Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tonmischa

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2007
The sun is going down in Drobo country, but at least for now everything seems to work fine:

Brandnew Mac Studio M2 Max came with Ventura 13.5 / is now on 13.5.1. Set to "Reduced Security".
Installed Drobo Dashboard 3.6.1 without any problems.
Used Drobo 5D3 enclosure without any problems.

Middleman-77

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2012
Just found out this week one of the drives in my Drobo 5C at home (which totals 21TB) has a failed 6TB WD drive. No worries. Thanks to the BeyondRAID™ setup it's been dealt with and easily replaced.

Reactions: Absrnd

newbeltane

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2023
The sun is going down in Drobo country, but at least for now everything seems to work fine:

Brandnew Mac Studio M2 Max came with Ventura 13.5 / is now on 13.5.1. Set to "Reduced Security".
Installed Drobo Dashboard 3.6.1 without any problems.
Used Drobo 5D3 enclosure without any problems.
I have upgraded from an Intel MacBook Pro to a refurbished M2 MacBook Air. My Drobo 5D3 wouldn't mount but having following the instructions re reduced security etc it works fine. However, as Drobo is now defunct will be looking at alternative NAS systems.

GlynZap

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2020
So has anyone installed the Final (intel) Sonoma and tested there Drobo driver on it?

diligiant

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2016
So has anyone installed the Final (intel) Sonoma and tested there Drobo driver on it?
I used the Drobo installer on a M1 Sonoma, changed the security settings, rebooted with one connected drobo (a 5D3) and "M I R A C L E", it's there. Apple doesn't pay much attention to MacOS legacy drivers (except for the warning which has been there for years) so one more year (I have 6 Drobos so I'm not in a hurry to switch).

hatzalam

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2019
Bay Area, California
Yes it does. But when it comes to administering the 5N, if you're running on latest Ventura or even Monterey there's a high chance the Drobo Dashboard driver won't work because of the new kext policies set by Apple. That's the warning that Drobo themselves gave out recently.

As I have said here earlier, check your permissions settings in these 3 places:

Security & Privacy > Privacy > Full Disk Access > DDService64d (enabled)
Security & Privacy > General > Allow App Store and Identified Developers > Drobo Incorporated (enabled)
Options menu > Recovery > Utilities > Startup Security Utility > Reduced Security (enabled) & Allow user management of kernel extensions from identified developers (enabled)
I just tried this using Sonoma, and SIP needs to be fully disabled to install the Drobo kernel extension for it to properly use Drobo Dashboard etc. I don't know about you, but I really don't like the idea of having Drobo install its kext on my system volume, especially since even booting my Drobo up makes my Mac Studio more or less freeze up without using the system kernel extension. All drives are pretty new, but this was the first time I actually powered it on with my new Mac. All previous times were on my M1 MacBook Air (and previously, my 11-inch MacBook Air from 2011). I might need to just use my 11-inch MBA to try and clone the data off my Drobo (2nd Gen 4-Bay) before finally recycling the damn thing.

diligiant

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2016
SIP needs to be fully disabled to install the Drobo kernel extension for it to properly use Drobo Dashboard etc.
No, it doesn't. As MiddleMan-77 explained "Allow user management of kernel extensions from identified developers". That's the case now if you want to use any software which has extensions (Audio Hijack comes to mind). That's not more dangerous than years ago, quite the contrary.

I really don't like the idea of having Drobo install its kext on my system volume
For what reason? This is just a scsi driver, quite harmless.

The situation is "orange" because the company went under but not because of their software (and my past problems being the cause of the last 3 bug fixes in the 5D/8D drivers, I know when it hurts ;)

Apple being lazy regarding kernel extensions makes moving to a future-savvy solution less pressing (if you have backup hardware of course.)

Reactions: tonmischa

tonmischa

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2007
+1

I have several drivers that require that "reduced security" setting. It is a normal procedure.
(I use a lot of audio software, so these are drivers for Avid ProTools and RME audio interfaces.)

Reactions: diligiant

Absrnd

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Flatland
So, if I applied the "Reduced security" patch In Ventura, I can upgrade to Sonoma without problems, or do I have to re-apply the patch ?

Never mind, I did the update, and everything works just fine :)

Last edited:
Reactions: diligiant

LAZRUSS

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2023
No, it doesn't. As MiddleMan-77 explained "Allow user management of kernel extensions from identified developers". That's the case now if you want to use any software which has extensions (Audio Hijack comes to mind). That's not more dangerous than years ago, quite the contrary.

The situation is "orange" because the company went under but not because of their software (and my past problems being the cause of the last 3 bug fixes in the 5D/8D drivers, I know when it hurts ;)

Apple being lazy regarding kernel extensions makes moving to a future-savvy solution less pressing (if you have backup hardware of course.)
I can't find the area to change that setting on Sonoma. There's nothing that I can find in the Privacy and Security settings.

tonmischa

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2007
Reactions: LAZRUSS

beeper66

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2023
I bought a new mac mini that has Sonoma installed. I changed the security settings. It recognizes my Drobo 5C but won't allow me to write to it.

ZetaOne

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2023
London
I'm hoping somebody can help - recently the Fusion drive on my 27" iMac (intel, late 2017) died and I've had to replace the hard drive and do a fresh install of Monterey. I've re-installed Drobo Dashboard, but I'm unable to get the Drobo to mount. Drobo Dashboard cannot see the Drobo either.

