Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dan Dugan

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2024
is as far as my Monterey 12.5.1 goes. There doesn't appear to be any option to specify "Drobo Incorporated"

Am I missing something?

Tom
I was able to get the system to approve Drobo Dashboard by re-installing Drobo Dashboard from a dmg file. During the installation there was an option to approve the developer.
-Dan

Reactions: Junebuggie3

whitedb

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2017
Help needed installing Drobo on Sonoma

I have a Mac Studio running Monterey. I installed the Drobo Dashboard 3.6.1 and got everything running ok. I use the Drobo 5D3 to store Plex media (and have a backup!). Before upgrading to Sonoma, I wanted to do a test to see if I could still get it to work but I have run into a brick wall that I think is associated with the Kernel extension not being installed. The steps I followed are as below.

1. Installed a fresh version of Sonoma on an external SSD that I wiped before the install.
2. Booted from Sonoma and went into recovery mode and reduced the security to allow user management of kernel extensions from known developers
3. Fired up the Drobo installer - Allowed Rosetta to be installed and then fired it up again.
4. Did the install but at no time was I asked to install a kernel extension. Install completed
5. Restarted as instructed
6. Opened Drobo dashboard and it asked me to give it full disk access for DDService64d which I did

I then connected the Drobo to the Mac Studio. It showed up on the desktop as an orange generic USB icon. When I clicked on the icon to bring up a finder window no disc contents were visible. I then fired up the Drobo dashboard and it could not find a Drobo. If I connect by thunderbolt I do not see the drive on the desktop but it is visible if I look under system report

For me it all points to a missing Kext. I tried uninstalling the Drobo Dashboard and re-installing it but I still did not get asked about installing a Kext.

Does anybody have any idea of the name of the Kext - could I copy it over to the Sonoma install?
How can I force the installer to install the KEXT?
Would doing a migration from my Monterey disc bring the Kext over?

Any suggestions are appreciated?

Thanks!
(I know I have to replace the Drobo but have still to find the right device. I use a Synology NAS and understand what it can do (hybrid raid etc) but the network connection means much slower file transfers. An OWC enclosure is faster but it is a fixed raid with no flexibility)

retrocool

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2004

I have a Mac Studio running Monterey. I installed the Drobo Dashboard 3.6.1 and got everything running ok. I use the Drobo 5D3 to store Plex media (and have a backup!). Before upgrading to Sonoma, I wanted to do a test to see if I could still get it to work but I have run into a brick wall that I think is associated with the Kernel extension not being installed. The steps I followed are as below.

1. Installed a fresh version of Sonoma on an external SSD that I wiped before the install.
2. Booted from Sonoma and went into recovery mode and reduced the security to allow user management of kernel extensions from known developers
3. Fired up the Drobo installer - Allowed Rosetta to be installed and then fired it up again.
4. Did the install but at no time was I asked to install a kernel extension. Install completed
6. Opened Drobo dashboard and it asked me to give it full disk access for DDService64d which I did

I then connected the Drobo to the Mac Studio. It showed up on the desktop as an orange generic USB icon. When I clicked on the icon to bring up a finder window no disc contents were visible. I then fired up the Drobo dashboard and it could not find a Drobo. If I connect by thunderbolt I do not see the drive on the desktop but it is visible if I look under system report

For me it all points to a missing Kext. I tried uninstalling the Drobo Dashboard and re-installing it but I still did not get asked about installing a Kext.

Does anybody have any idea of the name of the Kext - could I copy it over to the Sonoma install?

Thanks!
(I know I have to replace the Drobo but have still to find the right device. I use a Synology NAS and understand what it can do (hybrid raid etc) but the network connection means much slower file transfers. An OWC enclosure is faster but it is a fixed raid with no flexibility)
Searching my Mac Studio's SSD, I have both
/Library/Extensions/DroboTBT.kext
and
/Library/StagedExtensions/Library/Extensions/DroboTBT.kext
Both are listed as version 1.4, created 22nd Feb 2021, I'm on Sonoma and Drobo dashboard works normally for me.
(In other words they appear to be the same file in two locations)
HTH

whitedb

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2017
@retrocool, thanks for that. I looked in my old Montery install and found them as listed with the same dates. I then went to the new Sonoma install and they are also present which really puzzles me. If you go to system settings>privacy & Security>Others>Extensions do you see anything from Drobo listed? I have Actions, Photos editing, Sharing and Finder.

Do you recall when you did the original dashboard install if you were asked to install extensions?

