Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Carlsberg69

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 26, 2023
Hi, just wondering as title say!? Are you still rocking a 5s in some way?

I’m actually still using a 5s as my extra phone still, have had it since new. Using it together with a 14PM, and it’s just perfect to grab when a small phone is needed/warranted. Of course it’s a little bit crippled with old software but as a phone to just call and sms with, more or less if needed, it’s fine! Oh yeah, just to keep it alive I just switched the battery for a second time (25$). But, all in all, I love this phone, it’s been a trustworthy companion since the get go, and still is in a way! Just imagine it was a flagship phone ones…😀

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2015
NY
My 5S is one of the phones I sold when I upgraded to the next one. My newest ‘working‘ backup iPhone is my 5. The lightning port is damaged, the only way it will charge is if I’m pulling the cable to the right while it’s plugged in. So, I can only charge it for a few minutes at a time before my hands become tired. I once made a contraption out of rubber bands to keep it in place, but unfortunately, that doesn’t work anymore. Definitely no lint or any other stuff in that port, that was one of the first things I checked for. If I had the time and maybe the know-how, I’d probably attempt to repair it myself, I just don’t think it’s really worth it to bring it to a repair store.

I still think it’s the perfect size iPhone. The mini is close, but it’s just not the same.

Reactions: capt Beaky

Carlsberg69

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 26, 2023
My 5S is one of the phones I sold when I upgraded to the next one. My newest ‘working‘ backup iPhone is my 5. The lightning port is damaged, the only way it will charge is if I’m pulling the cable to the right while it’s plugged in. So, I can only charge it for a few minutes at a time before my hands become tired. I once made a contraption out of rubber bands to keep it in place, but unfortunately, that doesn’t work anymore. Definitely no lint or any other stuff in that port, that was one of the first things I checked for. If I had the time and maybe the know-how, I’d probably attempt to repair it myself, I just don’t think it’s really worth it to bring it to a repair store.

I still think it’s the perfect size iPhone. The mini is close, but it’s just not the same.
Yes the size is phenomenal, if you wanna go small and don’t mind the age, it’s unbeatable I think! Sorry to hear about your lightning port, it can be worth checking with a couple of repair places, it might cost less then you think.

AlixSPQR

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2020
Sweden
I had a 5s for years, until I bought an SE 1st gen in 2018. Last year I bought a 13 mini. I'm a bit nostalgical about the 5s and SE, though. But my eyesight clearly prefers the 13 mini. The 5s now belongs to my son, he has it as a backup phone.

Carlsberg69

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 26, 2023
I had a 5s for years, until I bought an SE 1st gen in 2018. Last year I bought a 13 mini. I'm a bit nostalgical about the 5s and SE, though. But my eyesight clearly prefers the 13 mini. The 5s now belongs to my son, he has it as a backup phone.
Great to hear, one more still in use ✅

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
IMG_1272.png

The OGSE is my spare phone which I bought brand new almost a year ago. I was captivated by its size and usability, and its A9 chip provided a smooth user experience even in 2023. I used it as my primary phone from April 2022 to January 2023 until I replaced it with a regular 13 model. Since I no longer need to use this device, I will be placing it back in its box tomorrow and storing it.

I never owned a 5 or 5S but I still consider it the best looking and best designed iPhone.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Yes the size is phenomenal, if you wanna go small and don’t mind the age, it’s unbeatable I think!
Sorry guys. I went to the iPhone 6+ in February 2015 and I will never go back to the size of the iPhone 5/5s. You don't know how small these things are until you use larger phones. A bonus for me, not so much for you guys.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Hi, just wondering as title say!? Are you still rocking a 5s in some way?
Not a 5s, but I have a Black/Slate iPhone 5. It is the fourth replacement of a launch day iPhone 5 I got in September 2012. I used it for a couple of years on T-Mobile on a secondary line until I put that SIM in my 6s+.

Recently, I promoted my old 5 to desktop clock.

I have: a 3GS, a 4, a 4s, a 5, a 6s+ (secondary phone), a Pixel 3a XL, and an 11 Pro Max (my primary phone). The older phones don't get a lot of use.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Never had it. The 5 was more iconic
I refused to buy the 5s because the closest Apple came to black was Space Gray. Black did not see a return until the iPhone 7 series.

I hate Space Gray and have had to swallow hard every time that was the only color Apple offered (closest to black) in the model iPhone/iPad I was buying.

Larsvonhier

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2016
Germany, Black Forest
Had it for a very long time as my primary phone and just recently switched to the iPhone 13mini. Very comparable in size and accessibility with one hand on the go. It will be a sad day when there are no compact phones in this category any more... (14 already has no "mini" version & might never come back again!).

oofio2461

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2021
 Full Moon
had a 6, but in 2019 the charging port broke and no repair center could fix our iPhone, even Apple refused to repair it, but with it now becoming obsolete next year, ill think I will try again to restore my old 6 for nostalgia and backing up photos (back when I couldn't afford iCloud)

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I have one but unfortunately I broke its screen. First and only screen I’ve ever broken, I dropped a power bank on it when it slipped.

It works, it runs iOS 8.2. Not worth fixing by now because it is a paperweight, and not worth even booting because it’s broken. Sad.

reggavegga

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2009
I use my father in law's old 5c strictly as an Ipod. We had the battery replaced free because of the old battery expanding. Then soon after he got a newer Iphone. So the battery is still going strong and makes a great Ipod.

Reactions: Carlsberg69

KOTN91

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2017
I refused to buy the 5s because the closest Apple came to black was Space Gray. Black did not see a return until the iPhone 7 series.

I hate Space Gray and have had to swallow hard every time that was the only color Apple offered (closest to black) in the model iPhone/iPad I was buying.
Yeah space grey was pants. Thankfully for the past few years there are actually decent colours

Reactions: eyoungren

Carlsberg69

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 26, 2023
Sorry guys. I went to the iPhone 6+ in February 2015 and I will never go back to the size of the iPhone 5/5s. You don't know how small these things are until you use larger phones. A bonus for me, not so much for you guys.
Lucky me have a 14PM as mentioned, so I can switch between the extremes 😉

Reactions: eyoungren

Carlsberg69

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 26, 2023
I use my father in law's old 5c strictly as an Ipod. We had the battery replaced free because of the old battery expanding. Then soon after he got a newer Iphone. So the battery is still going strong and makes a great Ipod.
Really good way of using an old phone!! 👍

Reactions: DeepIn2U

RinkDinkus

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2022
Instagram: maxzeuner
Wish I could still use one as a daily! Loved this phone back in 2013! Sadly all the US networks pretty much kneecapped them when the 3G shutdown happened so I can’t use them for phone service bc they don’t support VoLTE 😭

Reactions: Carlsberg69

Thoradin

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2020
Yorkshire, England
I bought an original SE rather cheap with a new battery, back in late 2019.
I only picked it up to see if I could get on with a move to iOS, but couldn’t get on with the size.

My son who’s 9 has used it as an iPod from April 2020 to now and he loves it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.