Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmann

macrumors 604
To put it mildly what makes the WII U great is that Nintendo has once again proven that specs are ******** (much like Apple has done with their iPad Mini). The Wii U does not look good on paper. It’s got a slow processor, bad graphics, and well, just looks like a last generation product. But once you hold the gamepad or even the WII remote, you realize that this is nothing but brilliant.

I agree.

Until you and your friends are screaming in delight and rage while playing Sweet Day on Nintendo Land will you understand how awesome the Wii U can be. There are so many possibilities for new game concepts.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Yea I think most tech and gaming sites are blowing that out of proportion.

Nintendo will still have huge announcements at E3 - they will just share the news in different venues.

mrmarts

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2009
Melbourne Australia
I am considering getting both Zelda twilight princess and skyward sword. However as I haven't played neither, I have turned to the reviews which state they fair similar in gameplay. To Zelda fans out there, after playing through twilight princess would skyward sword seem like a monotonous journey?.

Last edited:

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
I am considering getting both Zelda twilight princess and skyward sword. However as I haven't played neither, I have turned to the reviews which state they fair similar in gameplay. To Zelda fans out there, after playing through twilight princess would skyward sword seem like a monotonous journey?.

I haven't played any of the 3D Zelda games yet, will be starting with Ocarina of Time on the 3DS.

From what I've heard Skyward Sword takes advantage of the Wii control mechanism in a much more intelligent way.

If price is a concern Twilight Princess is much cheaper to obtain - $20 vs $50 I believe.

mrmarts

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2009
Melbourne Australia
I haven't played any of the 3D Zelda games yet, will be starting with Ocarina of Time on the 3DS.

From what I've heard Skyward Sword takes advantage of the Wii control mechanism in a much more intelligent way.

If price is a concern Twilight Princess is much cheaper to obtain - $20 vs $50 I believe.

Thanks for the feedback friend, I can get both on eBay for a little over 60 bucks. I found skyward sword for 40 bucks. However twilight princess copies are dwindling decisions, decisions.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
I was surprised that Skyward Sword seems to be out of print, whereas Twilight Princess is widely available in their $20 Nintendo Select titles - BestBuy still carries Twilight Princess versus Skyward Sword being an online only purchase these days.

mrmarts

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2009
Melbourne Australia
I was surprised that Skyward Sword seems to be out of print, whereas Twilight Princess is widely available in their $20 Nintendo Select titles - BestBuy still carries Twilight Princess versus Skyward Sword being an online only purchase these days.

I am from down under, and physical copies of skyward sword are plentiful, much like minions Zelda tramples upon. However to heed your advice, I will make it my quest to reach new heights by getting skyward sword.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Interesting - I wouldn't worry too much about not being able to find a copy of either game within the next few years as I think eBay will have those for a while at good prices. These aren't especially rare games - heck I can still pick up Twilight Princess for Gamecube for around $40 in box with manual.

jmann

macrumors 604

No, the control scheme of SS is great. Also the story-telling is really nice in that game. Some of the boss fights are repetitive in and of themselves, but you'll enjoy the game, it just has a slow start.

mrmarts

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2009
Melbourne Australia
I just reposted something I put together to shed some light of Nintendo's current situation from my perspective:

Many non nintendo gamers are taking a stab by proclaiming the certain dimise of our beloved chubby plumber. Whilst others eagerly await mario jumping across platforms, a similar faith which be-stalled Sega's much loved spikey blue erinaceinus mascot.

Their arguments focus too much on the fact of Nintendo being innovative or the fact that Nintendo games are not specifically aimed at core gamers. Yet they neglect to understand the remarkable trait of these signature titles that is the emotion and characterisation that Nintendo brings to the characters and their opponents, to use one example being the year of Luigi one can easily overlook his comically reluctant nature.

So is there hope for Nintendos salvation, as the Wii U is in its infancy, I would like to cite David Jenkins from Metro Games Editor:

"Nintendo are a hard company to understand, I don’t think anyone would argue that. But what always amazes me is how their rivals seem to lack even the most basic understanding of how they operate. Which considering how much time some companies spend trying to copy their ideas is bizarre".