Thanks!

retrocool

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2004
If you go to system settings>privacy & Security>Others>Extensions do you see anything from Drobo listed?

No, nothing from Drobo there.
Under settings>privacy & Security i've got
DDService64d in "Full Disk Access" and "Files and Folders"
Drobo Dashboard under "Files and Folders">Removable Volumes

I do remember having to restart in some weird mode to reduce security levels to get it all to run, but that was some time ago, and it is possible I did that to use macFUSE rather than Drobo.

pixxelpusher

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2011

Thanks!

I had issues with my Drobo 5D and Sonoma too. Here's my steps to get it working:

1 - Make sure Drobo is turned off and not connected to Mac.

2 - Restart Mac into Recovery startup and set it to reduced security and allow user management of extensions for any developer:

https://support.apple.com/en-au/guide/mac-help/mchl768f7291/mac

3 - Restart back to normal MacOS and reinstall Drobo Dashboard 3.6.1. That should trigger the extension to install and will say you need authorize it in System Settings / Privacy & Security. In there you'll also need to check that under Security it's set to "Allow applications downloaded from App Store and identified developers".

4 - It's also worth checking in Privacy & Security that under Full Disk Access "DDService64d" is listed and turned on.

5 - Launch Drobo Dashboard (may notify things have been added to the OS, just accept anything it mentions).

6 - Now plug in the Drobo and turn it on. It should show up in Drobo Dashboard.

If Drobo still doesn't show up, I'd restart the Mac and try plugging the Drobo in again as it may need to load the newly installed extension on restart.

Also note, I'm connecting mine through USB 3.0 with a USB-C adapter, I have read some people having problems with Thunderbolt.

Also note, I also initially tried to get it working with an external install of Sonoma, but couldn't. The Drobo extension always got blocked, so I gave up as I think MacOS will just keep blocking it in an external OS install for safety reasons. But as soon as I did the internal install of Sonoma it all worked.

So I can say the problem you're having is because you're trying to do it to an external drive and MacOS won't allow that. You just need to run Sonoma internally and it will work.

Last edited:

whitedb

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2017
@pixxelpusher, thanks for the detailed instructions. I think you are right that it is the external drive that is giving me problems. I wiped the external drive, installed Monterey and went through the full process to install the Drobo dashboard etc. Even though it does work on my main internal Monterey drive, it did not on the external one. The only difference with my attempt with Sonoma was that the Drobo was visible on the desktop as an external drive and I could see all the files. Under Sonoma I could see the Drobo on the desktop but when I opened up the drive no files were visible.

I have bitten the bullet and bought an OWC Thunderbay enclosure to replace the Drobo and will now start the long process of setting it up, cleaning up my files, copying them off the Drobo, moving the discs over and copying my files back.

pixxelpusher

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2011
@pixxelpusher, thanks for the detailed instructions. I think you are right that it is the external drive that is giving me problems. I wiped the external drive, installed Monterey and went through the full process to install the Drobo dashboard etc. Even though it does work on my main internal Monterey drive, it did not on the external one. The only difference with my attempt with Sonoma was that the Drobo was visible on the desktop as an external drive and I could see all the files. Under Sonoma I could see the Drobo on the desktop but when I opened up the drive no files were visible.

I have bitten the bullet and bought an OWC Thunderbay enclosure to replace the Drobo and will now start the long process of setting it up, cleaning up my files, copying them off the Drobo, moving the discs over and copying my files back.

If your plan was to update, why not just update your Mac internal drive to Sonoma as it works fine with Drobo? Why base your decision on an external install, as Apple is now making it hard for those to work with extensions. There's no real reason to buy a whole new setup.

Junebuggie3

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2024
If your plan was to update, why not just update your Mac internal drive to Sonoma as it works fine with Drobo? Why base your decision on an external install, as Apple is now making it hard for those to work with extensions. There's no real reason to buy a whole new setup.

I understand that part of the Mac's shutdown procedure involves ejecting any connected hard drives etc. so it is not necessary to manually eject them. My DROBO Dashboard stopped working - and does not recognize the DROBO that is mounted. IT SAYS: A required portion of Drobo Dashboard is no longer running. Please relaunch Drobo Dashboard to correct the issue. If this problems persists, then re-install Drobo Dashboard. Where do I get a new dmg. I was running Drobo Dashboard 3.6.1. now I no longer have the feature of dismounting DROBO. What do I do? I am in the process of copying everything to another Device. Very Long Process due to my Obsessive tendencies. I don't want to loose 4 years of work since I am a photographer. The other message says that the Drobo is missing some piece
It is running fine on macOS 12.6.1 Ventura. I have not even wanted to upgrade to an even later version of Ventura, since everything is working now with DROBO, but how do I eject.

