Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
With the Apple Lightning Digital AV Adapter, the 5s is an ultra-portable media client that plays (losslessly) up to 1080p content with Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 audio over HDMI.
Plex/nPlayer or Sat>IP TV via VLC natively support the adapter.

Carlsberg69

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 26, 2023
The two workhorses
IMG_0493.jpeg

Wonder if I’m going to have the 14PM as long as the 5s……🤔 10y

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Sadly, no. All the ones surviving in our family suffered from an expanding battery that destroyed them completely.

• Wow
Reactions: Carlsberg69

Maigrais

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2012
2013 was a terrific year for smartphones. I still have my iPhone 5s in Space Grey in pristine conditions in 64GB size tucked inside its retail box.

Carlsberg69

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 26, 2023
2013 was a terrific year for smartphones. I still have my iPhone 5s in Space Grey in pristine conditions in 64GB size tucked inside its retail box.
But but…. Best is to use it, no? Are you planing to sell it at some point??

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
But but…. Best is to use it, no? Are you planing to sell it at some point??
It sounds like he’s just planning to keep it as part of a collection. I have kept all my “worthless” iPhones also as they are all extremely well cared for and in pristine condition. I have an iPhone 6S, 8, SE and 13. I used to have a 12 Mini but sold it because I wanted to upgrade and it was still fetching a good price. My 13 is in a fairly chunky 2 piece case with a lot of protection so I don’t think I will ever damage it. There is really no practical reason for me to have a spare phone. I just like keeping and preserving old technology for some reason.

Carlsberg69

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 26, 2023
It sounds like he’s just planning to keep it as part of a collection. I have kept all my “worthless” iPhones also as they are all extremely well cared for and in pristine condition. I have an iPhone 6S, 8, SE and 13. I used to have a 12 Mini but sold it because I wanted to upgrade and it was still fetching a good price. My 13 is in a fairly chunky 2 piece case with a lot of protection so I don’t think I will ever damage it. There is really no practical reason for me to have a spare phone. I just like keeping and preserving old technology for some reason.
Know where you’re coming from. I can feel a bit, shall we say, “nostalgic” about my old phones, especially my 5s. But still I would love them to be useful. All of your phones you listed there could definitely be of use, if not for you, for someone.

Of course, I fully respect everyone to decide exactly what to do with their phones, don’t get me wrong. IMHO, I just think it’s a shame when fully pristine devices are not coming to use as intended.

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Of course, I fully respect everyone to decide exactly what to do with their phones, don’t get me wrong. IMHO, I just think it’s a shame when fully pristine devices are not coming to use as intended.
I decided today I'll just alternate my iPhone 5 and my Pixel in desktop clock duty…

IMG_0367.jpg

Right now, it's really the Pixel's turn, but this is an iPhone thread after all.

Reactions: Carlsberg69

Regbial

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
what is that lady on the left from? ... reminds me of a key artwork from Drakengard 3

this one btw: https://assets.rpgsite.net/images/images/000/024/199/original/D3_0205_Art1.jpg
That is a fan artist's interpretation of Moiraine Damodred from the Wheel of Time.

For what I wanted to do, it was impossible to find a high enough quality image of the cover art from the Eye of the World. I found this piece and believe it was well done. Of course, this was all before the Amazon series and Rosamund Pike.

https://www.reddit.com/r/WoT/comments/jp5pxz

Regbial

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
That is a fan artist's interpretation of Moiraine Damodred from the Wheel of Time.

For what I wanted to do, it was impossible to find a high enough quality image of the cover art from the Eye of the World. I found this piece and believe it was well done. Of course, this was all before the Amazon series and Rosamund Pike.

https://www.reddit.com/r/WoT/comments/jp5pxz
I see! So I assume you added the "lights" behind the heads, or maybe, it was part of another image, and you superimposed Lorraine and Cortana (?) over them..

And yeah, Lorraine.. I saw the series on Amazon, didn't love it but it was entertaining enough and the story had enough pull for me to see it to the end. I intend to read the books later on... someday. I hear they are really good. Thanks for the response btw!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I see! So I assume you added the "lights" behind the heads, or maybe, it was part of another image, and you superimposed Lorraine and Cortana (?) over them..
Yes, it's one part of a desktop theme…done in Photoshop with a template that accounts for the main five displays.

IMG_0368.jpg

PS. There is an iPhone 5 in there, underneath the Pixel with the running Nixie clock.

And yeah, Lorraine.. I saw the series on Amazon, didn't love it but it was entertaining enough and the story had enough pull for me to see it to the end. I intend to read the books later on... someday. I hear they are really good. Thanks for the response btw!
So far, I prefer the books and the Moiraine I know from the books. I think Amazon is rushing things.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Know where you’re coming from. I can feel a bit, shall we say, “nostalgic” about my old phones, especially my 5s. But still I would love them to be useful. All of your phones you listed there could definitely be of use, if not for you, for someone.

IMG_0649.jpeg
IMG_0650.jpeg

I agree with you that it is sad when an older phone, which is still perfectly usable today, is placed within its box and forgotten about in a storage cupboard. The flip side is that I don’t know anyone who doesn’t have a better phone than an SE or 6S as the oldest phones I commonly see these days are the XS or SE2. There are also likely very few pristine units left of these older 2016 devices so it is nice to be able to preserve something like this far into the future. I did use my 6S for 2 years and my SE1 for a year so they were definitely used as intended. I am not one of those collectors who purchases something and never uses it.

