Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Nov 28, 2010
located
But on iOS it doesn't matter since they are all stored in the same place anyways.

And where is that?

I would really like to know how many duplicates of files I have due to opening them in this or that application, since it is a SEND TO command rather than an OPEN IN command.

bgro

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2010
South Florida
It may not be necessary but neither are iOS 8's Extensions/Keyboards etc. but people will still appreciate & use those features. In regards to a file manager, iOS should have an easy way to view/organize your 'files' (I'm not talking about OS files/Preference Files etc). If you ever work on a project with different file types, you know how hard it is to get bird's eye-view of your project in iOS.

One of the most annoying thing in iOS is when you're in Mail, writing an e-mail and want to attach a PDF or Pages Document. Currently, there's no intuitive way to do this. Actually there is no intuitive way to even attach Photos/Video (current method is not obvious).

Completely agree with this. Maybe iCloud Drive will be accessible from within Mail allowing us to attach a file to an email?

Stuke00

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Collinsville,IL
And where is that?

I would really like to know how many duplicates of files I have due to opening them in this or that application, since it is a SEND TO command rather than an OPEN IN command.

Within the documents directory of the app. If you have duplicate documents, then it sounds like you have duplicate apps achieving the same purpose. iCloud Drive should alleviate a lot of this so you can have 1 place to store all your documents that any app can access.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Within the documents directory of the app. If you have duplicate documents, then it sounds like you have duplicate apps achieving the same purpose. iCloud Drive should alleviate a lot of this so you can have 1 place to store all your documents that any app can access.

I am no developer, thus no iOS 8 yet. One day perhaps, but my iPhone 5s might not be able to handle it due to being just a dual core phone unlike those Android hard core phones.

That method of opening a document in another app, that app copying that document for its own purposes, then deleting the original document, is quite cumbersome, but then again, the iPhone was made easy.

Sorry, a bit pissed off right now, nothing to do with you, this board, anything Apple, just those bloody piss tourists.

CutterSlade

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2014
Istanbul, Turkey
The only benefit is for people to try to things the way they do it on a different platform. It's not necessary.
You clearly have absolutely no idea about what a file manager is and what it is used for, so it's no surprise that you think that it's not necessary.

----------

Hey guys I don't mean to sound like a newb, but what is benefit of a file manager? Why do people say iPhones need one? What are circumstances where I would need one?
Any proper OS needs a file manager and it's purpose is, as its name suggests "managing files stored in the device".

In the current version of iOS, there isn't a common place where apps can write to or read from, so there is 0 data sharing between different apps.

For example you can't download a file, edit it with another app, and then send it as an attachment via email or open up in another app without having a separate copy of it in each app you used in the process. Also, since the apps themselves need to support the "open in..." feature in order to be able to send files to another apps (which should also have been registered as an app that can open that file in the OS), in some cases you simply can't transfer a file between apps without the help of another app such as Documents or GoodReader that can act as a hub.

----------

I'm pointing out that the competition can't do this natively either so what are you comparing iOS to? a desktop PC?

Does he need to compare it with another platform? Do you think that a file manager is a feature that's so advanced that only desktop platforms can handle it?

Android's file manager options are not perfect either but at least they solve some of the problems. It's certainly better than nothing.

----------

iCloud Drive should alleviate a lot of this so you can have 1 place to store all your documents that any app can access.

Well, since it will only work for things uploaded to the Cloud, it won't alleviate much. The feature Apple added in 8.0 to solve the file sharing issue is the Extensibility API. But as always, it will be up to devs to support it so it won't work in all apps. But considering that Apple will never add a file manager to the OS, this will be the closest thing we'll have to a file manager.

Last edited:

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
If the PDF resides in Dropbox, you have to open it in Dropbox, then open it in iBooks or Adobe Reader, then send it to Mail.

No, that's not how it works but I don't want to appear argumentative so I'll simply offer the advice that when making a point you should have your ducks in a row. If you are a DropBox user, grab their app and give it a try. You'll find it different that what you describe.

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010
Documents ought to be handled exactly like photos and videos already are.

Somebody decided grandma would get confused if there was a central repository for documents, like there is photos, so instead we are left with sandboxed apps, all with their own versions of the same document.

Confusing and stupid design.

mlody

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
You are stating you don't want to use 3rd party applications to accomplish these tasks. I'm pointing out that the competition can't do this natively either so what are you comparing iOS to? a desktop PC?

Windows Phone has already file manager (called Files).
http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/files/762e837f-461d-4847-8399-3526f54fc25e

It would not kill Apple to offer something like that too especially that they are thinking more seriously about enterprise customers. (IBM deal).

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
No, that's not how it works but I don't want to appear argumentative so I'll simply offer the advice that when making a point you should have your ducks in a row. If you are a DropBox user, grab their app and give it a try. You'll find it different that what you describe.
My ducks are fine, thanks for asking. I routinely use Dropbox, Adobe Reader and Mail on iOS devices and send PDFs in emails daily, so I don't have to "try" anything. I know with certainty that that is exactly how it works. If you have an alternate method that you've tested and proven, you are welcome to share it. If you make claims, you should be prepared to back them up with proof, rather than simply taking an opposing position without presenting facts.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
Any proper OS needs a file manager

Nope. And since nobody has mentioned it I'll point out that a file manager goes against the iOS security model. I suggest you and others brush up on Apple's iOS Security white paper to ensure you understand what you're asking for and why Apple has consciously chosen to not provide it.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Nope. And since nobody has mentioned it I'll point out that a file manager goes against the iOS security model. I suggest you and others brush up on Apple's iOS Security white paper to ensure you understand what you're asking for and why Apple has consciously chosen to not provide it.
Apple's reasons for their decision not to make the file system accessible have been well known for years. The point is that having an accessible file system would be a benefit to many user operations. The implementation would require security safeguards, to be sure, but it is achievable.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Windows Phone has already file manager (called Files).
http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/files/762e837f-461d-4847-8399-3526f54fc25e

It would not kill Apple to offer something like that too especially that they are thinking more seriously about enterprise customers. (IBM deal).

