Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MisakixMikasa

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
It's true android is forging ahead, but look at the most recent high-end offerings. While they are not for me, and I played around with the Verizon versions, they are very, very nice. They have cool, different features from IOS and is giving IOS some serious competition. (Of course iphones in the resale department are right up there)

I can see why apple does what it does, makes sense to me so they don't end up supporting multiple operating systems. (like Microsoft....how many operating systems did it support while XP was alive?)

Windows 98, Windows ME support ended 5 years after Windows XP. Microsoft supported Windows 2000 all the way until 2010. So yeah, Microsoft does support multiple OS while Windows XP.

Same thing happens to Apple as well. Apple gave Snow Leopard updates during Mountain Lion time. Apple also gave update to Lion after Mavericks released.

7enderbender

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2012
North East US
So Apple should forget about simplifying design for all the developers, encourage fragmentation and make iOS 6 an option for a small minority of change hating folks like yourself? See with that thought process, the technology would never move forward. The world....

Furthermore, the issues you mentioned are clearly isolated to you or a small minority, but since you haven't made an effort to troubleshoot or get the device replaced, Apple is the blame for all your woes.

No. Like I said I primarily care about stuff working not about how it looks or if some California liberal bearded tech kid thinks it's progressive enough for them (or us unwashed masses rather). Make it work first. Make it pretty second.

Right now, stuff doesn't work. My iPhone constantly disconnects from networks (despite showing LTE or wifi), iMessages crash on a daily basis, iCloud mail service is so bad that I've given up on it and now pay to rent an Exchange server instead, Safari only loads every other website without refreshing once or twice. And the list goes on. This is not what I spent thousands of dollars for when I made the switch from my previous Windows/Blackberry environment.

Your bold assumption that I haven't been troubleshooting is insulting. I've switched devices already. iCloud issues were never resolved, so I'm now paying the main competitor to provide me with reliable push mail. Apple meanwhile admits that iMessage is a cluster****. So is everything Safari on all of our Macs. And they make sure that Google Chrome looks so ugly on a Mac that I don't want to use that either on here though it's certainly the better browser.

Yes, I want to say that that is Apple's fault. Obviously they are moving away from the original thought of making sure that stuff was not just easy but was reliable. Right now it's not. And yes, I'm maybe a more demanding user than the trust fund hippies at Starbucks.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
No. Like I said I primarily care about stuff working not about how it looks or if some California liberal bearded tech kid thinks it's progressive enough for them (or us unwashed masses rather). Make it work first. Make it pretty second.

Right now, stuff doesn't work. My iPhone constantly disconnects from networks (despite showing LTE or wifi), iMessages crash on a daily basis, iCloud mail service is so bad that I've given up on it and now pay to rent an Exchange server instead, Safari only loads every other website without refreshing once or twice. And the list goes on. This is not what I spent thousands of dollars for when I made the switch from my previous Windows/Blackberry environment.

Your bold assumption that I haven't been troubleshooting is insulting. I've switched devices already. iCloud issues were never resolved, so I'm now paying the main competitor to provide me with reliable push mail. Apple meanwhile admits that iMessage is a cluster****. So is everything Safari on all of our Macs. And they make sure that Google Chrome looks so ugly on a Mac that I don't want to use that either on here though it's certainly the better browser.

Yes, I want to say that that is Apple's fault. Obviously they are moving away from the original thought of making sure that stuff was not just easy but was reliable. Right now it's not. And yes, I'm maybe a more demanding user than the trust fund hippies at Starbucks.

So reading over your comment, I can tell you are disgruntled and would be better off on another platform. Let's go over your gripes to bring some clarity and perspective.

1. Wifi/Network disconnect issues. Isolated issue to you and or small minority. If this problem was wide scale, there would be riots in the streets.

2. iCloud Mail. See above. The fact that you rented a server versus utilizing Outlook.com or Yahoo! Mail (both are free and offer push mail in iOS 7) baffles me.

3. iMessage. See #1. Probably consider downloading Kik or another App I guess.

