Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dream for old California

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2022
OK, this is gonna sound crazy, but after using my 13 inch MacBook Air, M3 in 'midnight' for 10 minutes or longer, I begin to notice a weird taste in my mouth, slightly grainy and metallic. I can't tell if I might be inhaling some fumes from it, or I am absorbing some chemicals from the finish through my hands (midnight w/ anodization). I have other MacBooks in the house (none in this finish or generation), and have never experienced this before.

I have also reproduce this by stopping use and re-starting on and off, and the taste immediately comes back!

thoughts? am I alone? LOL
Have you tried using the MB Pro M3 outside, outdoors with fresh air? If the same thing happens there, try doing a double-blind test with another brand laptop. I don't think you are nuts or anything because I had a similar experience with a brand new desktop PC where the fan inside it was blowing the air towards the front and I could smell "electrical heating" odor which made me nauseous. I moved the PC facing another direction and the smell didn't bother me anymore.

Reactions: Cape Dave

erkanasu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
Hey guys, not covid, not vaccines...lol feel completely normal and really only tasted it during use and for maybe 30 mins after.

Now back on my 15” m2 atm feeling completely normal.

u guys r tempting me to do one more test, wondering if maybe Best Buy just had a bad batch new machines.

SAdProZ

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
Hey guys, not covid, not vaccines...lol feel completely normal and really only tasted it during use and for maybe 30 mins after.

Now back on my 15” m2 atm feeling completely normal.

u guys r tempting me to do one more test, wondering if maybe Best Buy just had a bad batch new machines.
Pretty sure there's a current running through your 13-inch M3 Air; faulty wiring inside. Just return it.

Lioness~

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2017
Mars
My M3 Midnight only made me hungry...
But I haven't got time to eat so much in the transition to trade in old MBA, setting up this new M3MBA.
I didn't chew or lick on the new stunning MBA though.
Will report if anything stranger happens.

Reactions: The Samurai

Kumawins

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2024
I actually had a similar experience and had tests done because my doctor was worried.

It turns out I have unusually high levels of rare metals in my bloodstream, which werent there 2 months ago at my last blood check.

Now the next thing I will be doing is testing the laptop independently for traces of those same metals because I am definitely not sending it to Apple to "check it out".

I will keep you posted...
Can I ask what the metals were? And what model you were using? I just happened upon this thread after experiencing the same thing with my new M3 MacBook Pro. I do think it is from a chemical/metal/odor I am inhaling, not from my hands or using it.

And curious, did you notice it was stronger after you opened your laptop from being closed for a period of time? @erkanasu same question to you.

But yeah, I googled metallic taste after using new MacBook and immediately found this thread, and it is exactly what happened to me.

I will admit I am pretty sensitive to most smells/tastes. And I have been bothered by offgassing from macs before, but never have they left a taste.

Last edited:

DuncR

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2024
YES!! I have suffered with this sporadically over the years. I had an old 2008 MBP (Intel with the defective NVIDIA GPU that they recalled). Apple replaced the motherboard and afterwards I’d get that metallic taste in my mouth when using, and itchy eyes after extended use. Took it back but they couldn’t find anything wrong. I tried all sorts to systematically rule it out. Tape over the case, external mouse and keyboard, replaced the battery, reapplied thermal paste, isopropyl inside and out, cleaned the fans. It got so bad that I had it in a DIY fume cupboard with an extractor fan & hose ventilating out the window until I could afford an iMac 5k. The wife genuinely thought I was crazy until a blind test proved I just needed to be in the same room, not even touching the thing and could detect it.

No issues with iMac at all so I presumed the MBP was off gassing something that I’d developed a sensitivity to - maybe a fire retardant in the cables or faulty capacitor.

Then a few years later got a Dell XPS (also Intel/Nvidia) at work and the same thing started happening. Cleaning it out and reapplying thermal paste made no difference. After reading a similar post online, the only thing I’ve found that stops the weird taste is turning off WiFi on the laptop and hard-wire connecting to internet via Ethernet. At this point, my best guess is that the wifi chip must be off-gassing something, or EMF is reacting with a dental filling.

You’re certainly not alone though!

