Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Why?

Those are completely different devices for completely different tasks. How you use/interact with a desktop machine doesn't inform how you use/interact with a handheld mobile device such as a phone (something which Microsoft has yet to figure out).

You're right about "completely different devices for completely different tasks" but that has nothing to do with a File Manager. File managing isn't a task - it's part of organizing.

People with iPads (who use iWork or Garageband/iMovie) are doing tasks that still require organizing. Organizing by App isn't ideal when dealing with different file types.

Personally, on my iPad, I would like to have all my documents organized by year & then by classes (ex. Econ, Pop Culture, Film Studies). However, those documents are mixed media (ex. RTF file, Pages Document, PDF) and I cannot do that. It is frustrating.

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010
Huh? You don't need to move it. Keep one file folder, just like what exactly is done with photos and videos already. The way that is handled isn't messy.

Siloed apps,with multiple versions of the same file that don't talk to each other is messy. Workarounds to add files to existing emails is messy.

Still messy. You create a document, go into your hypothetical file manager, move it, then the app doesn't know where it is and you can't remember where it is.

Instead, all apps are like silos and your app holds your documents. Apps declare what files they can open and so only those apps can see only those files.

And if necessary, a file picker (sorted by app) for emailing within an email thread.

Oh, and files aren't messy? Surely all of us know at least one person whose desktop is completely littered with documents, pictures, apps, videos...

Monique1

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2014
Why?

Those are completely different devices for completely different tasks. How you use/interact with a desktop machine doesn't inform how you use/interact with a handheld mobile device such as a phone (something which Microsoft has yet to figure out).

LOL! Then somebody needs to tell Apple that iWork should be confined to OSX only. And also Microsoft who had the audacity to create iOS versions of office.

And speaking of MS... they *did* figure it out. They are using their desktop OS on their tablet. (Unlike Apple who insists the iPad should operate just like a cell phone except it can't make calls :eek:).

P.S. Que the MS bashers. :)

sddabrow

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2011
I can't believe the number of people that are going against having a file system either.. unbelievable. Even if they never introduce a file system, they need better mail management... maybe create a file system within the Mail app?

Have you ever received two attachments from separate contacts and wanted to compose a new email to a new contact with those two attachments? Can't do that in iOS, but you could with a file management system of sorts.

I run into this daily for work - I'm in sales and constantly receiving presentations and sending them to customers while on the road. You can't simply forward the emails because there is usually an existing email trail. I can go back and delete the existing email trail and just keep the attachment, but that is a real PITA.

I would like to see an update to mail in regards to file attachments. Really one of my only reason for trying out Android, as this is managed nicely in the Android GMAIL app.

SanjeevRana

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2011
Don't want to quote anyone but saw there was mention of Android not having a native file manager as well, hence wanted to comment that Starting Kitkat (4.4), there is storage framework which is native to the OS.

Even if you don't have any 3rd-party app installed, when you click a file browse button from the browser you get treated to a UI for moving around and selecting your file.

Here is the link if someone wants to read -> https://developer.android.com/guide/topics/providers/document-provider.html

Monique1

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2014
Don't want to quote anyone but saw there was mention of Android not having a native file manager as well, hence wanted to comment that Starting Kitkat (4.4), there is storage framework which is native to the OS.
The more I get frustrated with iOS on an iPad, the more I'm convinced MS got it right. And as each iteration of their hardware catches up to the demands of Win8 it gets even more appealing to me. But again, too bad it's Windows. The capabilities of the iPad has outgrown iOS. Apps are having to be "dumbed down" just to exist on it.

This keeps me wondering about Apple's rumored 12 inch "something". (But I'll believe it when I see it).

Norbury

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Another time I would really like a file manager on iOS is when uploading files to the web - whether photos or something else. There is commonly a "browse" button on web forms and using it in iOS is a no go.

Zcott

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2009
Belfast, Ireland
Another time I would really like a file manager on iOS is when uploading files to the web - whether photos or something else. There is commonly a "browse" button on web forms and using it in iOS is a no go.

A solution to this would be either select the app then the file, or a smart library only accessible through a picker like the current photos one.

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
Yes, I did forget that tag. Why the **** should I point it out every time. I could get a warning for that. At least on this forsaken message board.

Because there are plenty of clueless people out there that spout this nonsense and mean it. This board has plenty of them. So it's kinda hard to distinguish the two.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Hey guys I don't mean to sound like a newb, but what is benefit of a file manager? Why do people say iPhones need one? What are circumstances where I would need one?

To the average user there isn't one. They aren't going to playing with files directly anyway.

To the uber geeks that hang out around here, frankly they really don't need it either. they could get along just fine without it. But it peeves them that they don't have it because they want it, thus they NEED it.

----------

It may not be necessary but neither are iOS 8's Extensions/Keyboards etc. but people will still appreciate & use those features.

We haven't seen these features in action to really know how useful they are or are not. But I can think of one use that many will appreciate and, if it is added by the developers, is the ability to share to more than just Facebook and twitter. Yes Apple could go to the fuss of coding in pinterest, instagram etc but via extensions it can be added quicker when some new social media comes out. Without having to wait for Apple.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
To the average user there isn't one. They aren't going to playing with files directly anyway.
That is false. Average users have need to attach Word docs, Excel spreadsheets and other documents to emails. Many also have need to upload files to websites, such as submitting resumes, etc. You don't have to be a "geek" to benefit from the availability of a user-accessible file system.

Parthsdx

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2014
Not sure if anybody in this thread knows about this but Apple solved the file management problem of iOS in iOS 8 with document provider extension + document picker.

