Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Every so often, someone from the wider culture of what is considered by some (though not by all - how American is Hawaii - not least when a certain kid who once answered to the name of Barry Obama spent many - though not all - of his formative years there?) to be a part of the US hits that bittersweet note of heartbreaking authenticity in describing cultural annihilation and destruction.

So, - in reluctant salute to an unwelcome set of occurrences, or an unfortunate series of events, - to borrow a phrase - or title - from a writer (Lemony Snicket) whose work I like a lot - I am listening to the haunting music of the wonderful Hawai'ian artist, composer, singer, songwriter, and musician, - Israel Kamakawiwo'ole; Listen to "Hawai'i '78", and "Somewhere Over The Rainbow/What a Wonderful World" and I defy you, I dare you, not to want to weep.

Iz, what a breathtaking voice. Yes I think I'll queue some of these up.

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Every so often, someone from the wider culture of what is considered by some (though not by all - how American is Hawaii?- not least when a certain kid who once answered to the name of Barry Obama spent many - though not all - of his formative years there?) to be a part of the US hits that bittersweet note of heartbreaking authenticity in describing cultural annihilation and destruction.

So, - in reluctant salute to an unwelcome set of occurrences, or an unfortunate series of events, - to borrow a phrase - or title - from a writer (Lemony Snicket) whose work I like a lot - I am listening to the haunting music of the wonderful Hawai'ian artist, composer, singer, songwriter, and musician, - Israel Kamakawiwo'ole; Listen to "Hawai'i '78", and "Somewhere Over The Rainbow/What a Wonderful World" and I defy you, I dare you, not to want to weep.

Doing it as we speak. ;)

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Radiohead-Hail-to-the-Thief.jpg

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
How bout some toe tappin music.

Tom Harrell - Time's Mirror
Dick Hyman - Age of Swing

If you had two paper cups over your ears attached to wires and plugged that into your player the music probably would still sound good. :)

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

Edit: Incidentally, I'm looking for recommendations for a good CD recording of Tannhauser.

Can't help you there, I'm afraid; I might ask some of my German friends, but, for obvious reasons, Wagner was something of a guilty cultural secret.

Indeed, it was only in the deep dark of the night (over a few bottles of raided Riesling - the friend I am thinking of, still a good friend, was the son of the Professor of German - while his mother was German - and their house, in addition to a superb collection of classical music - almost all Deutsche Grammophon - was also invariably well stocked with good German wine), that one could confess, that there were a few - just a very few, understand - pieces of music by Wagner that one liked and still feel that one had passed the German historical equivalent of the Bechdel test.

Last edited:

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom

Edit: Incidentally, I'm looking for recommendations for a good CD recording of Tannhauser.
This is so strange, as I spent yesterday afternoon listening to Tannhauser. :)

First choice:
Sinopoli conducting, Domingo, Baltsa, Studer. (1989)
Sinopoli coaxes a truly stupendous finale when the magnificent overture theme reprises in a full chorale.
And the rest ain't bad either!

upload_2017-1-22_14-29-19.png

Second Choice (Sentimental choice, as this is the one I "grew up" with):
Sawallisch, Bayreuth Festival Orchestra (1962)
It is very much in "Die richtige Tradition".

upload_2017-1-22_14-34-53.png
[doublepost=1485095963][/doublepost]
Can't help you there, I'm afraid; I might ask some of my German friends, but, for obvious reasons, Wagner was something of a guilty cultural secret.
Ah now, this music should never be a guilty cultural secret.
Wagner probably was a reprehensible character, but some (only some) of his music is sublime.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene

Indeed, it was only in the deep dark of the night (over a few bottles of raided Riesling - the friend I am thinking of, still a good friend, was the son of the Professor of German - while his mother was German - and their house, in addition to a superb collection of classical music - almost all Deutsche Grammophon - was also invariably well stocked with good German wine), that one could confess, that there were a few - just a very few, understand - pieces of music by Wagner that one liked and still feel that one had passed the German historical equivalent of the Bechdel test.

He had hideous ideas, for sure. But Tannhauser remains really fine music!

First choice:
Sinopoli coaxes a truly stupendous finale when the magnificent overture theme reprises in a full chorale.

View attachment 684903

View attachment 684908
Wagner probably was a reprehensible character, but some (only some) of his music is sublime.

Thanks! I suspected you might have a recommendation. ;)

Reactions: arkitect

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

First choice:

View attachment 684903

View attachment 684908

Thanks for the recommendations, @arkitect. You certainly know your stuff.

He had hideous ideas, for sure. But Tannhauser remains really fine music!

Thanks! I suspected you might have a recommendation. ;)

Yes, repellant politics, but some sublime music.

Actually, I don't think I have any of his music on CD; we do - somewhere - have a LP, from my father's considerable collection which dates back to the 50s, or 60s, but as it is so long since I have seen (or played) it, I am not sure which version it is.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

I don't know whether you ever saw the charming - and wonderful bittersweet British film (movie) "Educating Rita" - but there is a wonderful line "Wouldn't you just die without Mahler?" from the flatmate Trish (played by the wonderful Maureen Lipman) of the eponymous Rita (who was brilliantly played by Julie Walters - playing a working class woman who chooses to go to university as a mature student).

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
I don't know whether you ever saw the charming - and wonderful bittersweet British film (movie) "Educating Rita" - but there is a wonderful line "Wouldn't you just die without Mahler?" from the flatmate Trish (played by the wonderful Maureen Lipman) of the eponymous Rita (who was brilliantly played by Julie Walters - playing a working class woman who chooses to go to university as a mature student).
I have not, but I will make a note. I don't watch too many movies, but I'm always on the lookout for good ones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.