Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Presonance

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2010
Just want to confirm that vapor pro style case has no adverse reaction to cellular signal !
It seems to be a bit thinner than the vapor pro version for the iPhone 4.
I love it.

Have fun...don't hate ;-)

Thanks for the note on the thinness, I was wondering about that.

Got any pictures?:)

swervinsuburban

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012
In my humble opinion Element isn't offering the Vapor Pro for the iPhone 5 because the antenna design on the phone is different and not what the case was designed for. To me the case looses it's appeal because the functional design is completely arbitrary on the iPhone 5. The Sector 5 design if anything improves the signal from what I have experienced and have been reading. For this reason I would not buy the fake Vapor pro 5 at any price and I've already bought a real Sector 5 at it's high price.

No, I'm not a shill.

The break in the aluminum makes it so theres no circuit between the two antennas, the design is the same the only difference is there are two glass panels on the back that amplify the design of the antenna. Being there wasn't a drastic change to the antenna design this case should work if it worked for the prior iphones.

machacker

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2008
I've been using the fake vapor pro for the iPhone 5 all day. It finally came in from Caseswill.

I have to say, this is the style of cases for me. It keeps it thin, but it adds a level of class that I don't think plastic cases quite can pull off. I'm incredibly happy with the purchase and have experienced NO ill side effects from it. The fit and finish is amazing. It looks legit. It even has element branding on the sides and came with a certificate of authenticity. Which I find amusing to no end. It also came with the zipper case that the Element cases come with. I was disappointed to find that it didn't come with a back plate, but I'll be finding a skin to put on the back myself anyways.

The case is awesome, I love the feel in my hand, and it makes the phone feel classier for having it on, rather than a detraction.

The reason I bought the caseswill version and not Element. I have no problem spending some big money on a case, that isn't the issue. But I really, really dislike the Sector 5 design. I just think it is ugly. But I always have loved the vapor pro design, and now that I have it on my phone I couldn't be happier. I hope that element actually makes a case that is similar to this legit. I would buy this from Element in a heartbeat. So I hope that element does come out with some new designs for the i5, after my experience with this knock off, I can say that I would buy again in a heartbeat.

archrider

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
The break in the aluminum makes it so theres no circuit between the two antennas, the design is the same the only difference is there are two glass panels on the back that amplify the design of the antenna. Being there wasn't a drastic change to the antenna design this case should work if it worked for the prior iphones.

How do you know the antenna design is the same? Did you ask Apple? It has a band top and bottom, but the middle is all one piece with the back.
I'm not saying you're wrong but I'm not sure you're right. It's just curious that the Sector 4 Had the links on the corners and one similar polymer section as the Pro, but the sector 5 has four polymer sections. Is it just aesthetics, because the sides are longer or because the antenna configuration is in some subtle way different. They could have made the Sector 4 and Sector 5 basically the same design. They came out around the same time. That's why I think the Sector 5 design was partially done for signal improvement.

damant

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2010
About the iPhone 5 antenna design:
Yes it's "the same" since it behaves similarly to the typical aluminum case/bumpers ...ie vapor 4 , vapor pro, deff cleave ....it's doesn't like all aluminum ... Hybrid is the answer remained.
No it's " not the same " since iPhone 5 doesn't like a carbon fiber back cover unlike the iPhone 4 !

Minhthien

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 20, 2011
order this on Oct 25 the very first day they released it but still haven't arrive in Canada yet!!

archrider

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
About the iPhone 5 antenna design:
Yes it's "the same" since it behaves similarly to the typical aluminum case/bumpers ...ie vapor 4 , vapor pro, deff cleave ....it's doesn't like all aluminum ... Hybrid is the answer remained.
No it's " not the same " since iPhone 5 doesn't like a carbon fiber back cover unlike the iPhone 4 !

So you're saying it's "the same" but "not the same"? OK

swervinsuburban

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012
So you're saying it's "the same" but "not the same"? OK

From what I've read it is pretty much the same, the glass on the back bottom and top are part of the antennas on the sides you can see the 4 notches like the original iphone 4/4s the reason it doesn't have the antenna gate problem is because the phone is longer so your hand doesn't bridge the antenna and cause a circuit between the two, the reason the carbon fiber plate doesn't work is because it links the two glass antennas because the sector 5 one was real carbon fiber and conducts electricity thus causing cross talk or interference causing signal problems

I believe Element didn't make a vapor pro for the iPhone 5 because they didn't want it to take sales away from the sector 5 even though r&d for a vapor pro for the iPhone 5 would be next to nothing and they could sell it for less

Last edited:

archrider

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
From what I've read it is pretty much the same, the glass on the back bottom and top are part of the antennas on the sides you can see the 4 notches like the original iphone 4/4s the reason it doesn't have the antenna gate problem is because the phone is longer so your hand doesn't bridge the antenna and cause a circuit between the two, the reason the carbon fiber plate doesn't work is because it links the two glass antennas because the sector 5 one was real carbon fiber and conducts electricity thus causing cross talk or interference causing signal problems

I believe Element didn't make a vapor pro for the iPhone 5 because they didn't want it to take sales away from the sector 5 even though r&d for a vapor pro for the iPhone 5 would be next to nothing and they could sell it for less

Is it possible the rail on the right side of the Pro which isn't interrupted could bridge the two antennas. The Sector 5 with four brakes could not possibly bridge the antennas. By the way the iPhone 4 had 3 brakes with one on the top. I know, I had one with the death grip problem.

You're probably right the Pro design seems to work fine. I'm just playing devil's advocate.

swervinsuburban

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012
Is it possible the rail on the right side of the Pro which isn't interrupted could bridge the two antennas. The Sector 5 with four brakes could not possibly bridge the antennas. By the way the iPhone 4 had 3 brakes with one on the top. I know, I had one with the death grip problem.

