Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

h.gilbert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2022
Bordeaux
Revamp the whole of iOS is what it needs to do. Hardware is always great, iPhone always have a sense of heft and quality that androids don't really have.

Just tried a relative's old 11PM on the latest iOS a few days ago. Feels like an OS that's 10 years old - Featureless, unintuitive, restrictive, and frankly just boring. If performance had been solid that might have been a redeeming quality but it had as many bugs as any other android I've had.

Not an Apple hater, I've been using solely mac for the last 7 years and much prefer it. But iPhone, because of iOS, is junk IMO.

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
We haven’t seen what Apple could do with AI. Let’s reserve our judgment until WWDC/September this year.

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
What does Apple got to do? Nothing beyond what they’re doing to be honest. I’ll never consider the One UI or whatever Samsung calls their version of Android simply because it’s still very cluttered and unnecessarily convoluted. Theres a lot of praises for the AI Samsung and Google implemented as of late, and deservedly so because they are pretty good. But I’m guessing Apple will take a stranglehold on AI and make them go back to the drawing board again. I like the S24 series from the hardware and design standpoint, but the biggest flaw is they run Android.

Iwavvns

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2023
Andriod has become more polish throughout the years and they keep getting better . Most folks stay with apple because they are deep in the Ecosystem.
Not all of us. I recently switched (November of last year) back to iOS after using android for six months, the switch from android back to iOS took me about two hours. I never allow myself to be so deep into any system that I can’t leave at a moment’s notice. I wanted to give android a good long try to see if I would make it my permanent home, sadly it is still garbage in my opinion. And, if the Google graveyard is any indication, we can’t even be absolutely sure that Android will be there next year.. I mean Google keeps dumping products that people are actively using.

TracerAnalog

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2012
This is the first android device I've used that I'm legitimately impressed with. Build quality is pretty damn good. Screen is amazing. More importantly, the AI features simply work brilliantly. I'm blown away and I've been a samsung phone hater for years and years.

Now, I know those will respond with, "Apple doesn't have to do anything since Samsung sells a tiny percentage of the iphone", or, "Apple only does small, incremental changes." But, the iphone 15 and more importantly, IOS 17 feel positively ancient compared with the S24 Ultra. Do we think Apple will see this as a legitimate threat and actually deliver real evolutionary change in IOS 18?
Having both the iPhone and S24 Ultra I have to mostly agree. The S24 Ultra hardware is impressive, and so is the software. I would say it feels slightly ahead of the iPhone, but it is mostly a different approach to the smartphone experience. The AI additions are a bit haphazard first steps in my opinion, it doesn’t feel like an integrated software package yet. The draw to search is a fun way to search visually, a truly good idea! I find the Bixby/Google assistant situation a bit schizophrenic (just go for Google) and still far away from an actual AI assistant.
But, overall an impressive phone. It is nothing (yet) that cannot be caught up with this years iPhone, but Apple does have to catch up.

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
I always find these arguments interesting.

People seem very polarised sometimes - loving/hating iOS vs Android.

For me, I could never have an android phone. The one and only reason being of course Apple's very clever ecosystem lock in. This isnt a bad thing as such... but it works.

I very much value the integration between my devices and as an owner of an iMac, a MacBook, iPhone, Watch, Apple TV, HomePods.... the way they work together and share information is priceless.
I cannot imagine ever being able to change my iPhone for an Android phone as it will break this interconnectivity that I value so much.

I can certainly understand Android's appeal and iOS can feel really stale at times. There have been many android phones where they have done some really interesting things that Apple have not... and if you are an android user you have an enviable wealth of choice for your devices.

teohyc

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2007
Apple will compete with marketing. Can't wait for the next space-grade surgical-grade whatever they use in their phone.

Jokes aside, I use iPhone only because iCloud backups EVERYTHING. While Samsung offers several backup options, I've found out that those options do not backup EVERYTHING.

2nd reason is iPhones can record at 25FPS. I don't want to spend so much to buy a Samsung phone only to pay for a subscription for an app just to record at 25FPS-- that's just dumb.

If Samsung can add 25FPS recording, I am very likely to switch back to Android.

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

3Rock

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2021
This is the first android device I've used that I'm legitimately impressed with. Build quality is pretty damn good. Screen is amazing. More importantly, the AI features simply work brilliantly. I'm blown away and I've been a samsung phone hater for years and years.

Now, I know those will respond with, "Apple doesn't have to do anything since Samsung sells a tiny percentage of the iphone", or, "Apple only does small, incremental changes." But, the iphone 15 and more importantly, IOS 17 feel positively ancient compared with the S24 Ultra. Do we think Apple will see this as a legitimate threat and actually deliver real evolutionary change in IOS 18?

The best and only answer to give to your question is, we don’t know. We are not Apple, so how are we to know the answer to this question. Apple will be Apple, and that is the only thing we know.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore

I don’t think Apple feels particularly threatened in part due to the stickiness of their ecosystem. Each has their respective strengths and by all reports, Apple is having success in getting android users to switch over. So whatever Apple is doing seems to be working?

