Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
I've switched to OSX over the last two year after being happy with the iPhone and iPad, got MBA first and then replaced my work desktop win pc with a MBP in combination with a thunderbolt display. after a few days of changing habits I got very comfortable with it and don't want to go back.

I've kept my gaming PC that runs windows 7 and basically am glad that I can treat it like a huge iPad - no further interaction than clicking on the desktop shortcut icons.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
The IT guy said it was going to be from HP and 'sleek'. Other than that I don't known what it will be. Touch screen on a laptop seems ergonomically incorrect to me. Switching between keyboard, track pad and screen seems awkward. But I'm willing to give it a shot.

Got the work laptop and it is a HP Spectre xt. It seems like a nice computer. It is running Windows 8, so I am learning how to use that tonight. It does not have a touch screen. Maybe that will be an issue with 8 going forward, but for now it is okay. I have to get used to the track pad, which turns out to have a designated lower area that is the "right" click area. Now that I'm getting used to that, things are going better.

Would I get this over an Air for myself? No way. But is it a nice computer. Yes, it is. I'm lucky that my work went for something this good. Especially since travel is not a large part of my job and I will be using a desktop most of the time when I'm in the office.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
Never will I switch [back] to Windows for my personal computing needs.

I did however, have to use a Windows 7 machine in a class that I took last semester. I'm rather comfortable with computers so it wasn't difficult but I was always falling back on the habits that I developed for OS X when ever I was on the Windows machine and realized they didn't work haha!

afd

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2005
Scotland
I switched from an Amiga 1200 to a tangerine iMac in 1999, don't think it's likely I'll switch back...

Last edited:

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
I find Mac OS X and Windows equally as good. I'm in the minority and actually really, really like Windows 8. I also didn't mind Vista (didn't particularly like it, but didn't mind it). Windows 8 seems much snappier than Mac OS X Mountain Lion, but on the reverse side, I also really, really like Mission Control.

On the other hand, to get equally as good hardware as a MacBook Pro, you will pay just as much, if not sometimes more, for an equivalent PC.

I'm not getting a new PC anytime soon, but I could see myself going PC if it just so happens that I like a certain PC. The Thinkpad, Elitebook, Latitude, and high-end Sony laptops are all pretty solid choices.

Last edited:

afd

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2005
Scotland
I use XP at work and have windows 8 on virtual box on my iMac, not used it much, but from what i've seen I can't imagine wanting to use it voluntarily.

omenatarhuri

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2010
I agree with this. Linux with Gnome 3 is just about on par with OSX when it comes to a full featured, easy to use, and really quite slick interface. The only thing I'd ding it for is that it's still a little overly difficult to install programs if you're not grabbing it off a repository, or it's not packaged in a .deb file.

Plus Linux is still very, very weak when it comes to 3rd party support. It's better than it has been previously, but still doesn't offer up anywhere near the huge amount of choices you'd get on Windows or OSX. This is the one major reason why I ran back to Windows after my great nerd experiment about a month ago. I like the OS and all, but there are some programs I just can't live without.
Exactly my beef with Linux. Why use an OS that you can't use for that many things? It's not like one uses the OS in itself that much, the OS is just the platform.

I don't mind Linux as a development environment, but would definitely not want to use for fun.

Renzatic

Suspended
Agreed -- and glad to see another GNOME 3 fan! I see so much hate on the internet, and personally I don't get it. It's slick, smooth and easy-to-use.

I think it suffers from a combination of being a little too different than what came before, and "it's got touch stuff, therefore it sucks" syndrome.

If there's one thing I've learned over the years, it's that computer geeks are a weirdly conservative bunch. They're used to what they're used to, and if you make any changes to the things they're used to, they will scream bloody murder and declare it the worst thing to happen to humankind since World War II. It doesn't matter how much better, faster, or smoother it is. If it has even a little bit of a learning curve, they will not like it.

...though giving them the benefit of the doubt, Gnome 3 was pretty weak when it first came out. But now, it's one of the best windows GUIs I've used, and people are still talking about how much it sucks.

Renzatic

Suspended
Exactly my beef with Linux. Why use an OS that you can't use for that many things? It's not like one uses the OS in itself that much, the OS is just the platform.

I don't mind Linux as a development environment, but would definitely not want to use for fun.

Yup. It doesn't matter how stable or easy to use your OS is. It's still only as good as the 3rd party support makes it.

