Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
Certainly devices like this can give sensation 'in your fingers', with normal operation, and it's been well documented that they also make your hair catch fire and eyes explode, (electrical devices that is).

So this is somewhere in-between? :D note: It has been said that intense fear has a slight metallic taste, but that's anecdotal.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: erkanasu

MazingerZND

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2022
hey guys, in the event I am having a health issue here, Im going to stop testing and return this and live with prior gen models. I can't imagine how or why I would have a preconception or predispotion, I have been using macs daily for 20 years, practically buy each and every model, massive fan boy. I'm going to rebuy another m2 13" to satisfiy my itch for a small little guy to work on from time to time. no need for me to accidently cause a potential health problem for me.

I look forward to hopefully seeing at least 1 more person here reporting something similar (or rather maybe not and I would be happy if I was the only person on the planet experiencing this, as I do love apple)

Just do the blind test first :)

Reactions: Parowdy and Crewski

SAdProZ

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
From Google:

"weak electrical stimulation of the tongue can cause a metallic taste. The metallic taste comes from the nerve reacting to the shock"

You may need to return or exchange your MacBook Air. Try visiting an Apple Store to confirm you don't get that taste from similar models.

Reactions: blob.DK

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
I get the same feeling running my fingertips over my MBA cover while it is charging. I am sure there is a very slight charge buildup... cant be a lot or it would give a static discharge.

This is a known issue when using a two-prong (i.e., not grounded) plug with a Mac. It's actually not the Mac or the charger that's at fault, it's the house wiring (usually older wiring) that's causing the effect. If you swap out the two prong plug for either the extension or a three-pronged plug (both grounded), the issue goes away.

aParkerMusic

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2021
The gloves seem to help, remaining taste is gone after switching to gloves.

if you feel the new Macbooks compared to the last gen, they have this very slightly grainy texture, whereas the previous ones feel super smooth.

has anyone here confirmed if apple applied the anodization process to all Macbooks (not just midnight) to back up this theory?
So, you’re typing on plastic keys and a glass trackpad. How did gloves help alleviate the issue in normal use? How often are you caressing the aluminum?

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
only have tried battery so far.

Well that eliminates grounding issues. I know sometimes with improper grounding of wiring in the house some people will feel a tingle touching their MBA but the taste is a new one. I'd say definitely follow up on the others suggestions about possible medical issues.

erkanasu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
well thanks guys for all the love, both macs have been returned. feeling good again on my reg 15" m2 air and 16" m1max. the universe is telling me to chill out on mac purhcases I suppose haha. I hope no one else has the same issues as me. if anyone else experienes this please do write in! maybe we should all go back on with life and let this thread die unless others can reproduce this. thanks again for the support

MazingerZND

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2022
well thanks guys for all the love, both macs have been returned. feeling good again on my reg 15" m2 air and 16" m1max. the universe is telling me to chill out on mac purhcases I suppose haha. I hope no one else has the same issues as me. if anyone else experienes this please do write in! maybe we should all go back on with life and let this thread die unless others can reproduce this. thanks again for the support
So...you didn't do the blind test?

FlyingTexan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2015
OK, this is gonna sound crazy, but after using my 13 inch MacBook Air, M3 in 'midnight' for 10 minutes or longer, I begin to notice a weird taste in my mouth, slightly grainy and metallic. I can't tell if I might be inhaling some fumes from it, or I am absorbing some chemicals from the finish through my hands (midnight w/ anodization). I have other MacBooks in the house (none in this finish or generation), and have never experienced this before.

I have also reproduce this by stopping use and re-starting on and off, and the taste immediately comes back!

thoughts? am I alone? LOL
Do you smell anything like burnt sugar? What about any tingling? What you're describing has been documented before. Sometimes it's sensitivity to electrical currents, etc.

halledise

macrumors 68000
OK, this is gonna sound crazy, but after using my 13 inch MacBook Air, M3 in 'midnight' for 10 minutes or longer, I begin to notice a weird taste in my mouth, slightly grainy and metallic. I can't tell if I might be inhaling some fumes from it, or I am absorbing some chemicals from the finish through my hands (midnight w/ anodization). I have other MacBooks in the house (none in this finish or generation), and have never experienced this before.

