Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
I wanted to consolidate my IPod + flip phone into 1, so there is only 1 logical choice.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Ecosystem and integration
Customer support
App Store

----------

A basic feature phone would have done this at the fraction of the cost of an iPhone...

And your point is ?
Again trying to save the world from evil apple ?
The thread is about WHY DID YOU BUY AN IPHONE ?

What a basic feature phone (something extinct nowadays) has to do with this topic ?

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
I started with the original iPhone. At that time AT&T was the exclusive carrier of the iPhone so they didn't care about other mobile OS's and their offerings other than the iPhone were complete garbage. By the time Verizon got the iPhone 4 months after it was released I had built up a big app library so I've stuck with iOS for the most part. Although I do use most Android flagship phones that come out.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
I started with an iPod touch. Natural progression. There was nothing compelling enough when I bought it to consider other options.

iPodJedi

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2013
Apple Store, USA
My 3 year old cruddy Samsung Intensity 2 (basic slide phone) started acting up and the battery was weakening and the user experience wasn't great (obviously). So i got a new iPhone 5c in blue and it is BOSS.

BENJMNS

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2005
Typing on iPhone is much better than android. But the best by far is blackberry physical. So I took the best overall package and it's the iPhone ATM.

nemesiswar

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2012
Sweden
I have for a long time been a fan of smartphones ever since my Palm Tungsten which i bought 2002 ( ithink). After that i tried both several Qtek models with early windows phone which was ok for the time and a couple of keyboard Nokia Phones (all pre-touch era).

The reason i was a smartphone fan was that i always wrote alot and hates thes idea of carrying a notebook or laptop along where ever i go.

A friend tipped me that iPhone 3G was good and the very first iPhone was unusable since 3g was active a long time back before in sweden. I was sceptical to the touch displays at first but was willing to give it a chance.

I was amazed how well the iPhone worked when i bought it and still love it even more after iCloud came.

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas
Why did you buy an iPhone?

Certain exclusive apps and customer support.

Not a fan of iTunes, don't care about iMessage, ecosystem or any of the other multitude of apple's proprietary hardware/software. I just like most of the apps/games selection and customer support is second to none. IMO

Last edited:

A.R.S

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2014
Russia, Krasnodar
How I became an Apple fan

I was not an Apple fan but my Nokia N8 was getting slower and slower... It required to turn it off and back on 2-3 times a day because the Internet/data connection will just quit working (the "3G" icon was still on the screen but can't open a page).

I started slow trying to find a new phone for me in the beginning of 2013. First, I considered a Sony Xperia S or Acro S. They had all the features. But then I realized that a 2-core Android device may suffer from freezes, glitches etc. Then I considered getting a new HTC One. It was a great option but its SIZE! I do not want a shovel - I want a PHONE! That you can use with one hand. Then I looked at the iPhone 5...

And I then realized that it's the best option for me. I have researched about the iTunes and I loved it too, when it automatically synchronizes new music ;) 64Gb is also good for me (HTC only has 32).

I also love the iPhone's being a "status symbol", its acoolness, it's cool to have such device ;)

And I LOVED it from the first day ;) Now I also got an iPad Air instead of my old Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 and I also love the iPad ;)

DucMike

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2013
Sacramento-area, CA
My first iPhone was a 3Gs, which happened to be my first Apple product as well as my first MP3 player. I was coming off of a Moto Razer flip & wanted to try something new. As mentioned above; I really like the fluidity of use, the infrastructure & just how perfect it is (was?). I also like how it spans the step from my old phone & my laptop. It saves me having to log that that thing on for about 90% of what I do.

