Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cosmoza

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2007
Finland
I've always wanted an Cube. I remember when it was introduced, i handled quite a few of them (working in a warehouse at the time) but never had money to buy one. Now finally, 2010, i was given two by a co-student! Only one PSU working, but with help of a friend, we'll fix them by replacing some parts.

I've upgraded the HD, added an fan to the bottom, put 1.256MB RAM, Radeon 7500 (needed to mod the faceplate) and i should have an DVD-ROM drive to swap also later.

So happy! Now what, i guess i need to start looking for some older.. SE?

limesmoothie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
Edinburgh, Scotland
Am awaiting delivery of a Powerbook G4 12", which I snagged on eBay, my all time dream Mac.

Have got my ancient Bondi iMac up and running as a kitchen computer, streaming BBC 6 Music on iPlayer and Fliqlo screensaver :) Superb.

Next project is to find my Mac Classic in my Mum and Dad's attic and find a use for it. Rescued a G4 iMac from going in the skip at work :eek: and have it sitting on my desk.

Alongside my new stuff, MBP 13" and iPhone 3Gs, I'm living the dream.

(Maybe just an iPad and a 27" core i5 iMac to go).

max¥¥

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
Over there....
working ibook g3
preforma 630 dos compatible
g4 cube
any of the original powerbook's (older than g3)
mac plus without any power/sweep board problems

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
I want one of these, and will pay good money for one too!!:

20091103-!BeCIf(w!Wk~$(KGrHqEOKiUEq3cbggEmBK7iujeRjg~~_3.JPG

A CLEAR Macintosh Portable. Hard to find, prototype Mac Portable that was made for Apple's internal testing of the fitting of the components inside the case plastics. I saw one of these go for $3000 on eBay about a year ago!

applesupergeek

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
I've always wanted an Cube. I remember when it was introduced, i handled quite a few of them (working in a warehouse at the time) but never had money to buy one. Now finally, 2010, i was given two by a co-student! Only one PSU working, but with help of a friend, we'll fix them by replacing some parts.

I've upgraded the HD, added an fan to the bottom, put 1.256MB RAM, Radeon 7500 (needed to mod the faceplate) and i should have an DVD-ROM drive to swap also later.

So happy! Now what, i guess i need to start looking for some older.. SE?

Smoking set up! Great Job!:apple:

wanxvii

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2010
I want one of these, and will pay good money for one too!!:

20091103-!BeCIf(w!Wk~$(KGrHqEOKiUEq3cbggEmBK7iujeRjg~~_3.JPG

A CLEAR Macintosh Portable. Hard to find, prototype Mac Portable that was made for Apple's internal testing of the fitting of the components inside the case plastics. I saw one of these go for $3000 on eBay about a year ago!
wow never seen this mac before... what are the specs?

BarnacleGrim

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2010
Apple IIgs
Macintosh IIfx
Macintosh Quadra 700 (might just get one)
Clamshell iBook
iMac from the same period (Found an orphan iMac once. I don't remember what was wrong with it, but I regret not taking it home)
Power Macintosh 5500
Yosemite G3
All in one G3
Twentieth Anniversary Macintosh

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
wow never seen this mac before... what are the specs?
That is the Macintosh Portable. Released in 1989 (two years before the first PowerBook,) it has a 16 MHz 68000 processor, can take up to 9 MB of RAM, and came with a custom 20 MB SCSI hard drive. (It's basically a slightly improved Macintosh SE in a barely-portable case.) It uses a large lead-acid battery that would run for up to 10 hours.

The one pictured happens to be one of Apple's common "clear prototypes". Apple would often mold the case plastics in clear plastic, so the engineers could see inside a completed unit to make sure everything fit the way it was supposed to. The clear prototypes are the rarest-of-the-rare for a given model. (Although some models seemed to have gotten a lot more clear models made than others. There seem to have been lots of clear SE's made, but not many clear Portables.)

Love the Sage one - saw one at a recycler's but it was trashed... :(

Yeah, the Sage was always my favorite color iMac, too. I really need to get one. (I have an original 233 MHz Bondi, plus a last-generation 600 MHz Graphite.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.