Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mkummer

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 10, 2022
Hello community - perhaps someone has a good idea: I use since a very long time a Drobo 5D (Thunderbolt) with the newest version of 12.5 and all runs quite perfect. Since the company is in case eleven, support is in fact not working at all. So, my sorrows concern the support of Ventura, since the Drobo has to install a kernel extension that should not be supported in Ventura anymore. W7o the extension I understand Drobo will not be mounted.

Has anybody experience here? Perhaps some beta testers use a Drobo with Ventura?

Thanks for any ideas or help.

Michael

stocklen

Suspended
Sep 25, 2013
I have a Drobo, and I have the same concerns.

But, ive just done some digging and Drobo has all but gone out of business....

There will be no more updates, no more software - and I fear, as you do, that when I upgrade to Ventura I will lose all my Drobo storage and contents.

I too would like to know if any Ventura users have had any luck with a Drobo...

... if not I will have to make sure I have found an alternative by September.

Reactions: rschama

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I have a Drobo, and I have the same concerns.

But, ive just done some digging and Drobo has all but gone out of business....

There will be no more updates, no more software - and I fear, as you do, that when I upgrade to Ventura I will lose all my Drobo storage and contents.

I too would like to know if any Ventura users have had any luck with a Drobo...

... if not I will have to make sure I have found an alternative by September.
Seeing the same... have started offloading all of data from the Drobo box (5N). It's a shame, as I had 20 TB with double-redundancy... gonna be hard to replace that beast.

stocklen

Suspended
Sep 25, 2013
5D3 user here. My drobo is still running fine, but like others I'm very concerned about the current situation and looking for an alternative.
Im using the PB of Ventura on a separate partition, and while Drobo Dashboard doesn't work, the 5D3 mounts without any problems.
Thats interesting.

I was assuming that the whole thing wouldn't work.....and i was intending to replace it before ventura was released.

Drobo Dashboard is pretty irrelevant to me as frankly I never use it... however its a significant risk running Drobo with no means to troubleshoot or make changes going forward.

mkummer

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 10, 2022
Did you try to install the kernel extension or is this no longer possible in Ventura???

Middleman-77

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2012
So Drobo has pushed out the following notice to users:

"Dear Valued Drobo Customer,

Thank you for entrusting Drobo with your critical data. We have found that the upcoming macOS Ventura update is currently incompatible with Drobo. We cannot guarantee compatibility with future OS updates. Therefore, if you are planning on upgrading your macOS we highly recommend backing up data that resides on your Drobo to mitigate any unknown impacts of incompatibility. Furthermore, the Drobo should be shut down prior to performing the OS update. Before any major computer update, have a backup plan in place. Experts agree having 3 copies of your data is optimal, 2 copies onsite on different media types and one off-site copy. For further reading please visit https://www.drobo.com/homeoffice/"

This is not good news I understand for those of us who have Drobos, but at this point there's not much we can do with the product.

I think as far as solutions go, other than maintaining a Monterey-only access device to the Drobo for future access, going on forward your best bet would be to migrate your important Drobo data to a different RAID/NAS/DAS setup. One of the alternatives I've been using alongside Drobo over the years has been RAID drives from Areca.

areca-raid.png

I have used Areca drives for well over a decade and they are a solid reputable brand - I've rarely experienced issues with their drives. Their latest range includes 4, 6, 8 & 12 bay Thunderbolt 3/USB 3.1 units which are both Mac and PC compatible. While the upgrade of the drives are not going to be like Drobo's easy pull-out-and-replace method, the drives do upgrade like any dedicated RAID system via an internal web-based interface. So long as the drives are the same make and model drive between them, the upgrade is fairly fuss-free. Aside from notifying users with an audible beep when a drive fails (to remind the user to replace the drive) Areca drives also have hotspare functionality in case that is also required.

stocklen

Suspended
Sep 25, 2013
So Drobo has pushed out the following notice to users:

Thank you for entrusting Drobo with your critical data. We have found that the upcoming macOS Ventura update is currently incompatible with Drobo. We cannot guarantee compatibility with future OS updates. Therefore, if you are planning on upgrading your macOS we highly recommend backing up data that resides on your Drobo to mitigate any unknown impacts of incompatibility. Furthermore, the Drobo should be shut down prior to performing the OS update. Before any major computer update, have a backup plan in place. Experts agree having 3 copies of your data is optimal, 2 copies onsite on different media types and one off-site copy. For further reading please visit https://www.drobo.com/homeoffice/"

This is not good news I understand for those of us who have Drobos, but at this point there's not much we can do with the product.

