Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mathieulh

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2011
iPhones hold their own longer than android devices. We are 11 months into the iPhone 4's life and its still selling well so im not sure how you think they are obsolete? People buy what they want and that is something you cannot argue against.

Your second point, Apple aren't forcing me to do anything. Apple do offer the best customer service, that cannot be argued.

Oh ! right, they aren't forcing you of not using flash in the web browser, running "approved" applications from their app store...

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2010
I suppose some people still think this is a great phone,iOS and Apps market. It's Apple, you either love the product or hate it.

iPhone's hold their resale value more than any other phone, most people want one and those that don't well?, each to their own.

Personally I still think the competition has to catch up, half of these other Smartphone are huge and lacking in the WOW factor

+1

People are just bitter Apple are doing so well.

bpaluzzi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2010
London
Oh ! right, they aren't forcing you of not using flash in the web browser, running "approved" applications from their app store...

Nope, not forcing you. Your choice is simple: Don't buy it.

If anyone but geeks cared about these things, Apple wouldn't have the #1 mobile OS, the #1 and #2 best selling phone handsets, and the #1 selling tablet.

But go ahead, don't let facts get in the way of your rant. ;-)

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2010

they aren't forcing me not to jailbreak either ;).

its a matter of preference......i hate flash on my web browser on my laptop (ads) so why would i want it on my phone? its an inconvenience.

what has approved apps got anything to do with anything? i havent seen any of the apps that weren't approved so im not sure what your argument is there? if you mean android has no limitations on what apps can be uploaded then thats the reason iOS is better.

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
Can you have over 17hrs of uptime in intensive use with your iphone 4 ? Because with my galaxyS2 I can, it's not subjective, it's just facts, period.

Actually, yes. I make a number of calls, watch YouTube, text, browse the web, etc. After 2 days of typical use, I easily have 20% - 25% battery life remaining.

If you think I, or anyone here is going to take "your test" results as fact, considering your past posts, you're nuts. LOL...Any clown can come on here, and make blanket statements of how awesome their device is compared to x. Unless you did some form of a standard test, using both phones, its as I said "Subjective!"

Nice try though...

mathieulh

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2011
How did I use the wrong phone? ... I purchased the phone brand new (Just came out), and a month later it was unusable. How does that relate to an iPhone 3G using iOS 4? A month after purchasing an Android device and it's now garbage? You're comparing a 2 year old phone to the latest software. I'm talking about my BRAND NEW phone that was just released and within 30 days it stopped working. (It was the Samsung Galaxy S) I'll never go back after that experience. Oh and not to mention, it's easier to find a person who doesn't own a phone in Canada, than it is to find a person owning an Android device.

And about the rest of your post... I'm not going to bother as it's just going to turn into a waste of time. An iPhone becoming obsolete in a month? Thanks for adding some humor to my day. I needed that.

You probably had a bad batch, back when I still had an iphone, my brand new iphone 3GS had issues with its touch screen which stopped functioning after a few minutes, my mother also had issues with hers for which the microphone stopped working after a year of use.

So yeah, some phones have defects, either you are lucky or you aren't.
About mine I was lucky, the phone was new so I got it replaced for free through Apple care, my mother wasn't that lucky, her phone was just past the Warranty period.

By the way, did you know that android devices outsold the iphones ? It's easier to find someone here (France) with a galaxy S than someone with an iphone (although there are still a lot of iphone users out here)

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
You probably had a bad batch, back when I still had an iphone, my brand new iphone 3GS had issues with its touch screen which stopped functioning after a few minutes, my mother also had issues with hers for which the microphone stopped working after a year of use.

About mine I was lucky, the phone was new so I got it replaced for free through Apple care, my mother wasn't that lucky, her phone was just past the Warranty period.

By the way, did you know that android devices outsold the iphones ? It's easier to find someone here (France) with a galaxy S than someone with an iphone (although there are still a lot of iphone users out here)

That explains it!

mathieulh

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2011
Actually, yes. I make a number of calls, watch YouTube, text, browse the web, etc. After 2 days of typical use, I easily have 20% - 25% battery life remaining.

If you think I, or anyone here is going to take "your test" results as fact, considering your past posts, you're nuts. LOL...Any clown can come on here, and make blanket statements of how awesome their device is compared to x. Unless you did some form of a standard test, using both phones, its as I said "Subjective!"

