Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
T-Mobile throttles after using 21GB of data. Their rep told me this when I asked the other day. So I have to stick with AT&T. I have a 30GB plan with AT&T.

Several months ago, I used 75GB without being throttled and last month, 35GB. They do not throttle on unlimited plans.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Several months ago, I used 75GB without being throttled and last month, 35GB. They do not throttle on unlimited plans.
The rep told me they throttle users who use more than 21GB in a single month. So... I have to go with what she told me. I will ask again but that's what I was told. I wanted to go to a company who has the fastest network. However, I wasn't allowed.

----------

But your ATT...so how are you texting the tmobile throttle claim you made. Based on the above it appears the rep informed you wrong.
Why would she tell me that? She seemed very knowledgable about T-Mobile and their products.

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
The rep told me they throttle users who use more than 21GB in a single month. So... I have to go with what she told me. I will ask again but that's what I was told. I wanted to go to a company who has the fastest network. However, I wasn't allowed.

Again....you do what you think best, but reps don't tend to always know what they are talking about.

Based on above comments they don't. Also...my coworker uses them...and consistently uses 50gbs a month...he said his speeds never decrease.

----------

----------

Why would she tell me that? She seemed very knowledgable about T-Mobile and their products.

All I'm saying is that she could be misinformed. It would have to be in the fine print if she is correct.

----------

----------

Google it....they don't throttle though they have stated they may contact those who misuse the unlimited data. I doubt 30 gigs is misuse based on what I have read online.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC

----------

Reps aren't privy to that kind of information. If there were anything in the company guidelines about throttling limits for unlimited customers, it wouldn't be in the information they pass along to reps. Honestly the reps don't even know as much as Tmonews so I wouldn't trust their word on stuff like that.

I've seen their internal systems and if you lookup the data plans for unlimited customers it actually shows a data limit of 999GB. I don't think anyone will be able to reach that with a phone.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Reps aren't privy to that kind of information. If there were anything in the company guidelines about throttling limits for unlimited customers, it wouldn't be in the information they pass along to reps. Honestly the reps don't even know as much as Tmonews so I wouldn't trust their word on stuff like that.

I've seen their internal systems and if you lookup the data plans for unlimited customers it actually shows a data limit of 999GB. I don't think anyone will be able to reach that with a phone.

I will go to a different T-Mobile tomorrow and see what they tell me.

Woochifer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
T-Mobile throttles after using 21GB of data. Their rep told me this when I asked the other day. So I have to stick with AT&T. I have a 30GB plan with AT&T.

Never heard of anyone getting throttled on a T-Mo unlimited 4G/LTE plan. You sure they weren't talking about tethering or international data roaming?

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
Question about the trade in program. Does the new phone have to be purchased from t-mobile? I would prefer to buy direct from Apple and then switch but I just priced my 64Gb white iPhone on AT&T for trade in and it's listed at $300, which is twice as much as what TMO lists currently. I guess pre-ordering on the 12th is not possible if you plan on doing this and the matching offer doesn't start until the 17th?

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Question about the trade in program. Does the new phone have to be purchased from t-mobile? I would prefer to buy direct from Apple and then switch but I just priced my 64Gb white iPhone on AT&T for trade in and it's listed at $300, which is twice as much as what TMO lists currently. I guess pre-ordering on the 12th is not possible if you plan on doing this and the matching offer doesn't start until the 17th?

Has to be purchased from T-Mobile

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
Has to be purchased from T-Mobile

Thought so. I'm ok with that as long as they unlock the phone when I purchase at full price. Then again, I guess it's not a big deal and I could pay it off over time since I would be able to travel out of the country and still use my phone :) And I also assume I have to wait until the 17th to order it so that they match the AT&T $300 trade in value.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
3310574f9c.png

No B12 support for the new iPhone. Looks like no reason to switch to TMobile :eek:

markyr17

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2010
Seeing as T-Mobile literally has no coverage within 250 miles from where I live... The idea is not even possible.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
I am. I'm paying way too much for 2GB of data with Verizon. With T-Mobile I get unlimited data plus like a previous poster said, unlimited Spotify that doesn't go against my data plan, so actually I don't even need the unlimited data.

lewisd25

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
My AT&T contract ended on Sunday. I unlocked my iPhone 5 and went ahead and switched to T-mobile today in anticipation of my new iPhone on Friday. I figured I would beat the rush of new activations. I decided on the pre-paid $30 5gb monthly plan. Loving the reception and speed thus far.

ELPresidente720

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
Switching from Sprint. T-Mobile is better by every metric in my area, and I like what they're doing in the industry in general. Plus, hey, new iPhone.

MichaelMidnight

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2008
Los Angeles
My AT&T contract ended on Sunday. I unlocked my iPhone 5 and went ahead and switched to T-mobile today in anticipation of my new iPhone on Friday. I figured I would beat the rush of new activations. I decided on the pre-paid $30 5gb monthly plan. Loving the reception and speed thus far.

Ah! So I have been wondering about this. If I buy the iPhone 6 from T-Mobile, I can use the $30 pre-paid 3GB service? One one page of the site, it mentions it's only for Walmart and/or Tmobile.com

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
I'm switching. Finally no more 5GB throttling. It's ridiculous and I don't even use that much data in a month. I average around 9-12GB, and I pay for unlimited so I expect unlimited. I don't mind slower speeds during congested times but I get throttled to useless speeds the second I pass 5GB

lewisd25

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
Ah! So I have been wondering about this. If I buy the iPhone 6 from T-Mobile, I can use the $30 pre-paid 3GB service? One one page of the site, it mentions it's only for Walmart and/or Tmobile.com

You need to go to t-mobile.com and sign up there. You need the ICCD number for the sim card inside your new iPhone 6. Just go to Settings>General>About. It will ask you for your current carrier's account number/password, your device IMEI (not important), the phone number you want ported, etc. Make sure you select the pre-paid $30 100 minutes/5gb Data option. Simple, takes about 5 minutes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.