Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VeronicaChen

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2014
Beijing, China
TBH for a long time I've been against the aggressive, intrusive marketing tactics of Apple (saviour of humanity??) and their attempts to unify everyone under the 'i' brand. So, my first iPhone has been not earlier than 4s. I started looking at Apple's developments more as a constant strive for innovation rather than Mr.'s Jobs tendencies, and so I am now a proud owner of their smartphone. :) and really enjoying it!

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
I've been using Apple products on and off my whole life. I ended up becoming a hard-core Mac user in late-2009. Just before that, my dad got the first iPhone in the family, an iPhone 3G in early 2009 which I would constantly ask to use whenever I could. I had to satisfy the craving and got an iPod touch 3rd Gen. I loved the iPhone, but I wasn't willing to leave my good service with Verizon to get one.

Just after the iPhone 4 came out, rumors started coming in regularly for a Verizon model. I waited, until the date came. February 3rd, 2011, armed with my New Every 2 upgrade, ordered the 32GB iPhone 4 for $250 (NE2 was a $50 discount) at midnight Pacific and was one of the lucky ones to get it Feb 7th.

The main reasons besides loving the OS were:

Easy of Use
Build Quality
US-based Tech Support
Ecosystem

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
It was miles ahead of the competition when I first got one (2007), and I've been more than happy ever since, so why switch?

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
Back in 2010 I would always carry around my iPod and flipphone and decided that only carrying one device would be much more convenient so I bought the iPhone 4.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
THIRD PARTY SUPPORT

The original iPhone, even before the AppStore, STILL had more peripherals, cases, and forum support than any other model of phone since (perhaps combined).

Then the AppStore came, jailbreaking was no longer necessary to have the phone on par with the Symbian OS that was the best alternative at the time, and it's been all downhill since.

Now every iDevice I buy I have an INSTANT software library of 1000's of apps I own, they are constantly innovating with new apps/games, and the jailbreak scene has taken customization to the same level (if not beyond when you consider polish and usability) of the Android phones that people always gripe have more "customizability" as the main buying factor.

If you want the best of every world, it is impossible to beat a jailbroken 5S. My buddies at work (including a guy who was like me pre-iPhone and buys a new phone quarterly) always show off their new non-iPhone, only to get something new a few months later.

People who own iPhones buy NEW iPhones. At a much greater %. I don't have the statistics to cite, but I believe it's almost double (and it would be more, were it not for an admirable showing from the SGS line). If you don't like the phone enough to buy it's successor when the hype dies down, then that's enough evidence to me that I'm not missing out :p.

There are more subtle reasons too: like first party support. Have a problem? Go to the Apple store. Chances are, especially if it's a defect, you're leaving THAT DAY with the problem solved. There is NO other phone out there with the support network Apple has.

I could go on and on and on, but it's an easy choice. It is, has been, and will likely continue to be for some time. Period.

nebrot

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2011
北京 (Beijing)
Because of the integration, I can carry my music and other media on this sleek device, which in addition is a pleasure to use because of its hard- and software. To me this is the best whole concept available so far, especiaslly if you own more Apple devices.

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
There are more subtle reasons too: like first party support. Have a problem? Go to the Apple store. Chances are, especially if it's a defect, you're leaving THAT DAY with the problem solved. There is NO other phone out there with the support network Apple has.

What the heck? Aside of the fact, that the closest Apple Store is a two hour international flight away, I can take a defect $0.20 cigarrette lighter to the store I got it from and get a new one on the spot, not just if I got lucky. The thought of having to take my chances with a phone does definitely not sound like a selling feature. Actually, that sounds like absolutely horrible customer service.

Or maybe I didn't quite understand what you are trying to say?

Serelus

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2009
Vm9pZA
ease of use
Ecosystem
I support American companies
Build quality
Features

This plus the fact that when something is wrong with my iPhone I can just walk into an Apple store, and they either fix the problem or replace the Phone entirely. No beating around the bush about what is covered by warranty and what isn't.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
At the time, they were really the only ones out there, and since then I've become fully entrenched in the iOS ecosystem. I have used Android before, for a year or two but came back to the fold as I found the iPhone to give me everything I needed in both the hardware and software. I cannot say the same for my android phones.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
What the heck? Aside of the fact, that the closest Apple Store is a two hour international flight away, I can take a defect $0.20 cigarrette lighter to the store I got it from and get a new one on the spot, not just if I got lucky. The thought of having to take my chances with a phone does definitely not sound like a selling feature. Actually, that sounds like absolutely horrible customer service.

Or maybe I didn't quite understand what you are trying to say?

Two flight hrs from the nearest Apple Store ..... still wondering what are you doing in this forum.
Btw you totally misunderstand his post.

SomeGuyDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2011
NEPA
Crazy late adopter here. I was anti-Apple because I hated the hipster image the brand had as well as the dislike of the closed off ecosystem they apparently wanted everyone to use (to this day I hate iTunes).

Late last year, roundabout Black Friday, I took a leap of faith and bought a Macbook Pro. I loved it, so I figured I might as well dive in and go all iOS. The 5s was my first iDevice and I traded a Galaxy S4 for it. To put it mildly, I'm glad I did.

Alimar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2014
New York State
Ever since I was a child, I wanted a 'Videophone', and when the first iPhone was announced... I got one. And then another... until it became a Videophone.

techiebug

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2013
Why did you buy an iPhone?

I'm using both the Note 4 and iphone 6. I'm still thinking which device should go back. I'm more and more prefer the iPhone now but mainly because I've used android for 2 years so I need something new. The big advantage of ios is the app store. So many quality apps. Also push email/ message on iphone is FAST. I receive them instantly even faster than on computer. On Android there's a delay about 10s - 1 min.

SomeGuyDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2011
NEPA
I'm using both the Note 4 and iphone 6. I'm still thinking which device should go back. I'm more and more prefer the iPhone now but mainly because I've used android for 2 years so I need something new. The big advantage of ios is the app store. So many quality apps. Also push email/ message on iphone is FAST. I receive them instantly even faster than on computer. On Android there's a delay about 10s - 1 min.

I'm not 100% of this, but I believe on Android they don't do push email at all. I do know that I always get email on my phone before it shows up on my desktop.

Also, to answer the question (I mean I answered it before, but I'm on iOS again so I should answer a second time), integration. I use OSX, and my car has an iPhone interface, so it was kind of annoying using some hacky workarounds to get everything to communicate with each other when "use an iPhone" would have solved it all.

smooth

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2007
Detroit
Back in 2010 I would always carry around my iPod and flipphone and decided that only carrying one device would be much more convenient so I bought the iPhone 4.

I switched to a MacBook in 2007 which got me started in the Apple Ecosystem. Although the iPhone interested me when it was released, I didn't need a smart phone. I had my MacBook at home and was in front of a computer all day at work.

So on a daily basis I carried around my "dumb" phone, iPod and Day Planner. In 2010 I switched jobs and was no longer in front of a computer every day. I picked up an iPhone 4, signed up for iCloud and ditched the iPod and Day Planner.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.