I do not know how to eject DROBO and I do not know if that works the same way that other NON Raid External Drives work.

Sure, I have been ejecting all the other external HD's, but now have a problem with an OWC Mercury Raid External HD, as sometimes it gets hung up and it will not eject, so I have to RE-START the computer until I can eject the OWC Mercury RAID Ext. HD. However, I never eject DROBO. I need to shut the computer down and I am afraid to do that. I heard that if you allow the Mac to run its full course of 60 seconds during shutdown by not pressing the "Shut Down" button in the window, that helps with dismounting other drives, but DROBO??????

Junebuggie3

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2024
Where did you find a DROBO Dashboard DMG file?
I understand that part of the Mac's shutdown procedure involves ejecting any connected hard drives etc. so it is not necessary to manually eject them. My DROBO Dashboard stopped working - and does not recognize the DROBO that is mounted. IT SAYS: A required portion of Drobo Dashboard is no longer running. Please relaunch Drobo Dashboard to correct the issue. If this problems persists, then re-install Drobo Dashboard. Where do I get a new dmg. I was running Drobo Dashboard 3.6.1. now I no longer have the feature of dismounting DROBO. What do I do? I am in the process of copying everything to another Device. Very Long Process due to my Obsessive tendencies. I don't want to loose 4 years of work since I am a photographer. The other message says that the Drobo is missing some piece

It is running fine on macOS 12.6.1 Ventura. I have not even wanted to upgrade to an even later version of Ventura, since everything is working now with DROBO, but how do I eject.

I do not know how to eject DROBO and I do not know if that works the same way that other NON Raid External Drives work.

Sure, I have been ejecting all the other external HD's, but now have a problem with an OWC Mercury Raid External HD, as sometimes it gets hung up and it will not eject, so I have to RE-START the computer until I can eject the OWC Mercury RAID Ext. HD. However, I never eject DROBO. I need to shut the computer down and I am afraid to do that. I heard that if you allow the Mac to run its full course of 60 seconds during shutdown by not pressing the "Shut Down" button in the window, that helps with dismounting other drives, but DROBO??????

Junebuggie3

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2024
I have upgraded from an Intel MacBook Pro to a refurbished M2 MacBook Air. My Drobo 5D3 wouldn't mount but having following the instructions re reduced security etc it works fine. However, as Drobo is now defunct will be looking at alternative NAS systems.

Junebuggie3

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2024
I used the Drobo installer on a M1 Sonoma, changed the security settings, rebooted with one connected drobo (a 5D3) and "M I R A C L E", it's there. Apple doesn't pay much attention to MacOS legacy drivers (except for the warning which has been there for years) so one more year (I have 6 Drobos so I'm not in a hurry to switch).

Sure, I have been ejecting all the other external HD's, but now have even have a problem with an OWC Mercury Raid External HD, as sometimes it gets hung up and it will not eject, so I have to RE-START the computer until I can eject the OWC Mercury RAID Ext. HD. However, I never eject DROBO. I need to shut the computer down and I am afraid to do that. I heard that if you allow the Mac to run its full course of 60 seconds during shutdown by not pressing the "Shut Down" button in the window, that helps with dismounting other drives, but DROBO?????? is it safe to do that with DROBE when the dashboard no longer exists? I am on an iMac M1 8 (4 performance and 4 efficiency) Core 16GB/2TB, running only OS 12.6.1. I am coping all 30.14 TB on DROBO's disk (there is/was 40.23 TB available on DROBO, but I am afraid to save anything more there, since I am trying to unload everything from the DROBO 5d3) over to the 36TB Mercury Elite Pro Quad from OWC - and I am almost there = I only have 2.75 TB available, but I still keep finding thing that failed to transfer, so I am double checking before I upgrade the MacOS. I was told it could not to go past Ventura, so I do not even have the lasted Ventura, just 12.6.1. I am not doing anything different while doing these transfers. Taken months. So is Re-starting the computer the same as Shutting down, and then turning it on? I don't want to shut down without ejecting the DROBO. How do I handle that. Do you have a Dashboard DMG file. I was Drobo Dashboard v. 3.6.2. Dashboard is no longer operational and I do not know how to eject DROBO safely

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.