Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Think I'm sold on this one. :)

Besides you, or someone else, happen to know of or played Trine 2 on the U? Sorry, really late to the party, but it looks fascinating.
And while I'm at it, NBA 2k13 any good? It's rather cheap here in Germany, but can't find a lot of infos about it, seems like no one's buying it. Could be a good time wasting opportunity while waiting to see Fifa14 (think I'll pass on 13) released.

Wow, girlfriend will start to hate on me! Hope she digs Mario multiplayer...:D

Yep Trine 2 is another one I've got on all formats for similar reasons above (steam sale, pS+ freebie, and bought it on Wii U) and on Wii U it's perfect fit. The use of touch screen for the wizard feels far more natural than using right analogue stick on other formats.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Yep Trine 2 is another one I've got on all formats for similar reasons above (steam sale, pS+ freebie, and bought it on Wii U) and on Wii U it's perfect fit. The use of touch screen for the wizard feels far more natural than using right analogue stick on other formats.

Cool...

Here's the Wii U gameplay:

Http://youtube.com/watch?v=18Y-FrNRhUs

The 2D platformers are astonishing on Wii U (Rayman and Mario).

Wish they'd come out with physical copies on smaller games. The PS2 had games on CD or DVD depending on the size.

I guess that's asking too much at this day-and-age... :(

Wii U is great- it'll start selling well when they drop the price to $249.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
The 2D platformers are astonishing on Wii U (Rayman and Mario).

Wish they'd come out with physical copies on smaller games. The PS2 had games on CD or DVD depending on the size.

Yep. Quite glad I went with the 32GB model (mostly because it's black btw, stupid idea imho to distinguish those by colour), was pleasently surprised when I found out they have some more games available for dl, though. Since I'm not gonna play that much it'll be more than enough for me.

Hope they'll bring out a 2d Street Fighter / Marvel beat 'em up, would be amazing. Happy I went with the WU finally.

Oh, geez, still one hour left until I can unbox it at home. Hallelujah!

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Ok, first impressions re Wii U...I feel like I'm 10yo again :D

Hopped into a store to pick up NBA 2K13 before unboxing the console at home > then the agony, didn't realize my UK shipped U has different plug ins :mad: running back to the store again (first adrenaline rush since every store closes at 20.00).

Anyway great experience, played some Mario, Need for Speed and The Cave and love it so far. Have yet to play Zombi and NBA, Trine2...

...playing Mario actually feels like travelling back in time. Maybe I'm completely brainwashed, but seems like they didn't change a thing and it's still great. Only thing really bugging me is that when starting console with Pro Controller without the Tablet Mario will start but can't be played WTF?! Can't even go back to menu with ProCon and have to restart the whole console. Hope I'm missing something here, don't understand why I can't play with ProCon anyway.

Last thing I'll probably never understand is how one can release shiny black objects (console, Pads) but make all the cords and AC bricks grey?

But not to be misunderstood: fantastic experience so far!

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Ok, first impressions re Wii U...I feel like I'm 10yo again :D

Hopped into a store to pick up NBA 2K13 before unboxing the console at home > then the agony, didn't realize my UK shipped U has different plug ins :mad: running back to the store again (first adrenaline rush since every store closes at 20.00).

Anyway great experience, played some Mario, Need for Speed and The Cave and love it so far. Have yet to play Zombi and NBA, Trine2...

...playing Mario actually feels like travelling back in time. Maybe I'm completely brainwashed, but seems like they didn't change a thing and it's still great. Only thing really bugging me is that when starting console with Pro Controller without the Tablet Mario will start but can't be played WTF?! Can't even go back to menu with ProCon and have to restart the whole console. Hope I'm missing something here, don't understand why I can't play with ProCon anyway.

Last thing I'll probably never understand is how one can release shiny black objects (console, Pads) but make all the cords and AC bricks grey?

Did your wii u have to be updated with the big 1gb software update? Just wondering if new machines come with it pre-installed.

Last edited:

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Haven't checked for the size, but had to do some ~50min update. So I guess no.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Haven't checked for the size, but had to do some ~50min update. So I guess no.

Yeah it's shocking that four months in they still aren't including this update in the new hardware. At launch barely excusable, over 4 months in and that's just lazy...

