Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 15, 2016
Simply, Tim Cook gets Apple at its core. Tim understands the qualities that the Apple company is all about. Tim was there at the beginning of Apple's resurrection in the late 1990s. But, more subtly, it was a short but important and instinctive reaction to a question about why Apple didn't include 'Intel Inside' stickers on its products at a question and answer session on the new aluminium iMac in 2007. Tim Cook's reaction so very clearly describes what Apple is and what Apple isn't about. This gives me confidence Tim will learn from some issues of recent history related to pricing and design values and guide Apple shortly to new successes into the future and revive the original core of Apple's loyal but sometimes despairing customer base.

From 0:36

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Simply, Tim Cook gets Apple at its core.
How did you come to that conclusion from that video? Perhaps I missed it, but he did not participate in any of the Q&A he just sat there. Just because he was with Jobs from early on, does not equate to him being someone to have confidence in leading apple. There are qualities that make a good CEO, and for Apple I'd say we need someone who has a vision to lead Apple. I'm not so sure Cook as all that it takes to lead Apple. He can managed the corporation and he's done a good job at that, but leading it, nurturing innovation, taking chances on products - that I don't see. Instead we get thinner iPads, phones, laptops and iMacs.

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 15, 2016
How did you come to that conclusion from that video? Perhaps I missed it, but he did not participate in any of the Q&A he just sat there. Just because he was with Jobs from early on, does not equate to him being someone to have confidence in leading apple. There are qualities that make a good CEO, and for Apple I'd say we need someone who has a vision to lead Apple. I'm not so sure Cook as all that it takes to lead Apple. He can managed the corporation and he's done a good job at that, but leading it, nurturing innovation, taking chances on products - that I don't see. Instead we get thinner iPads, phones, laptops and iMacs.
One doesn't need to say something to be expressing a view, a value, a position. At 0:46, Tim expresses his complete rejection of the superfluous and notion of a lack of simplicity, he laughs at the absurdity of 'Intel Inside' stickers being put on products.

Tim Cook wasn't just with Steve Jobs from early on, he was with Steve Jobs at the moment in time when the new Apple was being born and has been just as much critical to the nurturing of the company. Now I think there are aspects that Tim can do better at Apple for example regarding their offshore workforce standards for example. However, Tim is very much part of the good forward thinking aspects of the Apple "cult". Tim decided against staying at Compaq and chose instead to help sculpt the Apple we know today starting from 1998 onwards.

Thinner products aren't an issue with the exception that the design and function must remain paramount; a simple test is protruding cameras which fails the design aspect, and lesser battery capacity which fails the functional aspect.

It's early days still, Tim has only been in the position for five years. And while he will continue to be compared with Steve Jobs probably forever, it was Steve and the board's decision to name Tim as CEO. And the decision was right. Only those with an intimate understanding of the core values should be Apple CEO, and not those individuals with corrupted values that might take the Apple ship out to sea and sink it.

Reactions: grahamperrin

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Simply, Tim Cook gets Apple at its core. Tim understands the qualities that the Apple company is all about. Tim was there at the beginning of Apple's resurrection in the late 1990s. But, more subtly, it was a short but important and instinctive reaction to a question about why Apple didn't include 'Intel Inside' stickers on its products at a question and answer session on the new aluminium iMac in 2007. Tim Cook's reaction so very clearly describes what Apple is and what Apple isn't about. This gives me confidence Tim will learn from some issues of recent history related to pricing and design values and guide Apple shortly to new successes into the future and revive the original core of Apple's loyal but sometimes despairing customer base.

From 0:36

But hasn't Apple lost its way under him? https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...eve-jobs’-love-of-simplicity-is-gone.1975476/

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 15, 2016
Not entirely sure what your point is. That's an article I posted in June for discussion on perspectives from Ken Segall. Interestingly, the original title of that article on the Guardian website was "How Apple lost its way: Steve Jobs' love of simplicity is gone", but the article has since been retitled to "Has Apple lost its simplicity?". I've never said Apple has lost its way under Tim Cook, but I do believe Apple's air of simplicity is not entirely pure at this point in time. Apple has some problems, sure, and I'll point them out as I see it, but Tim Cook is the right CEO for Apple long term.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Its funny how Steve can sit there with a straight face, (or grin) and say "We don't put stickers on the box"

That may be true, but unbox a Mac and you'll see stickers *IN* the box :) \

Reactions: Weaselboy

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
What's your point? That still disgusts me. But, I'm not disgusted in Tim. Apple has some problems, sure, and I'll point them out as I see it, but Tim Cook is the right CEO for Apple long term as I pointed out earlier.

Um, he is running the company, so Tim Cook and the company are one and the same.

Another pointless thread.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 15, 2016
Um, he is running the company, so Tim Cook and the company are one and the same.

Another pointless thread.
No, what is pointless is your post. I can't instruct you what to post here, but I've created a thread with my perspective, the least you could do is put forward your own views and discussion instead of trawl past posts and draw conclusions that aren't true.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
I supported Tim completely.

Then...
He put social issues and politics out front.
He let fame influence him.
He lost focus.

Now I abhor Tim Cook.

Short paragraphs.

So pleasant is the shape that they make, I think it is haiku.
Sunshine outside my window, I contemplate.
Then …
Abhorrence sensed, and
a cat rolls across my keyboard but it is
Winter.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
No, what is pointless is your post. I can't instruct you what to post here, but I've created a thread with my perspective, the least you could do is put forward your own views and discussion instead of trawl past posts and draw conclusions that aren't true.
Seems like for whatever reasons the "perspectives" almost randomly just flip flop around, making them rather pointless in that sense.

