Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
And that is a huge waste of money. Its like saying I have a 13" laptop for home, and a 11" laptop for on the go. :confused:

Even on tested.com, the reviewer said it as well.

if you need someone on a website to tell you how to spend your money maybe you shouldn't be counting someone else's.

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
Bought the Air, rMini, and N7.2, used for two weeks and returned the rMini. The N7 is more "pocketable", and being bi-O/S, like to use both universes.

Misskitty

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
For some people, an extra tablet, or even an extra laptop, isn't a lot of money. If you can afford it, why not have two tablets or two laptops? I mean, I currently have a desktop I keep at home, and a laptop I mostly keep at my office. I *could* get rid of the desktop and just make do with carrying the laptop back and forth, but why do it when I can afford both? And yes, I could afford both an Air and rMini if I wanted, it just so happens that for me, the Air is good enough. But I can see why some people would want both. And I wouldn't call it a waste of money without knowing the exact circumstance. Sometimes it can be, but sometimes it isn't.

I guess

----------

Seems to me you have had both for awhile because you can't decide. Just pick one - they're the same. :D

I have decided, my god was torture and took 16 days and even then it wasnt a clear winner. I easily could have just flipped a coin. But when it came to me going to Best Buy yesterday to return the air, I couldnt do it. Put it in the box, was about to restore it to factory settings before taking it in. Couldnt do it. Drove back home lol.

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2003
The N7 is a fantastic device and I had one for a while, but I think the app quality is nowhere near as good as iOS so I stay clear of Android.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
And that is a huge waste of money. Its like saying I have a 13" laptop for home, and a 11" laptop for on the go. :confused:

Even on tested.com, the reviewer said it as well.

Posted by MissKitty on Dec 10:

"I know, its been 15 days now since i got both, and since ive found different purposes in my life for both, ive decided the best solution is perhaps to keep both, even though Id rather not. I dont want to, cause i find it redundant, but for me there might not be any happy medium cause both have pros and cons. The cons of one device, the other doesnt have, and the pros of one device, the other doesnt have."

Misskitty

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
Posted by MissKitty on Dec 10:

"I know, its been 15 days now since i got both, and since ive found different purposes in my life for both, ive decided the best solution is perhaps to keep both, even though Id rather not. I dont want to, cause i find it redundant, but for me there might not be any happy medium cause both have pros and cons. The cons of one device, the other doesnt have, and the pros of one device, the other doesnt have."

I still wont allow myself to keep both.

Anyway, what i asked myself last night was, if both were the exact same price, which would i choose? Itd be the air, not cause its more money, but because i just see it as a better value with the bigger and better full gamut screen. It is sure nice to have the bigger screen.

After almost 3 weeks now, ive come to a conclusion that i could live with either one. The mini is more of a sure thing simple cause i already had the 1st for a year and fell in love with the form factor. Thinking back, there wasnt really a time where i wished i had a bigger screen, but there was times here and there, where i knew it would be nice. Whereas the air is more untested cause its larger, have to factor in that when i had the ipad 2, i absolutely hated it simple cause of the size.

The big question is whether $150 (including tax and case) more for the air is worth it. For me its $150, cause if i kept the air, the protection id put on is smart cover and ghost armour on the back. Simply cause i would not put a case on as i find it adds too much and just makes the ipad feel like a regular ipad again. And i found all of a sudden typing on it to be uncomfortable again.

Whereas on the mini, the case id get is $30, hard shell, front smart like cover. I can easily use a case on the mini cause of its size.

Last edited:

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
I just returned the rMini and got the Air. I didn't even pay any attention to the Air when it was released, and purposely waited for the mini to come out. But it turns out the Air is better for me.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
One handed use is still not possible on the Air. The Mini is much more compact.

Personally, the Mini's speakers are vastly superior to the 3 Airs I attempted to own - they're not tin canny/distorted on a middle or high volume. That's huge for me. Are they fabulous speakers, no, but they're just fine for what I want.

I am not worrying about the gamut or RAM since these never bothered me before.

I can read as easily on a Mini as I can an Air now. More portable too.

Havok83

macrumors regular
May 12, 2012
I have an Air but if I had the money, I'd get a Mini as well. Not a dan of typing on the Air and it's too big to hold with one hand. I feel the Mini would be easier to use in bed

Misskitty

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
I have an Air but if I had the money, I'd get a Mini as well. Not a dan of typing on the Air and it's too big to hold with one hand. I feel the Mini would be easier to use in bed

Yip, mini is better in hand. You can try thumb typing on the air with split board but it doesnt match the rmini for comfort.

quamsi

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2013
Yip, mini is better in hand. You can try thumb typing on the air with split board but it doesnt match the rmini for comfort.

You really need to quit resurrecting dead threads in order to argue your point. It's almost like you scour the search function in order to find topics, no matter how old, to agree or disagree with. You love your Mini, fantastic. Glad you made up your mind, but it really isn't a debate.

You claim to own a slew of products both IOS, Android and windows. Go enjoy them instead of beating all the poor dead horses.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
You really need to quit resurrecting dead threads in order to argue your point. It's almost like you scour the search function in order to find topics, no matter how old, to agree or disagree with. You love your Mini, fantastic. Glad you made up your mind, but it really isn't a debate.