4. Safari. See #1. Safari like iCloud Mail and iMessage are my daily drivers. Rock solid for me and many others I know. Again, there would be riots in the streets, emergency patches, lawsuits.

Not sure how you may have customized your devices, how you treated your devices, or how good your technical abilities are at this point, but I am pretty confident the problem is not a wide scale Apple one.

MisakixMikasa

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2013
So reading over your comment, I can tell you are disgruntled and would be better off on another platform. Let's go over your gripes to bring some clarity and perspective.

1. Wifi/Network disconnect issues. Isolated issue to you and or small minority. If this problem was wide scale, there would be riots in the streets.

2. iCloud Mail. See above. The fact that you rented a server versus utilizing Outlook.com or Yahoo! Mail (both are free and offer push mail in iOS 7) baffles me.

4. Safari. See #1. Safari like iCloud Mail and iMessage are my daily drivers. Rock solid for me and many others I know. Again, there would be riots in the streets, emergency patches, lawsuits.

Not sure how you may have customized your devices, how you treated your devices, or how good your technical abilities are at this point, but I am pretty confident the problem is not a wide scale Apple one.

1. WiFi and Network disconnecting issue always presented with iOS. You can find pages and pages threads on Apple discussion page. Apple had officially recognized the issue and tried fix before.

2. Safari is huge problem on iOS 7. Crash, reloading, freezing is not rare. Again you can find pages after pages of threads on MacRumors and Apple discussion pages.

3. Again, there is several class action lawsuits against Apple for various things, like Bluetooth, WiFi greyed out issue. You just not pay attention or you just avoiding look at these things.

There won't be root on street even if Apple go under or huge bugs found on Apple's software or anything. You will never seen people go root because of a phone or certain company.

Last edited:

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
1. WiFi and Network disconnecting issue always presented with iOS. You can find pages and pages threads on Apple discussion page. Apple had officially recognized the issue and tried fix before.

2. Safari is huge problem on iOS 7. Crash, reloading, freezing is not rare. Again you can find pages after pages of threads on MacRumors and Apple discussion pages.

3. Again, there is several class action lawsuits against Apple for various things, like Bluetooth, WiFi greyed out issue. You just not pay attention or you just avoiding look at these things.

There won't be root on street even if Apple go under or huge bugs found on Apple's software or anything. You will never seen people go root because of a phone or certain company.

Why would I go look for problem threads on MacRumors when my device and everyone I know aren't having issues that you mentioned? Also, you say Wifi disconnects have always been an issue in iOS yet the person I'm actually chatting with wants to go back to iOS 6 because it just works? You are contradicting him by injecting yourself into our discussion.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

Let's take a closer look at this:

1. Pages and pages mean nothing. With the variability of the sheer number of routers wifi is delivered, there is bound to be issues on every device level from every manufacturer. Pages and pages may mean from the same two people. How mean people went to apple to try and get their issue resolved?

2. It's true that I've read people posting who have a problem with Safari, but it seems there are a small minority of websites that potentially cause an issue. I have a 6 core processor, IE 11 loads like a dog on some websites. I'm suggesting Safari may have some issues, most software does. And I also guess it depends on the device.

3. Ah lawsuits. Easy to file, inexpensive to file. Only the lawyers make out. That there is pending litigation says nothing. I do not think any of these has been classified as a class action by the courts. I could file a class action lawsuit on behalf of the 100 disgruntled users who are annoyed that the contact is not shown in full screen mode when one gets an incoming call.

MisakixMikasa

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2013
Why would I go look for problem threads on MacRumors when my device and everyone I know aren't having issues that you mentioned? Also, you say Wifi disconnects have always been an issue in iOS yet the person I'm actually chatting with wants to go back to iOS 6 because it just works? You are contradicting him by injecting yourself into our discussion.

Just because it works on yours and everyone you know aren't having issue does not mean the problem does not exits or not big. Apple pushed several updates to iOS in the past to address the issue.

iOS 6.0.2 was released for iPhone 5 and iPad mini to fix bugs that impact WiFi connection. iOS 6.1.1 released for iPhone 4 to fix cellular connectivity problem.

