Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
I bought a new rmini last week and returned it for the Air. I had used a first generation mini since launch day 2012 and after getting the rmini I found myself missing the larger screen real estate. Also, I have an iPhone 5 that covers nearly all of my portability issues. The 5 can do virtually everything the mini can do and I now have the air for home use. I'm happy.

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2008
I'm pretty stuck. I have an iMac which is my main workhorse, no laptop, but I love my ipad air around the house and occasionally out and about. I am borrowing a friend's kindle fire to commute to work and use in my breaks with wifi at work and really like the smaller size. I'm not comfortable taking my 128gb iPad air to work everyday and storing it in my locker. I'm considering a 16gb iPad mini retina for everyday use commuting and using during breaks.

It would be used differently to my air, as in less movies and more ebooks, games, surfing and email. At home, I watch a lot of films & TV on my air.

Anyone have a similar usage?

I kind of do that. My Air never leaves the house. I have an LTE RMini that I take with me almost all the time when I leave home. I out a black smart case on it, so I can shove under my car seat, glove box, etc and not have damage. The Air is a small device, but yet still too large for purposes like I use outside the home.
In fact, I use the mini far more since I am out a lot, so my GF has been using the Air .

PortableOne.com

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2014
Pleasanton, CA
I kind of do that. My Air never leaves the house. I have an LTE RMini that I take with me almost all the time when I leave home. I out a black smart case on it, so I can shove under my car seat, glove box, etc and not have damage. The Air is a small device, but yet still too large for purposes like I use outside the home.
In fact, I use the mini far more since I am out a lot, so my GF has been using the Air .

Ditto. I was favoring the iPad Mini over the iPad 3. Lighter, easier to handle, etc. but with the iPad Air... It feels good to hold, is better sized and at the new weight, I'm back to leaving my iPad Mini for the road. It's handy out at lunch, on the road, etc.

kamuix

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2011
california
It all depends on what you plan to use your device for. That was the reasoning that I had when I decided to finally step into the game of ipads. The plan was to use it for reviewing notes, such as power points, word docs, and graphs. I was torn between the mini and the air. The mini, I liked for it's small size and portability. The air was great as it had the larger screen, plus it's light. My dad went from and ipad 2 to a mini as he liked the size and portability. At the store I was messing around with both and in the end I decided to go with the air. This was after careful consideration as what would be the best device to do the things I wanted. The air had a nice big screen, so I could review my notes easier than the mini.

If this was a purchase for personal usage, I might have gone with the mini. The goal is to choose the correct device for the purpose you need it for. Both the mini and air are great in their own way. I also like how it's a great way to check email and what not without having to wake up my macbook pro.

rpol

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2014
i love the bigger screen size of the air, however the mini is nice too.. my gf has it and i might consider switching. easy to hold and operate with one hand

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.