Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Not to mention you would need to attach/detach the lens, connect Bluetooth, and likely open an app if you want a viewfinder. That's a lot of steps compared to just flipping on a power button.

Aaand, you just lost the money-shot.....

You people don't get it, right? Well if you ever used RX100 you know that the pictures you get are way way better than anything that would ever come out of the smartphone. Ever, because matching them with a tiny phone camera requires beating the laws of physics.
This attachment is every blogger, social media addict or web junkie wet dream. Why? Because a smartphone allows you to edit and share your pictures instantly and much much better than any camera would ever do. Want filters? You can use snapseed, Instagram, photoshop whatever you want. You can have a high quality image posted to your blog in literally seconds. Your school just won state championship, boom, you have a nice contrasty low light photo on Facebook, you are at a fashion show and while everyone is sharing grainy silhouettes, you post nice high res pictures, etc, etc... It's a big, big deal. If you think your iPhone camera takes perfectly good pictures, its not for you, understood. People who care about connectivity and good photography should be excited.

While I agree that the pictures of these 'camera attachments' will more than likely be a big improvement over the phone's built-in camera, this is still a (very nicely designed) niche market product. Can't ever see this having mass appeal. Too bulky and cumbersome for the average cell-phone user. And with yearly, or even more frequent, phone model changes, a product prone to premature obsolescence.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
I just noticed that the diagram in the first link mentions a tripod mount. This combined with the wireless connectivity actually makes these camera modules seem a bit more useful.

I also just noticed that there is a "WiFi" logo stamped on the side. This is certainly a more plausible method of connecting a camera verses bluetooth.

Last edited:

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
I've had this idea before. Probably better that Sony brings it to market... Worth it for $300 IMO.

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010
When traveling I just take my simple Canon point and shoot and cellphone. each fit in my pockets and I hardly know they're there till I need them.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
With my iPhone or a P&S camera I can go from pocket to taking photos in a few seconds, which may make all the difference in getting a shot. With the Sony device, it remains to be seen how long it'll take to attach/link to the iPhone and be ready to shoot.

However, I like the concept of leveraging the iPhone to do things with digital images that you can't do with a P&S camera. I'd like someone to come out with a camera that's specifically made to send images to the iPhone for editing/sharing as soon as they're taken.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
As others had said....

an impressive engineering and design feat. And I have to confess, before Apple get dominance in techno I found significant to me, I was a sucker for Sony products: original Walkman, original Discman, early DVDs and VHS (you remember...?) you call it....

So it is nice to see something I can really use to enhace the capabilities of my iPhone....

:):apple:

teejaysplace

macrumors member
May 24, 2006
!

This is a great idea and probably a bit overdue. In fact, I'm surprised that Apple itself hasn't done more to tap into its photo-happy user base via hardware innovations. There's only so much you can do by increasing megapixels, adding LED flashes, and offering up editing software. Photo hounds probably make up a larger demographic than pro users or Apple TV buyers. Nokia is trying to address this with the Lumia 1020, but my bet is that it's going to be too much camera and not enough phone for most users. Sony's solution is, ostensibly, better, as it allows users to improve photo quality by bounds, all at their own discretion. Not to mention the fact that it's likely to run on your existing (and perhaps future) devices, keeping it relevant longer.

People commenting negatively have fallen into the increasingly familiar "I wouldn't use it that way, therefore no one will use it that way" brand of misguided technologic. Companies that innovate well understand that people use their devices in a multitude of ways. So while you may not want to carry a separate lens to the bar on a Friday night, a better mobile camera is a tourist's dream. You only have so much room to spare when you're walking through a theme park or hiking up the Alps and chances are that you're already going to be carrying your cellphone. Now you can ditch your standalone camera and just carry a lens (or not, depending on the trip and your aesthetic tastes.) But regardless of how you take them, your pictures will all end up in the same place — with iCloud backups — thus making an a big part of vacationing that much simpler.

I need to see the specs in greater detail, but at this point, I'm selling both my cameras and buying one of these.

coolspot18

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2010
Canada
For people that enjoy hiking and taking pictures in places where they cant carry a high end camera this would be a nice substitute.