Apple actually delayed iOS 4.2 because a bug that cause intermittent Wi-Fi issues.

iOS 7 makes made some users WiFi and Bluetooth unusable and there is a class action for that.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
Just because it works on yours and everyone you know aren't having issue does not mean the problem does not exits or not big. Apple pushed several updates to iOS in the past to address the issue.

iOS 6.0.2 was released for iPhone 5 and iPad mini to fix bugs that impact WiFi connection. iOS 6.1.1 released for iPhone 4 to fix cellular connectivity problem.

Apple actually delayed iOS 4.2 because a bug that cause intermittent Wi-Fi issues.

iOS 7 makes made some users WiFi and Bluetooth unusable and there is a class action for that.

So are you having these same issues or are you reciting verbatim forum mentioned issues? Also, please note that a very small amount of iOS users visit these forums and an even smaller amount actually post here.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

Do you have a link that this is actually certified as a class action lawsuit? I couldn't find any reference that a judge had actually okayed this as a class action. Yes, I agree there was a motion filed, and even if it goes ahead apple will quickly settle this and the lawyers will win. It's like a fly buzzing around an elephant.

7enderbender

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2012
North East US

Well, glad that everything us hunky-dory for you and you're happy. Seriously. Yes, I'm a bit disgruntled - especially given that there is no alternative really. Windows 8 is a heap of junk, Linux is still not fit for real life and professional use (just recently tried that route again with more than mixed results), Blackberry on the mobile side of things is dead in the water, Android phones are big and ugly (as will soon be the case with iPhones).

Ad 1: absolutely not isolated. Maybe most people just ignore that or don't care enough. I do and I'm a heavy user so I notice when stuff doesn't work. And unfortunately it often doesn't. Reasons remain unknown and neither Apple nor T-Mobile have been able to resolve anything in a meaningful way (other than pointing fingers at each other...).

Ad 2: to use your wording: the fact that you would consider outlook.com or yahoo mail shows that you are a kid or amateur user. I need enterprise grade push mail that is secure and connected to my own email domain. With Blackberry I had that without the need to buy additional services from Microsoft. iCloud couldn't deliver.

Ad 3: Again, half the world seems to be complaining about it and you tell me to get some obscure third party app instead. I'm expecting Apple to fix this instead of buying some ghetto headphones company for dumb bells (yes, I have very high expectations for audio hardware and software as well...)

Ad 4: Safari now after the update is even more unstable. It loads websites only in about 20% of the time without reloading it. It's slow despite me having a very fast internet connection here in my house. Same problem on three different machines running Mavericks. No solution in sight as far as I can tell.

My devices are not customized, at least not related to that issue. And they are brand spanking new: two Macbook pros, two iPhones, and a customized Mac Mini. I spent a lot of money this year so far to make the switch to Apple. Do the math and you may see why I expect things to work at least 99% of the time. And isn't that really the Apple promise? I'm like the hardware, I think the operating systems are pretty decent (certainly the best around at this point). I'm willing to put up with a few of Apple's silly idiosyncrasies in return to some degree. But I struggle when stuff is not working and I'm told by people that my demands must be to high or too professional grade.

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Apple had no option but to change given that other competitors switch it up and keep it fresh! They changed before iOS got stale and bland. They needed a modern twist on its platform hence the colourful ios7 making its mark!

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Well, glad that everything us hunky-dory for you and you're happy. Seriously. Yes, I'm a bit disgruntled - especially given that there is no alternative really. Windows 8 is a heap of junk, Linux is still not fit for real life and professional use (just recently tried that route again with more than mixed results), Blackberry on the mobile side of things is dead in the water, Android phones are big and ugly (as will soon be the case with iPhones).

