Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tarsins

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2009
Wales
I have no desire to spend time fiddling with Android when iOS will just do what I want. MY OH has an S23 and a lot of the time she's like "How the hell do I do this?"

Reactions: throAU

ProbablyDylan

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2024
Los Angeles
I just need Apple to copy that anti-reflective and more durable glass. Call it Ceramic Shield 2 or something, just make it happen Tim!

and just cut/paste their notification system to iOS please I'm begging you

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
This is the first android device I've used that I'm legitimately impressed with. Build quality is pretty damn good. Screen is amazing. More importantly, the AI features simply work brilliantly. I'm blown away and I've been a samsung phone hater for years and years.

Now, I know those will respond with, "Apple doesn't have to do anything since Samsung sells a tiny percentage of the iphone", or, "Apple only does small, incremental changes." But, the iphone 15 and more importantly, IOS 17 feel positively ancient compared with the S24 Ultra. Do we think Apple will see this as a legitimate threat and actually deliver real evolutionary change in IOS 18?
I think Apple are more focused on what is happening on the AI front overall, the S24 Ultra will probably sell at 1/10th of what a 15 Pro Max will sell, given how many more flagships (Pro Max phones) Apple sells.

In the last couple of years I have felt as though the battle on the hardware front has pretty much ended with each competitor (Samsung and Apple) having chosen a stance and approach of their own, now it’s all about Software; AI, games, services and overall ecosystem experience, less so the hardware.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
The Samsung S24 Ultra does indeed have great hardware. The only thing crippling this phone, in my opinion, is the operating system. Android is a dumpster fire controlled by a company that cant make up its mind (ever seen the Google graveyard?). What Samsung needs to do is create a real iOS competitor.
Android isn't quite that bad, but it isn't nearly as good as the fans would say it is but that goes for iOS, as well.

I hear that Android had something that was copied into iOS. That's probably true both ways. However, Apple usually finishes things to the point where they're pleasant to use. Google just slaps it into working condition, and occasionally gives it a security update.

I was really happy with a OnePlus 8T but switched to a Google Pixel 6a. Google didn't seem to test what they developed and just pushed Android 14 out the door. It's better now, but OnePlus has a better handle on what a user would want. Unfortunately, they only have a sliver of the market.

Reactions: maxrest

Curry119

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2023
This is the first android device I've used that I'm legitimately impressed with. Build quality is pretty damn good. Screen is amazing. More importantly, the AI features simply work brilliantly. I'm blown away and I've been a samsung phone hater for years and years.

Now, I know those will respond with, "Apple doesn't have to do anything since Samsung sells a tiny percentage of the iphone", or, "Apple only does small, incremental changes." But, the iphone 15 and more importantly, IOS 17 feel positively ancient compared with the S24 Ultra. Do we think Apple will see this as a legitimate threat and actually deliver real evolutionary change in IOS 18?
Samsung makes good devices but I like the software of iOS better. Once Apple launches their AI software at WWDC they will be in the AI game. Looking forward to a Siri I can ask questions to like I would to Copilot.

Reactions: maxrest

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Apple has always been competing at the ecosystem level. You are not comparing iPhone vs android. You are comparing "Apple ecosystem" vs "Android ecosystem". A marginally better camera or some half-baked AI features aren't going to meaningfully move the needle here.

Hkfan45

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2021
Apple has always been competing at the ecosystem level. You are not comparing iPhone vs android. You are comparing "Apple ecosystem" vs "Android ecosystem". A marginally better camera or some half-baked AI features aren't going to meaningfully move the needle here.
Android has more than half baked AI features. They work pretty flawlessly. Siri feels absolutely archaic in comparison. It’s been years since i have used it.

Ratlerbite

Suspended
Mar 13, 2024
The Samsung S24 Ultra does indeed have great hardware. The only thing crippling this phone, in my opinion, is the operating system. Android is a dumpster fire controlled by a company that cant make up its mind (ever seen the Google graveyard?). What Samsung needs to do is create a real iOS competitor.
Funny how many think iOS cripples the iPhone

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
If AI is the only real qualification here, then I don't want anything to do with it.
Agree. I have zero interest in using my phone more. I’m keeping my 13 mini for years and years regardless if OS is supported.

Hkfan45

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2021
Agree. I have zero interest in using my phone more. I’m keeping my 13 mini for years and years regardless if OS is supported.
Never understood the appeal of the mini. Crappy battery life, dinky screen. Only ppl with small hands or tight jeans seem to want them.

ProbablyDylan

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2024
Los Angeles
Never understood the appeal of the mini. Crappy battery life, dinky screen. Only ppl with small hands or tight jeans seem to want them.

Small footprint in the pocket, easy to use one-handedly. Lots of people only use a phone for communication, so a larger screen becomes less convenient.

DaveS86

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2022
I don’t think iOS or Android is better than the other. They are distinctly different systems giving people a choice between highly customisable but less attention to detail (imo) and barely customisable but with high attention to detail. I like both.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.