Would you rather carry a bulky body of a DSLR or your phone and a lens?

Granted you will probably get a better picture with your DSLR, this will probably yield decent pictures.

You can take a mirror less camera or a pocket camera... both probably more practical than this contraption.

Plus I don't want to drain my phone battery while travelling ...

I think perhaps they should have started with a dSLR smartphone (iPhone) enabled body. But then again, Canon/Sony/etc probably don't want release too much of their camera smarts as an app which can be easily reverse engineered.

koruki

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2009
New Zealand
You people don't get it, right? Well if you ever used RX100 you know that the pictures you get are way way better than anything that would ever come out of the smartphone. Ever, because matching them with a tiny phone camera requires beating the laws of physics.
This attachment is every blogger, social media addict or web junkie wet dream. Why? Because a smartphone allows you to edit and share your pictures instantly and much much better than any camera would ever do. Want filters? You can use snapseed, Instagram, photoshop whatever you want. You can have a high quality image posted to your blog in literally seconds. Your school just won state championship, boom, you have a nice contrasty low light photo on Facebook, you are at a fashion show and while everyone is sharing grainy silhouettes, you post nice high res pictures, etc, etc... It's a big, big deal. If you think your iPhone camera takes perfectly good pictures, its not for you, understood. People who care about connectivity and good photography should be excited.

Although I like that the camera is attachable to any phone and not restricted to one phone, I also don't see how the bloggers and social media users can use the capability of this camera. We all know the photos are compressed to a point thats lower than a bad smartphone photo in order to load reasonably over the net. This is even more so now that we're on mobile where there is a focus on reducing image sizes.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
For those that forgot or were unaware of what innovation is, I submit the above.

This is precisely the type of brilliant innovation that Apple is capable of.

Being asleep at the wheel, distracted by their fierce focus on coasting & profit taking; they've been trumped by Sony.

Apple is indeed adrift in a sea of conflict, complacency and self importance.

PhotodudeCA

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2013
Although I like that the camera is attachable to any phone and not restricted to one phone, I also don't see how the bloggers and social media users can use the capability of this camera. We all know the photos are compressed to a point thats lower than a bad smartphone photo in order to load reasonably over the net. This is even more so now that we're on mobile where there is a focus on reducing image sizes.

You are kidding, right? Are you saying that you cannot distinguish between a cellphone photo and a photo taken by a good camera when they are reduced to a typical web size? There is plenty of people who find cell phone photo quality lacking, at any size. Just take a look at any photo blog and ask whether any of those photos could be taken with a cellphone. The difference is clear an immediate. Its the contrast, sharpness, and the background blur.

As I said, you are clearly not the target market for this device. There is plenty of people in the other camp.

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
I'll have to see how it looks in real life before I can form an opinion.

I like the concept, it's just there are a lot of really good cameras on the market now that are very thin.

danckwerts

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2008
Richmond upon Thames
Pointless

As many others have said, this is quite pointless. You're much better having a separate high-quality camera. I'm sorry to see Sony, who make good cameras, pick a loser like this.

koruki

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2009
New Zealand
You are kidding, right? Are you saying that you cannot distinguish between a cellphone photo and a photo taken by a good camera when they are reduced to a typical web size? There is plenty of people who find cell phone photo quality lacking, at any size. Just take a look at any photo blog and ask whether any of those photos could be taken with a cellphone. The difference is clear an immediate. Its the contrast, sharpness, and the background blur.

As I said, you are clearly not the target market for this device. There is plenty of people in the other camp.

No one uploads photos directly from their phone on the go to their full on blogs that you're referring to. A look at a photoblog? Ofcourse a photo blog is going to be packed with high end photos, how many of them were not post processed before they were uploaded? In terms of cameras, I have 4, a Leica M3, Leica M9P, Canon 5D MK2 and my iPhone. They each have their own purpose and I take the one that suits the occasion, but the iPhone is always there because its my phone and it fits in my pocket. So yes I can tell the different between a 'proper' camera and a phone.

