Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Curious now that TouchID and FaceID are so common place in all smartphones, do you find it tedious or tiresome entering a passcode everytime to unlock?
Yes I do. Which is curious to me, because before TouchID and FaceID, I never had a problem with it. Even my Pixel has a fingerprint sensor on the back.

Since all I am doing with it now is using it as a clock, I'm probably going to take the passcode off.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

Carlsberg69

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 26, 2023
Curious now that TouchID and FaceID are so common place in all smartphones, do you find it tedious or tiresome entering a passcode everytime to unlock?
Yes I do. Which is curious to me, because before TouchID and FaceID, I never had a problem with it. Even my Pixel has a fingerprint sensor on the back.
This is a very important detail, reason I still use the 5s is that it actually has TouchID!!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
This is a very important detail, reason I still use the 5s is that it actually has TouchID!!
Yeah, I'm used to passcodes and it never did bother me. But I guess I also got used to TouchID and FaceID as well.

The underlying code I use on all my devices is easy to remember for me because at one time it was an important number in my life. So, I didn't really have an issue with it. I think my problem in this case is that there is no info on this phone that is important or critical or that isn't already on two or three other phones and devices (including computers). So, I see no need to keep entering a passcode just to view the clock I'm using. And my 5 never leaves the house anymore either.

So I turned the passcode off this morning.

Last edited:

capt Beaky

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2023
Hi, just wondering as title say!? Are you still rocking a 5s in some way?

I’m actually still using a 5s as my extra phone still, have had it since new. Using it together with a 14PM, and it’s just perfect to grab when a small phone is needed/warranted. Of course it’s a little bit crippled with old software but as a phone to just call and sms with, more or less if needed, it’s fine! Oh yeah, just to keep it alive I just switched the battery for a second time (25$). But, all in all, I love this phone, it’s been a trustworthy companion since the get go, and still is in a way! Just imagine it was a flagship phone ones…😀
I still use mine as a daily phone and had it from new , just replaced battery , only really used for just calls and texts now thou, I'm getting a couple of days on one charge , happy days .

KhloeM66

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2024
I still have my good old iPhone 5s! While sometimes it's a little laggy, I can't blame it because I have LOTS of files and things on it, so it runs incredibly well, considering that, and it's age. I got it when it was first released, so it's about a good 10-11 years old?

• Love
Reactions: Carlsberg69

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I have two iPhone 5s. Can’t believe anyone can use a phone that size lol. I can’t even type on a 5s, not to mention the 5s SOC is ancient at this point.

Carlsberg69

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 26, 2023
I have two iPhone 5s. Can’t believe anyone can use a phone that size lol. I can’t even type on a 5s, not to mention the 5s SOC is ancient at this point.
It actually works quite well as a phone and for texting, not much more. The size is tiny compared to today’s standard but really nice if you want to detoxify yourself from constant looking at a screen.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
It actually works quite well as a phone and for texting, not much more. The size is tiny compared to today’s standard but really nice if you want to detoxify yourself from constant looking at a screen.

In the US, I don't think you can actually use the 5/5s for calls anymore as most providers have shut down their 2G and 3G network.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
I don’t think I could use an iPhone 5S as a smartphone in 2024 or even 2-3 years ago. It has a very dated SoC compared to the SE1 which is still absolutely usable today. It would just be a phone for making phone calls, instant messages and some basic smart functionality. It’s probably not far off a “dumb phone” at this stage due to the lack of app support.

sfphoto

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2010
The iP5 is great w/ iOS8 as such was the last iOS that one could transfer apps between devices via iTunes (also using an older version)

I do have a question though, can Apps still be downloaded via the App Store app? The 5 maxed out at iOS10 AFAIK.

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
The iP5 is great w/ iOS8 as such was the last iOS that one could transfer apps between devices via iTunes (also using an older version)

I do have a question though, can Apps still be downloaded via the App Store app? The 5 maxed out at iOS10 AFAIK.
iPod touch 5 running iOS 9.3.5 can still download latest compatible apps so iOS 10.3.3 should also work...

I used to install apps via iTunes 12.6 on iPhone 5c running iOS 10

sfphoto

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2010
"Pod touch 5 running iOS 9.3.5 can still download latest compatible apps"

Thanks!
I have an iP6 w/ iOS11 and can no longer connect to the App Store w/ the App Store app.
However I can with a iPse w/ iOS12 both using same wi-fi.
So I posted this problem in another forum.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.