Like I wanted to go all Linux to do my modelling, textures, and everything, I could find a way to do it. Problem is, I'm forced to use GIMP to do my textures. As...eh...alright as it is, I'd have the choice between it and Photoshop if I were on Windows and OSX. That choice doesn't exist for me on Linux.

No matter how good, great, or awesome your OS is at doing things, it's only ever as strong as it's programs.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
I just installed again a Windows Vista for some stuff running better under Windows. Man, what a pain to switch language, install SP and patches ...

I like Win 7 and 8 though; but Mac will remain primary front end supported by a bunch of dedicated virtual server.

aarond12

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2002
Dallas, TX USA
If you want a game machine, get a Windows box and do NOTHING with it other than run your games. No Internet (except for multiplayer games), no nothing. Leave everything else to the Mac. This way your Windows machine doesn't get sullied with viruses so much. And if it does get screwed up, all you have to reinstall is the games you want to play.

Also be aware that the Air isn't a high-end gaming machine. Its built-in graphics aren't really designed for games. You're going to get better gaming performance (Windows or Mac) from a machine with a discrete graphics card.

iFarmer

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2012
I've been using Apple products since very young. Bought a Windows machine about 4 years ago to complement my Macbook Pro and allow me to game. All I have installed on the Windows machine is games; don't even have an internet browser installed as I'm terrified of viruses etc. Despite only having games installed on it and not using it very often, it seems like every time I turn it on it has trouble booting up or something goes wrong.

The positive side? I've learned ALL about the guts of computers, have replaced RAM/HD's/Graphics cards etc, which I never would have done with my Macbook Pro.

The downside? I've spent hours upon hours re-installing windows, replacing RAM/HD'S/Graphics cards etc, which I never would have done with my Macbook Pro ;]

Renzatic

Suspended
I've been using Apple products since very young. Bought a Windows machine about 4 years ago to complement my Macbook Pro and allow me to game. All I have installed on the Windows machine is games; don't even have an internet browser installed as I'm terrified of viruses etc. Despite only having games installed on it and not using it very often, it seems like every time I turn it on it has trouble booting up or something goes wrong.

The positive side? I've learned ALL about the guts of computers, have replaced RAM/HD's/Graphics cards etc, which I never would have done with my Macbook Pro.

The downside? I've spent hours upon hours re-installing windows, replacing RAM/HD'S/Graphics cards etc, which I never would have done with my Macbook Pro ;]

I see stories like this all the time on Mac forums, and I have to wonder...

...what are you people doing to your computers? I reinstall Windows once every 3 years or so, usually whenever a new version comes out. I never have trouble booting up, installing anything, haven't caught a virus since 2001 (and when I did, it was due to stupidity on my part), and experience BSOD's about once every 5 years. The major reason I've never made a mad dash for OSX is because I've never had many issues with Windows.

Granted, there are quite a few advantages OSX has over Windows. But from my experiences, stability isn't one of them.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK

...what are you people doing to your computers?

I often wonder the same thing. People here still act like Windows is the same as it was back in the 90s. It has certainly been a while since I've had to reinstall a Windows or Mac OS. All of my devices have had nothing but upgrade installs as well since I'm too lazy to start clean.

Gaming Rig - Ran XP, 7 and now 8. All upgrade installs. Still going strong. No virus problems.
Macbook Air - Ran Snow Leopard, Lion and now Mountain Lion. All upgrade installs. Still going strong. No virus problems.
iMac - Ran Panther. Now at Tiger. Still going strong (or would be if it wasn't for the lack of PPC support nowadays). No virus problems.
ThinkPad - Ran Ubuntu 9. Upgraded every release. Now at 12. Still going strong. No virus problems.

From the way people talk about Windows here, its like they deliberately run HolidayPhotos.exe just so they can be infected with a virus so they have to then re-install. I find it strange that people have so many problems with an OS that hasn't really been that much bother for me (with the exception of XP which did do this gradual slowdown thing. But an upgrade to 7 sorted it.)

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley

...what are you people doing to your computers? I reinstall Windows once every 3 years or so, usually whenever a new version comes out. I never have trouble booting up, installing anything, haven't caught a virus since 2001 (and when I did, it was due to stupidity on my part), and experience BSOD's about once every 5 years. The major reason I've never made a mad dash for OSX is because I've never had many issues with Windows.

Granted, there are quite a few advantages OSX has over Windows. But from my experiences, stability isn't one of them.

Your experience is flawed. Most servers in the world (which run 24/7/365) are running Linux/UNIX derivatives. As is Mac OS X (Darwin). Windows? As a server, it's a big joke.