MarkNewton2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2023

I believe Apple has a plan to be a winner on any competitions of their products. They have strong customer base as Samsung and Android. I myself am one of Apple strong customers and do only believe Apple for their great customer service, quality and secure products. Keep calm, Apple knows what they are doing on handling their competitors and be happy on Apple 😊 Life is too short to be unhappy on anything 😊

toobravetosave

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2021
apple and android don’t really compete

userbase is almost static for both platforms and has been for a while.

most industry seems to be coalescing behind 2-3 market controllers

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Not all of us. I never allow myself to be so deep into any system that I can’t leave at a moment’s notice.
I ended up being this way by default. I was ready to jump all-in on the Apple ecosystem in 2012 with my new iPhone 5. But that was the year Apple cut off PowerPC Macs and iTunes from connecting with Lightning based devices. I had to find another way.

And in finding another way I also made sure that everything I've got on my phone is not actually stored on my phone, or at least is automatically backed up to a cloud service other than iCloud. iCloud serves as a convenience for me only. The majority of any services I use is Google, which makes switching between iOS and Android at will easy.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
The one and only reason being of course Apple's very clever ecosystem lock in. This isnt a bad thing as such... but it works.
It's not a lock-in. You are not a prisoner. And, believe it or not you (people) can actually use non-Apple services on the iPhone/iDevice. I do all the time, my services are Google amongst others.

But, really. If you had sufficient motivation (good or bad) to leave you could. It might not be a pleasant experience, but below is the reason you stay…
I very much value the integration between my devices and as an owner of an iMac, a MacBook, iPhone, Watch, Apple TV, HomePods.... the way they work together and share information is priceless.
Rather than being 'locked-in' you're there because you value the integration. You're staying because you CHOOSE to. No one stuffed you in a cell, slammed the door and locked it. You can leave at any time. You are just choosing to stay.

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
It's not a lock-in. You are not a prisoner. And, believe it or not you (people) can actually use non-Apple services on the iPhone/iDevice. I do all the time, my services are Google amongst others.

But, really. If you had sufficient motivation (good or bad) to leave you could. It might not be a pleasant experience, but below is the reason you stay…

Rather than being 'locked-in' you're there because you value the integration. You're staying because you CHOOSE to. No one stuffed you in a cell, slammed the door and locked it. You can leave at any time. You are just choosing to stay.
um.. yes,.. thats the point I was making no need to re-iterate it as if I wasnt.

and im happy to be there.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
um.. yes,.. thats the point I was making no need to re-iterate it as if I wasnt.

and im happy to be there.
Maybe I have a misunderstanding of the word-phrase 'lock-in' then. I'm sorry, I was under the assumption that if someone was 'locked-in' they couldn't leave.

I now understand that 'lock-in' means you can choose to leave whenever you want.

Thanks for the education.

dwaltwhit

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Tennessee
People seem to be missing the point. Apple, if it cares (clearly it doesn't), could incorporate 90% of the useful features Android offers and still remain IOS. It doesn't because it's lazy, and doesn't feel it needs to because Apple knows people will buy anything they sell at any price, regardless of how little work goes into it.
Apple is stuck there because if they start incorporating those features, then they get sued for infringement.

Reactions: TwitchyPuppy

RichP74

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
I don’t have the S24, but do have the S23 ultra. I can easily use iOS or android. That’s why I was upset when Apple discontinued the physical SIM card. I like to switch when I feel the urge, lol.
While it's not as easy as swapping a hard SIM, an eSIM is pretty damn easy too.. unless something in Android doesn't make it so? I haven't used a modern Android phone in a hot second so I don't know, but on iPhone it's trivial to install an eSIM.

As for the main topic, I've been with iPhone for 10+ years but wouldn't mind switching at some point to see if the grass is greener. That said, I support enough friend/family Android phones I know they're still not there yet. It's really analogous to Windows... I use a Mac in my personal life for the same reason. I work in IT and just don't want to dick with this stuff on my personal time, I need it to just work.

Reactions: Lounge vibes 05

toobravetosave

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2021
Maybe I have a misunderstanding of the word-phrase 'lock-in' then. I'm sorry, I was under the assumption that if someone was 'locked-in' they couldn't leave.

I now understand that 'lock-in' means you can choose to leave whenever you want.

Thanks for the education.

you severely misunderstand the phrase but it appears deliberate

your assumption was also incorrect because of how literal and inflexible your navigation of language appears

maybe when all of society interprets plain language like a calculator you will be less confused

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: arkitect and gpat

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
you severely misunderstand the phrase but it appears deliberate

your assumption was also incorrect because of how literal and inflexible your navigation of language appears

maybe when all of society interprets plain language like a calculator you will be less confused
Perhaps that may be so.

For now, I will stick with the dictionary meaning of words instead of what society determines is 'plain language'.

Thanks.

MallardDuck

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2014

Yeah, but...it runs Android. If you want to be in that ecosystem, sure, get that phone. But if you care about privacy, security, regular and timely updates, iMessage, etc, then it's completely irrelevant.

The people I don't get are the ones that flip/flop back and forth, chasing the latest and greatest. It's a duopoly, and they leapfrog each other. Best option is to pick an ecosystem and stick with it.

chaospet

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2011

There are a lot of reports that Apple is developing its own multimodal LLM to implement in IOS18. Curious to see what they'll do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.