As most of you know, apple added iCloud Drive in iOS 8 which allows apps with document picker to have access to other app's iCloud folder and let the app import the files or edit and save back to that same file. But sometimes people don't want the files to be uploaded to iCloud. Some want to use other storage providers like dropbox, onedrive etc and some want their files kept locally only.
For that Apple added Document Provider Extension which just like iCloud Drive, allows any app (cloud storage like dropbox or local storage like goodreader) have its files accessed by other apps which support document picker.
(Example Image from WWDC session below)

So for example; lets say you have 'Goodreader' app where you store and view all kinds of files and documents.
Previously if you want to edit a document stored on goodreader on other apps like numbers for example you would have to use 'open in' to open that file in numbers, edit it, and use 'open in' again to put it back into goodreader. This method is very messy and it creates multiple copies of the same file inside different apps.
In iOS 8 all you have to do is open numbers, select goodreader in document picker and open the file, edit it and save it back to the same file which is inside the goodreader app. Thats it. No copied created and no mess.
So you can choose any app to be your central hub for storing all your files.

For some reasons Apple did not add document picker in mail app so you cannot add attachments directly from the mail app. But since third party apps can, app like gmail can pick up attachments from other apps.

Of course for all of this to work the apps need to implement the extension.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Hey guys I don't mean to sound like a newb, but what is benefit of a file manager? Why do people say iPhones need one? What are circumstances where I would need one?

WHy haven't you responded to your own thread, was this made just to see how many hits you get :p

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
So you can manage files. For me, it is a requirement. Hence I won't be owning another iPhone until iOS comes with one. I want the freedom to actually use my device, not let the device decide what I can and can't do.

brilliantthings

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2011
Not sure if anybody in this thread knows about this but Apple solved the file management problem of iOS in iOS 8 with document provider extension + document picker.

That's great. So problem solved. An app like Goodreader can act as the file manager and you can access its files from any app that supports document picker.

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
That's great. So problem solved. An app like Goodreader can act as the file manager and you can access its files from any app that supports document picker.

Not problem solved.that is still relying on a 3rd party app to handle file access and then you still ahve to hope you can open an app and it will support your file then you save it and wonder where is it saved back to. locally, the 3rd party app or where?

----------

Having a file manager would add an unnecessary complexity for a dumb customer.

ridiculous answer, we should not stop innovation and development because there are people who do not understand how things work. We should push progress and help teach people how to use a file system.

Though lets be honest, most people who use technology tend to use a laptop or have experience one or are undergoing training using one. They use file managers.

----------

I had the chance to have work outfitted with iPad's last year but had to reject the proposal due to no file management system which makes storing, editing and forwarding documents very non user friendly.

it is the greatest weakness of iOS and is very easily implemented. OSX does it so simply and it could be carried over to iOS with no effort at all, but Apple is still stuck in the mentality that the iPhone and iPad are merely consumption tools and not really for productivity. This will need to be changed drastically if they are to truly capture enterprise and make real progress with IBM.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
That is false. Average users have need to attach Word docs, Excel spreadsheets and other documents to emails. Many also have need to upload files to websites, such as submitting resumes, etc. You don't have to be a "geek" to benefit from the availability of a user-accessible file system.

You don't need a file system for that, especially a user accessible one. You just need a mail app that can locate the files. Which the ios one can, because your word app can send the file to mail. Yes it might be nice if one could do it from mail, select several documents etc but how often is the average user really needing to send several documents of different types from a tablet. Users with that kind of need typical use a computer anyway.

And who knows what will happen in ios 8 with mail, extensions, etc.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
People with iPads (who use iWork or Garageband/iMovie) are doing tasks that still require organizing. Organizing by App isn't ideal when dealing with different file types.

Not ideal FOR YOU. But you are not everyone. Your needs and opinions are not universal.

The attitude that "What i want is how things must be done for everyone" is the major hubris of boards like this. Thousands, perhaps even millions, of users have no issue with how iOS handles files. Likely because they aren't trying to treat their iPhones and iPads as computers. Just as Apple clearly doesn't. These devices aren't nearly powerful enough to be a full computer replacement for everyone. stop acting like they are. Figure out if you need a device or a computer and get what you really need, not what looks sexy and cool.

----------

And speaking of MS... they *did* figure it out. They are using their desktop OS on their tablet.

which would be fine, if they had done it well. They haven't really. Even diehard MS fans have admitted this.

----------

So you can manage files. For me, it is a requirement. Hence I won't be owning another iPhone until iOS comes with one. I want the freedom to actually use my device, not let the device decide what I can and can't do.

And that is the correct attitude to have. You researched, you learned what the system can and can't do. You decided it doesn't fit your needs, so you didn't get it.

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
You don't need a file system for that, especially a user accessible one. You just need a mail app that can locate the files. Which the ios one can, because your word app can send the file to mail. Yes it might be nice if one could do it from mail, select several documents etc but how often is the average user really needing to send several documents of different types from a tablet. Users with that kind of need typical use a computer anyway.

And who knows what will happen in ios 8 with mail, extensions, etc.

Exactly and there's a simple work around too:

paste email into blank note

write email text in note.

Open file in PDF viewer or equivalent.

Email file.

Paste note into email.

Cut destination email from pasted note to paste into email destination.

Send.

It sounds like a lot of steps but it's no different from composing an email in a text editor and doing the same thing natively with Mail on your Mac.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Exactly and there's a simple work around too:

paste email into blank note

write email text in note.

Open file in PDF viewer or equivalent.

Email file.

Paste note into email.

Cut destination email from pasted note to paste into email destination.

Send.

It sounds like a lot of steps but it's no different from composing an email in a text editor and doing the same thing natively with Mail on your Mac.

What about if I want to reply to an email and add an attachment?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.