Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
I was using androids and bought an iPad 2. Loved the OS and got tired of buying the same apps for two different platforms. I liked iOS over Android so bought an iPhone and have stayed with them ever sense.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
What made you chose this phone?

Thanks for all the answers

Asking why anyone originally bought an iPhone is a better indicator.

I bought the original because it was a groundbreaking device. I already owned a MacBook, a G4, and some iPods.

iPhone made sense.

And it still does. Another vote for ecosystem. Bonus points for security.

Let's Sekuhara!

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2008
日本
I resisted the iPhone or any smart phone until the iPhone 4. I resisted because of the increased cost (data plan) and the 2-year contract. But finally I decided to get an iPhone 4 because it had just enough improvements to really make it worth the additional cost. One of the biggest benefits over my previous flip phone was that mobile Safari actually felt like a web browser, instead of a choppily scrolling list of text and images with all styling stripped of it. Another was that I could easily plug in my existing email address into the mail client and quickly write emails almost as easily as if I were on a desktop. The broad availability of apps was another big plus. I should mention that by then I already loved the Mac, but while that probably contributed to my eventual decision, being made by Apple was not by itself enough of a reason to get an iPhone - hence I didn't own one until the 4.

The iPhone 4 was great for a while, and then the 4S was better but I don't always feel the need to get the newest just because it's the newest. So I waited for the iPhone 5. However once again the contract was an issue. When you are considering changing carriers or even changing countries the last thing you want to do is get locked into a contract. I waited for the unlocked 5 to become available, and paid full price. I'm still getting good use out of it and am hoping to get by with not needing to upgrade again until the iPhone 7 (or whatever it's called by then) comes out.

Android has tempted me with its openness at times, but I'm still not convinced it would feel as streamlined as iOS. I don't love iOS by the way, as it feels limited to me in many ways. Not limited by a lack of technology, but by Apple's choices to limit it by omitting certain functionality or forcing functionality through an Apple paradigm even when it's not in the best interest of the the user. But do I want to use Android which feels comparatively cluttered and not as smooth, not as integrated, and is made by Google whose very business model is built on privacy invasion? Not so much. Also Samsung makes crap. Honestly neither option dazzles me these days. We'll see if the Ubuntu phone can save the day, haha, but I'm not getting my hopes too high. For now I stay with the iPhone.

Last edited:

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Build Quality
Ecosystem
App quality
Software (this has degraded)

Mainly because I love how the hardware, software, and App Store are all hosted by the same company with a limited product line. I never like Android because there was no set standard place for apps (they have the Android Marketplace or Google Play store now). It seems nauseating to me to have one of a few thousand android device variants and never know if you're getting the new software update. There is no readily available place to go for an issue unless you exchange it at the retailer. Overall, Apple's system just seemed simpler and more straightforward while the Android system seemed too chaotic.

However, a Google Nexus running pure Android cures many of these issues.

Ipadlover29

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2011
Continuity and handoff features
Good support
High resale value
Easy to use/ everything just works
App selection and quality
Battery life
Camera
Build quality
Lots of accessories

Dewfang

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2014
Asking why anyone originally bought an iPhone is a better indicator.

I bought the original because it was a groundbreaking device. I already owned a MacBook, a G4, and some iPods.

iPhone made sense.

And it still does. Another vote for ecosystem. Bonus points for security.

When I find something that works I stick with it!

Calebtt

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2012
I was a Long time Android user, but there were always iPhones in my Family, I bought the iP5s when it was released because of Touch Id, and the Camera, now I have the iP6.

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
I'm not 100% of this, but I believe on Android they don't do push email at all. I do know that I always get email on my phone before it shows up on my desktop.

Also, to answer the question (I mean I answered it before, but I'm on iOS again so I should answer a second time), integration. I use OSX, and my car has an iPhone interface, so it was kind of annoying using some hacky workarounds to get everything to communicate with each other when "use an iPhone" would have solved it all.
It depends on the program and the e-mail provider. Gmail pushes, Outlook pushes, but some "other" e-mail accounts you setup only run on scheduled intervals.

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
I bought the iphone 5s about a month ago. My reasons for choosing it were as follows:

I already had a macbook Air and a mini iPad retina, both of which I was very satisfied with. I felt it made sense to move to one platform, so I'd only have a common os to deal with, and to make sure it's easy to keep things in sync.

I like the form factor of the 5s; nice and compact. Using the iPad mini, I don't feel I need a larger phone as well. If Apple discontinues support for the 5s, I may have to re-evaluate my choice of phone, but until then, I'm very satisfied with the 5s.

The camera is easy to use and takes nice pictures. I'm no photographer, so I wanted something that was easy to use. My main complaint with my previous phone, a first generation Moto X, was the pictures weren't very good.

I figured the iPhone would be a solid safe choice and so far that has been born out. My previous phone, while it worked fine, had some quirks. Sometimes my cheek would brush it when making a phone call, cutting off the call. The phone would sometimes talk to me from my pocket, or make unwanted calls. And for a period, the time was set an hour ahead for reasons I never quite figured out, eventually set back. I've found the screen is easier to see in daylight as well. So far the iPhone has been comfortably predictable.