I have also reproduce this by stopping use and re-starting on and off, and the taste immediately comes back!

my 20¢ worth …
OP only began having the issue with a new M3 Midnight Air.
doesn't have it with 'legacy' machines.
ergo ipso facto - the new anodized coating is the problem

Reactions: NeilMonteiro

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
I think I replied with a joke that got removed (or I never posted it? who knows).

But your story stuck with me and I remembered my science teacher saying that this is a thing that can happen if a weak current is passing through you, and a reason to be worried about the electrical wiring and appliances in your home.

From Quora: "When you receive an electric shock, the sensation of tasting metal is due to the stimulation of the nerves in your body. This can cause a metallic taste in your mouth. The exact mechanism behind this phenomenon is not fully understood, but it is believed to be related to the way the nerves in your body respond to the electrical stimulation. The sensation of tasting metal after an electric shock is a common experience reported by many people who have been shocked."

You either got a "lemon" M3 Air or this is an issue with this specific model. Maybe it's even down to the anodisation method used for the new Midnight coating?

This is not a joking matter, and I'm sorry for making fun of your post and hope your issue is resolved.

However, if I were you, I'd be concerned there's an issue with the wiring in my home. Maybe it's worth looking into and possibly getting an expert to check out.

Better safe than sorry!

• Love
Reactions: Cape Dave

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA

So the first step in troubleshooting if it's touch-based or odor-based is to use it with a BT mouse. It might be that the new Midnight anodization treatment is the issue for you; I wonder if a regular silver Air or the new black color on the Pro also does it.

And FYI I believe you.

Last edited:

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
...So this is somewhere in-between? :D note: It has been said that intense fear has a slight metallic taste, but that's anecdotal.
Well it does have an M3. 😀

Screenshot 2024-03-20 at 7.25.52 AM.png

Lioness~

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2017
Mars
I really want to rule something out here. This is partly a joke, but definitely not entirely.

Have someone check that you are not having a dream that you are a dog/cat etc, and are actually dreamwalking during sleep, and licking or something similar, on the dear Mac.

Humans are a weird speices, I've heard some people do weirder things during their sleep unconsciously. So just to be certain. The unconscious mind have a great deal to do with what humans experience.

Life is a mystery, and we humans are sometimes not so similar, and evolve in very different directions.

Hope you come to enjoy your Mac again, whatever issues, color and choices involves in this situation.

mark7uk

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2019
Interesting. I felt it with my old 2012 MBP as well as with a 2014 MBA - both purchased and used in the UK with their original plugs.
Are you using the cable (Earthed) or the plastic plug attatched to the charger (sometimes not earthed..)?

Cape Dave

Contributor
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast
Better Call Saul! Maybe this is like when his brother was "allergic to electricity!" LOL, I crack myself up :) But for sure this is an interesting situation that deserves to be solved. Seems to be touch related rather than airborne. Seems to be on M3 in starlight and midnight. And it goes to prove that these days, what with all the variables of high tech coatings, chemicals, etc etc that it is not as simple as it might appear at first. And grounding or lack thereof is another possibility.

And, it is stopped by the returns, but not fully "solved". Intrigue on MacRumors, who woulda thunk it?

TheWraith

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2024
If it isn't just in the OPs mind, it is overwhelmingly likely to be an ungrounded charge. If that's what it is, gloves will 'solve' it—or you can just ground your power supply so it doesn't happen. I have experienced this, it does feel weird, but immediately knew what it was. I honestly didn't know people didn't know what this is. It is not poisonious, dangerous, or horrible, and it is absolutely fixable by rearranging your power supply and/or using a 3 prong plug to fully ground the adapter.

The easiest way to check this is see if it still does it unplugged.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.