I've checked my Security and Privacy settings, and they are all OK as per previous posts in this thread. The one thing I cannot do is boot into Recovery Mode and display a Startup Security option and decrease security - it isn't there as an option for some reason. Can anyone help?

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I'm hoping somebody can help - recently the Fusion drive on my 27" iMac (intel, late 2017) died and I've had to replace the hard drive and do a fresh install of Monterey. I've re-installed Drobo Dashboard, but I'm unable to get the Drobo to mount. Drobo Dashboard cannot see the Drobo either.

I've checked my Security and Privacy settings, and they are all OK as per previous posts in this thread. The one thing I cannot do is boot into Recovery Mode and display a Startup Security option and decrease security - it isn't there as an option for some reason. Can anyone help?
I’m guessing that boot mode isn’t an option because you have a 2017 Mac without T2 security chip.

As to how to get your Drobo to mount, I don’t know - my Drobo is sitting on the Shelf of Unwanted Toys; the data’s been migrated off to supported devices.

ZetaOne

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2023
London
I have around 70TB of FCP video editing content/files etc on the Drobo, and I don't have 10GB ethernet ports on my Mac so copying everything over to a NAS for editing isn't an option at the moment.

It seems I'm screwed. All I can think of is erasing the hard drive, installing Mojave, then install Drobo Dashboard, and then do a step by step upgrade of Mac OS in order to retain those critical Drobo extensions/Kexts that I've now lost.

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Sumthin' tells me that the folks using Drobos ought to be looking at "alternative sources" to replace them....

ZetaOne

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2023
London
Any suggestions? Does anybody even make large capacity DAS anymore? Not sure I really fancy the hassle of a NAS.

pixxelpusher

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2011
Has anyone tested if this is still working with Sonoma 14.2 on M series Mac? Does Drobo Dashboard see the drive and can you maintain it?

rjtiedeman

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2010
Stamford, CT
You can buy an older mac that's running a compatible system and keep your investment going. Our Drobo 5N2 has 4 drives that are running fine and may or may not be useful in a new NAS so we have an old I mac with drobo software running to check the system and manage the problem. A lot cheaper than tossing good stuff in the trash.
However is you want a new shinny machine go for ti it's christmas. Just back up the drobo.

Matterall373

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2014
Drobo 5D3 mounted on M2 Mini, Sonoma. I was able to read and write through the USB 3.0 port.

Thunderbolt doesn't work, not recognized by computer and Drobo auto shuts down
Dashboard not installed (I assume it won't work on Sonoma)

Drobo on M2 2023-12-30 at 3.21.15 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-12-30 at 3.35.57 PM.png Screenshot 2023-12-30 at 3.38.32 PM.png

Drobo has been an unreliable ever since I bought it (2018), but it did a good job restoring data after drive failures on two occasions. When it works, it works well enough, but the Thunderbolt 3 speeds never really materialized because my MACs were unable to connect most of the time.

Dan Dugan

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2024
Yes it does. But when it comes to administering the 5N, if you're running on latest Ventura or even Monterey there's a high chance the Drobo Dashboard driver won't work because of the new kext policies set by Apple. That's the warning that Drobo themselves gave out recently.

Security & Privacy > General > Allow App Store and Identified Developers > Drobo Incorporated (enabled)
Options menu > Recovery > Utilities > Startup Security Utility > Reduced Security (enabled) & Allow user management of kernel extensions from identified developers (enabled)
Thanks, Middleman-77. Trying to keep my Drobo alive on Mac Studio Max running Ventura. Done all you advise, except in Security and Privacy, Allow App Store and Identified Developers button is on, but how do you enter the name of an "identified developer"?

Your second line ends with "> Drobo Incorporated (enabled)" That's the item I can't find where to enter.

Dan Dugan

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2024
So it seems I have made a new discovery regarding the use of the Drobo drivers under Monterey 12.5 (and possibly Ventura) if you have problems booting the Drobo. Aside from having to install the latest Drobo Dashboard, as well as enable the DDService64d file access under Security >Full Disk Access you also have to do two other things. The first is to confirm and enable/allow Drobo as a trusted developer under Security & Privacy > App Store and Identified Developers. And secondly (for Mac Studio users in particular) you need to boot to the Recovery menu on the Mac Studio (by holding down the Power button at bootup until the Option menu appears on screen), and under there go to Options, boot into Recovery Mode then go to Utilities > Startup Security Utility. From there you need to select 'Reduced Security' and 'Allow User Management of Kernel Extensions from Identified Developers'.

View attachment 2051554
I did get this to work, finally, thanks Middleman-77. I couldn't figure out how to get Ventura to approve Drobo as an identified developer. What worked was finding a Drobo installer and re-installing it. In that process the system asked me to go to Settings and OK the developer. Dashboard now working in Ventura!

pixxelpusher

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2011
Have finally done some OS updates to test if Drobo still connects. All still works as normal on:

Monterey 12.4
Ventura 13.6.3
Sonoma 14.2.1

Drobo mounts.
Drobo Dashboard runs as normal. Can see and manage Drobo and its separate hard drives.
All menu items eg Status / Capacity / Volumes all work as normal.
Can unmount and shutdown Drobo through Drobo Dashboard.

Tested with Drobo connected through USB 3.0
Drobo Dashboard 3.6.1
Drobo 5D with firmware 4.2.3
MacBook Pro M1 Max

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.