I think as far as solutions go, other than maintaining a Monterey-only access device to the Drobo for future access, going on forward your best bet would be to migrate your important Drobo data to a different RAID/NAS/DAS setup. One of the alternatives I've been using alongside Drobo over the years has been RAID drives from Areca.

View attachment 2048404

I have used Areca drives for well over a decade and they are a solid reputable brand - I've rarely experienced issues with their drives. Their latest range includes 4, 6, 8 & 12 bay Thunderbolt 3/USB 3.1 units which are both Mac and PC compatible. While the upgrade of the drives are not going to be like Drobo's easy pull-out-and-replace method, the drives do upgrade like any dedicated RAID system via an internal web-based interface. So long as the drives are the same make and model drive between them, the upgrade is fairly fuss-free. Aside from notifying users with an audible beep when a drive fails (to remind the user to replace the drive) Areca drives also have hotspare functionality in case that is also required.
Thanks for posting this.

interesting to get any kind of statement from Drobo at this stage given what's going on with them.

However, basically......... if you use a Mac and are intending to keep it up to date then you are sc*ewed.

Oh well, another one bites the dust. I lose track of tech products now that simply stop working even though theres technically nothing wrong with them.

macribas

macrumors member
May 22, 2008
Austin, TX
5D3 user here. My drobo is still running fine, but like others I'm very concerned about the current situation and looking for an alternative.
Im using the PB of Ventura on a separate partition, and while Drobo Dashboard doesn't work, the 5D3 mounts without any problems.
Let me see if I understood then... Drobo will mount but if one drive goes bad or you want to upgrade a drive, you're dead in the water?

c.oberschneider

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2022
Austria
Let me see if I understood then... Drobo will mount but if one drive goes bad or you want to upgrade a drive, you're dead in the water?
It's been a while since the last time I had to replace a drive, but I think there's no need to have access to the Drobo dashboard for this?

macribas

macrumors member
May 22, 2008
Austin, TX
It's been a while since the last time I had to replace a drive, but I think there's no need to have access to the Drobo dashboard for this?
The only way to find out the drive is bad is through the dashboard, isn't it? Or a flashing red light in your Drobo but it's usually out of my sight.

Middleman-77

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2012

No, you do need Drobo Dashboard for the upgrade and maintenance procedure.

Well there is a way around this. If you have an older version of macOS running (anything other than Ventura), you could effectively use it to manage your Drobo. That would be one way to resolve the issue until Drobo HQ finds a solution. If the Drobo still mounts without Drobo Dashboard on Ventura then that's probably the only way to do it. Either that or maybe maintain the data via a PC/Windows or migrate to a better drive such as an Areca or OWC solution.

One thing I discovered recently that may interest you is that Areca doesn’t just make these 4 to 8/12 bay drives. They also make larger 12 & 24 bay high performance rack mounted drives including dedicated high bandwidth TB3 RAID controllers which can effectively be used to edit, store and produce high-end 4K/8K video (for example). That means we also have a modern XServe RAID-like solution right there.

stocklen

Suspended
Sep 25, 2013
No, you do need Drobo Dashboard for the upgrade and maintenance procedure.

Well there is a way around this. If you have an older version of macOS running (anything other than Ventura), you could effectively use it to manage your Drobo. That would be one way to resolve the issue until Drobo HQ finds a solution. If the Drobo still mounts without Drobo Dashboard on Ventura then that's probably the only way to do it. Either that or maybe maintain the data via a PC/Windows or migrate to a better drive such as an Areca or OWC solution.

One thing I discovered recently that may interest you is that Areca doesn’t just make these 4 to 8/12 bay drives. They also make larger 12 & 24 bay high performance rack mounted drives including dedicated high bandwidth TB3 RAID controllers which can effectively be used to edit, store and produce high-end 4K/8K video (for example). That means we also have a modern XServe RAID-like solution right there.
But im confused...
Is there such a thing as 'DROBO HQ' any more? I thought they had gone bust but someone seems to be officially responding to customers which is confusing.

I would say for sure that they are not going to 'find a solution' going forward - especially given the wording of their advice it didnt exactly seem like we should hold on for them to fix it... more like its the end of the line

Middleman-77

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2012
Just thought to share another solution I'd found. This is the QNAP TS-464T4, 4-bay Thunderbolt 4 drive
(world's first TB4 NAS) that released early this year.