Last edited:

erkanasu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
update,

reproducded again on a third-mac purchased directly from the apple store, was hoping it was a manufacturing glitch with the inventory from best buy. nope.

impossible to do a blind study, as I can feel the coating difference between m2 and m3 units. if you pay attention, you sense and feel the laptop shell has a slightly chalky layer (very subtle), which is similar to what the taste is like.

interestingly, I did some more research and appartently there is a small % of the population who reports from time to time the ability to taste with their hands and fingers. LOL. I guess im in this group.

my takeaway, I am tasting the new coating, probably safe for the masses, but I'm going to have to sit out this generation out, it tastes too weird.

refurb m2 13" arrives this week to fill the little laptop void. thankful my M1 MAX is a taste-less beast that will last me a while.

i am very disapointed in apple in 2023-2024, products just are not working out for me personally: don't like the new iphones as the screens are harsh on my eyes and the new laptops have a taste! hope they are not on a downward spiral product wise.

Last edited:

erkanasu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
Can I ask what the metals were? And what model you were using? I just happened upon this thread after experiencing the same thing with my new M3 MacBook Pro. I do think it is from a chemical/metal/odor I am inhaling, not from my hands or using it.

And curious, did you notice it was stronger after you opened your laptop from being closed for a period of time? @erkanasu same question to you.

But yeah, I googled metallic taste after using new MacBook and immediately found this thread, and it is exactly what happened to me.

I will admit I am pretty sensitive to most smells/tastes. And I have been bothered by offgassing from macs before, but never have they left a taste.

no change if open or closed for me, im 'tasting' the coating of the new laptop.

Cape Dave

Contributor
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast
update,

reproducded again on a third-mac purchased directly from the apple store, was hoping it was a manufacturing glitch with the inventory from best buy. nope.

impossible to do a blind study, as I can feel the coating difference between m2 and m3 units. if you pay attention, you sense and feel the laptop shell has a slightly chalky layer (very subtle), which is similar to what the taste is like.

interestingly, I did some more research and appartently there is a small % of the population who reports from time to time the ability to taste with their hands and fingers. LOL. I guess im in this group.

my takeaway, I am tasting the new coating, probably safe for the masses, but I'm going to have to sit out this generation out, it tastes too weird.

refurb m2 13" arrives this week to fill the little laptop void. thankful my M1 MAX is a taste-less beast that will last me a while.

i am very disapointed in apple in 2023-2024, products just are not working out for me personally: don't like the new iphones as the screens are harsh on my eyes and the new laptops have a taste! hope they are not on a downward spiral product wise.
Thanks for the update. Much appreciated. I never had an issue with computers, but no way can I attend an event where women are wearing perfume. Ouch!

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2008
well thanks guys for all the love, both macs have been returned. feeling good again on my reg 15" m2 air and 16" m1max. the universe is telling me to chill out on mac purhcases I suppose haha. I hope no one else has the same issues as me. if anyone else experienes this please do write in! maybe we should all go back on with life and let this thread die unless others can reproduce this. thanks again for the support
No, do not let this thread die. Chances are that there are other people experiencing this, so the more details about this issue, the more it can help such people.

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2008
update,

What color was the third one you purchased?

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
Hmm… that leaves Starlight. Wonder if there's any difference in the finishing or dye that's used.

By the way, after reading a whole bunch of the pages of this thread, I was impressed by the level of support and understanding shown.

Sure, there were the usual set of sophomoric jokes and even some patronizing dismissals but, unlike many threads where people *first* reported an oddball defect or unusual reaction (for example, screen cracks or headaches), most responded respectfully, with sympathy!

N.B. Once the headaches, nausea, and vertigo were recognized as related to PWM, that sensitivity began receiving greater support.

In any case, this was great to see. It means more people are more likely to report issues — and get advice about or solutions for their issues.

f54da

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2021
>ability to taste with their hands and fingers

This is amazing, first time I've heard of it. Is it actually tasting or is it a type of synesthesia where the texture/smell/whatever produces similar sensation?

TheWraith

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2024
Did the OP at least try to use these without it being plugged in, because the only thing that is likely is ungrounded power.

Savage_Man

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2024
When I’m in Home Depot, walking around at the outside gardening area (in the fertilizer, weed killer stuff isle) I can taste the chemicals, it’s very annoying. I asked friends or other people go there regularly and they don’t have this drastic problem. So I believe erkanasu on this phenomenon.

f54da

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2021
Well that one makes more sense, they have organic/volatile compounds that some people are sensitive to, and smell is closely linked with taste. From touch is really interesting, although peoples' skin sometimes do react to certain metals so it's quite possible there's some reaction taking place there which the body is interpreting as a taste.

Reactions: Savage_Man

Lioness~

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2017
Mars
You should report this to Apple, if you haven't already spoken to them about this issue when you have been in contact with them during this time. But I didn't read it anywhere, or did I miss it?
Might be more people out there who are affected in various ways.

I'm sure this guy want to know: tcook@apple.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.