Windows gets viruses (OS X doesn't because there are no "viruses") and many people run antivirus software. This slows down the system. Plus the inefficient filesystem (compared to ext4, HFS+, ZFS, etc.). Programs crash on Windows all the time. There's still a very old piece of garbage called BIOS. I only use Windows because I develop in Visual Studio (among other IDEs). But as my main OS? No thanks. *NIX all the way.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
I switch all the time. People told me that Macs are the easiest PC's to use but they just aren't.

They aren't hard by any means by not as easy as a windows 7 pc.

I think Macs are infinitely better, more stable, cheaper to update your OS, and retain value longer, and less hassle setting up, not to mention no need to search for anti virus software because viruses for Mac are so few and far between

Renzatic

Suspended
Your experience is flawed.

How could you call that a flawed experience? It works nearly perfectly for me, something must be wrong.

Most servers in the world (which run 24/7/365) are running Linux/UNIX derivatives. As is Mac OS X (Darwin). Windows? As a server, it's a big joke.

I don't think that has anything to do with stability as it does the fact that bare 'nix OSes can be pared down to incredibly small sizes. You don't need a GUI or any superfluous software to run an internet backbone. You just need a command line on an OS that's barely a few meg big.

It's the reason why you don't see many OSX servers. Why would they use it when they can use a barebones MACH or BSD that'll do the job with far less overhead and not cost them a dime?

Windows, like OSX, is too big for servers. That's why it's mostly used for office intranets and VM workstations.

Windows gets viruses (OS X doesn't because there are no "viruses") and many people run antivirus software. This slows down the system. Plus the inefficient filesystem (compared to ext4, HFS+, ZFS, etc.). Programs crash on Windows all the time. There's still a very old piece of garbage called BIOS. I only use Windows because I develop in Visual Studio (among other IDEs). But as my main OS? No thanks. *NIX all the way.

Viruses as per your definition don't even really exist in the Windows world anymore. If you do get a bug on a modern Windows machine, it's usually the same way you'd get a malware infection on OSX: either through social engineering, phishing schemes, or through a backdoor on some 3rd party program. If you want to surf the internet on a Windows machine, all you have to do is use an ad blocker, set some plugins to launch only on command, and apply a little common sense. You don't even have to use a 3rd party virus scanner anymore. MS' built in defender does the job just fine.

Drive by infections? They just don't happen anymore.

Okay. I expect someone to post up a bunch of links showing me why I'm wrong. Though really, in practice, you're only slightly more likely to get a bug on Windows than you are OSX.

Programs crashing? Yeah. If they're badly written. Otherwise you'll see Windows white-out an application about as much as you'll see the beach ball of doom on OSX. Hell, my iPad crashes apps more than Windows does.

And what's so inefficient about NTFS vs. the others? Hell, HSF+ is nearly the same in all regards. The only slight disadvantage to it is it does tend to defrag a little quicker. But as far as speed, performance, and reliability are concerned, you wouldn't be able to tell a difference between it and most other formats.

The same thing with a BIOS. Yeah, it's old, and it's not fancy at all, but it does the job just as well as EFI. There are advantages of going with EFI, of course, but about the only real problem you and I would see with it is you can't use high resolution boot images and it adds about 3-5 seconds to start up times while it checks itself. But that's...yeah...oh well.

And anyway, as of Windows 8, OEMs have to use UEFI to get MS certified. The BIOS is on its way out.

Most of your information seems to come from a Mac Fan's Guide As To Why OSX is Better Than Windows circa 2001. You need to get yourself up to date.

So is that to say there aren't any problems with Windows? That there's no reason to use OSX over it? No. OSX does have advantages. Having such a wide variety of hardware out for Windows means you're exponentially more likely to run into a conflict, specially if you buy a cheap sub $500 laptop with a bunch of corners cut to get to that price point. This doesn't happen with OSX, which is tailor made for the computer it's running on. Plus OEM's love of crapware pisses me off to no end. And the UI? There's no denying that OSX is better here. Windows is rather no frills plain jane in that regard.

But constant viruses, performance issues, crashes, and BSOD's? They don't happen. If you're even halfway computer literate and buy a decent PC, you'll be running your programs just as nicely and trouble free on Windows as you will on a Mac.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
How could you call that a flawed experience? It works nearly perfectly for me, something must be wrong.