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
Only thing really bugging me is that when starting console with Pro Controller without the Tablet Mario will start but can't be played WTF?! Can't even go back to menu with ProCon and have to restart the whole console. Hope I'm missing something here, don't understand why I can't play with ProCon anyway.

The game has to be compatible with the Pro Controller (I tried - it switched back to the touchpad - you don't have to restart the console, just hit home on the touchpad). The controllers that can be used with a game are pictured on the game's box.

Wii U comes in Black or White - combined = Grey... ;)

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Strange, the controllers mentioned are the tablet and wii remote. Pro doesn't work at all.
It shows so on the back cover and when starting the game. Once running I can press buttons as I like with the ProCon, nothing happens and I've to restart the console. Besides that I'd prefer using the ProCon it's especially bothering since I have only one GBR ac adaptor and can't use Wii + tablet at once at times. Temporary problem but still.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
Strange, the controllers mentioned are the tablet and wii remote. Pro doesn't work at all.

The Pro Controller Icon has to appear on the packaging or it won't work.

The Pro Controller will work with the Wii U Interface, and when I run a game that is not compatible, the console shuts the Pro Controller off. Hitting any button on the Touchpad Controller enables it.

Never needed a console restart though - are all the controllers paired properly?

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
The Pro Controller Icon has to appear on the packaging or it won't work.

The Pro Controller will work with the Wii U Interface, and when I run a game that is not compatible, the console shuts the Pro Controller off. Hitting any button on the Touchpad Controller enables it.

Never needed a console restart though - are all the controllers paired properly?

I guess so. Maybe I should check that, did just sync both. My problem is the need for an ac adaptor, since I'm not living in the UK but got my console from there (yeah, I know...). I just have one, so when playing and the Touchpad Controller runs out of juice, there is no way to recharge without shutting down the Wii U. That's the reason why I can't come back to the menu when started Mario with the Pro Controller. Is that comprehensible or poorly worded?

Besides that, I see actually no reason why Mario shouldn't be playable with the Pro Controller.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
A big system update is coming out sometime today - the Virtual Console is launching tomorrow - I'd expect a lot more news about Wii U in the next month or so.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
I guess so. Maybe I should check that, did just sync both. My problem is the need for an ac adaptor, since I'm not living in the UK but got my console from there (yeah, I know...). I just have one, so when playing and the Touchpad Controller runs out of juice, there is no way to recharge without shutting down the Wii U. That's the reason why I can't come back to the menu when started Mario with the Pro Controller. Is that comprehensible or poorly worded?

Besides that, I see actually no reason why Mario shouldn't be playable with the Pro Controller.

I don't get how you need to shut down the console to charge the Touchpad.

I put in a suggestion to Nintendo to make games that can easily use the Pro Controller (heck, you can use the Wii one) compatible.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012

I put in a suggestion to Nintendo to make games that can easily use the Pro Controller (heck, you can use the Wii one) compatible.

Well, I need the AC adapter to recharge the Touchpad. :D

But since this is a review thread, which I don't want to derail much, I'll just recommend heavily NBA 2K13 and Need for Speed. Just so much fun, even for me, and I have no clue.

Started ZombiU for the first time yesterday evening, but fear it's nothing for me. So good, I'm ******* my pants! :eek: Have to convince myself to play more, but seems like a legit successor of Resident Evil.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006

You can charge the controller while using it - I've done it before - it will feel like the old school corded controllers like the GameCube - the charging port is on the back - no need to turn off the console. It is a simple USB port.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
Well, I need the AC adapter to recharge the Touchpad. :D

But since this is a review thread, which I don't want to derail much, I'll just recommend heavily NBA 2K13 and Need for Speed. Just so much fun, even for me, and I have no clue.

Started ZombiU for the first time yesterday evening, but fear it's nothing for me. So good, I'm ******* my pants! :eek: Have to convince myself to play more, but seems like a legit successor of Resident Evil.

You can charge the controller while using it - I've done it before - it will feel like the old school corded controllers like the GameCube - the charging port is on the back - no need to turn off the console. It is a simple USB port.

Yes, I've done it plenty of times but using the power cord.

