Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which rMB CPU are you getting?

• Total voters

Jobsian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
There seems to be some apprehension about the Intel Core M in this machine, hopefully unfounded. I'm guessing a higher propensity of 1.3GHz units sold, just intrigued as to the breakdown here.

KrisLord

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2008
Northumberland, UK
The price differential between the models is higher than I can justify for only a small increase in MHz, especially when they can all turbo up when needed.

It will be interesting to see how they differ when benchmarked - I'm interested more in real world benchmarks from anantech rather than a quick geek bench. I want to see how the thermal limits of th chassis impact it.

This will be a secondary device, with any heavy lifting being done by a quad core mini.

pasadena

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
Seattle, WA
I'm waiting for the real-life reviews, in terms of performance of the 1.1, and impact of the 1.3 on battery life and heat. I will choose between the base model and the 1.3 based on these reviews, and the price of the upgrade.

I most probably won't go for the 1.2, simply because I don't need the 512Gb of disk, so the $300 difference is too much for what it'd get me.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
I'm going for 1.3GHz. Not because I'm worried about performance, but because I'm already going for the 512GB SSD and this will be my only Mac.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
I'm waiting for the real-life reviews, in terms of performance of the 1.1, and impact of the 1.3 on battery life and heat. I will choose between the base model and the 1.3 based on these reviews, and the price of the upgrade.

I most probably won't go for the 1.2, simply because I don't need the 512Gb of disk, so the $300 difference is too much for what it'd get me.

I'd be surprised if you could get the 1.3GHz option without the 512G SSD. I wish they offered a 1T SSD option, but that makes it too close to the MBPs.

I expect the 1.3GHz version to be $100 more than the 1.2GHz version (I think I'd pay a maximum of $200 more for it).

I must admit that I find it impressive that the base model has 8G of RAM and a 256G SSD.

squirrrl

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2013
San Diego, CA
I'm going for 1.3GHz. Not because I'm worried about performance, but because I'm already going for the 512GB SSD and this will be my only Mac.

The 512GB Macbook will be 1.2GHz standard. Both the 256GB and 512GB versions will be upgradable to 1.3GHz.

http://www.apple.com/macbook/specs/

I'm waiting to see how much extra it is. I have a feeling it will be $200 extra and we'll have to wait on the benchmarks to see if that's worth the extra 0.5GHz in turbo. I, however will likely not go for the upgrade unless it is $100 extra, but I doubt they would price it that way though I guess it is possible.

The extra $300 between the 1.1GHz/256GB version and the 1.2GHz/512GB version may be $200 for memory and $100 for extra 0.1GHz? So maybe $200 extra for 1.1GHz mac and $100 extra for 1.2GHz mac to upgrade to 1.3GHz?

I dunno.. just trying to game it out. I guess we'll find out in a few weeks.

EDIT: Just looked at macbook air and to get from 256 to 512GB storage, it's an extra $300... So in inflated Apple pricing, between the 1.1 and 1.2, they are throwing in that 0.1GHz for free with your memory upgrade.

consumeritis

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2015
I am thinking about the 512Gb model, which means 1.2GHz. I need an upgrade from my 256Gb Air.

Once I have decided to buy something (only happens rarely!) I don't like waiting for the post, so it depends what they have in-store. If I have to wait an extra week for the BTO version then I won't bother with the 1.3GHz.

And if they've overclocked the 5Y71 rather than it being a custom part I think I would worry a little about the extra stress on the CPU.

Honestly I would have preferred if they'd announced the new MacBook the day it went on sale. This month of being under the marketers' spell - without ever seeing it for real! - just makes me feel weak-minded...

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
I am thinking about the 512Gb model, which means 1.2GHz. I need an upgrade from my 256Gb Air.

Once I have decided to buy something (only happens rarely!) I don't like waiting for the post, so it depends what they have in-store. If I have to wait an extra week for the BTO version then I won't bother with the 1.3GHz.

And if they've overclocked the 5Y71 rather than it being a custom part I think I would worry a little about the extra stress on the CPU.

Honestly I would have preferred if they'd announced the new MacBook the day it went on sale. This month of being under the marketers' spell - without ever seeing it for real! - just makes me feel weak-minded...

They don't need to overclock the 5y71 it's spec'd to 1.4

Soordhin

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2010
Berlin, Germany
Gonna get me the 1.3GHz 512GB variant, just dont know how many to replace my older MBAs. If they release a skylake version later during the year i probably gonna get that as well.

