Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Well, seems like I've to get one additional old cheapo Wiimote controller (white, bah! :D), too then. Good that they announced that Luigi game, so there's another argument (read game) for having two.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
It is quite odd that the Pro Controller can't be used - I thought it could for single player - guess not.

Yes, you would think that if you can use a WiiMote on a Wii U game, you should be able to use the Wii U Pro controller instead (btw - the best and most comfortable controller for me to date). But, no? You can use the Wii U Pro controller to navigate and launch the game but then turns off when the game starts.

I wrote Nintendo regarding this. They forwarded onto the developers. Doubtful though.

Also, I just figured out, what if the Touchpad controller breaks? Now it's gotta get repaired? No just going to get a used one or even just use a different controller?

I'm starting to think the expensive Touchpad was a bit of a blunder...

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
I love the GamePad - it really has created some unique gaming experiences that other consoles and systems aren't offering. If it does get broken Nintendo will help you out I'm sure.

There may be an update to Mario to allow for that. Most games support it, but it sucks when first party ones don't. I bought it just a week ago, and it is very comfy.

Overall very happy with both controllers - they are so comfortable and easy to use. I do with the XY and AB had different sized buttons so it would be easier to remember which is which, but beyond that they are really great.

I think in a year or so we will be able to buy another GamePad. Nintendo doesn't want Wii owners buying a Wii U GamePad and thinking it will work. Basically once we have games that support 2 GamePads we will be able to buy a second. Not sure when that will happen, but the console supports it.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
^^^ thanks.

I see a price drop looming with the new consoles in the fall from the big two. Maybe Nintendo will offer the Touchpad on its own when some games that support two of them start showing.

Some of the older games have price drops already.

The console will start selling well when Zelda and more Mario and DK games come out and the price drops to $249.

Hopefully, extra Touchpad controllers will be only around $80.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
^^^ thanks.

I see a price drop looming with the new consoles in the fall from the big two. Maybe Nintendo will offer the Touchpad on its own when some games that support two of them start showing.

Some of the older games have price drops already.

The console will start selling well when Zelda and more Mario and DK games come out and the price drops to $249.

Hopefully, extra Touchpad controllers will be only around $80.

Yea I could totally see a GamePad bundle - kinda like how they bundled Star Fox 64 with the RumblePak.

The Wii U compared to One and PS4 may be pretty cheap. XBox I could see being $500 - a price drop may help, but I didn't feel scammed for paying $349 and having everything that came with that deluxe package.

Games may be enough to sell the system - this holiday year will have some great titles that I'm really looking forward to.

A $50 price drop would do a lot to get the system out there.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
I think I saw a Touch Controller somewhere announced for 99€, thought it was Amazon. But probably wrong on that one and it was just me dreaming.

Anyone here played the Bond Legends game? I read that playing it in classic mode comes near to the Goldeneye experience. Hate that there is no off-tv mode and that it's still very pricey in Europe.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Legends didn't get very good reviews - will probably pick it up at some point because I'm a sucker for a 007 game.

Japan is the only place they sell GamePads stand alone - they probably figure Japan people are smarter than us Americans

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
AAA game just released!!! Lego Batman 2 wii U is best version of the game.

Lego Batman 2 on Wii U is AWESOME!!! Better than any other version!!!!

Nw I'm a massive Lego game fan. This is the fourth time I've bought this game on PS Vita, PS3 and PC and now Wii U.

The good news Wii U is the best version.

They have optimised it completely, no more screen tearing, smoother frame-rate, better textures over PS3, off screen gameplay alongside 2 player gameplay where one uses the gamepad screen and the other the TV.

Seriously this is arguably the best Lego game ever, and its great to see TT have improved the engine resulting in a far smoother and better looking game than the other console versions, now I just wish they introduce a patch for Lego City which gave the game as smooth an experience in the open world areas.

If Lego Batman's city and outside area can ave you sizzling around at what appears to be a solid 60fps - its amazing Lego City stutters and struggles to maintain 30fps. Its clear TT have learned some serious tricks with Wii U.

The new textures are noticeably improved beyond even the PC version.

If you liked Lego City - you must buy this!
If you haven't played a Lego game - you must buy this!
If you want a Wii U game that shows off your wii u to its best (off screen gameplay, improved graphics over other versions, multiplayer with two screens) you must buy this game....

The Wii U was screaming out for a great game. Its just got one. Go buy it and support developers who are taking the time and energy to put something great on it.

------

Will update with Resident Evil : Revelations impressions and Sniper Elite V2 impressions when I have spent more time with them....

Last edited:

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
If you liked Lego City - you must buy this!
If you haven't played a Lego game - you must buy this!

