Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NeonNights

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2022
^ Someone who is being intellectually honest and gets it. The ecosystem and my family use of devices lock me into ios. I love MacOS and mac hardware but loathe Apple's mobile devices. I must be the only one.
Ditto but I've managed to be the sole Android user within my circle of extended family and it's been fine. I love, love, love my MacBooks and MacOS over the years but have grown increasingly frustrated with iOS. Everyone else in my family is on iPhone/iPad/Apple Watch, which is absolutely fine. But the best phone for me is clearly not an iPhone. Been exceptionally happy with my Fold 4. I used to have the Note 4, 8, 10, then iPhone 12 PM, iPhone 13 Pro, and back to Android again. I see no real benefits of iOS over Android. Both platforms are mature and innovation has reached a plateau. They're both excellent devices. Just pick which tool works best for you. Most apps are multi-platform/cloud-based so it's easier to comingle "ecosystems".

Last edited:
Reactions: GuruZac

innominato5090

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2009
Not at all. Plenty of other features. But, don't knock AI. The summary feature works pretty fantastic. Not sure why Apple hasn't implemented that already. The image search is also incredibly useful. It has all these little things that with IOS takes you like 10 steps at best, and at worst, is impossible. I can't even directly upload a video in the photos app on my iphone to Youtube. How silly is that?

AI to power this (language models/LLM) takes year+ to develop. Apple is playing catch up to Google, their are powering much of Samsung AI features. OpenAI is miles ahead. iOS 18 is the earliest we could see some advancement in this space.

ps866mker

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2022
I'm a happy camper. Have the whole ecosystem and its amazing how Apple products work together. Been going back and forth with the iPhone and Samsung/LG/Motorola/OnePlus and even used CyanogenMod way back and then Liniageos later. I have stayed with the iPhone since the XR. I'm definitely not the target for any iPhone improvement - as long as I have battery life and camera, I'm good to go.

Reactions: tomtattoo

teohyc

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2007
Apple doesn't compete with other phones from other companies, or at least that's what they want you to believe.

They only compete with their previous model.

Reactions: StoneJack

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Agreed. I want to see a better Apple product. But, I’ve grown disillusioned over the past 2 years. The OS is stagnant and limiting, yet major bugs still persist.
What bugs that are major that seem to be widespread still exist? Android does not have any longstanding major bugs?
The hardware is generally pretty good, but Apple battery life doesn’t maintain the same competitive edge it once did. Really, the only thing that keeps me is that my kids have Apple devices and it would be a pain to be the odd man out with Android. But if that’s the only reason to stay, I find that embarrassing for a company the size of Apple.
Has anyone compared battery life in an apple to apples fashion?(pun intended)

naturalguy

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2018
Every single Samsung I had got laggy and buggy after a few months, they have cool bells and whistles but can’t get the basics right

Reactions: LionTeeth

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
When was the last time you used one? I currently use an iPhone 13 PM and a pixel 8 w/ graoheneOS. Android has grown on me.
I have 3 numbers over 2 active phones. iPhone 12 Pro and Galaxy S23. iPhone is my everyday phone.

Though considering a new iPhone this fall, and have the 12 Pro in case of emergency.

iGeek2019

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2019
No Selection
There’s always room for improvement and competition is good - I’ve recently purchased a Samsung S23 FE for my friend’s birthday and from playing around with it I was quite impressed.

Maybe I’m easily pleased but even with the additional controls in the stock Camera app wouldn’t go amiss in iOS either… Yes, there are third party apps but Apple integrating a few more manual modes would be nice.

My two cents worth, granted, but everyone has different preferences and I guess it partly depends on what works for you?

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Apple doesn't compete with other phones from other companies, or at least that's what they want you to believe.

They only compete with their previous model.
I think this is true. I’ve seen the advertisements and they’re not swaying me to buy an android phone. Everything in 2024 is AI. Microsoft is advertising their Edge browser is an AI browser… What next, AI shoes?

People talking about trapped in the ecosystem and how once you get in but I think those people are tech nerds. Everyone I know that has an iPhone that’s not a tech doesn’t have a bunch of Apple devices. The closest thing they might have is an Apple Watch and sure that does sort of lock them in but realistically it’s not hard to buy a Samsung watch and call it a day.

I think it’s just about preference and what the user wants. I’ve used android phones and didn’t like the experience. Even without the privacy concerns, I wouldn’t go to android on my primary phone.

If Sammy really wants to take iPhone customers away from Apple, they need to make something more like iOS. The same goes with Apple trying to get android customers.

TheLocNar

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2017
iPhone 15 Pro Max: $1199 — it incurs development costs for hardware, iOS, iCloud, data centers maintenance, App Store & other services, apps developed for iPhone, WebKit [:apple: web browser engine], Swift [:apple: programming language], and so on.

Samsung S24 Ultra: $1299 — they have significantly lower costs because Google & Qualcomm support 80% of them.

I don’t even think it’s necessary to repeat that on an iPhone you have better optimized and designed apps, consistent performance for all users (Samsung is the only company that sells 3 different types of processors with 3 different levels of performance), and, most importantly, you receive the operating system update as soon as it’s released, not after a few months.