That said on a final note, for those forum readers who are hesitant in buying the WII U my advise to you is that every time we support Mario's quest in defeating Bowser, we help Nintendo to dream up new adventures and scenarios. However by not supporting Nintendo we trap Mario in an endless cycle of failure, trying to overcome the torment of losing Princess Peach (Apple fanboys please look away as some words may be offensive :p) by sending him away to the totalitarianism of the IOS platform.

Last edited:

Smallville

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2004
I still have a Wii. My parents bought it for themselves, never played it, then gave it to me. That was about four years ago, and it's more of a Netflix box than a console right now.

But a Wii U that will have some new stuff (Arkham City, Injustice) to go along with some new versions of the classics (I can't pass up Mario games)? Yeah, I think it's time to start saving some dollars for a new console and some games.

I love side-scrolling, classic Mario, but I really want a follow-up to Mario Galaxy. Both the Galaxy games were amazing. I'm also looking forward to DuckTales Remastered.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
I love side-scrolling, classic Mario, but I really want a follow-up to Mario Galaxy. Both the Galaxy games were amazing. I'm also looking forward to DuckTales Remastered.

Nintendo will be showing off a new 3D Mario game for the Wii U at E3 - rumor has it that it may be shipping holiday 2013 - I'm not positive about that, but Nintendo is working on a successor to the Galaxy games.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
I agree with Smallville as well. I'm at a point in my life (;)) where I'd really appreciate a beautifully made 2d sidescroller. DuckTales? Awesome idea. And while they're at it Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Mega Man, heck probably even AlexKid..

...and if they really bring out sth like this,

sonic-generations01-640x360.jpg

I couldn't care less for mising DLCs or other doom and gloom. Don't care too much for Mario 3d, though.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I agree with Smallville as well. I'm at a point in my life (;)) where I'd really appreciate a beautifully made 2d sidescroller. DuckTales? Awesome idea. And while they're at it Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Mega Man, heck probably even AlexKid..

I couldn't care less for mising DLCs or other doom and gloom. Don't care too much for Mario 3d, though.

Lovin' Super Mario Wii U. Playing Rayman Origins and can't wait for Rayman Legends (played the Wii U demo) - talk about beautiful... ;)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Super Metroid is out on the Wii U for 30p/30 cents at the moment. And what a wonderful game it still is!

----------

A game they claimed to be honest to the originals, but they made the 2D levels and physics pretty horrible? I hope they don't bring out stuff like that. I found that game visually poor - mix of photo realism and block-coloured objects, no background blending. I tried the demo on my PS3 (30fps) and I could barely tell what was going on. It's easier on PC (60fps) but still not as pleasant as the originals and Advance series.

Mario Wii U and Rayman Legends have set the bar for 2D platform games.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Super Metroid is out on the Wii U for 30p/30 cents at the moment. And what a wonderful game it still is!

----------

A game they claimed to be honest to the originals, but they made the 2D levels and physics pretty horrible? I hope they don't bring out stuff like that. I found that game visually poor - mix of photo realism and block-coloured objects, no background blending. I tried the demo on my PS3 (30fps) and I could barely tell what was going on. It's easier on PC (60fps) but still not as pleasant as the originals and Advance series.

Mario Wii U and Rayman Legends have set the bar for 2D platform games.

It happens that I saw some Duck Tales screenshots today and fullly agree, it looks horrible. Didn't know that. The original was the bomb! I thought it was just a generic idea - I haven't been much into gaming for the last years, only recently because of the Wii U.

Edit: Wait, are you talking about Sonic the Hedgehog? Last time I played it was on Genesis / Mega Drive, but if they can bring back that feeling with HD graphics, what's wrong about it? Hope they don't make it 3d.

The Virtual Console is pretty awesome. Playing pretty often Super Mario World and Super Metroid since today and love it big time! Of course I knew Mario World but actually never played nor saw any Metroid game, such a cool game! Let alone the music...Now Super G&G and I'm set.

Last edited:

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Glad that there are positive reviews here of the Wii U.

I've waited to pick one up, but now EA are abandoning it, I have to admit I'm not entirely sure I'll even get the U at all, unless it's damn cheap.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Glad that there are positive reviews here of the Wii U.

I've waited to pick one up, but now EA are abandoning it, I have to admit I'm not entirely sure I'll even get the U at all, unless it's damn cheap.