Nice try though...

I am not asking you to believe me, See for yourself get a galaxy S2 and actually test the damn thing. I am eager to get your feedback then.

P.S. Make sure not to throw your iphone 4 in an average bin, there's a battery inside of it.

mathieulh

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2011
they aren't forcing me not to jailbreak either ;).

its a matter of preference......i hate flash on my web browser on my laptop (ads) so why would i want it on my phone? its an inconvenience.

what has approved apps got anything to do with anything? i havent seen any of the apps that weren't approved so im not sure what your argument is there? if you mean android has no limitations on what apps can be uploaded then thats the reason iOS is better.

The good thing about android devices, is that I don't even have to jailbreak to run the things I want.

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
I am not asking you to believe me, See for yourself get a galaxy S2 and actually test the damn thing. I am eager to get your feedback then.

P.S. Make sure not to throw your iphone 4 in an average bin, there's a battery inside of it.

I've had an Android handset in the past already. No thanks. Hardware may be "UBER COOL", but the OS is crap. Have fun though.

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
The good thing about android devices, is that I don't even have to jailbreak to run the things I want.

LOL..I have an iPhone 4, and I haven't had to that either. I run all the things I need and want right out of the box!

iApples

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2011

Even if I had a bad device, I tried returning it to see if I could get it replaced because I wanted to give Android a go... And after TWO WEEKS of trying to get in contact with someone I just gave up. I kept getting told I'll get calls back and I never did. I also went to my service provider and they also had problems getting a hold of the company. After three weeks the company calls me back (After I gave up) and tells me I can ship the phone in and they would send me a new one. They said I would have to pay for express shipping, which was about $80 to the US. Excuse me? I have to pay for that? I just hung up, went over to my service provider again and purchase the iPhone.

And Android devices should outsell the iPhone. There has been 4 iPhone's ever made. How many Android devices are there? A couple hundred? You can't really compare the two in a selling perspective.

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
iPhones actually have a resale market, so no worries about that.

(Sorry, you walked right into that) ;-)

How true. I had 2 iPhone 3G phones. Sold them both for $250 US. And that was just a couple months ago...

I did see a few HTC phones on CL though. I think they were going for like $25...;)

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
...not that I'm complaining. I sold my 32GB iPhone 4 just now to get a Samsung Galaxy S II. I just love how high the iPhone 4 fetches despite the hardware being mediocre, at best.

Seriously, the Galaxy S II beat it in every way. It's got a ARM-v9 1.2GHz Dual-Core Processor, which is better than the A5. It's got 1GB RAM and it decodes 1080p h.264 MKV like butter without the need for conversion. It's thinner. It has a better battery. It has a better camera. Even with all this, it's barely more expensive than a used iPhone 4.

It's a no brainer for me to upgrade when I saw the SGS II. It's the first Android phone that actually appealed to me after using iOS since 2007. I've done a lot of research, and Android is definitely not the immature platform with no apps that many iPhone users still assume. I can't find anything I currently do on my iPhone that I can't do on Android. But vice versa, nope. I can't wirelessly sync my music, can I? :rolleyes:

Oh well. I guess it's because of ignorance that my iPhone 4 can fetch such a good price on eBay. The SGS II is going to be my new baby until Steve pulls out the iPhone 5 this September. That thing will have to be really magical for me to switch back now. If the iPhone 5 is just going to run the A5, it's not going to match the SGS II, and with the closed nature of iOS, I hardly think I'll be able to play my anime unconverted.

Well, I'll wait and see.

Your post is just proof again that people like different things, that's fine.

I dislike the SGS II almost as much as I do Android, there's no comparison to the iPhone 4, for me the iPhone is much better.

For you it's about spec's. For me it's about user experience ... the iPhone does what I need to do in a better, faster more enjoyable way than any phone I've tried so far.

I try just about every gsm android phone and blackberry upon release. I've turned off my iPhone 4 to give various Samsung's, HTC's and Blackberry's a good try, each time I couldn't get back to my iPhone 4 fast enough.

All around it's the best there is, period.