You're probably right the Pro design seems to work fine. I'm just playing devil's advocate.

Case just needs a break somewhere I don't think it matters how many I'm not %100 percent sure I don't have any equipment to test that but theoretically from a scientific standpoint when you break the case with something that doesn't conduct electricity it will not create a circuit to all the antennas, I think the sector 5 has 4 breaks so you can change out pieces later on down the road and doesn't have to do with interference

Presonance

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2010
I've been using the fake vapor pro for the iPhone 5 all day. It finally came in from Caseswill.

I have to say, this is the style of cases for me. It keeps it thin, but it adds a level of class that I don't think plastic cases quite can pull off. I'm incredibly happy with the purchase and have experienced NO ill side effects from it. The fit and finish is amazing. It looks legit. It even has element branding on the sides and came with a certificate of authenticity. Which I find amusing to no end. It also came with the zipper case that the Element cases come with. I was disappointed to find that it didn't come with a back plate, but I'll be finding a skin to put on the back myself anyways.

The case is awesome, I love the feel in my hand, and it makes the phone feel classier for having it on, rather than a detraction.

The reason I bought the caseswill version and not Element. I have no problem spending some big money on a case, that isn't the issue. But I really, really dislike the Sector 5 design. I just think it is ugly. But I always have loved the vapor pro design, and now that I have it on my phone I couldn't be happier. I hope that element actually makes a case that is similar to this legit. I would buy this from Element in a heartbeat. So I hope that element does come out with some new designs for the i5, after my experience with this knock off, I can say that I would buy again in a heartbeat.

Now I'm really interested in this.

I also dislike the Sector 5 design. It's almost reminiscent of the ugly skins that Android manufacturers put on their phones (see: http://fuglyandroid.tumblr.com/). Although quite not as bad. Still, it's too "industrial" and "robotic" looking for my taste. I have the Vapor Pro on my iPhone 4S and I think it's much classier.

Element is kind of stupid for not offering the Vapor Pro for the i5. It's not like they're making more money off of selling the Sector 5 - the retail prices of the two are the same. In fact they're probably making LESS money per unit of the Sector 5 since their margins are probably lower on a new product.

Last edited:

damant

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2010
Test pix

Here's my black on black.
With sgp glass.T and aluminum button.
Sticker boy for the back.
Note (last pic): the vapor pro for iPhone 4 is indeed significantly thicker than this one...at least 2mm thicker.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    558 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:

swervinsuburban

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012
Now I'm really interested in this.

I also dislike the Sector 5 design. It's almost reminiscent of the ugly skins that Android manufacturers put on their phones (see: http://fuglyandroid.tumblr.com/). Although quite not as bad. Still, it's too "industrial" and "robotic" looking for my taste. I have the Vapor Pro on my iPhone 4S and I think it's much classier.

Element is kind of stupid for not offering the Vapor Pro for the i5. It's not like they're making more money off of selling the Sector 5 - the retail prices of the two are the same. In fact they're probably making LESS money per unit of the Sector 5 since their margins are probably lower on a new product.

My guess would be they will release it once demand for the Sector 5 dies down, they said they have "no plans at the MOMENT" that sounds to me like their just pushing the sector for now and going to put out the vapor later and people are going to want both down the road.

damant

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2010
Pic 4
Vapor 4 is much thicker than vapor 5.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 109

Presonance

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2010
My guess would be they will release it once demand for the Sector 5 dies down, they said they have "no plans at the MOMENT" that sounds to me like their just pushing the sector for now and going to put out the vapor later and people are going to want both down the road.

While that might be possible, my point is that there's no point in waiting to release the Vapor Pro "once demand for the Sector 5 dies down." What would be the benefit of that?

----------

Pic 4

Thanks so much for your pictures. The thickness was something I was really concerned about.

swervinsuburban

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012
While that might be possible, my point is that there's no point in waiting to release the Vapor Pro "once demand for the Sector 5 dies down." What would be the benefit of that?

----------

Thanks so much for your pictures. The thickness was something I was really concerned about.

No idea, I just read that they repurposed the Vapor Pro iphone 4 box to put the Sector 5 in and also are using the same transit case and its hard to put in, at this point I dont feel bad for Element if their cutting all those corners and charging people 5 times as much, kinda sad really I dont feel bad that people are buying knockoffs anymore.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
mine arrived today, here are some pics

]

Pic 4

Is it scratching the phone at all? Especially concerned about the chamfered bezel/edge.

Also, I'm not seeing any pics of the suede backplate. Does it not include one? Someone mentioned they didn't receive it, but it is explicitly listed in the website description.

Mine has arrived in the next city, but it's thanksgiving tomorrow! DOH! If they were just one day earlier...

Last edited:

Iphone 2.2

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2010
Is it scratching the phone at all? Especially concerned about the chamfered bezel/edge.

Also, I'm not seeing any pics of the suede backplate. Does it not include one? Someone mentioned they didn't receive it, but it is explicitly listed in the website description.

Mine has arrived in the next city, but it's thanksgiving tomorrow! DOH! If they were just one day earlier...

No, it should of came with the phone as described in the description, but I didn't get one either.

MarcRRT

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
Round Rock
Just placed my order for the black vapor pro spectra case for iPhone 5 on caseswill.com. For those that have already received theirs how long did it take to receive? It said 14-20 days. Thanks.

swervinsuburban

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012
Just placed my order for the black vapor pro spectra case for iPhone 5 on caseswill.com. For those that have already received theirs how long did it take to receive? It said 14-20 days. Thanks.

I ordered mine on the 4th and still haven't gotten it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.