Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Middleman-77

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2012
is as far as my Monterey 12.5.1 goes. There doesn't appear to be any option to specify "Drobo Incorporated"

Am I missing something?

Tom
If hasn't appeared yet, it is either a) it has already been done or b) you need try the 3rd set of settings. It may pop up after the drive has been set to Reduced Security under Recovery Mode.

macribas

macrumors member
May 22, 2008
Austin, TX
Just thought to share another solution I'd found. This is the QNAP TS-464T4, 4-bay Thunderbolt 4 drive
(world's first TB4 NAS) that released early this year.

I know that because of online security issues people are staying away from QNAP, but I think if you are using this as a direct attached storage like Drobo with say a Mac Mini MBP or Mac Studio, it shouldn't be a problem. It can easily store up to 60TB using RAID 5 so this should last a long time.
I'm confused, why would a NAS need Thunderbolt 4? Or why would a Thunderbolt-attached storage need networking? Are the two connections used in parallel? Or one vs the other?

Middleman-77

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2012
I'm confused, why would a NAS need Thunderbolt 4? Or why would a Thunderbolt-attached storage need networking? Are the two connections used in parallel? Or one vs the other?
It's really for convenience. Not all drives ever can have RAID and Thunderbolt combined and this is just a very clever way to approach the issue of having access to data faster, especially if say you are someone who needs to access amounts of large files quickly like a video editor, musician or photographer.

Reactions: macribas

hagan

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2013
I just installed Ventura Public beta and My Drobo 5D works fine. Even Drobo Dashboard is working. My all-knowing Mac friend says its because the kext was installed in a previous OS version and gets "white-listed".

Middleman-77

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2012
I just installed Ventura Public beta and My Drobo 5D works fine. Even Drobo Dashboard is working. My all-knowing Mac friend says its because the kext was installed in a previous OS version and gets "white-listed".
I know what you're saying here but it doesn't make a difference. Drobo themselves have already said there will be issues going ahead with Ventura because they are unable to create a (stable) working driver (they issued the statements themselves recently). Sure white-listing I know also works for Nvidia GTX drivers on say Mojave, but it can only go so far. When the underlying required system files are not there you will run into problems eventually.

Rosember

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2022
Hello to the forum! This is my first post.
Has anybody noticed crashes (kernel panics) of their Mac in sleep mode on macos12.6? This is new to my MacBook Pro on 12.6 and did not happen on 12.5.1

Last edited:

pwitzkoske

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2022
Does anyone know if it's possible to run Drobo Dashboard in an older macOS version in a Virtual Machine using Parallels? That way if I need to make any configuration changes to the Drobo after upgrading to Ventura I could just launch a Catalina VM or whatever in Parallels and make the changes with Drobio Dashboard installed there.

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Does anyone know if it's possible to run Drobo Dashboard in an older macOS version in a Virtual Machine using Parallels? That way if I need to make any configuration changes to the Drobo after upgrading to Ventura I could just launch a Catalina VM or whatever in Parallels and make the changes with Drobio Dashboard installed there.
I have not tried that, but I might try it in a Mac OS VM once I switch to Ventura later.

However, I do have a 2013 MacBook Air that I can still use to run Drobo Dashboard for my 5N with 5x 8TB drives, as well as a gaming PC running Drobo Dashboard; So my Primary MacBook Pro isn't my only machine that I use to access the Drobo settings.

I'm not sure how a direct attached Drobo would behave if using Dashboard on another machine (or VM) though, like I would be with my 5N.

Last edited:

c.oberschneider

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2022
Austria
Good idea! I'll just create a small partition with Monterey installed on it for this purpose.

mkummer

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 10, 2022
Ventura is coming closer - RC available. Any news on Drobo compatibility?

diligiant

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2016
Ventura is coming closer - RC available. Any news on Drobo compatibility?
Couldn't risk it so I installed the Dashboard on a MBP M1 with Ventura GM. I had to weaken the startup security but then everything worked fine (plugged in a 5D3).

