Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
I'd really like to grab one for my mom for christmas. I'm looking to spend between $100 and $150 for one with around a 7" screen. Which is the best? I'm having a tough time finding reviews...

VanMac

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2005
Rampaging Tokyo
Digital Picture Frame

Hey All.

Anyone have any good recommendations for digital picture frames?

Wanted to get a couple as gifts for parents and relatives and preload it with some digital pictures.

Nothing too pricey....under $200/each would be good. Purchasing online is OK as long as they ship to Canada in time for Christmas.

Thanks in advance

cgbeeson

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2006
Digital Picture Frames

I've just recently purchased two different 7" frames. Neither one has the quality I expected. One was purchased at Target for about $100, no internal memory. Then second one purchased for about $89, with a little internal memory. With the cost of the memory card these can be pricey for what they are. But the grandparents aren't picky and will likely enjoy them nonetheless. Personally, I would look for better quality!

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
If you can find an old iBook, you can build your own with enough processing power to run an OS and then start a slideshow for the pictures.

I think that's what I'll end up doing when my old iBook bites the dust.

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs
Two years ago this Christmas, we bought my mom a Ceiva Digital Picture frame. The backlight went out sometime last fall but the customer service was responsive and had sent her a new or fixed frame fairly promptly.

The main reason to go with Ceiva for us was the fact that we live in Texas while my mom is in Wisconsin. With the birth of our daughter (her first grandchild) we wanted an easy way to get photos there and since we are mostly digital, it was an easy way to get her new pictures without her having to do a single thing. The frame is plugged into the phone jack and dials out in the middle of the night to fetch new photos that I upload when I remember to do it.

If you live a great distance from your mom you can set it up while you are there and assign it an email address that you can give to anyone who you want to be able to load photos to the frame. If you use iPhoto all you have to do is select the photos and email them to the frame. For windows users there is an application from Ceiva to make the process easier although I've never used it.

uberfoto

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2006
I had never heard of the Ceiva. THAT is cool. The one year subscription is $100 though. They sure charge a lot to play "host"

Moof1904

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2004
I just bought a 7" TruTech from Target for $59 (Black Friday purchase). I'm pleased with the price and I think for what the grandparents need, it's quite enough, but overall, the picture quality doesn't blow me away.

Plus, I can't seem to figure out the ideal image resolution for making an image that completely fills the screen. According to the literature, the resolution is 480x234, but an image that size is inset from all four edges of the screen. I know that the pixels go all the way to the edge of the panel because it's possible to make an image so large that scales to fill all of the pixels along a single axis. I just can seem to find an image size that exactly fills the screen.

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs
uberfoto said:
I had never heard of the Ceiva. THAT is cool. The one year subscription is $100 though. They sure charge a lot to play "host"

Yeah, the subscription sucks a bit but for the situation we're in with one grandchild and the second on the way it's nice to have a simple way to get new pictures to my mother when we want to without having to get her to a website. We still have a website with every photo we've taken of our daughter but it's nice to have a simple way to get the "best of" to my mom.

Of course my wife and I pay the subscription fee as part of Mother's Day, Birthday, and Christmas.

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Thanks for all the feedback, guys! The CEIVA sounds pretty cool, but i'm just looking for a standard,7inch screen... no phone dialing :)

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
If you can find an old iBook, you can build your own with enough processing power to run an OS and then start a slideshow for the pictures.

I think that's what I'll end up doing when my old iBook bites the dust.
wouldn't that just look like an iBook on a table? or would reassemble the parts? that sounds interesting.

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
Hey All.

Anyone have any good recommendations for digital picture frames?

Wanted to get a couple as gifts for parents and relatives and preload it with some digital pictures.

Nothing too pricey....under $200/each would be good. Purchasing online is OK as long as they ship to Canada in time for Christmas.

Thanks in advance

I noticed a couple of sub-$200 examples in the Sunday Newspaper advertisements yesterday - - - its a subject that I've been thinking about ofr the same reason.

I haven't started to do any serious research on the subject yet, but I'm interested as well (hopefully will get the chance to find some names to peruse reviews, etc).

-hh

mattjohn6

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2006
Which digital photo frame?

:confused: Hi, I'm looking to buy a digital photo frame as a christmas present. However, I don't know much about them. Does anybody know what size would be most appropriate? I don't want it to be too small. I am looking to spend around $200. Anyone have any suggestions on brands/sizes??

Dave00

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2003
Pittsburgh
Plus, I can't seem to figure out the ideal image resolution for making an image that completely fills the screen. According to the literature, the resolution is 480x234, but an image that size is inset from all four edges of the screen.
This is weird, because it does quote that resolution, but it's actually wrong. Some of the digits are mixed for the second number - I forget if it's 480x324 or 480x423 (I think the first one), but try that and your problem should be solved.