I don't think that has anything to do with stability as it does the fact that bare 'nix OSes can be pared down to incredibly small sizes. You don't need a GUI or any superfluous software to run an internet backbone. You just need a command line on an OS that's barely a few meg big.

It has everything to do with stability. What does UI or superfluous software have anything to do here? Completely irrelevant. Have you ever worked in a company which uses some kind of server? Like a web server, email server, etc.? Most will be Linux/UNIX. Why? Because it's rock-solid stable. And also it's flexible and can be easily scaled (like you said).

It's the reason why you don't see many OSX servers. Why would they use it when they can use a barebones MACH or BSD that'll do the job with far less overhead and not cost them a dime?

While OS X is not a great business server platform, that is not the reason why. The main reason is because of support. RHEL (Red Hat Enterprise Linux) and many others offer great support for their Linux distro to businesses. OS X is also "closed" and the hardware choice is relatively limited. Large companies want to control their servers from hardware to software. Relying on Apple's Genius Bar is not going to cut it. They need experts who can come onsite, setup, diagnose, repair, maintain, etc. their servers.

Windows, like OSX, is too big for servers. That's why it's mostly used for office intranets and VM workstations.

Viruses as per your definition don't even really exist in the Windows world anymore. If you do get a bug on a modern Windows machine, it's usually the same way you'd get a malware infection on OSX: either through social engineering, phishing schemes, or through a backdoor on some 3rd party program. If you want to surf the internet on a Windows machine, all you have to do is use an ad blocker, set some plugins to launch only on command, and apply a little common sense. You don't even have to use a 3rd party virus scanner anymore. MS' built in defender does the job just fine.

Incorrect. Windows still gets many viruses and I'm not going into detail about trojans, root kits, malware, spyware, etc. I think it's too much for someone who thinks so limited and incorrectly. Microsoft Defender is, by all definitions, an antivirus software. It detects viruses, quarantines them and/or removes them. Antivirus software plain and simple.

Drive by infections? They just don't happen anymore.

Okay. I expect someone to post up a bunch of links showing me why I'm wrong. Though really, in practice, you're only slightly more likely to get a bug on Windows than you are OSX.

Actually, given how Windows is (last time I checked) something like running 85-90% of the world's computers, I think you'll find running into a bug on Windows to be exponentially more likely than OS X (which occupies like 4-5%?). Again my figures may be out of date, but the overall majority of computers still run Windows.

Programs crashing? Yeah. If they're badly written. Otherwise you'll see Windows white-out an application about as much as you'll see the beach ball of doom on OSX. Hell, my iPad crashes apps more than Windows does.

As a registered developer of both OS X and Windows, I can tell you that is not correct. Due to the legacy support still in Windows 8 today, there is so much that can go and have gone wrong.

And what's so inefficient about NTFS vs. the others? Hell, HSF+ is nearly the same in all regards. The only slight disadvantage to it is it does tend to defrag a little quicker. But as far as speed, performance, and reliability are concerned, you wouldn't be able to tell a difference between it and most other formats.

HFS+, not NSF+, has so many advantages over NTFS. I'm not going into detail, it's easy to find this info online. There's just so much info out there already and easily accessible.

The same thing with a BIOS. Yeah, it's old, and it's not fancy at all, but it does the job just as well as EFI. There are advantages of going with EFI, of course, but about the only real problem you and I would see with it is you can't use high resolution boot images and it adds about 3-5 seconds to start up times while it checks itself. But that's...yeah...oh well.

And anyway, as of Windows 8, OEMs have to use UEFI to get MS certified. The BIOS is on its way out.

BIOS does not do the job just as well as EFI. Absolutely not. It's a good thing Microsoft started the shift to EFI (UEFI). BIOS blows.

Most of your information seems to come from a Mac Fan's Guide As To Why OSX is Better Than Windows circa 2001. You need to get yourself up to date.

Some things don't change.

So is that to say there aren't any problems with Windows? That there's no reason to use OSX over it? No. OSX does have advantages. Having such a wide variety of hardware out for Windows means you're exponentially more likely to run into a conflict, specially if you buy a cheap sub $500 laptop with a bunch of corners cut to get to that price point. This doesn't happen with OSX, which is tailor made for the computer it's running on. Plus OEM's love of crapware pisses me off to no end. And the UI? There's no denying that OSX is better here. Windows is rather no frills plain jane in that regard.

But constant viruses, performance issues, crashes, and BSOD's? They don't happen. If you're even halfway computer literate and buy a decent PC, you'll be running your programs just as nicely and trouble free on Windows as you will on a Mac.

