Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cyrax83

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2006
iPad Air still a bit too heavy.

For me it's iPhone + Retina Mini + 13" Macbook Air

Fills in all the gaps nicely. Even if iPhone 6 goes 5 inch, the 7.9" Retina Mini should still be future proof enough imo.

Aetherhole

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2009
Tustin, CA

Fills in all the gaps nicely. Even if iPhone 6 goes 5 inch, the 7.9" Retina Mini should still be future proof enough imo.

Can't really argue that! I guess it just depends on the gaps you are trying to fill. I am going from a 5" phone, HTC One, to a 15" rMBP. So I guess the logical step in between was the 9.7" iPad Air! :)

bigjim83

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2011
I can put the mini in my dress pants pocket. I don't leave it in there all day but when I need to do something I pop it in my pocket take care of the task and take it back out and continue on with my daily notes.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
For me iPad Air is perfect. The weight and width reduction, speedier SoC and same battery life renders the Mini obsolete in my case. Sure I'd love higher PPI on Mini but what can I say, I'm a "go big or go home" kind of guy.

In that case, my Apple computing hardware would be: iMac, iPad, iPhone ..
Oh well I love this setup, going with all "i" product labeling is a nice bonus. Kinda gives me a sense of convergence and neater too :p

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
I'm going from an iPad Mini to the Air chiefly because I do quite a bit of remote/screen sharing stuff and my ageing eyes (and fairly large hands) can struggle at times.

This is not to say that I won't buy a Retina Mini later on, of course. :D

The Mini is a lovely device, very portable and it sits in my hand very comfortably, much more so than my 2012 Nexus 7. So I'll probably have a play around with the new Mini when it's out and in store, just to see how it feels.

Interesting. We have some similar reasons. However the nexus 7 2013 is way more easily held than the mini(it's similar but perhaps a bit more comfortable), but the screen size difference is substantial, more so than paper would suggest.

I'm considering ipad air nexus 7 but I'm on the fence with all the choices. I do like the air, and the mini screen looks awful and it's super slow. But the same specs in the mini with retina...mighty tempting. For RDP and VNC though, the full size wins for sure.

That70sGAdawg

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2008
Athens, GA USA
The size of the air is perfect. The larger screen much easier to read webpages. Unless it fits in a suit jacket or normal pocket like the Nexus 7-what's the point of a mini?

Misskitty

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
Well it depends on the person, but once you use the airs big screen, it sucks going back to the minis.

Dlanod

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
UK

Snap. Identical set up here plus a 21.5" iMac.

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
The size of the air is perfect. The larger screen much easier to read webpages. Unless it fits in a suit jacket or normal pocket like the Nexus 7-what's the point of a mini?

The mini does fit in a typical suit pocket (I wouldn't want to carry an Ipad in a pants pocket). The Nexus 7 with its smaller screen and 16:10 aspect ratio is not as good for reading pdfs. For me, the mini is a perfect trade off between portability and size. Yes, webpages are a bit easier to read on the Air, but for me the loss of portability wouldn't be worth it; I can certainly see why it would be worth it to others.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I agree iPad Air is finally lighter and easier to carry than ever before. The size of the iPad is one of the big reasons why I always got frustrated and sold each one that I tried out before.

But the iPad Mini is the perfect tablet size and hits that sweet spot between my iPhone 5S and Macbook Pro 13". Spec wise the Mini Retina is right there with the iPad Air so I'd take it all day.

Misskitty

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
The mini does fit in a typical suit pocket (I wouldn't want to carry an Ipad in a pants pocket). The Nexus 7 with its smaller screen and 16:10 aspect ratio is not as good for reading pdfs. For me, the mini is a perfect trade off between portability and size. Yes, webpages are a bit easier to read on the Air, but for me the loss of portability wouldn't be worth it; I can certainly see why it would be worth it to others.

Whenever i hear someone say that the mini is too small, text is too small, all i can suggest is eye exam and glasses. You have bigger concerns that an ipad trust me.

The form factor of the mini just cant be beat. Its much more versatile, thumb typing on it is equally comfortable in all positions, full and split boarsds. Cant say the same for the air. Being able pocket it is a huge selling factor and why its on higher demand than full size ipads since it came out last year. Try taking an air with you to the grocery store or mall. Better put that backpack on, youll need it.

----------

I agree iPad Air is finally lighter and easier to carry than ever before. The size of the iPad is one of the big reasons why I always got frustrated and sold each one that I tried out before.

But the iPad Mini is the perfect tablet size and hits that sweet spot between my iPhone 5S and Macbook Pro 13". Spec wise the Mini Retina is right there with the iPad Air so I'd take it all day.

Even with my phone 5" screen, i find the mini better compliments it and my 13" MBP better. Even though on paper, one will say, well ots only 3" bigger but if you look at the pics posted, that 3" gives me 50-60% more screen.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
The air is my preferred device for the beautiful screen that is easier to read, but it doesn't fit in my purse and therefore stays home. The rMini goes with me everywhere and while out I rarely use it long enough to have eye strain from the small print (my problem because of age). I love having both.

Misskitty

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
The air is my preferred device for the beautiful screen that is easier to read, but it doesn't fit in my purse and therefore stays home. The rMini goes with me everywhere and while out I rarely use it long enough to have eye strain from the small print (my problem because of age). I love having both.

Having both is overkill. There is no benefit.

richardbb85

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2009

the air is 1lb ish, if that is too heavy u have issue

Misskitty

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
seems to me she listed the benefit in her post - she takes the mini with her and leaves the air at home.

And that is a huge waste of money. Its like saying I have a 13" laptop for home, and a 11" laptop for on the go. :confused:

Even on tested.com, the reviewer said it as well.

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
I agree that you'll never fit an iPad Air into your pocket but I'd say it's made the decision in getting a mini more difficult for those people.

While I chose the mini, I do agree with this point. I briefly considered the Air, as the sacrifice in additional size and weight was so much smaller than it had been before.

On the other hand, it might work the other way too. The availability of a mini with a retina screen and an A7 processor might have made the decision of getting an Air more difficult for others. :)

JSalig

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2010
And that is a huge waste of money. Its like saying I have a 13" laptop for home, and a 11" laptop for on the go. :confused:

Even on tested.com, the reviewer said it as well.

What are you, her accountant? If someone is in a good enough place in life where they can afford to splurge like that, good for them!

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008

For some people, an extra tablet, or even an extra laptop, isn't a lot of money. If you can afford it, why not have two tablets or two laptops? I mean, I currently have a desktop I keep at home, and a laptop I mostly keep at my office. I *could* get rid of the desktop and just make do with carrying the laptop back and forth, but why do it when I can afford both? And yes, I could afford both an Air and rMini if I wanted, it just so happens that for me, the Air is good enough. But I can see why some people would want both. And I wouldn't call it a waste of money without knowing the exact circumstance. Sometimes it can be, but sometimes it isn't.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.