I've been an iPhone fan ever since, opting for the odd-numbered upgrades (3Gs>4s>5s). Seems like they're the ones more likely to have the bugs worked out, and a few special upgrades added to the mix.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Was given an original after my brother-in-law upgraded to a 3G. Hooked from then on (original, 3G, 4, 4S, 5). Of course, that was back when Android truly wasn't much of a competitor. Once you start curating apps it's all over. That and almost my entire family and extended has iOS devices so Messaging and PhotoStream Sharing is a major factor. It would cost me a considerable amount to switch to an Android based device. The costly apps I'd have to replace, upping the texting plan, and I still wouldn't meet feature parity. Plus the iPhone retains so much of it's original value that selling it to fund a new one is a no brainer.

iOS 7 is so good now that a lot of the lacking features iOS 6 had are now there (Control Center, more flexible backgrounding API's, app to app sharing, etc.) so it's not nearly as attractive as it was earlier last year.

What do I wish it could do that it can't?
- Expanded memory slot (64GB for the largest iPhone just isn't enough with 1080p videos being recorded and games consistently being over 1GB in size)
- Stereo speakers (seriously getting of tired of cupping one hand around the speaker to hear)
- Separate media volume control (why must I turn up the volume to hear texts after I watched something?)

Last edited:

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
Why the iPhone to begin with?

I had a flip-phone (wife too) and our contract had been up but just sticking with them. I was laid off for couple months. I had just landed a job...my birthday was a couple days away. My wife said she hadn’t bought me any birthday gift since I was unemployed. She mentioned an iPhone and I said , we can take a look. Went to ATT store...too packed, went to the Mall and Radio Shack. They had them and no lines. I knew if I was going for a smartphone I’d go iPhone since I had an iMac and have used iPods and liked the symbiotic relationship between device and computer. So, I bought (or wife did?) the 32gb iPhone 4 (black). My wife figured she’d get a smartphone too and rather than go samsung, she go for the iPphone 3Gs for the same price and know if she ever needed any help she could ask me.

Since then, I have won an iPad2 (I was going to wait until Retina but have not upgraded that) and wife upgraded her phone to iPhone 5. I just got a 5S via work (new employment). She gifted me an AppleTV a couple years back. I work on a MBP for work so everything is “hunky dory” and have an older iMac at home (2009).

I tested a Samsung Galaxy S4 a few months back, disliked it. I prefer the Apple “way of doing things” and am already embedded into the App Ecosystem.

JOSE891

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2012
Las Vegas
What made you chose this phone?

Thanks for all the answers

Battery reliable
Screen is just right for me
Cool accessories
Airplay to an Apple TV
Battery cases available
Reliability
Footprint
Better apps and support
Walk in an apple store and walk out with new phone same day.
Better tweak/mods with jailbreak then rooted android phone.

Just to name a few reasons.

Fanaticalism

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2013
How are backups and restores?

A cinch. Biggest strength for Apple IMO. Only downside is I wish they gave you more than 5GB, but what they charge is peanuts compared to others all things considered, especially if you're engulfed in the ecosystem already. That being said, I've been on android for the past 8 months and I love it. The more I use it the more I appreciate it and look for the stock experience. What Google is doing with Android is pushing the envelope, IMO. I like that i can access all of my backed up data through the browser.

----------

Typing on iPhone is much better than android. But the best by far is blackberry physical. So I took the best overall package and it's the iPhone ATM.

I personally could never type well on my iPhones and that holds true. Truth be told, I never typed well on the my S4 either. It wasn't until the Note 3 that I could fly through. My hands are on the bigger side, I'm only 5'10" but I can palm a basketball enough to hold the ball firmly enough to be able to dunk it (when I was younger of course :p).

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Back in 2007…

I bought one and didn't like it at all:
No app ecosystem
Slow
No 3G
Kind of heavy for a phone actually

So I gave it to my mom.

I have been a big Nokia/Symbian guy back in the day. Sad how the mighty has fallen. I've owned just about every N-series and E-series device back in the day. I still miss my communicator (E90 the most).

Finally decided to make the move with the iPhone 3G since there was now 3G:
Had 3G
Still kind of slow
Had apps
Was more durable in my hands

Now I buy it because I'm used to it, phone is excellent overall, the app ecosystem is flourishing, I like the compact size, new features that keep me buying like Touch ID.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.