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 15, 2016
Seems like for whatever reasons the "perspectives" almost randomly just flip flop around, making them rather pointless in that sense.
I'm not flip flopping. I've been consistent on Tim Cook. I don't understand the Tim Cook hater brigade.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Simply, Tim Cook gets Apple at its core. Tim understands the qualities that the Apple company is all about.
So you say Cook understands apple, and what its important for apple and he gets "it"

But then you complain about Apple's current decisions (under Cook): How Apple lost its way: Steve Jobs’ love of simplicity is gone

Then you post this: This thing really disgusts me about Apple
This thing really disgusts me about Apple -- selling old technology for exorbitant pricing.

How is this even conscionable, Apple?

13-inch MacBook Pro.
Four year old CPU. Four year old RAM. Four year old technology. ZERO upgrades in four years. Terrible benchmarks.

Guess who's been running the company that you seem to hate?

Here's what I don't get, you're extremely critical of Apple, its business decisions, its direction and its move away from simplicity but you're praising the man who made those decisions
[doublepost=1471279364][/doublepost]
One doesn't need to say something to be expressing a view, a value, a position.
You're basing your entire opinion on the quality of Cook's leadership and his understanding of all the intangible that make Apple great on a video where he doesn't utter a word but slightly smirks/giggles at a notion of stickers. I have to say that's paper thin and you certainly can find something more robust on whether Cook has a good grasp of what makes Apple great.

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 15, 2016
So you say Cook understands apple, and what its important for apple and he gets "it"

But then you complain about Apple's current decisions (under Cook): How Apple lost its way: Steve Jobs’ love of simplicity is gone

Here's what I don't get, you're extremely critical of Apple, its business decisions, its direction and its move away from simplicity but you're praising the man who made those decisions
I'm simply saying Tim Cook should remain as Apple CEO. All this nonsense saying Tim Cook should go is utter rubbish and a superb way to destabilize what is on balance a good business. There have been some very odd product decisions, which I make my criticisms of very loudly. But can this really be completely blamed on one person? No. I don't think that is reasonable to put the blame on Tim Cook who has been in the top position for only five years. In another five years, if things aren't changed, it might be reasonable to expect that I would have a different view.
[doublepost=1471279844][/doublepost]

You're basing your entire opinion on the quality of Cook's leadership and his understanding of all the intangible that make Apple great on a video where he doesn't utter a word but slightly smirks/giggles at a notion of stickers. I have to say that's paper thin and you certainly can find something more robust on whether Cook has a good grasp of what makes Apple great.
This argument isn't paper thin. This is just one aspect. I'd much prefer someone who actually at their heart gets why crappy stickers are a problem. If I'm reading it correctly, you seem to be against Cook as CEO, if so, maybe you could elaborate on your views of why?

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015

Good eye, Detective.
Maybe it's one of those, "how I feel about him at the moment."
[doublepost=1471280174][/doublepost]
I'm simply saying Tim Cook should remain as Apple CEO. All this nonsense saying Tim Cook should go is utter rubbish and a superb way to destabilize what is on balance a good business. There have been some very odd product decisions, which I make my criticisms of very loudly. But can this really be completely blamed on one person? No. I don't think that is reasonable to put the blame on Tim Cook who has been in the top position for only five years. In another five years, if things aren't changed, it might be reasonable to expect that I would have a different view.
[doublepost=1471279844][/doublepost]
This argument isn't paper thin. This is just one aspect. I'd much prefer someone who actually at their heart gets why crappy stickers are a problem. If I'm reading it correctly, you seem to be against Cook as CEO, if so, maybe you could elaborate on your views of why?
You praise him....that's fine, but you bash him with those negative comments about the products under his supervision.

Last edited:

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 15, 2016
Good eye, Detective.
Maybe it's one of those, "how I feel about him at the moment."
[doublepost=1471280174][/doublepost]
You praise him....that's fine, but you bash him with those negative comments about the products under his supervision.
Wait a minute. I "bash" some products, the ones I think that are poorly done. Can I not do that? But I praise many others. It's possible to have a variety of views.
One of my favorite products under Tim Cook's vision is the iPad mini 4. That is one of Apple's most cleanest and well designed products. No rubbish bands, protruding cameras, or smart connectors. Perfectly executed.

4266101cv12d.jpg

ipad-mini-4-201509-gallery1_2.jpg

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
can this really be completely blamed on one person? No.

Agreed.

That's one of the reasons why I'd like to see more openness and open source.

https://github.com/apple/ is a good thing, new to me (I'm more familiar with http://www.macosforge.org/) but some other things that remain predominantly closed could, should have been so much better if openness had occurred earlier.

FLOSS and the like are not panaceas, and it's not easy to transition from a closed community, but they're good directions.

Reactions: smacrumon

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
Wait a minute. I "bash" some products, the ones I think that are poorly done. Can I not do that? But I praise many others. It's possible to have a variety of views.
One of my favorite products under Tim Cook's vision is the iPad mini 4. That is one of Apple's most cleanest and well designed products. No rubbish bands, protruding cameras, or smart connectors. Perfectly executed.
Maybe..you could have said something like, "apple products these days aren't so great...hmm...they need an update."
The comments that Maflynn pointed out are the indications that you are heavily disappointed with Apple...under his supervision. Don't you think those comments that moderator pointed out were a bit heavy? Wether you like apple products or not..that's fine and dandy...but this whole topic of why you have confidence in him is pretty much backed with "???" video. You are saying that his little smirk is a true indicator of how apple is gonna be? What if he was just thinking about something else? What if he was telling himself that he wants to go home? How do you know what he's thinking?

th.jpeg

This is Charlie Manson....incase you don't know.
If he was smirking at you...i'm sure he wants to be your best friend, right?

Edit: I do think Apple is lacking on product side/or being updated....but financial side..he's doing great.

Last edited:
Reactions: Weaselboy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.