For me I don't really care for EA games. They seem just slapped together with no love or care that makes games really delightful to play. I know EA is a big company, but they release crap games.

I'm much more excited by releases from Ubisoft and other third party developers that actually care about the quality of games they release.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
For me I don't really care for EA games. They seem just slapped together with no love or care that makes games really delightful to play. I know EA is a big company, but they release crap games.

I'm much more excited by releases from Ubisoft and other third party developers that actually care about the quality of games they release.

I get that... Personally, I no longer play RPG's (I'm not even sure if they are still called RPG's!). Definitely not a shoot 'em up guy either.

For me, it's all about Wii Fit/Sports style games, or EA Sports games (specifically FIFA). Which is why if EA are abandoning the Wii U, I'm very disappointed.

I only like having a maximum of one console, so I guess I'll plump for the new Xbox or PS4.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Ah okay I get that. I don't do much sports games, but understand their appeal. There is Madden and FIFA out for the Wii U, but as mentioned earlier they are careless ports of older versions of the game.

I'd expect once the Wii U really gets going this holiday that EA will rethink their strategy. I'll also be curious how uptick goes for PS4 and the next XBox - it takes time for any console to get good market penetration.

I also just like having one console and for me that's a Nintendo console. Should be a fun day to see what Microsoft does with XBox

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
I just got Fifa for the U and enjoy it pretty much.

Lots of yadayada in the media with Nintendo imho.

Three things I don't like / understand:

- BluRay player would have been perfect.

- Why can't Mario be played with the Pro Controller? Why do I have to buy two Remotes for 50€ each to play Mario with my friend? Not that strange Tablet style where I can put red and green blocks somewhere...fat rip-off.

- Can I install my discs onto a/the harddrive? The drive is kinda loud and it would be sooo much more convenient. I like to own physical copies, though.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
I just got Fifa for the U and enjoy it pretty much.

Lots of yadayada in the media with Nintendo imho.

Three things I don't like / understand:

- BluRay player would have been perfect.

- Why can't Mario be played with the Pro Controller? Why do I have to buy two Remotes for 50€ each to play Mario with my friend? Not that strange Tablet style where I can put red and green blocks somewhere...fat rip-off.

- Can I install my discs onto a/the harddrive? The drive is kinda loud and it would be sooo much more convenient. I like to own physical copies, though.

Glad your enjoying FIFA - I'll prolly pick it up sometime in the next few months.

Nintendo has never been about DVDs or BluRays, it'd be nice, but I'd want to use a dedicated player anyways that has an optical audio out.

It is quite odd that the Pro Controller can't be used - I thought it could for single player - guess not.

I think with the Wii being out so long Nintendo figured that most Wii U owners would already have several Wiimotes. I bought a Wiimote/Nunchuck when I got the U because I never owned a Wii. I'd be nice if they included them, but most consoles don't include more than a single controller. I don't think this is something to be particularly angry at.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Glad your enjoying FIFA - I'll prolly pick it up sometime in the next few months.

Nintendo has never been about DVDs or BluRays, it'd be nice, but I'd want to use a dedicated player anyways that has an optical audio out.

It is quite odd that the Pro Controller can't be used - I thought it could for single player - guess not.

I think with the Wii being out so long Nintendo figured that most Wii U owners would already have several Wiimotes. I bought a Wiimote/Nunchuck when I got the U because I never owned a Wii. I'd be nice if they included them, but most consoles don't include more than a single controller. I don't think this is something to be particularly angry at.

Fifa is very solid imho, got it new from Amazon for 18 GBP.

But c'mon, if I want to play Mario multiplayer with my girlfriend and can't use either Tablet nor Pro Controller but have to invest 100€ instead for 2 Wiimotes I call that a ripoff. Not sure why they have to be that darn expensive either.

Anyway, anyone enjoyed the RE demo? I'm not excited to get it anymore now imho. (which is actually a good thing, since I caught myself spending too much into too many games...)

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Sounds like you have a pricing problem overseas - Amazon sells em for $31 a piece - eBay you can often get them much cheaper than that.

It is both a blessing and a curse. I love the wide variety of control options that I have for the Wii U - it is nice to change up the controller from game to game as it'll make the controllers last longer and give me less of a chance to get RSI, but it can be a bit pricier :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.