MisterDisney

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
I feel like I learned my lesson with the Epic 4G. It's a nice device, but way too much hassle to get my music on and forget about other media off of iTunes. Plus, it was as if Samsung forgot about the phone the month after it came out.. Took ages just to get Froyo. And if I don't touch it for a day, I pick it up and the battery is dead anyway. I don't care how flashy the hardware gets, I'm sticking to what works for me and that's the iPhone.

SideStepSociety

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Sounds to me like someone is trying to convince themselves that they bought a good phone...

I have dabbled with Android slightly, but I'm still new to the OS.

iOS has Infinity Blade, Real Racing 2, N.O.V.A, which are astoundingly beautiful looking and take full advantage of the hardware.

...What does Android have that's similar to this? In my experience, it seems Angry Birds pushes a lot of Android phones pretty hard...

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
Your post is just proof again that people like different things, that's fine.

I dislike the SGS II almost as much as I do Android, there's no comparison to the iPhone 4, for me the iPhone is much better.

For you it's about spec's. For me it's about user experience ... the iPhone does what I need to do in a better, faster more enjoyable way than any phone I've tried so far.

I try just about every gsm android phone and blackberry upon release. I've turned off my iPhone 4 to give various Samsung's, HTC's and Blackberry's a good try, each time I couldn't get back to my iPhone 4 fast enough.

All around it's the best there is, period.

It's all personal choice. Like I've said, it's a really small percentage of Android users that care about all the specs, and customizations. When people are pro iPhone, the only argument of rebuttal they have is "Look at how much better the specs are!" or "Ya, but I can root my phone!"

Old, tired argument really. Kinda like the "I can build a better, faster Windows PC" thing...YAWN...

mathieulh

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2011
Sounds to me like someone is trying to convince themselves that they bought a good phone...

I have dabbled with Android slightly, but I'm still new to the OS.

iOS has Infinity Blade, Real Racing 2, N.O.V.A, which are astoundingly beautiful looking and take full advantage of the hardware.

...What does Android have that's similar to this? In my experience, it seems Angry Birds pushes a lot of Android phones pretty hard...

We do have NOVA on android, but I agree that the iOS is better for games, it's the only thing it's actually better at.

malnar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
Amazing this argument comes up over and over again. It's basically the same thing couched in different ways: why don't people like my Android variant as much as the iPhone? Why don't you just ask regular, non-forum people? You'll get your answer. Stop asking us, Apple-geeks, and you'll find out why. We tell you, but you don't believe it. I'll say it again, just to make sure it's obvious: the iPhone and its OS is nicer. That's it. There's not some cult-like mentality among people out there. They just like the iPhone because it's a nice phone and the OS is dead-simple to use. For whatever reason, that doesn't qualify as an answer to you Android fans.

Most of the things Android fans cite as major issues with iOS just aren't issues for normal people. Over-the-air syncing and updates? Who cares? Maybe it would be nice but it's seriously not a big deal. I'm on my computer *every* day, so connecting a device while I'm there is not going to upset me. Widgets? You all seem to think these are a huge deal but I've never seen one that even made me think "neat," let alone feel even slightly jealous. Animated backgrounds? No thank you - the screen is busy enough with all the apps.

The one thing that I can agree on is a better notification system, and I would guess most iPhone users would agree. I think it's coming in iOS 5, however. But as it is, it's not enough to make me even *think* about an Android phone. I think they're just awful, frankly. I love my iPhone, unapologetically.

SideStepSociety

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2011
Vancouver, BC
We do have NOVA on android, but I agree that the iOS is better for games, it's the only thing it's actually better at.

Well then what do you really need these insane specs for? Texting? Making phone calls? Does your voice reach the other end faster than an iPhone? What good are high specs if you've got nothing to use them with?

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009

Again..Subjective...

Just like my views on Android are...such as:

- Exchange email sucks. No push, stops working, clunky.
- User interface lags. Not smooth at all.
- Apps crash constantly, requiring the phone to be rebooted.
- Phone just freezes, and nothing works. Again, reboot.
- Music synching, libraries are all clunky.
- Interface is inconsistent.

These are MY VIEWS. This is what I think of Android, and the handsets I've used [One an HTC Desire, the other a Inspire]. One had Sense, the other was using a 3rd party launcher.

Based on all that, my experience, with 2 different models of phones were bad. Therefore, this is fact based on my experience, so everyone needs to listen to me. Right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.