Hopefully, Drobo will release soon their compatibility testing results.

mkummer

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 10, 2022
That sounds interestingly not to say encouraging. What exactly did you do for weakening the startup security? (Still it might be to wait for some days for getting some news from the Drobo guys...)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I abandoned my Drobo quite some time ago, mostly because they abandoned the model I had. I bought (used I think) the Drobo mini and it was a good idea, at least for a little while but because its using laptop hard drives the writing was on the wall for its longevity.

I started having OS compatibility issues long before Ventura or Monterey and I couldn't trust my data on it any longer

diligiant

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2016
I abandoned my Drobo quite some time ago, mostly because they abandoned the model I had. I bought (used I think) the Drobo mini and it was a good idea, at least for a little while but because its using laptop hard drives the writing was on the wall for its longevity.

I started having OS compatibility issues long before Ventura or Monterey and I couldn't trust my data on it any longer
Experiences vary: I have 5 of them and except an horrible problem on a 8D (saved by DiskWarrior kindly provided by Drobo Tech Support). I'm migrating to a custom 48 disks unix machine but I'll miss the friendliness of all this. I would still recommend them for normal people if one could still buy them. There isn't really competition, sadly.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
There isn't really competition, sadly.
No question, the DAS market is an Anachronism in 2022. With large USB-C/TB disk drives available, inexpensive cloud storage or the use of home NAS units, was simply too much for DAS. They were the ones to draw the short straw.

pwitzkoske

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2022
I can happily report that my Drobo 5N2 and Drobo Dashboard are happy working on my primary Mac that I upgraded to Ventura. I really didn’t do anything special like shut it down or disconnect it or any other external drives. I just opened up System Preferences and Software Update and let ‘er rip!
As a precaution, I did install Drobo Dashboard on an older MacBook Pro running Monterey and made sure that everything was working fine there as Administrator as well just in case.
So far I have noticed absolutely no difference in my Drobo’s performance or functionality in the last few day since the macOS upgrade. I use my Drobo for Time Machine backups of three different Macs as well as storage of media for a huge Plex Library.

mkummer

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 10, 2022
That is very encouraging and interesting. Did you get an information box after first start of Ventura about the Drobo Kext not anymore supported in Ventura?

Please keep us informed about your further experiences with Ventura and Drobo.

pwitzkoske

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2022
That is very encouraging and interesting. Did you get an information box after first start of Ventura about the Drobo Kext not anymore supported in Ventura?

Please keep us informed about your further experiences with Ventura and Drobo.
I do not specifically recall a pop-up dialog about Venture support for the Drobo kext after the reboot. But everything went by so quickly that it's possible that I missed it or ignored it. I probably should have bee paying more attention. But the Drobo is still working just fine. There have been multiple Time Machine backups made and I have added a ton of new content to my Plex library and successful streaming tests (local network) of each new movie added.

mkummer

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 10, 2022
I do not specifically recall a pop-up dialog about Venture support for the Drobo kext after the reboot. But everything went by so quickly that it's possible that I missed it or ignored it. I probably should have bee paying more attention. But the Drobo is still working just fine. There have been multiple Time Machine backups made and I have added a ton of new content to my Plex library and successful streaming tests (local network) of each new movie added.
Good news again! One last thing I would like to know: is your primary Mac a M1 machine? I am using a Mac Studio and don’t have a second Mac - that is why I am very cautious and appreciate your experiences very much.

Reactions: pwitzkoske

rjtiedeman

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2010
Stamford, CT
How would this affect Drobo 5N? Doesn't it use it's own internal system for writing files and acts as any other network share to macOS?
I agree Your Ventura mac will see the network attached Drobo it just won't be able to do any disk management. We will all need to set up an older Mac computer as a Drobo server until the Drobo team catches up. As it is now we can connect with lots of different servers remotely. My company has had 3 running for years and they have been good. Also only my work station has the Drobo Dashboard and Drobo Kext. The others just see it as a network drive. Not sure what will happen to direct connect devices!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.