You claim to own a slew of products both IOS, Android and windows. Go enjoy them instead of beating all the poor dead horses.

just a troll.....

he/she has created over 30 threads in less than 30 days. i get tired of seeing that name pop up. unfortunately, when you put them on ignore you can still see the name if someone quotes them ;)

jetlagged

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2012
i just got a mini today. felt its the perfect companion to my 13 inch macbook air. I plan to travel around the world next year, so the more compact and lightweight it is the better. although the ipad air feels very light, i just couldn't justify the size of it in addition to my macbook air 13. having a mini retina ipad feels like theres no added weight, no added bulk to my backpack.

Last edited:

Hello...

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2011
I agree that you'll never fit an iPad Air into your pocket but I'd say it's made the decision in getting a mini more difficult for those people.

For the extra screen size you're really not compromising on that much.
I had the air, sent it back and prefer the Mini also had a apple code for 45.00 off ;)

nStyle

macrumors 65832
Dec 6, 2009
I was a mini 1 owner. Sold for Nexus 7 simply for screen. I was dead set on when mini with retina came out I was going back to apple. I bought a 32g Air and will not be getting the mini 2. The weight and how thin the Air is is simply amazing. The extra screen for just around the house is perfect.

And....that lasted no time at all. By your sig, you now own both. Just goes to show you one's preferences are merely a snapshot in time. They change about as much as people change underwear.

junglesnake

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2011
I just picked up a new rmbp and actually found the air useless as the Mac Pro beat it in every area and weight nearly the same and really isn't much bigger. So I took the air back. Along with all the crashes that were driving me crazy even though I'm a developer and have been running 7.1 which helped a lot. But I picked up a retina mini today instead and really not that impressed with that either. I may return it and just use my pro for everything. Not sure yet but the mini is perfect for someone looking for something smaller and lighter. But the screen does not impress me much but after using the pro for 2 days, nothing really compares to that!

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2003
So got my iPad Air this morning. Upgrading from a 3rd gen version.

First conclusion would be why would anyone need a mini as the air is so much lighter, thinner and easy to hold compared to previous iPads.

You've got the great 9.8 screen but in a smaller case!

Precisely my thoughts when I got my Air. I had a 3rd gen and also a mini which I used for lightness and thinness. Holding rimini's in the store, I can't see any reason to have a mini over an Air anymore unless a more compact tablet is what you need. The Air is so improved that I can't even see a reason to have both anymore either.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
I agree, Air is the ultimate tablet.

Big screen in a light and portable form factor.

Misskitty

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
Precisely my thoughts when I got my Air. I had a 3rd gen and also a mini which I used for lightness and thinness. Holding rimini's in the store, I can't see any reason to have a mini over an Air anymore unless a more compact tablet is what you need. The Air is so improved that I can't even see a reason to have both anymore either.

Form factor. Bigger doesn't always mean better.

The biggest selling factor of the mini is the form factor.

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2008
And....that lasted no time at all. By your sig, you now own both. Just goes to show you one's preferences are merely a snapshot in time. They change about as much as people change underwear.

Very true. I do own both now. They both serve a different purpose for me.

MacMandy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2006
Manchester, UK
Very true. I do own both now. They both serve a different purpose for me.

I'm pretty stuck. I have an iMac which is my main workhorse, no laptop, but I love my ipad air around the house and occasionally out and about. I am borrowing a friend's kindle fire to commute to work and use in my breaks with wifi at work and really like the smaller size. I'm not comfortable taking my 128gb iPad air to work everyday and storing it in my locker. I'm considering a 16gb iPad mini retina for everyday use commuting and using during breaks.

It would be used differently to my air, as in less movies and more ebooks, games, surfing and email. At home, I watch a lot of films & TV on my air.

Anyone have a similar usage?

PerfectCr

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2007
I have been reading many of the "Air vs. rMini" threads because I've been going through the same thought process myself. I owned every iPad since launch and when the original mini came out I sold my iPad 3 to "downgrade" to the mini. I got so used to the mini form factor that I was willing to deal with the lack of a retina display.

I told myself I was ready to move back to the big screen so I got the Air on launch day. I am now typing this from the Retina Mini. Why? I am a heavy business user but also a gamer. The screen on retina mini is amazing and the form factor IMO is the best mix or portability, reading, and gaming. I got so used to the mini form factor I ultimately couldn't go back to the full size iPad.

I also have a self-built serious gaming PC at home and a (company provided) 17" MBP. The mini is the perfect device to fit the middle ground for between all of those devices.

The threads here were really helpful in helping me decide but ultimately the Retina mini is the one I choose. Good luck :)

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
I love my Air but it doesn't fit in my purse. I got the 16GB LTE mini for use away from home.

nStyle

macrumors 65832
Dec 6, 2009
I told myself I was ready to move back to the big screen so I got the Air on launch day. I am now typing this from the Retina Mini. Why? I am a heavy business user but also a gamer. The screen on retina mini is amazing and the form factor IMO is the best mix or portability, reading, and gaming. I got so used to the mini form factor I ultimately couldn't go back to the full size iPad.

I agree. Gaming is definitely better on the Mini because it is so manageable one handed while the other hand is free to maneuver things. Pinching and zooming in games is also easier since there is less space. Maybe if you have enormous hands this is a non issue, but for an average sized hand, I feel the Mini is the perfect form factor.

I would agree with Jobs that the original iPad is probably the perfect size for web browsing and maybe photos, but the Mini is better for nearly everything else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.