Hmmmm, haven't played one Lego game so far, but this is tempting...:D

Did you play it locally with a friend? I'm asking because my girlfriend who honestly never played any console / pc game in her whole life is now TOTALLY sucked up with playing Mario with me (yah, finally bought two Wiimotes :mad:). A sidenote, hilarious to watch someone playing a jump 'n run for the first time...unbelievable!!
So having an extra game to occasional enjoy with her could be a good idea.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Hmmmm, haven't played one Lego game so far, but this is tempting...:D

Did you play it locally with a friend? I'm asking because my girlfriend who honestly never played any console / pc game in her whole life is now TOTALLY sucked up with playing Mario with me (yah, finally bought two Wiimotes :mad:). A sidenote, hilarious to watch someone playing a jump 'n run for the first time...unbelievable!!
So having an extra game to occasional enjoy with her could be a good idea.

Yep you can only play it locally. No online play. But yeah it's great and really works so much Vetter than the traditional tv screen splitting diagonally. :)

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Yep you can only play it locally. No online play. But yeah it's great and really works so much Vetter than the traditional tv screen splitting diagonally. :)

Thx! I was thinking about that too, but must admit that I'd have preferred both as an option, since looking together into the same direction / same screen has some gut feeling too (well, sometimes at least). Not sure how I like it playing a fun game with one person watching at the telly while the other one sits in the next room for off-tv ;)...but generally I'd agree, great possibility.

You played Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts on VC? That is one hard game :eek:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Thx! I was thinking about that too, but must admit that I'd have preferred both as an option, since looking together into the same direction / same screen has some gut feeling too (well, sometimes at least). Not sure how I like it playing a fun game with one person watching at the telly while the other one sits in the next room for off-tv ;)...but generally I'd agree, great possibility.

You played Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts on VC? That is one hard game :eek:

Sadly I'm old enough to remember playing it originally :)

Yeah it's a tough game the real sting is when you finally make it all the way through, it sends you back to the very beginning because it tells you you need a chest to complete it and it only appears second time through. It'd bloody brutal gaming ... That was a time before 'casual' difficulty turned us all to wimps :)

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Sadly I'm old enough to remember playing it originally :)

Why sadly? I'm old enough too, but was too young back then to afford a SNES myself. Those were the games I heavily dreamt about. But honestly, can hardly finish the first level...hope they bring out Super Castlevania (IV ?) sooner than later! Along with Super Wrestlemania, A Link to the Past and NBA Jam!

Antares

macrumors 68000
Why sadly? I'm old enough too, but was too young back then to afford a SNES myself. Those were the games I heavily dreamt about. But honestly, can hardly finish the first level...hope they bring out Super Castlevania (IV ?) sooner than later! Along with Super Wrestlemania, A Link to the Past and NBA Jam!

I doubt NBA Jam and Wrestlemania would ever get released. Liscense restrictions would prevent games like that from ever coming out. Unless they use generic, unnamed people and teams.

Because it makes me feel old.... :p

But you are old. The world is passing you by more and more every day. At one time, the future was all about you and your generation. No more. You're beginning to be pushed to the side. It is all about the kids in grade school, high school and college. The glory years of MRU are beginning to fade... :(

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

But you are old. The world is passing you by more and more every day. At one time, the future was all about you and your generation. No more. You're beginning to be pushed to the side. It is all about the kids in grade school, high school and college. The glory years of MRU are beginning to fade... :(

You could have at least handed me a bottle of gin before you hit me with the cold hard facts bud :'( lol.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Helluva bad day yesterday, someone?! :D

What shall I say with my decent NES career? Awesome times! But I shall drink a Gin, too since we're apparently all old enough!

But the fact about license restrictions makes sense - well, sort of. Pity that.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
The drive is 32GB I believe, and would this fit one game. Not really worth it..

You can connect up to 2TB. Or a smaller SSD? But am I right in assuming that it technically is not posssibel? Especially while playing in the other room, it would be much more convenient. Yeah, I'm that lazy. (But seriously, the sound of the disc drive drives me mad at times. ZombiU for example in the more silent areas: I hate it! Takes away quite a bit of the atmosphere.)

Edit: Poor choice of words: But am I right in assuming that it technically is not posssibel to install a game from disc?

Last edited:

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
I kinda like the fact Nintendo opted for SSD instead of HD storage. SSD has a better chance of lasting longer and not breaking down a few years from now.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Not sure how I think about this:

Just saw at Amazon that there is a plethora of 3d Sonic games available. Is there a strictly 2d version available for the Wii? I know there were 3d special sections already in the very early games at hand, but really not sure if this gets back the good ol' Sonic feeling for me. Hopefully a VC would do for me..

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
I have a really good feeling about this game - it's been said this will be the Mario Galaxy of Sonic games - that may be hype, but there is a lot of positive press about this latest installment. A reboot of sorts - in a good way

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.