Dave

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
wouldn't that just look like an iBook on a table? or would reassemble the parts? that sounds interesting.

You can reassemble the parts into a normal, traditional looking picture frame.

Best of all, you can have complete control over what the frame looks like and what is displayed.

Patth9

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
What's the best digital picture frame?

I'm trying to understand how the digital picture frame works.

If I make a movie on Adobe Premiere and export it as a .mov QT, save it to a memory card that will work with which ever Photo Frame, will the movie work? I'm thinking of a slide show, but still a movie. How do I know what size memory card will work, there's been no mention that I can find regarding if a 2GB will work. Most I've seen that have internal memory is 128mb, is this large enough to show a QT movie? Or, does the photo frame make it's own slide show when the pictures are taken from the memory stick as single pictures?

I see this thread goes back to Nov. 06, but perhaps there are still some answers for me floating about.

Ha, I had this same idea in 2000, didn't know someone had actually produced these a while back. I knew it would be just a matter of time.

Thanks for any help,

Patt

masteroflondon

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2007
London, UK
I have two photo frames, a 7 inch Philips and a 10 inch Kodak. Both have excellent picture quality, the Philips is also solidly built. The Kodak feels like it's going to fall over with its flimsy leg, although I'm sure it won't.

When looking at frames to buy I found it very important to look at pixel density, as some have very poor screens and the pixels are very apparent. The two I have do not suffer this.

The Kodak is annoying because it cannot present the photo's in random order like the Philips. You quickly learn the exact sequence of photo's you'll get when you turn it on. This makes the timer useless as well, as you'll always have the exact same photo at any given time of day. The only way to see a variety of photos is to put lots on it and leave it on all the time, which is rather wasteful. How on earth it can not have a random mode is beyond me!

quest4apple

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2008
I received a Phillips frame as a gift, and it is great. Solid construction, bright display, and great resolution. The Phillips typically cost a little more, but I would recommend them to anyone.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I have never seen a digital picture frame with excellent image quality. For some, image quality is not a priority, but I want my photos to look great.

I would invest in flat screen TV and media extender (e.g., Apple TV, PS3). Many flat screen TVs have excellent image quality (many newer panels are 1080p with 10-bit color depth) and large dimension allows more people to view photos.

ScarletLetters

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2008
Save Photos to a Memory Card

I'm trying to understand how the digital picture frame works.

If I make a movie on Adobe Premiere and export it as a .mov QT, save it to a memory card that will work with which ever Photo Frame, will the movie work? I'm thinking of a slide show, but still a movie. How do I know what size memory card will work, there's been no mention that I can find regarding if a 2GB will work. Most I've seen that have internal memory is 128mb, is this large enough to show a QT movie? Or, does the photo frame make it's own slide show when the pictures are taken from the memory stick as single pictures?

I see this thread goes back to Nov. 06, but perhaps there are still some answers for me floating about.

Ha, I had this same idea in 2000, didn't know someone had actually produced these a while back. I knew it would be just a matter of time.

Thanks for any help,

Patt

I just purchased a Pandigital 8" frame and of course did not realize that I could not export photos from iphoto to the frame. I saw that you mentioned saving to a memory card. How do I do that? I appreciate any insight.

sendilkumar06

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2008
Frame change

I have Samsung spf 83v Digital Photo Frame. which has white frame.I would like to replace the white frame with Black. Can any one tell me, whether can we replace the frame, do we get seprate frame in the market. If so send me the link.

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
It has been a while since this thread has seen some activity. I'm back in the market for an 8 to 12 inch digital photo frame. What's hot these days?

masteroflondon

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2007
London, UK
I mentioned earlier having a Philips and a Kodak. The Philips is still great, but the Kodak is still rubbish. They never released an update for random picture order, and now the backlight has gone. Try and find, on their website, where to get warranty repairs! I found out eventually but haven't got around to sending it off yet, mostly because I don't feel I can be bothered with it. If I do get it fixed, I'll sell it on.

I have replaced it with the Sony 9", which is excellent. Looks much better, great display quality and has a timer AND random picture order. Or so it appears, only just got it so I haven't actually seen it being random yet!

flossom

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2008
Hi

I have purchased a jessops digital 8inch frame high resolution (800x600) as a christmas present for my father. He has a macbook and I wondered if it was compatible to run it from that via a usb as he has deleted all his cards and put the pics onto the mac. It states it supports jpeg, having a pc I dont know about macs.

I dont have much time to return the item so any help would be appreciated thanks,

Happy Holidays everyone!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.