Carlsberg69

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 26, 2023
View attachment 2188776 View attachment 2188775

I agree with you that it is sad when an older phone, which is still perfectly usable today, is placed within its box and forgotten about in a storage cupboard. The flip side is that I don’t know anyone who doesn’t have a better phone than an SE or 6S as the oldest phones I commonly see these days are the XS or SE2. There are also likely very few pristine units left of these older 2016 devices so it is nice to be able to preserve something like this far into the future. I did use my 6S for 2 years and my SE1 for a year so they were definitely used as intended. I am not one of those collectors who purchases something and never uses it.
No of course not, kudos to you for taking so good care of your devices 🫶
I can’t help myself when I see the older iPhones in the wild though, it’s something uplifting seeing them 😀 probably mostly because of sentimental reasons….

Reactions: Andeddu

Regbial

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
Yes, it's one part of a desktop theme…done in Photoshop with a template that accounts for the main five displays.

View attachment 2188761

PS. There is an iPhone 5 in there, underneath the Pixel with the running Nixie clock.

So far, I prefer the books and the Moiraine I know from the books. I think Amazon is rushing things.
Oh that's a really cool setup 🤩.. Almost looks like a window! the big display up top.. nice minimalist painting on the right too..

"So far, I prefer the books and the Moiraine I know from the books. I think Amazon is rushing things." I would think so too heh... and yes, definitely rushing things. 😬

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Not a 5s, but I have a Black/Slate iPhone 5. It is the fourth replacement of a launch day iPhone 5 I got in September 2012. I used it for a couple of years on T-Mobile on a secondary line until I put that SIM in my 6s+.

Recently, I promoted my old 5 to desktop clock.

I have: a 3GS, a 4, a 4s, a 5, a 6s+ (secondary phone), a Pixel 3a XL, and an 11 Pro Max (my primary phone). The older phones don't get a lot of use.

Odd. The iPhone 5 came in White and black only.

The 5S came in slate.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Odd. The iPhone 5 came in White and black only.

The 5S came in slate.
No, the 5 came in Silver and Black/Slate. There may have been a white, but I bought my wife a Silver 5 in 2013. I still have her phone. It does have a white front.

The 5s came in Space Gray (and other colors).

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
No, the 5 came in Silver and Black/Slate. There may have been a white, but I bought my wife a Silver 5 in 2013. I still have her phone. It does have a white front.

The 5s came in Space Gray (and other colors).

I think you’ve got your models mixed up or I’ve got the colour names mixed up.

To clarify ….

Apple iPhone 5 released with this black colour:

First 2 pics attached. At least in North America.

The iPhone 5S released with this 2-tone shade of black colour which the middle back of the iPhone 5S matched with the sides of the iPhone 5S (the 5 sides were black I believe).

Last attached 2 pics.

Note that the SE came with even more muted or matte sizes and back. Unless of course I’m mistaken or misunderstanding and GSMArena is incorrect (which in 19yrs hasn’t been).

Still a solid phone for either and I’ve owned both within weeks at launch, and several times thereafter - probably THE most repeatable iPhone I’ve ever owned due tot he cheap price (aftermarket as well) and incredible iOS support.

A follow up post to come.

Attachments

• IMG_3391.jpeg
    IMG_3391.jpeg
    74.4 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_3392.jpeg
    IMG_3392.jpeg
    33.2 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_3390.jpeg
    IMG_3390.jpeg
    125.4 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_3388.jpeg
    IMG_3388.jpeg
    68.3 KB · Views: 44

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I think you’ve got your models mixed up or I’ve got the colour names mixed up.

To clarify ….

Apple iPhone 5 released with this black colour:

First 2 pics attached. At least in North America.

The iPhone 5S released with this 2-tone shade of black colour which the middle back of the iPhone 5S matched with the sides of the iPhone 5S (the 5 sides were black I believe).

Last attached 2 pics.

Note that the SE came with even more muted or matte sizes and back. Unless of course I’m mistaken or misunderstanding and GSMArena is incorrect (which in 19yrs hasn’t been).

Still a solid phone for either and I’ve owned both within weeks at launch, and several times thereafter - probably THE most repeatable iPhone I’ve ever owned due tot he cheap price (aftermarket as well) and incredible iOS support.

A follow up post to come.
My receipt…September 14, 2012.

iPhone 5 Preorder 6_14_2012_Thank You - Apple Store (U.S.) copy.jpg

Original box and the iPhone itself showing the model number.

2023-04-15 19.46.02.jpg 2023-04-15 19.46.19.jpg 2023-04-15 19.47.08.jpg 2023-04-15 19.47.25.jpg 2023-04-15 19.47.49.jpg 2023-04-15 19.48.33.jpg

Note that as I mentioned, this is not the original iPhone I bought. It's the fourth replacement. But it is still a Black/Slate, iPhone 5. Not a 5s. Unless, you think Apple slipped me a 5s when I wasn't looking.

I know the gray on the back of the phone makes it look like the Space Gray on the 5s. But that's the 'Slate' part of the Black/Slate. As to why the carrier now says T-Mobile, that is because with the fourth replacement I was able to get it unlocked by selecting Verizon as the carrier (which unlocked it). At that point it accepted my T-Mobile SIM, which is the carrier I switched to in 2015.

Last edited:

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Yes that is an iPhone 5 and it’s black, your reference being slate is cool. But the sides being black as well confirm my thoughts and post you’ve quoted.

We’re on the same page I’ve just known it as black but you’re right with the wording :)

Curious now that TouchID and FaceID are so common place in all smartphones, do you find it tedious or tiresome entering a passcode everytime to unlock?

Reactions: eyoungren
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.