There's plenty of reasons to use one over the other. I never said "constant". You did. I'm just telling you there are performance issues (filesystem, antivirus software which is kind of necessary and slowing down the OS, BIOS, etc.), more crashing due to the way APIs work and legacy support and viruses. That isn't to say OS X is perfect either. Relatively limited choice of hardware, can't really modify the UI (not easily), starting price isn't as low (Windows PC can be had for as little as $300), gaming is usually pretty poor, some software won't work or has a really poor Mac version (Quicken for example, Office is another) and so much more.

Reply in red.

Renzatic

Suspended
It has everything to do with stability. What does UI or superfluous software have anything to do here? Completely irrelevant. Have you ever worked in a company which uses some kind of server? Like a web server, email server, etc.? Most will be Linux/UNIX. Why? Because it's rock-solid stable. And also it's flexible and can be easily scaled (like you said)

When you mention servers that use a 'nix OS, I think of large websites, cloud platforms, and other heavy bandwidth use cases. These are high stress environments, where an OS has to be stripped to its bare bones to do its job well. Even as something as seemingly basic as a UI is superfluous here. It's extra software that can possibly crash in an environment that has to be running as smoothly as possible for as long as possible. A CLI interface running only the software it needs is the order of the day.

...which is neither Windows or OSX. They're both productivity/enterprise platforms first and foremost. They're what you use if you need to do a spreadsheet, graphic work, or distribute scheduling and message updates to a large amount of computers and smartphones. They're too fat for true high end server work, and can only be scaled back by a limited amount.

Incorrect. Windows still gets many viruses and I'm not going into detail about trojans, root kits, malware, spyware, etc. I think it's too much for someone who thinks so limited and incorrectly. Microsoft Defender is, by all definitions, an antivirus software. It detects viruses, quarantines them and/or removes them. Antivirus software plain and simple.

Viruses by the classic definition? As in something that can sneak in undetected without any user input and propagate itself? It's possible there might be one or two out there I haven't heard of, but the vast, vast majority of malware out these days are trojans, which requires some level of user action to get at someones machine.

Yes, there are more trojans, rootkits, malware, spyware ect. for Windows machines than there are for OSX. But what are the chances of someone with even a little common sense getting infected with one? Fairly slim. As long as you know those pop ups that show on certain websites aren't actually virus programs, and Bonzai Buddy isn't actually your buddy, you won't get infected by anything.

Seriously. I don't exact practice safe computing at all times. I haven't been infected in years upon years. I'll even go the extra distance once every 6 months and run a virus scan off a bootable Linux image. Never have had a one.

(though now that I've said this, I'll probably get 5. Pride goeth...)

As a registered developer of both OS X and Windows, I can tell you that is not correct. Due to the legacy support still in Windows 8 today, there is so much that can go and have gone wrong.

As a registered developer, I wonder why you'd feel the need to make legacy API calls at all. Windows legacy support is inert until called upon. It just sits there on your HDD, not even taking up residence in memory. If you're not using any programs that make legacy calls, then it's not potentially conflicting with the more modern APIs, or doing anything else to potentially disrupt the stability of your system.

HFS+, not NSF+, has so many advantages over NTFS. I'm not going into detail, it's easy to find this info online. There's just so much info out there already and easily accessible.

Honestly, this isn't something I know that much about beyond the basics. I'll give you this one due to my general ignorance on the subject.

Some things don't change.

Windows has changed by massive amounts since 2001. Most everything you say about XP, for instance, no longer applies to Vista/7/8.

There's plenty of reasons to use one over the other. I never said "constant". You did. I'm just telling you there are performance issues (filesystem, antivirus software which is kind of necessary and slowing down the OS, BIOS, etc.), more crashing due to the way APIs work and legacy support and viruses. That isn't to say OS X is perfect either. Relatively limited choice of hardware, can't really modify the UI (not easily), starting price isn't as low (Windows PC can be had for as little as $300), gaming is usually pretty poor, some software won't work or has a really poor Mac version (Quicken for example, Office is another) and so much more.

Well, constant in the sense that it happens enough to be an issue. My experiences with Windows have been pretty smooth over the years. I'll admit that some people do have better luck than others, but that's true of any computer, regardless of make, model, or OS.