Note that though it is a USB Port, Nintendo supplies it's own power adapter as a standard tablet or smartphone adapter may not have enough power for the Touchpad.

mrmarts

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2009
Melbourne Australia
Hey guys

I just got a Nintendo Wii U, yet with such a lacklustre Wii U line up, and the fact that I am new to Nintendo. i have been lured to older titles like Donkey Country Returns, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Sonic Colours, Super Paper Mario and Rayman origins, Mario Tennis etc.

My taste buds crave for signature and exclusive titles on the Wii U. I'am in the market for fun games like Rayman Legends, Zelda Wind Waker, the New Mega Man and hopefully in the near future the new Zelda, Mario Kart, Warioware titles etc, you know the games that make Nintendo shine (well at least light up my gamepad).

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
I am also enjoying the Wii U - I never had a Wii so for the first time I'm experiencing that entire catalogue plus the select Wii U games that are also top notch.

I'm confident more games will come to the Wii U, but for now it is awesome playing the Wii games and Wii U games on one system. (Mario Galaxy 2 is a stunning game - I've been missing out these past 6 years!)

mrmarts

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2009
Melbourne Australia
I am also enjoying the Wii U - I never had a Wii so for the first time I'm experiencing that entire catalogue plus the select Wii U games that are also top notch.

I'm confident more games will come to the Wii U, but for now it is awesome playing the Wii games and Wii U games on one system. (Mario Galaxy 2 is a stunning game - I've been missing out these past 6 years!)

I agree with you, it's like when I crossed over from PC to Mac I had so much fun learning the ins and out of Apples Robust Osx. Now 3 years later I am crossing over from a Sony PS3 to a Wii u. Sony has some great graphic games grand theft auto, gran turismo, killzone. but the fun lies in Nintendo.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Yea there is something special about Nintendo games - I'm not a fan that many PS3 and XBox 360 games look like a movie, I like the fact that Nintendo still knows what a video game is :)

I'm eager to see the Virtual Console come out this week - I never owned a SNES and only played Super Mario World when I visited my friends house - so that'll be a new game for me :)

mrmarts

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2009
Melbourne Australia
I am tempted to get the snes version of super mario bros from virtual console. But I think I will grab legend of Zelda Skyward Sword instead. I will hold out on virtual console and see what other signature titles come out I hope we see mario sunshine and luigis mansion.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
I am tempted to get the snes version of super mario bros from virtual console. But I think I will grab legend of Zelda skyward sword instead. I will leave games like Mario kart and Warioware for the Wii U.

Yea I am rather excited to get into the Zelda franchise - I never cared for the 2D Zeldas as I could never finish the games and got frustrated.

I think the 3D Zeldas will be much more approachable for me. Will probably start on my 3DS XL by playing the remastered Ocarina of Time and then go from there.

I am amazed at how large some of these games are - Galaxy 2 - feels like it will be a 70 hour game - not sure if that is accurate or not - but it feels rather huge and never ending!

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Yea there is something special about Nintendo games - I'm not a fan that many PS3 and XBox 360 games look like a movie, I like the fact that Nintendo still knows what a video game is :)

I'm eager to see the Virtual Console come out this week - I never owned a SNES and only played Super Mario World when I visited my friends house - so that'll be a new game for me :)

Me, too - me, too!!!

Zelda, Mario and Super Street Fighter II. Nuff' said.:D (Was there a NBA Jam for SNES - I'll get that...oh wait there was an awesome Tiny Toons Basketball game..

..ok, Looney Toons it was, but it's awesome (Elmar and Marvin ruled!). Would be so cool if they could fit in online multiplayer options into the old games. Would make it incredible more tempting.

Last edited:

mrmarts

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2009
Melbourne Australia
To put it mildly what makes the WII U great is that Nintendo has once again proven that specs are ******** (much like Apple has done with their iPad Mini). The Wii U does not look good on paper. It’s got a slow processor, bad graphics, and well, just looks like a last generation product. But once you hold the gamepad or even the WII remote, you realize that this is nothing but brilliant, one just needs to look at games like Zelda and Super Mario Galaxy to fall instantly in love with the whimsical characters and magical settings.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.