I just don't see Apple doing a file manager. Everything has been app centric in iOS so far and even iCloud drive is building on that idea.

I am aware that Windows mobile does have a file manager but I didn't include it in the argument because Windows mobile is sorta irrelevant these days compared to iOS vs Android.

Zcott

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2009
Belfast, Ireland
Apple's workflow is app -> file and not file -> app like everyone is used to working. And they're not turning around on this. Files are messy.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
So although iBooks is an Apple app, and therefore not technically 3rd party, it still requires using another app just to get the PDF attached to an email message, instead of doing it directly from the mail app. If the PDF resides in Dropbox, you have to open it in Dropbox, then open it in iBooks or Adobe Reader, then send it to Mail. Try doing the same thing with a Word or Excel document.

The point is, you don't have to jump through those convoluted hoops if you have a file system that you can browse and access a file directly.

Gotta agree here. Mail attachments are simply lame on an iPad. I don't believe there are a large amount of tasks that would be an any easier with a file manager but the few that exist are BIG items. Like the email attachment one.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
Files = information = the most important part of the OS that matters to users.

A file manager gives you full control and power of those files.

Plus I prefer to launch applications from the file, i.e. click a file app launches.

Instead of iOS' way of launching apps for a file.

If you have files well organised, you'll have a much better control and overview of your information with a file manager. Plus, you can always just select them all and back them up, or move them.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Apple's workflow is app -> file and not file -> app like everyone is used to working. And they're not turning around on this. Files are messy.

How are files messy? You know if you open Pages on iOS, you have a grid of files (that can be organized into folders)? You can't avoid the files/folders metaphor - it's as simple as it gets.

Possible Solution: Apple keeps the App centric mentality for opening files AND Apple allows a viewer for the user-created documents. This viewer and can allow you to make smart folders to organize files.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
How are files messy? You know if you open Pages on iOS, you have a grid of files (that can be organized into folders)? You can't avoid the files/folders metaphor - it's as simple as it gets.

Possible Solution: Apple keeps the App centric mentality for opening files AND Apple allows a viewer for the user-created documents. This viewer and can allow you to make smart folders to organize files.

Agreed!

If you're a messy person, you'll make a mess out of anything.

Zcott

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2009
Belfast, Ireland

Still messy. You create a document, go into your hypothetical file manager, move it, then the app doesn't know where it is and you can't remember where it is.

Instead, all apps are like silos and your app holds your documents. Apps declare what files they can open and so only those apps can see only those files.

And if necessary, a file picker (sorted by app) for emailing within an email thread.

Oh, and files aren't messy? Surely all of us know at least one person whose desktop is completely littered with documents, pictures, apps, videos...

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Still messy. You create a document, go into your hypothetical file manager, move it, then the app doesn't know where it is and you can't remember where it is.

Instead, all apps are like silos and your app holds your documents. Apps declare what files they can open and so only those apps can see only those files.

And if necessary, a file picker (sorted by app) for emailing within an email thread.

Oh, and files aren't messy? Surely all of us know at least one person whose desktop is completely littered with documents, pictures, apps, videos...

You didn't read what I wrote - I said "Smart Folders". Smart Folders don't physically move files. There are kept intact in the original places.

People are failing to realize Apple's current way and a 'file manager' are not mutually exclusive.

Monique1

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2014
I really can't believe the hypocritical arguments here against a File Manager in iOS. Most of you are acting on files/documents every day but for some reason, because the device is a tablet or phone you believe we must change our workflows when doing the exact same work.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
I really can't believe the hypocritical arguments here against a File Manager in iOS. Most of you are acting on files/documents every day but for some reason, because the device is a tablet or phone you believe we must change our workflows when doing the exact same work.

Haha that's what I said earlier in this thread. I'm all for innovation and changing how we work but as long as we are still dealing with files, then a file manager makes the most sense. When we no longer have files, then not having a file manager makes sense.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i am so confused by apples whole approach, i dont even understand what happens with a file once its opened by an app. does every app have its own copy? what if i delete it from one app? will it be deleted everywhere? what happens if i change it in one app? will it be changed in every app? how am i supposed to know if a certain app can open a certain file? and WHERE IS THE ORIGINAL FILE???

i dont even need a "file system", just an app that has folders called "documents" "movies" or "images" ... where i can put certain file of the same project (like dropbox). how easy it would be to click on a damn file and than be asked "open with ...." and a overview of all apps that can open it.

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Imagine using OSX or Windows without a file manager.

Why?

Those are completely different devices for completely different tasks. How you use/interact with a desktop machine doesn't inform how you use/interact with a handheld mobile device such as a phone (something which Microsoft has yet to figure out).

HarryWarden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
I really wish Apple would at least introduce a rudimentary file system like on Android where it would be possible to simply drag and drop let's say a movie from your computer to the iPad without having to first transfer it to iTunes and then sync. That adds an unnecessary step and makes one not even want to bother doing it because of the added time it takes for no added benefit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.