My original point in case you missed it is that people who are on the go uploading to instagram and facebook WILL need to compress it before its uploaded. If you are uploading through their apps, you have no choice, the app compresses it anyway.

I am curious how well the bluetooth works with camera on live view. I've owned and sold the RX100 cause even though it was great and small it still wasnt small enough for me to always carry and I found myself using the iphone more. The RX1 is a great step for Sony though and I praise them for coming up with all these devices.

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
This is precisely the type of brilliant innovation that Apple is capable of.

Being asleep at the wheel, distracted by their fierce focus on coasting & profit taking; they've been trumped by Sony.

Apple is indeed adrift in a sea of conflict, complacency and self importance.

I'd say the two have switched places. Sony is now making the expensive niche products while Apple is selling expensive mass market products and focusing very much on margins.

ArtursBoy

macrumors member
May 7, 2008
AZ
Wow the optics of the RX100 II ?? Can't wait to get one of these. This is going to be so nice when traveling, I can't begin to count the number of times I wish I had a nicer camera with me at the moment. Don't like the quality of any of the slim digital cameras out there, for decent pictures you still need something bigger, and taking a full size camera on a hiking trip, to a concert, to the beach, etc, sometimes is not very convenient. I could just attach this thing to my phone and go.

Seems a lot of people are discarding this as pointless, but this is actually exactly what I had been waiting for.

weing

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2007
This is such a retarded product idea , I can't even think of anything witty to say about it.

flottenheimer

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2008
Up north
Could be interesting.
Depends on the price I guess.

And if anyone wonders — the RX100 is an amazing compact camera.
I absolutely love mine. It has single-handedly brought back my respect for Sony.

Surreal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2004
What's *actually* wrong with a 'niche idea'? The iPhone was a niche product in the beginning of its run. I don't think that every person will be interested in it but I think that there could be a decent market for it and–if it does what it sets out to do well–that should be nice.

Commy1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2013
Sounds legit, I like it. I certainly can't afford any kind of pro camera let alone the $xxx lens needed to do certain things.
Price it at like... 200-300$ and I'll say Shut Up and Take my Money!

ncaissie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
But it is, isn't it?
What on earth is the scenario in which a camera magnetically attached to your phone and controlled by an app is easier and better to use than a full camera 5mm thicker?
You still need to carry two things around, because you're not going to keep this on your phone all the time. So given that, just buy sony's thinnest camera (I believe they have one at around 10mm thin) and carry them both!

Does it have to be on your phone?
Can you place it somewhere like a spy camera and take pictures remotely?
As an RC guy this would be great on a plane or Heli.
Or for capturing an image of the bastard breaking into your trucks at night.

----------

No, it's not. You want the iPhone OS and apps, but you want the Sony optics and sensor. Married together, it's so much better that having them apart.

I have a ridiculously expensive nikon D800e+lenses, and I love the quality. But I hate the fact that I can't easily use the results with my smartphone in the field. I tried EYE-FI, that's NOT the solution.

The iphone SD card reader works perfectly with the ipad and iphone.
Pop the card from your camera and import what you want.

otismotive77

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2013
why are you guys so surprised about this thing, dont act like we havent seen anything like this before. and i'm sure this will be priced about $150, just like it's alternatives. it shape will also make it hard for it to use the phone's flash.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
For people that enjoy hiking and taking pictures in places where they cant carry a high end camera this would be a nice substitute.

Would you rather carry a bulky body of a DSLR or your phone and a lens?

Granted you will probably get a better picture with your DSLR, this will probably yield decent pictures.
That is absolutely when I would take the SLR, just like I will next week. A phone is ok for snapshots anytime. If I'm going out in the woods, I want a real lens.
So, to do what you say, all that really matters is the software link, not this bizarre attach-to-phone style of hardware. This camera is kinda silly, except for the software. Put that software into a real camera, big or small depending on what you want, and then it is worthwhile. (which they are already beginning to do, this isn't the first) The phone doesn't even have to come out of your pocket until you are ready to review or modify, just like when it hooks up to a car for handsfree, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.