Ad 1: absolutely not isolated. Maybe most people just ignore that or don't care enough. I do and I'm a heavy user so I notice when stuff doesn't work. And unfortunately it often doesn't. Reasons remain unknown and neither Apple nor T-Mobile have been able to resolve anything in a meaningful way (other than pointing fingers at each other...).

Ad 2: to use your wording: the fact that you would consider outlook.com or yahoo mail shows that you are a kid or amateur user. I need enterprise grade push mail that is secure and connected to my own email domain. With Blackberry I had that without the need to buy additional services from Microsoft. iCloud couldn't deliver.

Ad 3: Again, half the world seems to be complaining about it and you tell me to get some obscure third party app instead. I'm expecting Apple to fix this instead of buying some ghetto headphones company for dumb bells (yes, I have very high expectations for audio hardware and software as well...)

Ad 4: Safari now after the update is even more unstable. It loads websites only in about 20% of the time without reloading it. It's slow despite me having a very fast internet connection here in my house. Same problem on three different machines running Mavericks. No solution in sight as far as I can tell.

My devices are not customized, at least not related to that issue. And they are brand spanking new: two Macbook pros, two iPhones, and a customized Mac Mini. I spent a lot of money this year so far to make the switch to Apple. Do the math and you may see why I expect things to work at least 99% of the time. And isn't that really the Apple promise? I'm like the hardware, I think the operating systems are pretty decent (certainly the best around at this point). I'm willing to put up with a few of Apple's silly idiosyncrasies in return to some degree. But I struggle when stuff is not working and I'm told by people that my demands must be to high or too professional grade.

Everybody's experience is different:

1. Wifi disconnect: there is some issue. I haven't noticed this in weeks though. But I agree in the past wifi disconnected randomly.

2. iCloud: since when was it designed for the enterprise? Blackberry had free BES, you still needed exchange. Microsoft I think you have to purchase active sync, or maybe not, not sure of the issue here.

3. Audio: maybe your expectations are too high. It is what is.

4. Safari/iMessage I don't have a Mac but both work on my 5s properly. In fact I know of no one who has issues with either. Doesn't mean there aren't, but forums overblow the extent of issues. Most of the iMessage issues appear to be moving from apple and deregistering your iPhone.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

Sounds like you have more issues than most. Can't tell from your post if you are talking only about iphone or iphone/mac desktop.

On my 5S, there "was" a wifi disconnect issue, which somehow resolved itself (maybe after the network reset, I don't remember). It's most noticeable when wifi is on but cellular data is off. I haven't seen a random disconnect message in weeks now. With wifi off and LTE on, my phone has never disconnected from the network. If your phone does, it clearly needs to be checked out.

Imessage the same thing. Imessage has never crashed for anyone I know(I asked) that has an iphone. If it's crashing for you on your iphone, seems like the "Genius" ought to be able to figure out what is going on.

icloud I don't know if it was ever ready for prime time.

Hope you get your problems resolved.

tkwolf

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2012
What I miss the most about iOS 6 was the far more superior stock music app. I can't believe how bad Apple ****ed up the music app in iOS 7. Hopefully the music player in iOS 8 will be a substantial improvement.

While iOS 6 had better looking icons, easy-to-identify buttons, better battery/performance and more legible text, the music app is what I miss the most and if I could go back to iOS 6, I would it do it just for that.

----------

Vast majority?

I'm pretty sure it's more like 50/50. Most people I know either hate it or are indifferent about but still have some complaints about it. I yet to meet somebody in person that absolutely loves it.

Those adoption rates do not equal satisfaction.

I am yet to meet a person who actually loves iOS6.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012

1. WIFI working flawless for me and the few people I know. WIFI most of the day at work and at home with my Airport Extreme. Couldn't be anymore pleased.

2. Outlook.com and Yahoo! Mail offer push email similar to the functionality offered in iCloud Mail which is what you complained was not working properly. Nothing amateurish about these services either as they are excellent communication tools with different branding being the main differentiator. You did move the goal post though by adding ENTERPRISE in a later comment and needing to use your own domain name which is something else entirely and not offered by iCloud mail in the first place. GMAIL offers a similar service as well that you may want to look into.

