Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cape Dave

Contributor
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast
If it isn't just in the OPs mind, it is overwhelmingly likely to be an ungrounded charge. If that's what it is, gloves will 'solve' it—or you can just ground your power supply so it doesn't happen. I have experienced this, it does feel weird, but immediately knew what it was. I honestly didn't know people didn't know what this is. It is not poisonious, dangerous, or horrible, and it is absolutely fixable by rearranging your power supply and/or using a 3 prong plug to fully ground the adapter.

The easiest way to check this is see if it still does it unplugged.
Didn't the OP say that he was using it on battery only?

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
this sounds silly and funny but i remember when i bought a smartphone years ago i couldn't get rid of this awful smell/taste. i remember asking my friend who had just bought the same phone (i only got it because he got it) and he looked at me like i was crazy but yeah thinking back that's something i remember quite well.

our senses are weird. maybe there is something that doesn't agree with you in the materials/coating.

Reactions: Cape Dave

halfapie

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2005
Like all senses, TASTE is impacted by ELECTRICAL impulses as well as chemical. A tiny shift in electron charge balance is enough to give you a taste impact, even when there is zero measurable current flow. For example, people generally taste metal in their mouth when they hold a fork in hand and gently rub that fork with another metal without touching either to your mouth. This is NOT because metal flakes are flying in the air and landing on your tongue. :D

Alternatively, you might have synesthesia.

Of course, I don’t know what electrochemical property of the MacBook Air’s anodized finish is causing this.

axboi87

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2006
Dallas, Tx
OK, this is gonna sound crazy, but after using my 13 inch MacBook Air, M3 in 'midnight' for 10 minutes or longer, I begin to notice a weird taste in my mouth, slightly grainy and metallic. I can't tell if I might be inhaling some fumes from it, or I am absorbing some chemicals from the finish through my hands (midnight w/ anodization). I have other MacBooks in the house (none in this finish or generation), and have never experienced this before.

I have also reproduce this by stopping use and re-starting on and off, and the taste immediately comes back!

thoughts? am I alone? LOL
Covid

BanjoDudeAhoy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2020
Are you using the cable (Earthed) or the plastic plug attatched to the charger (sometimes not earthed..)?
By plastic plug do you mean the extension thing that was available for those?

Either way, I can’t remember what I used for them. I sold them both almost 4 years ago.

(…and now I’m shocked it’s already been this long 😳)

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
Not a doctor here but sounds a little but like the electrical current is passing through you? As if the laptop is improperly grounded.
Good point, yes, and I don't think this is a 'joke'. Consumer products can make people sick all the time, or shock.

leo-the-squirrel

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2024
Questions for the OP, apologies if already answered... Before returning, did you experience the same issue after trying: 1) using external peripherals and were they Bluetooth or USB, 2) changing the screen refresh rate, 3) sitting in close proximity but not touching the laptop or looking at the screen, and finally 4) touching the the laptop as if operating but while NOT looking at the screen? Trying to rule out the following, roughly in order: reaction to airborne fumes, reaction to screen, reaction to surface current fields or hand capacitance/induction, and finally reaction to skin chemical contact.

halledise

macrumors 68000
I think I replied with a joke that got removed (or I never posted it? who knows).

But your story stuck with me and I remembered my science teacher saying that this is a thing that can happen if a weak current is passing through you, and a reason to be worried about the electrical wiring and appliances in your home.

From Quora: "When you receive an electric shock, the sensation of tasting metal is due to the stimulation of the nerves in your body. This can cause a metallic taste in your mouth. The exact mechanism behind this phenomenon is not fully understood, but it is believed to be related to the way the nerves in your body respond to the electrical stimulation. The sensation of tasting metal after an electric shock is a common experience reported by many people who have been shocked."

You either got a "lemon" M3 Air or this is an issue with this specific model. Maybe it's even down to the anodisation method used for the new Midnight coating?

This is not a joking matter, and I'm sorry for making fun of your post and hope your issue is resolved.

However, if I were you, I'd be concerned there's an issue with the wiring in my home. Maybe it's worth looking into and possibly getting an expert to check out.

Better safe than sorry!
"it's not the plane, it's the pilot" - maverick.
not being flippant but just to say, this issue is not being widely reported for other users.
dude returned the suspect Mac and the issue has resolved.
grounding has very little to do with it IMO.

hellosil

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2013
Are you charging the MacBook while experiencing the problem?

Probably yes.

