Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
Android is not a hot mess and many of the features found in iOS were first in Android. Google is moving that platform forward and its more open the iOS. That has advantages and disadvantages.

Apple is choosing a more closed approach which has its own pros/cons. One thing is sure, Android is a solid platform, just as much as iOS is.

My personal opinion is that Android is a hot mess. Things that I believe contribute to this opinion are:

1. Fragmentation. That has been beaten to death so no need to elaborate.

2. Manufacturer skins and one off customizations. Buy a new Android phone (non-Nexus version) and you will have 2-3 calendar, mail, and messaging apps installed day one walking out the store. The ones made by the manufacturer are using old open source code. I think this alone qualifies as a hot mess for user experience no matter how you dress it up.

3. Optimization and battery life. Android has a lot of bells and whistles that eat up your charge if left on. Dynamic wallpaper is one such example. Most folks leave off features they like because they want their battery life to last longer. Why have it if you can't really use it or need to charge your phone every few hours?

On the optimization side, I know folks in my small real world circle who have android phones (budget and high end) where the performance goes to crap after months of use. This always leads to a reset to get it humming along again. It truly reminds me of Windows all over again. While Apple has it's share of horror stories, I have various Apple devices in my family with iOS 5 and the classic iPod that perform the same as they did day 1. No reset, no nothing. I see this more times than not.

Anyways, this is my opinion and how I feel. I'm sure you have an Android phone and it probably runs fantastic. I think the examples I provided, most Android users would agree with and probably have experienced or seen those issues at some point or another. I'm sure the answer will be ROOT and uninstall this, that or another. Again, I would ask what kind of user experience is that? Who wants to troubleshoot and rom flash an essential device as your phone constantly?

MisakixMikasa

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
My personal opinion is that Android is a hot mess. Things that I believe contribute to this opinion are:

1. Fragmentation. That has been beaten to death so no need to elaborate.

2. Manufacturer skins and one off customizations. Buy a new Android phone (non-Nexus version) and you will have 2-3 calendar, mail, and messaging apps installed day one walking out the store. The ones made by the manufacturer are using old open source code. I think this alone qualifies as a hot mess for user experience no matter how you dress it up.

3. Optimization and battery life. Android has a lot of bells and whistles that eat up your charge if left on. Dynamic wallpaper is one such example. Most folks leave off features they like because they want their battery life to last longer. Why have it if you can't really use it or need to charge your phone every few hours?

On the optimization side, I know folks in my small real world circle who have android phones (budget and high end) where the performance goes to crap after months of use. This always leads to a reset to get it humming along again. It truly reminds me of Windows all over again. While Apple has it's share of horror stories, I have various Apple devices in my family with iOS 5 and the classic iPod that perform the same as they did day 1. No reset, no nothing. I see this more times than not.

Anyways, this is my opinion and how I feel. I'm sure you have an Android phone and it probably runs fantastic. I think the examples I provided, most Android users would agree with and probably have experienced or seen those issues at some point or another. I'm sure the answer will be ROOT and uninstall this, that or another. Again, I would ask what kind of user experience is that? Who wants to troubleshoot and rom flash an essential device as your phone constantly?

You still need troubleshoot iPhone otherwise these forum won't exits, since no doody using iOS have problem anyways. You will experience issues with iOS as well. So all your saying can be applied to iOS as well.

High end Android phones, like HTC M8, Oppo Find 7, Moto G and even low end Moto G runs just as well as iPhone. My Moto G runs just beautifully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.