3. iMessage works fine for most users I'm willing to bet. Not sure what else to tell you.

4. Same for Safari.

Again, I don't know if your phones are jailbroken or what, but maybe the issue is T-Mobile with some of your woes? I would advise trying out an AT&T phone during the 14 day return period and see if your experience is better.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
The thing I DON'T understand is how people who prefer pre iOS 7 or don't like certain things about iOS 7 are labeled haters. ;)

----------

The only thing I like about iOS 7 is control center.

That makes you a hater according to this thread. :p

CB1234

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2012
Dubai, UAE
The thing I DON'T understand is how people who prefer pre iOS 7 or don't like certain things about iOS 7 are labeled haters. ;)

----------

There isn't anything to understand really....

It's ths same for people who like iOS 7 being labelled as fanboys and apologists.....

byke

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2007
LDN. UK
I am yet to meet a person who actually loves iOS6.

Love is a term that exemplifies a great passion for something, and while there is no doubt that in this sense when comparing to operating systems that one is enjoyable or pleasent and the other is tolerable. The emotion of dissatisfaction should not be used as a form of defence to justify the needs of such claims.

Ios 6 is pleasant, whereas ios 7 is not.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
Fall apart? Hardly. Become a hot mess like the Android platform? The potential would be there. I imagine developers would just stop developing for iOS 6 all together at some point though so maybe not.

Ultimately, Apple is trying to move the platform forward, not be stuck in neutral to cater to a very small minority.

How is Android a hot mess?

stevemiller

macrumors 68010
Oct 27, 2008
It is a false dichotomy to say that a person either likes iOS 7's design, or wants to keep the iOS 6 design forever.

There is plenty that I don't mind or even enjoy about iOS 7, but nobody can force me to change my subjective opinion that the white backgrounds, and the icon colours and shapes lack appeal. If you are like "boo hoo big deal", that's your prerogative, but most of my critiques are around readability and what is inviting to touch, and I think those are reasonable concerns.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
It is a false dichotomy to say that a person either likes iOS 7's design, or wants to keep the iOS 6 design forever.

There is plenty that I don't mind or even enjoy about iOS 7, but nobody can force me to change my subjective opinion that the white backgrounds, and the icon colours and shapes lack appeal. If you are like "boo hoo big deal", that's your prerogative, but most of my critiques are around readability and what is inviting to touch, and I think those are reasonable concerns.

I agree with you whole-heartedly. There is always room for improvement in everything man-made. Whether it's a physical object or an operating system.

In general I like IOS 7 and find it easy to use; however there are always aspects of it I may find needs improving, while others may think those same aspects are perfect.

With apples policy not allowing a prior version of the O/S to be installed on your idevice, seems like they send a clear message.

tkwolf

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2012
Love is a term that exemplifies a great passion for something, and while there is no doubt that in this sense when comparing to operating systems that one is enjoyable or pleasent and the other is tolerable. The emotion of dissatisfaction should not be used as a form of defence to justify the needs of such claims.

Ios 6 is pleasant, whereas ios 7 is not.

No need to sound like someone trying to hard to dissect what other people are saying. You don't need to be too technical over such term, you're in a forum. Geez over an iOS debate. I appreciate your attempt though. No harm intended brother.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Become a hot mess like the Android platform?
Android is not a hot mess and many of the features found in iOS were first in Android. Google is moving that platform forward and its more open the iOS. That has advantages and disadvantages.

Apple is choosing a more closed approach which has its own pros/cons. One thing is sure, Android is a solid platform, just as much as iOS is.

byke

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2007
LDN. UK
Android is not a hot mess and many of the features found in iOS were first in Android. Google is moving that platform forward and its more open the iOS. That has advantages and disadvantages.

Apple is choosing a more closed approach which has its own pros/cons. One thing is sure, Android is a solid platform, just as much as iOS is.

There have been rumours of split screen tasking on iOS.
Which I believe has been available on certain forms of android for a while now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.