The iPhone and Google Pixel are the only phones that truly justify their price.

Samsung: “Titanium is only applied on the device frame. Frame does not include volume and side keys.” 🤣

Galaxy AI is just Samsung’s cheap marketing; it doesn’t actually exist. Samsung uses Google Gemini and Google Cloud with features developed by Google.
iPhone 15 has 1mm titanium coating on its aluminum frame. $30 worth. 😂

Reactions: Harthag

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
iPhone 15 has 1mm titanium coating on its aluminum frame. $30 worth. 😂

Watch jerryrigeverything's video showing how much titanium Apple uses in the 15Pro/ProMax compared to the S24Ultra. Not only does Apple use more titanium, Apple uses grade 5 where Samsung uses grade 2.. If Apple uses $30 worth, Samsung uses $15 or less..

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
Iphone at this point is just an appliance like a toyota camry. Sure there will be people swayed to palisade and telluride for its’ to the face tech, but people in the know will keep buying highlanders.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Agreed. I want to see a better Apple product. But, I’ve grown disillusioned over the past 2 years. The OS is stagnant and limiting, yet major bugs still persist. The hardware is generally pretty good, but Apple battery life doesn’t maintain the same competitive edge it once did. Really, the only thing that keeps me is that my kids have Apple devices and it would be a pain to be the odd man out with Android. But if that’s the only reason to stay, I find that embarrassing for a company the size of Apple.
I'm curious, do you upgrade every year?

Because i'm a 2 year (minimum) upgrader & am completely fine with Apple's improvements.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
AI to power this (language models/LLM) takes year+ to develop. Apple is playing catch up to Google, their are powering much of Samsung AI features. OpenAI is miles ahead. iOS 18 is the earliest we could see some advancement in this space.
Apple implements a game changing feature when it’s ready to be released and doesn’t throw the kitchen sink of hardware and software so they mix like oil and water as Samsung does, in my opinion.

Cyberjunk

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2021
samsung are like well release new tech as soon as its works and if buggy fix later.
Apple are like well release new tech when we know it works on our hardware and not before.
apple are boring cause they make apps/phone to work with its intended function and they are people pleasers.

To me apple are like we`ll manage the function of the phone and you can change the basic with some some level of adjustment.
Samsung are like you managed the function yourself and work out what you want the phone to do.
Samsung have a ridiculous amount of settings for every function which makes for a very in depth level of customization but can also be just way to much.
Many people just want to change a few bits here and there and have it work year in year out without being to buggy over time.
For context i do have 24 ultra .
It is an amazing piece of hardware but again android is android love it or hate it.

Reactions: Rugalfury12

LionTeeth

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2022
…nothing? They just released the 15 pro line. In 5 years these phones will be worth three times as much as whatever Samsung you mentioned (I’ve already forgotten, like most of the tech world has). In 5 years time these phones will still work and support the current OS. And they’ll still take great photos.

Not sure I understand the question. It’s like asking “how is Ronaldo going to compete against the Michigan state guy that just got drafted”

M2MaxMan

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2023
Simple, Apple marketing department is going the drawing board to come up with a different product just like what Chevrolet do to their Corvettes!!!

Hkfan45

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2021
Iphone at this point is just an appliance like a toyota camry. Sure there will be people swayed to palisade and telluride for its’ to the face tech, but people in the know will keep buying highlanders.
Not sure your point. New grand highlander has more issues than the palisade. And quality is awful.

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
Given that most of the S24 Ultra's maquis AI features have filtered down to last years (cheaper) S23 Ultra, we are left with a phone that does 3 things over last years' model: buffs the stats beyond what anybody will notice, has slightly sharper corners and the screen reflects less light. That last one is cool but not worth the outlay over last years' model.

So what have Apple got to do? Remember to fit an anti-reflective coating on the iPhone 16 line and call it a day?

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
Not sure your point. New grand highlander has more issues than the palisade. And quality is awful.
It is easy - just don’t buy first year thing and a new model. Grand highlander is not a highlander.

There is nothing in korean cars to justify 45-55k price tag with their nightshade editions. In the rest if the world, korean cars are a nice sensible choice with 3/4 of Toyota’s reliability for a 20-30% discount. I would suggest telluride/palisade for 30-35K, but for 40-55k we have better options.

NeonNights

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2022
Apple has become complacent with software though...devoting more time developing new emojis instead of fixing bugs.

I rather like Samsung's OneUI on my previous Note devices and current Fold5.

• Sad
Reactions: I7guy

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
Apple has become complacent with software though...devoting more time developing new emojis instead of fixing bugs.

I rather like Samsung's OneUI on my previous Note devices and current Fold5.
You'd never catch me running an OS from such an anticompetivie surveillance capitalist. Morally and on princple it feels so yucky to use google products.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I’ve always seen Samsung devices as great hardware, terrible software. An S24 ultra running iOS would be amazing.
Well, the apple SOC is generally superior, but I agree somewhat. I also don't like sharp edged corners, so there is that.

But yes, as with almost all modern devices - it's the software!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.