Oh, and not all virus scanners are Norton and McAffe's. They're bloated, and cripple your computer. Other virus scanners are much lighter in comparison. Like MS Security Essentials? It eats up 0.5% of my CPU cycles and consumes anywhere between 80-300 MB ram depending on what it's doing. That's a negligible amount.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
When you mention servers that use a 'nix OS, I think of large websites, cloud platforms, and other heavy bandwidth use cases. These are high stress environments, where an OS has to be stripped to its bare bones to do its job well. Even as something as seemingly basic as a UI is superfluous here. It's extra software that can possibly crash in an environment that has to be running as smoothly as possible for as long as possible. A CLI interface running only the software it needs is the order of the day.

Um. No. You need an efficient, stable system. Both hardware and software. I don't think you've ever actually seen a server. My workplace has a code server. It's running quite a bit of stuff and has a GUI. OS isn't "bare bones".

...which is neither Windows or OSX. They're both productivity/enterprise platforms first and foremost. They're what you use if you need to do a spreadsheet, graphic work, or distribute scheduling and message updates to a large amount of computers and smartphones. They're too fat for true high end server work, and can only be scaled back by a limited amount.

Okay, I mostly agree here and the tiny details where I don't aren't really important in this discussion's context.

Viruses by the classic definition? As in something that can sneak in undetected without any user input and propagate itself? It's possible there might be one or two out there I haven't heard of, but the vast, vast majority of malware out these days are trojans, which requires some level of user action to get at someones machine.

Viruses gain root/admin access without explicit user permission. That's a simple definition. Security companies have more "technical" definitions but for the most part, viruses are able to have root/admin privileges without explicit user permission.

Yes, there are more trojans, rootkits, malware, spyware ect. for Windows machines than there are for OSX. But what are the chances of someone with even a little common sense getting infected with one? Fairly slim. As long as you know those pop ups that show on certain websites aren't actually virus programs, and Bonzai Buddy isn't actually your buddy, you won't get infected by anything.

I disagree. Flash is a big culprit. My friend was browsing eBay the other day and he got a virus from one of the ads. Another friend was on a forum (much like this one) and got a root kit. No, it wasn't a hacker forum or some porn forum (if those exist?).

Seriously. I don't exact practice safe computing at all times. I haven't been infected in years upon years. I'll even go the extra distance once every 6 months and run a virus scan off a bootable Linux image. Never have had a one.

(though now that I've said this, I'll probably get 5. Pride goeth...)

I'm glad you haven't gotten any kind of malicious software on your computer in years.

As a registered developer, I wonder why you'd feel the need to make legacy API calls at all. Windows legacy support is inert until called upon. It just sits there on your HDD, not even taking up residence in memory. If you're not using any programs that make legacy calls, then it's not potentially conflicting with the more modern APIs, or doing anything else to potentially disrupt the stability of your system.

For consumers, legacy APIs are essentially wasted disk space. For my workstation at work, I use all sorts of "legacy" software. Different users. Also, I have to test my software load on XP, 7 and 8. I sometimes need to modify things because certain stuff runs into errors on different platforms. I also do Mac dev work, most of my Xcode projects still work and run just fine from years ago. The only problems I get are implementation which don't affect performance (at my scope) as much as just newer style of coding and using the API. I find OS X to break less stuff as new versions are out. But this is subjective.

Honestly, this isn't something I know that much about beyond the basics. I'll give you this one due to my general ignorance on the subject.

One of the advantages is that HFS+ does not "require" disk defragmentation as much as NTFS/FAT does. The more technical reasoning is that both will "require" it, but HFS+ is less needy about it.

Windows has changed by massive amounts since 2001. Most everything you say about XP, for instance, no longer applies to Vista/7/8.

I agree. But legacy APIs for one still exist today as they did in 2001. Not the same APIs, but the problem of legacy APIs is not an issue of yesteryear.

Well, constant in the sense that it happens enough to be an issue. My experiences with Windows have been pretty smooth over the years. I'll admit that some people do have better luck than others, but that's true of any computer, regardless of make, model, or OS.

Oh, and not all virus scanners are Norton and McAffe's. They're bloated, and cripple your computer. Other virus scanners are much lighter in comparison. Like MS Security Essentials? It eats up 0.5% of my CPU cycles and consumes anywhere between 80-300 MB ram depending on what it's doing. That's a negligible amount.

Not much to say here. I pretty much agree with all of it.

Reply in red.

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
I use Windows all the time. Every day. In fact, within cat-swinging distance of me are several Windows machines, a Sun workstation, several Linux machines and a handful of Macs of various vintages.

All are valuable tools for various purposes.

But when I need to get stuff done, I turn to my Macs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.