I was also attracted to the touch ID.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
My love affair with the iPhone started back on rollout weekend back in 2007. I had been a Palm user for years, with my last Palm being a "smartphone" model. The iPhone was what I thought a smartphone should be.

As time went on the App Store kept me with the iPhone, as well as seamless iTunes. The next iPhone was the 4, followed by the 5. And now the the 6+. Apple Pay was a huge draw, as well as Health Kit...

warnerve

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2014
-Excellent build quality
- Consistent battery life
- Great performance
- Almost flawless stability
- Very bright display
- Best app quality when compared with Android
- Don't have to wait for carriers when system updates release
- Excellent audio quality
-Touch ID is a blessing

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
I switched from Android back to iPhone because it integrates so much better with the Macs, iPods, and iPads we have in my household.

jpeg42

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Orygun
Because its the only phone all the grandparents can figure out and they want to see their grandkids on Facetime. And since they all have iPhones, iMessage and photo sharing albums is a nice plus.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
Apple support (online and in-store)
Design (Yeah, I think the 6 Plus looks good :p)
iCloud integration
Mac integration
Camera
Battery life
Accessory ecosystem
App ecosystem.

That being said, I'm still not sure if it was the best choice. I'm 99% happy with my 6 Plus, that remaining 1% wonders if I should have gotten a Note 4 :mad:

pingfan59

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2011
I had android for 4 years and was annoyed at the constant crashing, having to delete messages etc to speed it up.

The iPhone OS and touchscreen along with the build quality is what keeps me.

The apps and family sharing of photo stream, iMessage, and security of iOS and MacOS also help seal the deal.

My MBP from 2011 is still going strong and works seamlessly with my iPhone on various apps such as iCloud, Dropbox, photo stream, iMessage, evernote, etc

Also excited that Microsoft has fully independent office apps for iOS now, so that was the only drawback of being able to open and edit office documents.

Kiimora

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
London UK
firstly, because thankfully we all can:D
secondly, i had reclaimed my soul from blackberry
thirdly i had iPad 3 just upgraded to Air 2 & decided to match with iPhone 6

above everything else the usability & quality factors of Apple products did the trick

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
After 4 great years on Android I was finally ready to invest in a phone I felt was the king of mobile phones. Over 2 years with the iPhone and I am still enjoying it. It works well and is the best looking and most reliable phone I have ever owned. :D

brgjoe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2014
Central IL, USA.
I also come from 4 years in the Android universe (Sprint Epic 4G Galaxy S phone). While it was a decent enough experience, I just wanted to "see how the other half lives" so to speak.

So when the iPhone6 came out, I decided at that time it would be a good time to switch phones (and OS's). So I preordered the 64GB iPhone6 via Sprint's website.

It's been a great experience so far. I was a bit worried that the email system (Zimbra) that we use here won't be as good with the stock Apple email program as it was with my Android app I was using before. If anything though, it's been better and certainly faster with the stock email program under iOS. It's been fantastic to this point.

And everything else is working just fine too. My only little nitpicks (and it would be seriously picking nits here), I do miss my widgets. Would be great to have the outside temperature constantly displayed on my screen. The volume of the receiver was better with my old Android unit.

But other than that, I couldn't be happier with my iPhone. It's been flawless so far.

blueflower

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2006
THIRD PARTY SUPPORT

The original iPhone, even before the AppStore, STILL had more peripherals, cases, and forum support than any other model of phone since (perhaps combined).

Then the AppStore came, jailbreaking was no longer necessary to have the phone on par with the Symbian OS that was the best alternative at the time, and it's been all downhill since.

Now every iDevice I buy I have an INSTANT software library of 1000's of apps I own, they are constantly innovating with new apps/games, and the jailbreak scene has taken customization to the same level (if not beyond when you consider polish and usability) of the Android phones that people always gripe have more "customizability" as the main buying factor.

If you want the best of every world, it is impossible to beat a jailbroken 5S. My buddies at work (including a guy who was like me pre-iPhone and buys a new phone quarterly) always show off their new non-iPhone, only to get something new a few months later.

People who own iPhones buy NEW iPhones. At a much greater %. I don't have the statistics to cite, but I believe it's almost double (and it would be more, were it not for an admirable showing from the SGS line). If you don't like the phone enough to buy it's successor when the hype dies down, then that's enough evidence to me that I'm not missing out :p.

There are more subtle reasons too: like first party support. Have a problem? Go to the Apple store. Chances are, especially if it's a defect, you're leaving THAT DAY with the problem solved. There is NO other phone out there with the support network Apple has.

I could go on and on and on, but it's an easy choice. It is, has been, and will likely continue to be for some time. Period.

Hello are you a blueflower clone? Lol my thoughts exactly I could not have said it better. Currently, ios customizations exceed and are if better quality that android hands down. I also agree that a smartphone better than a jailbroken 5s just does not exist in 2014.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.