even current iPhone screen size
iPhone 6c = current iPhone screen size but previous hardware/feature specs and cheaper

IMO of course.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.