For my needs the MB is incredibly cheap, price is therefore no barrier.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
1.2 as I need the 512 SSD and will be upgrading to Skylake as soon as it`s available.

Q-6

Same here. The second version ought to be a massive improvement. I'm buying this first version for the compact size and retina display. I think the performance will be rather low but will be greatly improved when the Skylake model is released.

I'm hoping I can get a good resale value on this original model.

Alloy201

Suspended
Mar 13, 2015
I'm not quite sure if it's even worth going with the 1.3 option. Obviously all of us who are interested in purchasing the rMB will be using it for pretty much basic Internet usage. I'm not sure if the bump up from 1.2 to 1.3 will even be noticeable. I believe the rMB will test better than many expect and I think it's going to surprise people by how well it performs. It's no rMBP, but it will be plenty powerful enough for most Mac users.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
I'm not quite sure if it's even worth going with the 1.3 option. Obviously all of us who are interested in purchasing the rMB will be using it for pretty much basic Internet usage. I'm not sure if the bump up from 1.2 to 1.3 will even be noticeable. I believe the rMB will test better than many expect and I think it's going to surprise people by how well it performs. It's no rMBP, but it will be plenty powerful enough for most Mac users.

I just don't see how the GPU could be powerful enough to properly drive a retina display but I trust Apple optimized it and made it work well.

----------

Doesn't a higher clock mean more heat?

Possibly, but often the faster versions are run at a lower voltage which reduces the power consumption.

----------

I think the poll results, showing almost 50% for the 1.3GHz version, are not representative of what the general public will purchase.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
How much speed difference will you really see (real world activities) between the 1.1 and the 1.3? I suspect it may not be that noticeable.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
How much speed difference will you really see (real world activities) between the 1.1 and the 1.3? I suspect it may not be that noticeable.

That's about 20% which I think is rather significant. Most people say it won't be noticeable but I'm sure my MATLAB simulation software will be noticeably faster (20% reduction in the wait time ought to be easy to recognize...although I won't have both machines side by side).

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2012
I'm going for 1.1GHz/256GB. Since it'll be my secondary laptop. My main would be my current laptop; 15" MacBook Pro Retina (2.6GHz/ 500GB).

Nee412

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
Sunny England!
I'm more than likely going to get the higher stock configuration, so 1.2GHz.

I'm buying from another retailer, rather than directly from Apple so I'll only have the choice between the two stock options. I want to bring all my data on to the MacBook and reduce the amount of external HDs I use to one, for backups only. So I reckon I'll need the 512GB, and the small processor upgrade will be a plus.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009

Base speed isn't important but the turbo difference. 2.4 vs 2.9 is a significant boost. Added to that the core m now has a quicker reaction to boost up and down resulting in a snappy machine.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
If i get one it will be as a portable second system. Therefore, I will just go with the base 1.1 GHz. I doubt one would see much of a difference.

----------

1.2 as I need the 512 SSD and will be upgrading to Skylake as soon as it`s available.

Q-6

How much of a performance boost is Skylake supposed to bring?

Queen6

macrumors G4
How much of a performance boost is Skylake supposed to bring?

Skylake being a "tock" will bring a larger improvement, than Broadwell was to Haswell. From a lot I have read Skylake`s GPU will be a significant improvement over Broadwell, how much trickles down to the Core M will be interesting being the focus of the Y series CPU is energy efficiency.

If your wanting a number I would be guessing, equally I would expect 20% - 30% easy, more so for the high end Quad Core 17`s with Iris Pro.

The Bigger question is when will the new CPU`s be released, to me Intel will do it`s best to stick to it`a 12 month cycle, so approximately Q3 2015 possibly sooner depending on market drivers etc. and or internal dynamics at Intel.

Q-6

Last edited:

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Skylake being a "tock" will bring a larger improvement, than Broadwell was to Haswell. From a lot I have read Skylake`s GPU will be a significant improvement over Broadwell, how much trickles down to the Core M will be interesting being the focus of the Y series CPU is energy efficiency.

If your wanting a number I would be guessing, equally I would expect 20% - 30% easy, more so for the high end Quad Core 17`s with Iris Pro.

The Bigger question is when will the new CPU`s be released, to me Intel will do it`s best to stick to it`a 12 month cycle, so approximately Q3 2016 possibly sooner depending on market drivers etc. and or internal dynamics at Intel.

Q-6

Thank you.

I'm curious about their release schedule too. I've seen some road maps that said Skylake would be out at the end of 2015. It seems like the Broadwell/Skylake releases have meshed together.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.