I know that because of online security issues people are staying away from QNAP, but I think if you are using this as a direct attached storage like Drobo with say a Mac Mini MBP or Mac Studio, it shouldn't be a problem. It can easily store up to 60TB using RAID 5 so this should last a long time.

Middleman-77

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2012
But im confused...
Is there such a thing as 'DROBO HQ' any more? I thought they had gone bust but someone seems to be officially responding to customers which is confusing.

I would say for sure that they are not going to 'find a solution' going forward - especially given the wording of their advice it didnt exactly seem like we should hold on for them to fix it... more like its the end of the line
Yes Drobo has gone into Chapter 11 but it doesn’t mean they are completely down, it’s means they are rejigging their finances and just running with a skeleton crew. They have mentioned that product support is still available.

MacGuy955

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2022
I have been Drobo user/owner for over 10 years and just got this email from their support today. I am not trusting they will be around or support Mac users going forward after reading this. Time to bite the bullet and swap to a new NAS before my Drobo is a brick:

Thank you for entrusting Drobo with your critical data. We have found that the upcoming macOS Ventura update is currently incompatible with Drobo. We cannot guarantee compatibility with future OS updates. Therefore, if you are planning on upgrading your macOS we highly recommend backing up data that resides on your Drobo to mitigate any unknown impacts of incompatibility. Furthermore, the Drobo should be shut down prior to performing the OS update."

Link to Drobo Support Article on this.

Middleman-77

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2012
I have been Drobo user/owner for over 10 years and just got this email from their support today. I am not trusting they will be around or support Mac users going forward after reading this. Time to bite the bullet and swap to a new NAS before my Drobo is a brick:

Thank you for entrusting Drobo with your critical data. We have found that the upcoming macOS Ventura update is currently incompatible with Drobo. We cannot guarantee compatibility with future OS updates. Therefore, if you are planning on upgrading your macOS we highly recommend backing up data that resides on your Drobo to mitigate any unknown impacts of incompatibility. Furthermore, the Drobo should be shut down prior to performing the OS update."

Link to Drobo Support Article on this.
Um, did you not read my post on the thread here? This was already mentioned. > https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ventura-and-drobo.2350882/?post=31374044#post-31374044

Middleman-77

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2012
So it seems I have made a new discovery regarding the use of the Drobo drivers under Monterey 12.5 (and possibly Ventura) if you have problems booting the Drobo. Aside from having to install the latest Drobo Dashboard, as well as enable the DDService64d file access under Security >Full Disk Access you also have to do two other things. The first is to confirm and enable/allow Drobo as a trusted developer under Security & Privacy > App Store and Identified Developers. And secondly (for Mac Studio users in particular) you need to boot to the Recovery menu on the Mac Studio (by holding down the Power button at bootup until the Option menu appears on screen), and under there go to Options, boot into Recovery Mode then go to Utilities > Startup Security Utility. From there you need to select 'Reduced Security' and 'Allow User Management of Kernel Extensions from Identified Developers'.

Screen Shot 2021-02-25 at 2.17.15 PM.png

Reactions: Dan Dugan

noahcoad

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2012
Dallas, TX
How would this affect Drobo 5N? Doesn't it use it's own internal system for writing files and acts as any other network share to macOS?

Middleman-77

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2012
How would this affect Drobo 5N? Doesn't it use it's own internal system for writing files and acts as any other network share to macOS?
Yes it does. But when it comes to administering the 5N, if you're running on latest Ventura or even Monterey there's a high chance the Drobo Dashboard driver won't work because of the new kext policies set by Apple. That's the warning that Drobo themselves gave out recently.

As I have said here earlier, check your permissions settings in these 3 places:

Security & Privacy > Privacy > Full Disk Access > DDService64d (enabled)
Security & Privacy > General > Allow App Store and Identified Developers > Drobo Incorporated (enabled)
Options menu > Recovery > Utilities > Startup Security Utility > Reduced Security (enabled) & Allow user management of kernel extensions from identified developers (enabled)

Reactions: c.oberschneider

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
as As far as I know soft raid takes at 4-8 weeks after a new Mac OS comes out! That's why went with traditional smart NAS box (your choice) because now you can run DNS and even Domain Server apps too! I say go with smart NAS instead and use the xtra money to buy Domain Server software for Smart NAS!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.