Could be something regarding power supply, MacBook related or power related to the entire home / office (fuse box bad earthing, energy supplier bad power, peaks). ⚡️

pfistemj

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2024
OK, this is gonna sound crazy, but after using my 13 inch MacBook Air, M3 in 'midnight' for 10 minutes or longer, I begin to notice a weird taste in my mouth, slightly grainy and metallic. I can't tell if I might be inhaling some fumes from it, or I am absorbing some chemicals from the finish through my hands (midnight w/ anodization). I have other MacBooks in the house (none in this finish or generation), and have never experienced this before.

I have also reproduce this by stopping use and re-starting on and off, and the taste immediately comes back!

thoughts? am I alone? LOL
Link to article discussing skin cell expression of transmitters related to bitter taste perception.

adib

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2010
Singapore
Try licking the surfaces of the MacBook Air. Try its various surfaces (topside, bottom side, hand rest, trackpad, keyboard caps). If you get similar tastes but stronger, then you've found your source.

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
Well I went into this thread thinking it must be a joke post. But then tried myself and cannot believe this:

Sitting on company pantry table, M3 Max 16" in front (on battery), touching the palm rest with my hand actually does induce some sensation on my tongue. It is not enough to be called a taste, or like the OP's description of being chemical, on my tongue it actually feels more like the muscle pulls itself tighter and the tongue wants to roll by itself (trying my best to describe here). The effect is so subtle that if someone never mentioned I would have never realized (in my 20 years of using laptops).

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2008
OP, do you have a wooden chair and a wooden desk or wooden table? The reason I ask is because you can try this two-step experiment (do not use any gloves for this experiment):

1. Put your computer on the wooden desk or wooden table, and sit in your wooden chair. Try resting your palms on the computer's palm rest with your finger tips resting on the keyboard, with you bare feet touching the ground. Notice whether or not you have the taste issue.
2. Do the exact same things in Step 1, with the only difference being that you lift your feet off the ground so they are not touching the ground (not even a little; lift both feet a few inches off the ground). Notice whether or not you have the taste issue.

The reason for that test is to see whether your taste issue is related to an electrical grounding issue or not. Try both steps once with the computer's power cable plugged in, and once with the computer only running on battery. Make sure there are no other cables connected to your computer aside from the power cable for the first time you do the two steps.

Please report to us back on this thread after you've done that test and let us know what happened.

IsaacM

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
I actually had a similar experience and had tests done because my doctor was worried.

It turns out I have unusually high levels of rare metals in my bloodstream, which werent there 2 months ago at my last blood check.

Now the next thing I will be doing is testing the laptop independently for traces of those same metals because I am definitely not sending it to Apple to "check it out".

I will keep you posted...

Cape Dave

Contributor
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast
I actually had a similar experience and had tests done because my doctor was worried.

It turns out I have unusually high levels of rare metals in my bloodstream, which werent there 2 months ago at my last blood check.

Now the next thing I will be doing is testing the laptop independently for traces of those same metals because I am definitely not sending it to Apple to "check it out".

I will keep you posted...
Please keep us posted. This gets more intriguing by the day. I have the starlight M2 and have not noticed anything, but I have not used it hardly at all. I will pay attention the next time I do.

TIOATIOA

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2016
SC, USA
hey guys, in the event I am having a health issue here, Im going to stop testing and return this and live with prior gen models. I can't imagine how or why I would have a preconception or predisposition

OP, you made a good call here, and it looks like you're tough-skinned enough (pun intended) to deal with the jokers in this thread.

You seem to have done sufficient self-testing, even if casual, to verify something is happening, and it's important to protect your health. I appreciate you calling it into Apple, and I would expect that while they didn't show you much interest or feedback, I assure you they are taking this report VERY seriously. Within Apple are some of the smartest materials engineers around, and reports like this are a big deal.

I did not see if you responded to questions about dental fillings... do you have any?

More importantly, if it were me, I'd seek a blood test for a few things including heavy metals, carbon monoxide exposure, and basic blood panel that might show something out of line with iron/hemoglobin/rbcs etc.. This could be a valuable warning of some internal imbalance (or environmental toxin) that needs attention.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
For people who are still replying without reading anything except for the first post...HE RETURNED THE LAPTOP. HE CANNOT TEST ANYTHING THAT REQUIRES IT. THE LAPTOP IS BACK WITH APPLE.
Luckily there are new participants in the thread with similar symptoms.

Also, people not reading anything but the first post won’t read yours either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.